View Full Version : Collided with a bike last night

EthioKnight
June 16th, 2012, 04:16 PM
It had been a good day and when night fell, I rode to the spot where bikers in my town congregate to stand around, talk, oogle at girls and oh yeah, ride! Well, the ride was going great, I was third in a five bike staggered formation on the right, when suddenly a car comes careening out of the left side lane, forcing the bike that was to my left (09' ZX6R) into my path....well, I reacted by attempting to avoid him on his left (my right) (confused yet?)...the maneuver worked and for an infinitesimal second I breathed a sigh of relief...but then there was a loud CRACK, my bike shook and my, by now completely numb left leg, was thrown back off the rear pegs and when the dust settled I was right smack in the middle of the oncoming lane. Well, luckily, there were no cars coming my way, so I backed back into the right lane and gingerly tried to move again...well, it quickly became apparent that I had lost my rear brake (complete with the pegs) but the pedal was twisted so far back as to provide a place to rest my foot. Upon close inspection (my friends had turned back by now), it was established that my rearset had smacked against the ZX6r's passenger footpeg, rendering complete destruction to my brakes, temporary paralysis to my lower leg (thankfully I was wearing full race boots...broken bones averted :D), and a small and inexplicable burn below my knee (wasn't wearing my knee guards...:o). well, here are a couple of pics...The dude on the zx6r is a hefty dude and he said he barely felt the collision lol and nothing on his bike was affected apart from the broken nipple thingy underneath the shifter peg from it scratching up my fairing...considering his bike is probably the most abused and downtrodden zx6r on the planet, it took us a minute to figure what hit what lol.

http://img803.imageshack.us/img803/5630/20120615412.jpg
http://img189.imageshack.us/img189/3776/20120615417.jpg
http://img687.imageshack.us/img687/3918/20120615413.jpg

...and my only injury, which is already healing after a scream inducing application of copious amounts of alcohol ;)

http://img854.imageshack.us/img854/9546/20120616431.jpg

Thought this small scrape didn't warrant a "hold on to your seats and stomach contents, graphic image" warning lol.

One thing I am deeply thankful for is the absence of the girl that usually rides with him...she rarely wears any gear, and if I had smacked into the place where her unprotected foot would have rested, I hate to imagine what would have transpired...:(
What did I learn?...Expect the unexpected (which still sounds like mumbo jumbo to me) and knee guards are not for propping your laptop while on bed :o
Oh! btw, I used this little mishap to pull the trigger on the Xrace Predator rearsets! you see, there really is a silver lining in everything.
Thanks for bearing with me and reading this sh!t, much appreciated :thumbup:

the big mike
June 16th, 2012, 04:40 PM
wow, heavy. good thing you had your riding boots on, I would not have wanted to see your injuries if you hadn't worn them :p

What are you going to do about the big scratch?

mustang5.0
June 16th, 2012, 04:59 PM
wow..super minor but scary, im sure..you dont need rear brakes

glad your okay bro

EthioKnight
June 16th, 2012, 09:25 PM
What are you going to do about the big scratch?
wear them with pride, of course! My bike's officially battle scarred and I'm officially a vet :)

wow..super minor but scary, im sure..you dont need rear brakes

glad your okay bro

tnx bro! But I'm not braving the streets with no back breaks...about time I rode my scooter though, can't beat 100mpgs of torquey 50 ccs :

Vergil
June 16th, 2012, 09:33 PM
Glad it wasn't a serious collision and you and everyone is okay! Show us how the rear sets turn out when you get them too

Malicious Logic
June 16th, 2012, 09:34 PM
Sorry to hear man. Hope you get it fixed up soon. So I'm guessing he wasn't apart of your staggered formation? Trying to visualize what happened.

Jono
June 16th, 2012, 09:43 PM
ZX6R>EX250

Sucks man! Glad you were wearing da boots!

EthioKnight
June 16th, 2012, 10:34 PM
Glad it wasn't a serious collision and you and everyone is okay! Show us how the rear sets turn out when you get them too
Thanks bruh and will do :thumbup:
Sorry to hear man. Hope you get it fixed up soon. So I'm guessing he wasn't apart of your staggered formation? Trying to visualize what happened.

Here's what happened..in a really amateurish kinda way i.e. lol
http://img507.imageshack.us/img507/6302/crashschem.jpg

akima
June 17th, 2012, 12:47 AM
Sounds like an eventful night. Glad you and your red ninjette aren't too beaten up.

