View Full Version : As ninjette users requested. Info on ninja mod (picture heavy)

Luvninja
June 15th, 2012, 12:31 AM
I found enough time to write up some info about my modded pregen ninja 250. First a little background story

Why did I change the look you ask, Well once upton a day I thought I'd take a small trip following some "scenic roads" sign in my town. I basically just followed the signs for about 100 miles or so until I got lost and tried to come back home. Once I knew where I was I decided to make a quick stop by a bridge I had seen earlier so I could snap some pics... Bad idea, I parked on a small incline and when I came back to get on, the bike tipped over, RIGHT INTO A POLE! Scratched tank and dented it. All that was affected was the tank and I ended up changing the WHOLE bike :D

BEFORE PICS
http://i1116.photobucket.com/albums/k563/luvninja/beforeninja.jpg
http://i1116.photobucket.com/albums/k563/luvninja/A.jpg

DENT THAT STARTED IT ALL
http://i1116.photobucket.com/albums/k563/luvninja/dent.jpg

Winter came around and I had my chance to do to my bike what I always wanted, make it my own, unique. All the fairings were in great shape so I purchased a whole set of fairings and tank for close to nothing. I took the dented tank to a shop and had them fix it. Meanwhile I stripped my bike down and started sanding down the fairings.
http://i1116.photobucket.com/albums/k563/luvninja/STRIPPED.jpg

There are no pictures of the process of the modded front fairing. But I think everyone can get the idea with the following pictures. This was done with fiber glass and some Bondo to smooth things out. To put the new headlight in there obviously needed to be things cut and added.
http://i1116.photobucket.com/albums/k563/luvninja/front6_edited-1.jpg
Now the next big thing was that the headlights are too wide to fit between the current mounts for the stock headlight. So they needed to go, I ordered another headlight bracket and swapped them (I like having the extra, non modded, original pieces). I cut the mounts and also had to cut the mounts for the mirrors (red).

http://i1116.photobucket.com/albums/k563/luvninja/bracket-1.jpg

Now you are probably wondering how I mounted the headlight onto the bike. Well I didn't and haven't. With the mounts on the bracket cut, it left a nice smooth surface for the back of the headlight to rest on (green) and it doesn't fall trough the bottom because it sits ontop of the mounts where the fairing attaches to the bracket (White). The fairing fits pretty snug on the headlight also, so it keeps it from moving at all. I plan on fixing up something where it actually bolts onto the bracket.

Next I changed up the turn signals. I decided I wanted something different. So I smoothed out where the stock signals go and cut out the shape for the ZX14 turn signals that I ordered from Ebay. I had to fill in some cracks with fiberglass and it was a pain in the ass, especially when I realized that the back of the turn signals were so f*cking big that it interfered with the forks, when I turned it would hit pretty bad. So I took the lights apart and just used the cover of the headlight, bulb assembly and wires and crafted my own back and mounts for it.

http://i1116.photobucket.com/albums/k563/luvninja/FrontunPainted.jpg

CZroe asked
I plan to mount them along the front edge where they always go on OEM bikes (probably DOT requirement; can more easily be seen from side + front). Any reason why you chose to mount there instead? Will I have issues mounting where I want?

I don't have a good reason of where I mounted them other than I didn't want to try to even that whole part out and then cut out another spot. I was lazy basically :rolleyes: Which in the end, was more work. I think how you want it to be will be better because the backing of the signals won't hit anything. You might actually get to use the whole thing you paid for, cause I didn't :p ! HAHA

So then I painted everything.

http://i1116.photobucket.com/albums/k563/luvninja/paintingtank.jpg

Then put everything back on my poor naked bike, that by this time was naked for 2 months.

http://i1116.photobucket.com/albums/k563/luvninja/puttingtogether-1.jpg
Put some tinted brake and turn signal covers
http://i1116.photobucket.com/albums/k563/luvninja/tintedtail.jpg

And where did I get the windscreen? Same one, except it's under the fairing but had to be cut shorter to fit. Also the "dash" had to be shaved a bit, so the windscreen could fit.

http://i1116.photobucket.com/albums/k563/luvninja/Dash.jpg
http://i1116.photobucket.com/albums/k563/luvninja/ninjawindscreen3.jpg

After that ALL DONE!

http://i1116.photobucket.com/albums/k563/luvninja/AllDone-1.jpg

P.S I have no clue how the headlight is wired, I had a professional deal with that.

