View Full Version : 6000 miles and everythings needs replacing!

Matz
June 17th, 2012, 01:40 AM
Well not everything.
More specifically my tyres and chain!
My stock tyres only lasted 5000 miles, although that was good because it gave me an excuse to upgrade to the Pilot Activs.
Chain though....
My bikes done 6000 miles now and my chain is already stretched to the limit, isn't that a bit pathetic.
I been looking around on the interwebz and from what I've gathered the chain should last roughly 10,000 miles with minimum maintenance and anywhere up to 30,000 if cleaned and re-lubed every now and again (which I do) although I think 30,000 may be "stretching" it HA!
My sprockets are in perfect condition, the teeth are still very chunky?
Has anyone else had this problem and what do you think caused it?
I ride casually to and from work but recently I've been out every week or so on a 90 mile or so run with the likes of GSXRs and Blades so it does get ridden very hard now and again!

Any case I've ordered an AFAM sprocket and chain kit, I'll see if they do it in green!!! ;)

shadepixie
June 17th, 2012, 09:18 AM
Kawasaki green? That would be cool!!!! :D

Jim Moore
June 18th, 2012, 04:46 AM
My bikes done 6000 miles now and my chain is already stretched to the limit, isn't that a bit pathetic.

It should definitely last longer than that. Have you been adjusting it regularly?

LoneRonin
June 18th, 2012, 10:19 AM
I think your chain is loose, not stretched...

Jono
June 18th, 2012, 03:46 PM
Wait...we have to adjust our chains? :rolleyes:

EsrTek
June 18th, 2012, 05:00 PM
mines got 5.5k on it and in great condition, still gleems in the sun :)
I never adjusted it and it's always within specs. I only had the rear tire changed about 2k ago.
So I'd imagine yours should be fine probably not adjusted right from the rear tire change...

alex.s
June 18th, 2012, 05:20 PM
it sounds like the rear wheel is not aligned properly. this will make the center of the tire wear down very quickly and will stretch the chain.

measure the distance between the centers of the rear axle bolt, and the center of the swingarm bolt on each side. if the distances are different, the axle is out of alignment vs the swingarm pivot.

google "motorcycle wheel alignment string method" for a more thorough test.

Matz
June 18th, 2012, 09:52 PM
My wheel alignments fine, my chain is always adjusted correctly and it's reached it's limit of the adjusters so it's stretched not loose.
I practically worship my bike, pisses me off cos my sis never looks after hers and hers seems to be going fine!
I ended up getting a DID HD chain and sprockets and a scottoiler.
Chain ain't green though :/
But it is GOLD!!! :)

My local mechanic knows me well, he reckons it was probably just a dodgy 1 in a million chain.

Before some of you badger me, my tyres were on there last legs (since been replaced) AND my chain was f****ed before I did this......
.....that's kinda why I did it in the first place!

http://i50.tinypic.com/21jrpja.jpg

gwilo
June 20th, 2012, 07:44 PM
I see you are in Scotland.

You may have gotten a Euro Bike made for right hand drive (continent) instead of a UK bike left hand drive.

That can cause premature wear to the tyres and chain .

akima
June 30th, 2012, 05:18 AM
Cool picture Matz

I'm thinking of getting a scottoiler too. Mordeth13 just posted up a video and said that if you order it and put in the code "mordeth13", you get 13% off :D Did you get the electric one?

Matz
July 1st, 2012, 03:14 AM
I got mine for £60 brand new anyway.

No I got the v-system with the vacuum operated valve. Pretty easy to hook up, you just cut the vacuum hose between the tank and the throttle body and insert the T-piece. Then you attach the hose for the scottoiler's reservior to the extra nossle so that it can siphon from the vacuum.

I wouldn't bother with the electronic e-system, use the money you save from buying the v-system to get oxford heated grips like me.
THEIR AMAZING! They should be mandatory in the miserable UK!

Oh and gwillo.......what???

gwilo
July 1st, 2012, 05:53 AM
Humor :)

alex.s
July 1st, 2012, 01:32 PM
Humor :)

ohhhhh ok. for a second i was going to say... this guy...

Matz
July 2nd, 2012, 03:18 PM
lol I figured you were joking but there are a few members on here with...lets say questionable intelligence! :)