Maybe the rider of the 600 will tell his pillion about this event and she'll decide it's worth having gear.

No idea what's going on in that picture above lol. It looks like a drawing of something edible!

Matz
June 17th, 2012, 02:40 AM
You should get Puig crash bars, I grazed my mates NSR125 and those bads boys smashed his indicators to bits....OOOPS! :D

Mocha Man
June 17th, 2012, 06:11 AM
Here's what happened..in a really amateurish kinda way i.e. lol
http://img507.imageshack.us/img507/6302/crashschem.jpg

Looks like we have the next Picasso on this forum! :p

NDspd
June 17th, 2012, 06:22 AM
Ouch man...not much you could have done there. Glad you aren't too seriously hurt.

So what needs to be done you to repair your bike?...and you?

EthioKnight
June 17th, 2012, 06:58 AM
Sounds like an eventful night. Glad you and your red ninjette aren't too beaten up.

Maybe the rider of the 600 will tell his pillion about this event and she'll decide it's worth having gear.

No idea what's going on in that picture above lol. It looks like a drawing of something edible!
tnx Akima! for the good wishes and the new word I got to learn (never knew pillion can be used to refer to passengers) :D ...and not everybody has the artistic taste of an infant, I've been hailed as the next Picasso Goddammit! ;)

You should get Puig crash bars, I grazed my mates NSR125 and those bads boys smashed his indicators to bits....OOOPS! :D
I doubt that would have helped bro, if not made the situation worse. If I had anything else protruding out of my fairings (crash bars, frame sliders etc), I would certainly have been thrown from the bike because those things are tough whereas my rearset broke clean, dissipating the force and allowing me to stay on my bike.

Ouch man...not much you could have done there. Glad you aren't too seriously hurt.

So what needs to be done you to repair your bike?...and you?
Thanks bruh...My bike might be a little sore and scratched up, but I gave her a good wash, got ride of most of the scratches (they turned out to be dark streaks...:confused:) and upon the promise of these babies http://motorsport.sportisi.com/wp-content/gallery/xrace-predator-professional-racing-rearsets-for-kawasaki-ninja-250r/xrace-033.jpg she's resting and appeased ;)
As to me, thanks for asking, I'm great! The small burn on my knee is healing, as to my psych health, well, the next night I was out again, but on my trusty 50cc scooty lol! :thumbup: Not one to toot my own horn, but I was the star of the party...probably recounted the story a million times lol. So all is good:thumbup:
http://img137.imageshack.us/img137/3701/20120616437.jpg

lgk
June 17th, 2012, 07:00 AM
i'm glad your alright, do you have any pics of the boots.

EthioKnight
June 17th, 2012, 07:38 AM
i'm glad your alright, do you have any pics of the boots.

Thanks brother and here's my A* SVX-Rs...the part the covers the shin (large logo part) is what took most of the impact and apart from a little grime and dirt, didn't budge.:thumbup:
http://img836.imageshack.us/img836/9733/20120617443.jpg

EthioKnight
June 17th, 2012, 07:42 AM
...Maybe the rider of the 600 will tell his pillion about this event and she'll decide it's worth having gear.
This is what she usually wears...I don't even know what they're called (you might have an idea though ;))...sorta like flipflops with strings :confused: ...anyway, thank the heavens she wasn't present :rolleyes:

http://img801.imageshack.us/img801/6769/20391084.jpg

lgk
June 17th, 2012, 08:04 AM
alpinestars are well designed boots, and they're not all that expensive.
ill have to pick up a pair soon.

lgk
June 17th, 2012, 08:06 AM
This is what she usually wears...I don't even know what they're called (you might have an idea though ;))...sorta like flipflops with strings :confused: ...anyway, thank the heavens she wasn't present :rolleyes:

http://img801.imageshack.us/img801/6769/20391084.jpg

the lady looks like she's wearing a thong.
judging from the all the scrapes on the dudes bike, she not using her critical thinking. even if he dropped the bike at a stand still her foot would be badly injured

i had no idea icon made a plaid hooligan jacket, lol.
oh wait they don't...

