View Full Version : Helmet Fit Question

miss_syn
June 14th, 2012, 04:52 PM
Hello Everyone,

Recently I purchased the Joe Rocket RKT 201. Fits great around the cheeks, crown of the head, etc

However the sides of my helmet don't touch my ears. At all.

Is this a fit issue? Every other helmet I tried on was snug around everywhere.

Stingray1000
June 14th, 2012, 04:56 PM
All the helmet's I've tried on have been uncomfortable around my ears. Send it to me... LOL As long as it fits, it doesnt move.... you should be fine!

Alex
June 14th, 2012, 05:04 PM
Hard to say. It needs to be snug enough that it doesn't move, either when you try and twist it left and right on your head, or try and rotate it front to back (or back to front). If that's the case, it might be the right fit even though your ears are free. But it might just be that the particular helmet isn't the optimal shape for your noggin.

Gorilla25
June 14th, 2012, 10:02 PM
also remember that the padding does break-in and will get a little loose over time used.

LCR
June 15th, 2012, 08:00 AM
It should be sung all the way around but not have pressure points.

miss_syn
June 15th, 2012, 09:10 AM
Unfortunately this is one of the best fits I've found, aside from the ears. I mean, I look like a little chipmunk with my cheeks all squished but everything else is perfect.

LCR
June 15th, 2012, 09:53 AM
Unfortunately this is one of the best fits I've found, aside from the ears. I mean, I look like a little chipmunk with my cheeks all squished but everything else is perfect.

What brands have you tried?

xMoises831
June 15th, 2012, 02:15 PM
All the helmet's I've tried on have been uncomfortable around my ears. Send it to me... LOL As long as it fits, it doesnt move.... you should be fine!

scorpion? thats what my friends step dad he has the same issue but he likes his scorpion idk if he did any mods to it but thats what he has

alex.s
June 15th, 2012, 03:50 PM
put the helmet on, tight how you would wear it normally. now try to pull your head out of the back by pushing up on the back of the helmet and pulling down on the front. then try to twist your head in the helmet. can you get the helmet off, or to move on your head? in other words, can you shift your head inside the helmet? really try to force it... until it start to hurt. if you can move it or get it off, its not tight enough. cant move your head in the helmet without unstrapping it? good.

xMoises831
June 15th, 2012, 03:55 PM
Hello Everyone,

Recently I purchased the Joe Rocket RKT 201. Fits great around the cheeks, crown of the head, etc

However the sides of my helmet don't touch my ears. At all.

Is this a fit issue? Every other helmet I tried on was snug around everywhere.
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=rRmWBp65gbo
Done.

LCR
June 15th, 2012, 05:21 PM
^^^ This ^^^
The only thing they didn't mention is helmet shape. Oval Vs Cricle kinda thing I have a circle head O and wear a Shoei where as the Arai is more of an oval 0

O vs 0 therefore even in the same size the Arai doesn't fit right.

shiroganeshinobi
June 15th, 2012, 06:35 PM
If you know a helmet that fits you well, you can use the below chart as a reference for other helmets you could probably use as well.

I originally had a Shoei RF-1100 but after about an hour, I could feel pressure at the back of my head. I recall wanting to try out an AGV Ti helmet but only the T-2 was comfortable. After trying out Arai helmets, I found RX-Q and the Corsair V to be good fits. Sure enough, all my helmets are in the same category of slightly round shown in the link so I know my shell shape.

http://www.webbikeworld.com/motorcycle-helmets/motorcycle-helmet-shapes.htm

edxmon
June 15th, 2012, 10:00 PM
This helmet is made by HJC and is pretty much the same as the CL-SP, which is the same one I have. Im about to buy a RKT201 as a spare since it's on sale for $77.

Like some peeps have mentioned, each maker has a different head shape they model to, try them on at store to find out what size/brand fits you best and then order it online.

There is also a couple of checks I saw on a youtube video (might be the one above) to verify the helmet is secure on your head: Put it on with no strap, and try to roll it off your head by having some one pull it from the back.

leed
June 15th, 2012, 11:26 PM
You may just have small ears and big ear pockets in the helmet.. Just make sure it fits all the other criteria.

Also: Just wanted to note.. The biggest difference in the Arai lineup is the shape. They have different shapes for different lines. So saying Arai is more oval than Shoei is too much of a blanket statement. Also, if you're talking to users from different countries (no one in this case), you have to consider the helmets they sell to that market are different as well. Arai, Shoei, and HJC all do this.

LCR
June 16th, 2012, 07:59 AM
Sorry I only compare the top 2 from a company X12 Rf1100 and Corasir V and RXQ. But even if you look at Arais website they are all ovals now, they got rid of the Profile line that was round

I will never by a cheap helmet again. Shoei has saved my skull during 5 or 6 accidents 2 of which were BAD. Sometimes (all the time depending on your view) it is the features that make a helmet more expensive. And I'll be the first to say that a removable liner is worth its weight in gold those things can get dirty.

miss_syn
June 17th, 2012, 10:49 AM
What brands have you tried?

Shoei, HJC, Scorpion. None of them EVER fit right, except for maybe the HJC CL-16. I bought the RKT 201 based on this (http://www.webbikeworld.com/motorcycle-helmets/motorcycle-helmet-shapes.htm) chart. The CL-16 was nice but I think the reason I didn't get it was because I didn't want a black one and that's the only thing the store had.

LCR
June 17th, 2012, 10:52 AM
If you get the chance try on an Arai or Souomy

gfloyd2002
June 21st, 2012, 04:18 AM
But even if you look at Arais website they are all ovals now, they got rid of the Profile line that was round

Actually, the Arai line is quite diverse. They run from narrow to round. The Profile, which they still sell, and the Signet Q are quite narrow. The Vector II is on the narrow side of intermediate oval, the Corsair V is about dead neutral, the RX-Q is on the round side of intermediate oval, and the Quantum II is dead round. I believe you can still find all models new in stores. A helmet shape to fit every head.

In response to OP's question, the ear space would have me concerned. Try to move it side to side, front to back. It needs to fit snugly without movement. If there is movement, you may need to go to a narrower helmet.