During this whole time I had no clue what I was doing... Never painted a vehicle before (unless you count a scooter @ age 12 with spray paint... started chipping within a week). Never really worked with fiberglass, I basically got lucky. It's not perfect but I'm pretty damn happy with it.

Next project... make it better. Aside from all the original fairings I have another set which I plan to mod a tiny bit differently

Oh yea, I'm a girl BTW. I keep getting refered to as a HE on here :rolleyes:

Avenged7Fold
June 15th, 2012, 12:37 AM
I'll admit, I'm tired and I didn't read a word you said. With my picture book reading abilities, I will say that it looks very good now. Great work :thumbup:

ninja250r81
June 15th, 2012, 12:47 AM
that's actually interesting :thumbup:

Motofool
June 15th, 2012, 06:16 AM
Thanks for the detailed post, Gabriela.

What brand and type of headlight did you use?

flynjay
June 15th, 2012, 06:48 AM
Great work!

What did you use for paint?

I'm just about to start painting mine. I'm thinking rustolem thinned and sprayed through a gun (if I can find a color i like).

315kid
June 15th, 2012, 06:56 AM
Lol when i see Gabriela I think "omg that is the coolest guys name ever"

Smmmmmoooooooooth

Momaru
June 15th, 2012, 08:11 AM
What brand and type of headlight did you use?
Looks like the OEM new-gen headlight

Love the mods Gabriela, they look sharp and definitely alter the look of the bike. :thumbup: I never would've guessed it's your first time with fiberglass & essentially so with paint.

Jiggles
June 15th, 2012, 10:56 AM
You need a girly avatar that's why like ally99

Stingray1000
June 15th, 2012, 11:33 AM

Your name was my first clue, but I guess I just see the obvious... LOL

CZroe
June 15th, 2012, 01:56 PM
That's because we are all sexist and unable to believe that a woman could possibly pioneer a DIY. :D

But, seriously: Nice job! Ultimately, I hope to get away with using the stock headlight, but almost all of this is relevant to what I want to do (especially the fiberglass work).

There are no pictures of the process of the modded front fairing. But I think everyone can get the idea with the following pictures. This was done with fiber glass and some Bondo to smooth things out. To put the new headlight in there obviously needed to be things cut and added.OK. Where do I buy FG and how do I use it? I don't have a clue! I have some ancient FG curtains (cloth) I could cut up, but what do I use to harden it and, if it's not appropriate, where did you buy the right stuff? Does it adhere to ABS well? Can I use it along with ABS cement and Bondo to repair seriously damaged ABS fairings?

Now you are probably wondering how I mounted the headlight onto the bike. Well I didn't and haven't. With the mounts on the bracket cut, it left a nice smooth surface for the back of the headlight to rest on (green) and it doesn't fall trough the bottom because it sits ontop of the mounts where the fairing attaches to the bracket (White). The fairing fits pretty snug on the headlight also, so it keeps it from moving at all. I plan on fixing up something where it actually bolts onto the bracket.
How is the aim? Is it still adjustable?

Next I changed up the turn signals. I decided I wanted something different. So I smoothed out where the stock signals go and cut out the shape for the ZX14 turn signals that I ordered from Ebay. I had to fill in some cracks with fiberglass and it was a pain in the ass, especially when I realized that the back of the headlight was so f*cking big that it interfered with the forks, when I turned it would hit pretty bad. So I took the lights apart and just used the cover of the headlight, bulb assembly and wires and crafted my own back and mounts for it.
Wait. Are we talking about the turn signal housings or the headlight housing? If you have pics of the signal mounting, I'd love to see it. My only idea was hot glue. :)

And where did I get the windscreen? Same one, except it's under the fairing but had to be cut shorter to fit. Also the "dash" had to be shaved a bit, so the windscreen could fit.
I plan to paint right over the windscreen. Would it be difficult to use FG to smoothly blend the windscreen into the fairing?

Put some tinted brake and turn signal covers
http://i1116.photobucket.com/albums/k563/luvninja/tintedtail.jpg
OK, this is getting freaky. That's another similarity with my project that I didn't know about until after I ordered mine!