EthioKnight
June 17th, 2012, 08:13 AM
the lady looks like she's wearing a thong.
judging from the all the scrapes on the dudes bike, she not using her critical thinking. even if he dropped the bike at a stand still her foot would be badly injured

i had no idea icon made a plaid hooligan jacket, lol.
oh wait they don't...

haha yeah, a thong for the feet...that's probably what they are. Dude has crashes 8 times in 8 years (he actually boasts about this lol) and he'd tell you he's not a squid, because a 'squid' is not defined by whether or not he wears gear, but whether he has experience on bikes...I've stopped debating the issue...but yeah, thankfully, no thong-clad feet were mutilated and I don't have to fix someone else's bike.

akima
June 17th, 2012, 08:26 AM
Her shoes look like strappy, flat-sole sandals. Perfect riding shoes :rolleyes: pillion squidette!

Ethio: Love seeing your scooter parked up with the big bikes :D Glad you got some attention out of it.

csmith12
June 17th, 2012, 08:44 AM
Glad your not hurt! Gear FTW! And now you can get some sweet rearsets. I really like those preditor's.

xSean13
June 17th, 2012, 09:10 AM
Looks like we have the next Picasso on this forum! :p

http://desmond.imageshack.us/Himg62/scaled.php?server=62&filename=crashschem.jpg&res=landing

Fixed!

alex.s
June 17th, 2012, 09:10 AM
cool exhaust bracket

Motofool
June 17th, 2012, 09:42 AM
Sorry for your bike and you.

Is the helmet's Mohawk intact?

NDspd
June 17th, 2012, 06:12 PM
tnx Akima! for the good wishes and the new word I got to learn (never knew pillion can be used to refer to passengers) :D ...and not everybody has the artistic taste of an infant, I've been hailed as the next Picasso Goddammit! ;)

I doubt that would have helped bro, if not made the situation worse. If I had anything else protruding out of my fairings (crash bars, frame sliders etc), I would certainly have been thrown from the bike because those things are tough whereas my rearset broke clean, dissipating the force and allowing me to stay on my bike.

Thanks bruh...My bike might be a little sore and scratched up, but I gave her a good wash, got ride of most of the scratches (they turned out to be dark streaks...:confused:) and upon the promise of these babies she's resting and appeased ;)
As to me, thanks for asking, I'm great! The small burn on my knee is healing, as to my psych health, well, the next night I was out again, but on my trusty 50cc scooty lol! :thumbup: Not one to toot my own horn, but I was the star of the party...probably recounted the story a million times lol. So all is good:thumbup:

Haha...alright man, great to hear!

ator
June 17th, 2012, 06:19 PM
Thanks bruh...My bike might be a little sore and scratched up, but I gave her a good wash, got ride of most of the scratches (they turned out to be dark streaks...:confused:) and upon the promise of these babies http://motorsport.sportisi.com/wp-content/gallery/xrace-predator-professional-racing-rearsets-for-kawasaki-ninja-250r/xrace-033.jpg

If you are ordering those rearsets off ebay it'll be 4-6 weeks before you get em. I ordered the oil cap and triple clamp from that guy. Took 4 weeks to get the oil cap, tomorrow will be 5 weeks waiting for the triple clamp (although tracking finally says it'll be here this week.

EthioKnight
June 17th, 2012, 07:59 PM
cool exhaust bracket
Thanks for noticing, you have a good eye there Sir:thumbup: They are the Evotech hangers, they're like the priciest of the bunch, but completely worth it in looks, integrity and weight savings.

Sorry for your bike and you.

Is the helmet's Mohawk intact?
Tnx man. I was indeed wearing my 'hawk that night, but nothing but by right leg was affected...so yeah, 'hawk still on and purdy ;)

If you are ordering those rearsets off ebay it'll be 4-6 weeks before you get em. I ordered the oil cap and triple clamp from that guy. Took 4 weeks to get the oil cap, tomorrow will be 5 weeks waiting for the triple clamp (although tracking finally says it'll be here this week.

aHH! SHIEST! I kinda knew it...I was going to order from Sportisi's distributor here in the States, but they only had the silver colored rearsets....and I'm anal about color coordination. well, at least I can still ride my scooty till then. I'm going to shoot the guy an email now offering to pay some more for a speedier delivery...fingers crossed.

Malicious Logic
June 17th, 2012, 08:29 PM
Ah, ok, now I see. Kinda looks like it could've been prevented since that's the kinda thing a staggered formation wards against. Oh well, what's done is done. Just take it as a learning experience and an excuse to pamper the bike with new parts.