View Full Version : Police pull over biker to confiscate camera to use against others; makes up charge

CZroe
June 28th, 2012, 04:10 PM
eyYlRZAdPGk

I haven't seen this being discussed yet.

This is raw video. Relevant jump points are in the YouTube page's description, but here are the direct links:
"3:28 Initial interaction" (www.youtube.com/watch?v=eyYlRZAdPGk&t=3m28s)
"6:31 Arrest" (www.youtube.com/watch?v=eyYlRZAdPGk&t=6m31s)
"7:59 Final interaction" (www.youtube.com/watch?v=eyYlRZAdPGk&t=7m59s)

I see a lot of assumption on other forums discussing this. Number one is the assumption that he knew the other riders just because he was riding with them. This biker does not know the other riders and there were HUNDREDS of them. Memorial Day is a well known day for people to go riding due to being off work with typically good weather. It was particularly well known after many riders misbehaved the previous year and shut down a freeway. It's like senior skip day without the inherent rule-breaking. Better yet, it's organized like strangers lining up for a movie premier. You might know one or two of tens or hundreds of people.

Even though the cop says that he pulled the biker over for no other reason, he eventually arrests him on a charge of "obstructed plate." Now, it doesn't sound like an arrestable offense, but I know that many jurisdictions have more strict laws meant to combat criminals with devices like plate flippers and it may be allowable here. Even so, the cop later reports that it was the reason for the initial stop, which is an absolute lie. Furthermore, the plate was not actually obstructed. Undertail-mounted plates are often mounted much lower and farther forward such that the tire can block the plate at certain angles or when the suspension compresses. I've seen people get tickets for that, but never arrested. This guy's plate was simply mounted at an extreme angle (almost flush).

Jinx
June 28th, 2012, 04:53 PM
:eek: wow thats nuts. It looks like he expected the guy to just give up the camera and when he refused the cop didnt know what to do and got aggressive. Shoving the guy down on the hood and then slamming the door on him like that was ridiculous. I really hope that deputy lost his job. The stupid smirk on the second cops face made me want to reach through my computer and knock his teeth out.

Scattcatt
June 28th, 2012, 05:24 PM
Wooooow, I felt real, legitimate anger watching that video. I feel that police officer was way out of line.

Avenged7Fold
June 28th, 2012, 05:37 PM
A part of me always wishes it happened to me when I see videos like this. But only when I'm not speeding or anything ;) And I'd have to have a gopro or something on or noone would believe me :thumbup:

Stingray1000
June 28th, 2012, 05:45 PM
Holy SH**!!!!

Vergil
June 28th, 2012, 05:54 PM
It looks like he slammed the door on a part of the guy. If an officer of the law treated me this way, I would spend every chance I could fighting it.

LizFisher7
June 28th, 2012, 05:59 PM
That was WRONG!:mad:

massacremasses
June 28th, 2012, 06:16 PM
there is a dash cam video of the cops chasing these guys. Its a good video to watch as well because it kind of gives you the big picture. What happens here isnt ok but the other video gives you some context.

lgk
June 28th, 2012, 06:59 PM
i think it was handled wrong on both ends.
the cop was too aggressive with a non crime and was a dick.
the guy did not use his time wisely, and talked too much.

just call your lawyer, and remain cool.
after all you didn't do anything wrong.

karma has a funny way about dealing with douche bags.

CZroe
June 28th, 2012, 07:07 PM
there is a dash cam video of the cops chasing these guys. Its a good video to watch as well because it kind of gives you the big picture. What happens here isnt ok but the other video gives you some context.

Had nothing to do with the rider they pulled over though. That's like holding him accountable for what the other riders did exactly one year earlier. Legally, it's no different than pulling me over if I rode through tomorrow just because some other bikers broke the law on Memorial Day. :rolleyes:

massacremasses
June 28th, 2012, 08:18 PM
Had nothing to do with the rider they pulled over though. That's like holding him accountable for what the other riders did exactly one year earlier. Legally, it's no different than pulling me over if I rode through tomorrow just because some other bikers broke the law on Memorial Day. :rolleyes:

he was riding with them.