That said, it is VERY hard to find a cheap smoke brake light lens now! Most places are out of stock and the ones that still have it seem to know what they have: a discontinued/rare and valuable item. I noticed that an eBay seller had two listings for blue brake light lenses and, sure enough, one was supposed to be smoke. There were only two left and shipping was almost a deal-breaker, so I ordered the last two. I'm sure someone will be looking for it, so I can make a little money to put toward mine and they will save a little (split the difference).

Edit: Awesome! My smoke turn signals have arrived along with my new anodized footpegs. The signals are a lot larger than I thought. I know Lockhart Phillips sells some ZX14/EX650 replacements that are lower-profile (don't pop out as far; they call it "Euro"), but I did not realize that the triangular dimension covered so much area. These are going to look nice! These things are freakin' hard to remove the bulbs on. It seems to be from imperfections in the mating plastic, which the original signals probably didn't have.

Luvninja
June 19th, 2012, 02:27 PM
OK. Where do I buy FG and how do I use it? I don't have a clue! I have some ancient FG curtains (cloth) I could cut up, but what do I use to harden it and, if it's not appropriate, where did you buy the right stuff? Does it adhere to ABS well? Can I use it along with ABS cement and Bondo to repair seriously damaged ABS fairings?

How is the aim? Is it still adjustable?

Wait. Are we talking about the turn signal housings or the headlight housing? If you have pics of the signal mounting, I'd love to see it. My only idea was hot glue. :)

Edit: Awesome! My smoke turn signals have arrived along with my new anodized footpegs. The signals are a lot larger than I thought. I know Lockhart Phillips sells some ZX14/EX650 replacements that are lower-profile (don't pop out as far; they call it "Euro"), but I did not realize that the triangular dimension covered so much area. These are going to look nice! These things are freakin' hard to remove the bulbs on. It seems to be from imperfections in the mating plastic, which the original signals probably didn't have.

I found FG at my local auto shop. It said how to mix it. I recommend youtube videos.

There's a knob on the back of the headlight that adjusts the beam of light.

And I was talking about the turn signals... Ooops, I'll fix that.

I mounted the turn signals by using some small screws, screw bolt and plastifix. I put the screws head against the fairings (treads up) and secured it by using plastifix. Basically plastic once it cures. Then I drilled some holes on my makeshift back panel for the turn signals, put the treads through the hole and then screwed on the bolt. I will get pictures of it someday...

Be sure to post up some pics of your bike when your done. :)

Stingray1000
June 19th, 2012, 02:31 PM
I found FG at my local auto shop. It said how to mix it. I recommend youtube videos.

There's a knob on the back of the headlight that adjusts the beam of light.

And I was talking about the turn signals... Ooops, I'll fix that.

I mounted the turn signals by using some small screws, screw bolt and plastifix. I put the screws head against the fairings (treads up) and secured it by using plastifix. Basically plastic once it cures. Then I drilled some holes on my makeshift back panel for the turn signals, put the treads through the hole and then screwed on the bolt. I will get pictures of it someday...

Be sure to post up some pics of your bike when your done. :)

Gabby, You should trade wif me :(

choneofakind
September 5th, 2012, 10:00 PM
Luvninja do you have your oem headlight still?

Luvninja
September 6th, 2012, 12:16 AM
Luvninja do you have your oem headlight still?

Yup, I try to keep all the original parts of my ninja.

Yasko
September 6th, 2012, 03:25 AM
Can you take more photos all around the new look?

choneofakind
September 6th, 2012, 06:22 AM
Would you be interested in selling your stock headlight or are you looking to keep it just in case?

http://www.ninjette.org/forums/showthread.php?t=113490

Luvninja
September 10th, 2012, 08:01 PM
Can you take more photos all around the new look?

I'll see if I can get out tomorrow and take all around shots of the bike.

Would you be interested in selling your stock headlight or are you looking to keep it just in case?

http://www.ninjette.org/forums/showthread.php?t=113490

Yea I'm just going to keep it around just in case. If something happened to the new fairing I'd have to put on the original headlight until I fixed it or made a new one.

choneofakind
September 10th, 2012, 08:10 PM
Yea I'm just going to keep it around just in case.

understandable, no worries! :thumbup:

Aeather
September 28th, 2012, 02:48 PM
I have a question. For the front fairing and headlight. Where did you buy the head light and fairing? Did you also buy all new 08+ fairings or just the front fairing and headlight?

Luvninja
September 28th, 2012, 04:47 PM
I have a question. For the front fairing and headlight. Where did you buy the head light and fairing? Did you also buy all new 08+ fairings or just the front fairing and headlight?

