View Full Version : First ride, first crash

DennyV
June 11th, 2012, 07:44 PM
So this Sunday I decided to take my 2010 250 out for my first ride, I did complete my MSF course a month prior, and haven't been on a bike since. My friend who was babysitting me on this ride was riding his R6 and taking me around the neighborhood single lane roads and some of the back roads. For the first hour everything went smooth, I just remembered everything they taught me at MSF and was able to get through the back roads fine, however on the way back to the garage, theres a 135 degree right turn at a bottom of a hill, my friend signals me to slow down, so I downshift, brake and like MSF class taught I looked pressed and rolled on the throttle, however into the turn, I felt like I was carrying too much speed and made my first mistake, I started braking, and at that point, I lost focus and instead of looking through the turn, I started looking forward, and straightened out the bike. I then realized I was gonna hit the curb, so I braked as much as I could, getting the bike down to 5-10mph and hit the curb/median and high sided into the grass. I only got a scrap on my shin, the bike has some small cracks in the fairing with some scratches, a rashed up rim, a small piece of tire missing, and a cracked tail fairing. We were still able to pick up the bike and I rode it back to the garage fine. Since this was my first ride and I didn't have enough confidence or experience, I didn't realize that if I had just let off the brake and turned my head the bike probably would've made the turn. I also should've turned in later from the outside and waited until I saw the whole street before beginning the turn. Either way I call this a learning experience, and I cant wait to ride again, The fairings are not going to be replaced because I'm sure more moments like this are gonna happen.

csmith12
June 11th, 2012, 07:49 PM
Welcome Dennis!

No worries, most of us have been there. Done something and knew better after the fact. Just take it in stride and ride on. Nice that you had a friend there to watch over you and help you out giving you hand signals and help along the way.

Be safe and enjoy all to come!

Motofool
June 11th, 2012, 07:52 PM
Welcome to the site, Dennis!

You did handle your first mishap very well.

However, it doesn't have to be that way or that hard.
Short easy steps will lead you to master your bike.

I believe that the first error was riding for more than an hour.
When tired, you can't react and think so well.

Best!

DennyV
June 11th, 2012, 07:55 PM
Thanks guys! Just a Pic from the better half of the day
https://fbcdn-sphotos-a.akamaihd.net/hphotos-ak-ash3/538590_10150970128313330_893726120_n.jpg

RiderOnTheStorm
June 11th, 2012, 08:35 PM
Great looking bike :)

I crashed old blue on my first real ride too and that really hard on me and my confidence as a rider. As mentioned above, get back on (when you feel ready!) and ride at the level where you're comfortable. Experience is the best mod for a bike.

Glad to hear you're alright!

rmorse
June 11th, 2012, 08:42 PM
Nice picture!

Where in MD?

DennyV
June 11th, 2012, 08:52 PM
Nice picture!

Where in MD?

Silver Spring Area

rmorse
June 12th, 2012, 05:11 AM
Ok, cool! I was born and raised in MoCo, grew up in Brookeville (right next to Olney). My parents are still up in that area.

folky15
June 12th, 2012, 05:19 AM
Sorry to hear that dude! Sucks that we can't get our moto license right after finishing MSF anymore. That delay after completing the course can cause problems.

Also, as mentioned above, riding for over an hour on your first time out prob was a bad move. I'm going on my first ride later today and it will be very short, thx to reading about your experience (!).

DennyV
June 12th, 2012, 06:01 AM
Just a pic of the turn I crashed at haha.. call me a noob all you want

rmorse
June 12th, 2012, 06:04 AM
You weren't traveling the same way that the picture is facing, right? You were traveling down the hill towards the camera?

DennyV
June 12th, 2012, 06:06 AM
You weren't traveling the same way that the picture is facing, right? You were traveling down the hill towards the camera?

Yeah traveling down that hill towards the camera and turned right

rmorse
June 12th, 2012, 06:17 AM
Yeah traveling down that hill towards the camera and turned right

Gotcha gotcha. About how fast were you going when you realized you were going too fast? (You probably weren't going too fast; these bikes can handle turns like that super fast. But I understand you were going too fast for your comfort/skill level)

The reason I ask is because at reasonable speeds, you can apply a little braking going around a corner. Just be delicate/careful.

DennyV
June 12th, 2012, 06:24 AM
Gotcha gotcha. About how fast were you going when you realized you were going too fast? (You probably weren't going too fast; these bikes can handle turns like that super fast. But I understand you were going too fast for your comfort/skill level)

The reason I ask is because at reasonable speeds, you can apply a little braking going around a corner. Just be delicate/careful.

Not sure, didn't look down because I didn't wanna go dow, but I'm guessing around 20-25mph

rmorse
June 12th, 2012, 06:28 AM
Not sure, didn't look down because I didn't wanna go dow, but I'm guessing around 20-25mph

Ok. Yea, you could definitely have braked a little bit going that slow, just don't over-do it.

Is the bike rideable? Can you practice that?

DennyV
June 12th, 2012, 06:52 AM
Ok. Yea, you could definitely have braked a little bit going that slow, just don't over-do it.

Is the bike rideable? Can you practice that?

Still rideable, I was able to get it back to the garage no problem

ally99
June 12th, 2012, 08:17 AM
The best thing about crashing is it makes you a better rider...every time. Glad you and the bike are ok. :thumbup:

Miles_Prower
June 14th, 2012, 08:15 AM
agreed with the whole over an hour thing...I think my first street rides lasted 15-20 minutes max. Long enough to have fun and get used to the street, but short enough so that my brain and body weren't overtaxed.
glad you are ok though! I occasionally have those instances where I'll start fixating but I just force myself to tear my eyes and mind away and trick myself into believing I'll make the turn no matter what and it works.

akima
June 16th, 2012, 12:01 PM
Welcome DennyV http://fc08.deviantart.net/fs70/f/2011/208/0/c/waveeeee__c__by_conniekidd-d41vh4d.gif

Sorry to hear about your crash.

Either way I call this a learning experience, and I cant wait to ride again

That ^ and the fact you're not physically injured are the most important things :thumbup:

mustang5.0
June 16th, 2012, 02:05 PM
your new.. slow and easy to start.. lots of practice before you go crazy places.. you cant go where your friends are yet but you will get there..
i dropped my ninja twice (insert sad face)