I never said how they treated him was ok. Just giving context. If you dont want to acknowledge multiple sides of the story so be it.

CZroe
June 28th, 2012, 08:27 PM
he was riding with them.

I never said how they treated him was ok. Just giving context. If you dont want to acknowledge multiple sides of the story so be it.

Actually, YOU are refusing to acknowledge it. He was riding with HUNDREDS of riders. That particular bubble of sportbikes was 50-100 bikes. He had nothing to do with them personally except agreeing that it was a good time to go for a ride. He didn't even fall in line with their speed. It's every bit as relevant to him riding "with them" as it is to me riding through there tomorrow. :rolleyes:

If you are in your cage and someone you don't know on the road does something illegal, is it OK to pull you over because your were driving "with" that person, like every other car, truck, van, tractor, and bike?

massacremasses
June 28th, 2012, 08:32 PM
Actually, YOU are refusing to acknowledge it. He was riding with HUNDREDS of riders. He had nothing to do with them except agreeing that it was a good time to go for a ride.

What am I refusing to acknowledge?

That the cops were out of line? (read my first post)

Im not making excuses for them, there really isnt any. However I was giving context.

I dont ride with stupid assholes, perhaps he wont either now.

CZroe
June 28th, 2012, 08:35 PM
What am I refusing to acknowledge?

That the cops were out of line? (read my first post)

Im not making excuses for them, there really isnt any. However I was giving context.

I dont ride with stupid assholes, perhaps he wont either now.

You STILL don't get it.

He does not ride with "them." He rode AT THE SAME TIME as them. It was a public event. Not a "group." Everyone in the entire metro area knew that Memorial Day was bike day. It was exactly like pulling someone over who had nothing to do with another biker at Daytona Bike Week just because he had a camera among THOUSANDS of bikes. Got it? It's very likely that he did not know a single other biker on the road. Here in GA, I don't.

If I commuted to work that day (I did work Memorial Day) and I lived in Dallas and I wore my camera, that could have been me. This is WAY beyond "guilt by associateion" because there is no association. Get it now?

Need another example? Freaknik. Mardi Gras. Spring Break at Panama City Beach. A rock concert. Are you a troublemaker just because you attended the same event as other people and some broke the law?

massacremasses
June 28th, 2012, 08:40 PM
You STILL don't get it.

He does not ride with "them." He rode AT THE SAME TIME as them. It was a public event. Not a "group." Everyone in the entire metro area knew that Memorial Day was bike day. It was exactly like pulling someone over who had nothing to do with another biker at Daytona Bike Week just because he had a camera among THOUSANDS of bikes. Got it? It's very likely that he did not know a single other biker on the road. Here in GA, I don't.

Cool story bro.

CZroe
June 28th, 2012, 08:41 PM
Cool story bro.

Just admit you were wrong and quit acting like a jerk. Also, read my edit.

Alex
June 28th, 2012, 08:41 PM
The problem is that whether the association was real or just perceived, it still led to a bunch of pissed off cops itching to ruin someone's day. His ticket was punched, and he was running an illegal plate. Cop was a mouth-breathing fool, but it was a a completely avoidable situation by the camera bike.

massacremasses
June 28th, 2012, 08:42 PM
Just admit you were wrong and quit acting like a jerk. Also, read my edit.

Im not wrong about anything.

CZroe
June 28th, 2012, 08:48 PM
The problem is that whether the association was real or just perceived, it still led to a bunch of pissed off cops itching to ruin someone's day. His ticket was punched, and he was running an illegal plate. Cop was a mouth-breathing fool, but it was a a completely avoidable situation by the camera bike.

Indeed. He could have offered the cop a copy of the video. Heck, the cop could have ASKED for a copy of it.

Im not wrong about anything.