I bought the headlight used from craigslist but the fairings are NOT from a new gen. The front fairing is just modded.

Aeather
September 29th, 2012, 06:18 PM
I bought the headlight used from craigslist but the fairings are NOT from a new gen. The front fairing is just modded.

Ah. How much did the head light cost you? And the front fairing is stock then? Well was stock.

Luvninja
September 29th, 2012, 06:24 PM
Ah. How much did the head light cost you? And the front fairing is stock then? Well was stock.

the headlight cost me like $90. and yes it was stock.

Aeather
October 1st, 2012, 05:53 PM
And then how did you modify the head light to have that "triangle" added onto the fairing?

CZroe
October 1st, 2012, 08:39 PM
And then how did you modify the head light to have that "triangle" added onto the fairing?

This was done with fiber glass and some Bondo to smooth things out.

The rest of the updated look comes from the windscreen being mounted underneath.

Luvninja
October 1st, 2012, 11:54 PM

I know it's long, but my first post (at the top of the page) gives a pretty good idea of how it was done.

250rr
October 9th, 2012, 02:58 PM
Wow, Gabliela, nice work!

ninjaryda
February 6th, 2013, 01:45 AM
So the headlight is from a newgen 250?

psych0hans
February 6th, 2013, 04:05 AM
Fantastic job done!!! Gabriela is a very pretty name and now you have a pretty bike to boot... Lol cheers!!! :thumbup:

Luvninja
February 6th, 2013, 11:15 PM
So the headlight is from a newgen 250?

It was from a 2009 ninja 250

YunMing
February 6th, 2013, 11:17 PM
Have you worked on your next project yet

Luvninja
February 6th, 2013, 11:36 PM
Have you worked on your next project yet

Unfortunately no, I have a whole set of fairings waiting to be modded and no time. With work and finishing up my last few quarters of pre reqs for nursing I just don't have much time. But hopefully this summer I can get something done. I'd like to have the time to sketch something out, just something simple but different than what I already have.

YunMing
February 6th, 2013, 11:39 PM
Unfortunately no, I have a whole set of fairings waiting to be modded and no time. With work and finishing up my last few quarters of pre reqs for nursing I just don't have much time. But hopefully this summer I can get something done. I'd like to have the time to sketch something out, just something simple but different than what I already have.

Interesting i'd like to see what you do next. :thumbup:

Hero Danny
May 28th, 2014, 02:25 PM
I've been thinking about your headlight mod ever since I first saw it over a week ago. And I feel like I have to ask, has anybody else done this mod? I would LOVE to see a write-up of it. I think the only thing about the old ninja's I don't like is the headlight... And it would be a very fun DIY project to fix it.

misfitsailor
May 28th, 2014, 05:24 PM
Awesome Job! Now you have something really unique!

CZroe
May 28th, 2014, 05:44 PM
I've been thinking about your headlight mod ever since I first saw it over a week ago. And I feel like I have to ask, has anybody else done this mod? I would LOVE to see a write-up of it. I think the only thing about the old ninja's I don't like is the headlight... And it would be a very fun DIY project to fix it.

Finally ordered everything I think I need to get started. Not sure how I'll duplicate her windscreen mod without knowing how to do fiberglass bodywork but I will try!

Hero Danny
May 28th, 2014, 05:48 PM
Finally ordered everything I think I need to get started. Not sure how I'll duplicate her windscreen mod without knowing how to do fiberglass bodywork but I will try!

Oh man, I think I love you. Please let me know how this turns out. A good step by step write up or a video would be awesome! :)

CZroe
May 28th, 2014, 06:13 PM
I'll capture as much as I can with my wearable Looxcie camera but that doesn't mean I can edit it we'll enough to be watchable. ;)

Hero Danny
May 28th, 2014, 07:13 PM
It's fine, even if you could just do a thorough write up that tells us exactly what we need and what to do, that would be excellent! :D
-Also pictures are a huge help

Hero Danny
May 28th, 2014, 07:14 PM
It's fine, even if you could just do a thorough write up that tells us exactly what we need and what to do, that would be excellent! :D
-Also pictures are a huge help

Singh2jz
May 28th, 2014, 08:22 PM
You dug up a pretty good thread! Looking forward to updates.

Snake
February 22nd, 2017, 07:24 AM
Awesome idea! Deserves a big bump!