*facepalm*

You said that the behavoir of unrelated people put it in perspective. That is RIDICULOUS and wrong. You said that he "rode with them" instead of riding at the same time as them. That is also wrong: He was no more with him than I am with you when we both coincidentally decide on our own to go to the same movie premier "for fun."

I am the LAST person to misrepresent a police encounter to make them look bad but I also avoid jumping to conclusions about them "riding together," especially when the whole story is right there.

Alex
June 28th, 2012, 08:52 PM
I dunno. I tend to agree with Justin. The fact that there were dozens of nitwits on bikes in the immediate area, riding in the same event, provoking the police and generally ensuring that something like this (and likely many other unfilmed things like this) would be a foregone conclusion. Here is that dashcam video:

L_bFKtx42AM

Vergil
June 28th, 2012, 08:58 PM
Haha, have to wonder what they were handing the guy that rode up.:rolleyes:

Jiggles
June 28th, 2012, 08:59 PM
[DEVILS ADVOCATE] All of these bikers are a bunch of ****ing assholes. They closed down highways and block traffic so they can stunt. Emergency vehicles could have been stuck in there. People on the way to hospitals could have died so these pricks could stunt on an open highway. They are dipshit assholes, every last one of them and they need to be tracked down and punished.[/DEVILS ADVODATE]

Cop was a moron

massacremasses
June 28th, 2012, 09:00 PM
I dunno. I tend to agree with Justin. The fact that there were dozens of nitwits on bikes in the immediate area, riding in the same event, provoking the police and generally ensuring that something like this (and likely many other unfilmed things like this) would be a foregone conclusion. Here is that dashcam video:

Alex said it a little more eloquently. But he is better at that than I. Thanks for the link, I couldnt find it on the other forum I originally saw it on.

CZroe
June 28th, 2012, 09:08 PM

L_bFKtx42AM
"The immediate area?!" They were covering the entire city! There was no trafficed area where there weren't dozens in the immediate area. that's exactly why I related it to Daytona Bike Week. As for the video, remember what I said about assumptions?

News 8 asked if the Dallas County Sheriff's Department was concerned about Westbrook's actions that day.

"We are looking into the conduct," said department spokeswoman Carmen Castro. "There has been no official investigation brought forward, but we are looking to determine if his conduct was appropriate for the situation at hand."

"Of course it's over a hundred bikers. Who are you going to pick?" Castro asked. "The ones that are going to help you a little bit more or had the video camera that would've assisted more."

When asked whether a warrant is required for the kind of traffic stop made by Deputy Westbrook, Castro offered no response.

The department released its own dashcam video Wednesday as proof that a group of bikers posed a public safety threat. However, the video did not come from the deputy who made the arrest, and at this point, it does not prove that the biker who was arrested was in any way involved with that group.

I wasn't the same officer and it may not have even been close to the same area. The event was THAT large.

Sorry. All this has been discussed to death even on the non-bike forums I go to. I should have saw these assumptions coming and addressed it in the OP so we don't have to go through all this all over again.

Alex
June 28th, 2012, 09:21 PM
I hear what you're saying, but I think you're still missing the point, if the goal is to figure out how not to be that guy being dealt with harshly by a less than brilliant deputy.

A: Avoid riding in large groups when it's foreseeable that a good portion of them will be flaunting the law
B: If you do choose to do so, make sure your equipment is legal.

Running an illegal plate location, running illegal blinkers, and any of the other small but common mods to sportbikes are clear invitations to be pulled from the herd, and made to answer for the perceived larger offenses of others. Happens weekend after weekend here in northern california near the high-trafficked motorcycle hangouts. (I.E. - don't hang out at 4-corners mid-day on a Saturday or Sunday on a clearly illegal bike.)

For what it's worth, it's something that sometimes has to happen to you first before it sinks in, and I got the same ticket at that same high traffic area at the bottom of 9 when I had a moderately illegal plate mount on the ZX-10R. Not acting like a douche to the admittedly douchey cop kept it as a $25 fix-it ticket instead of an arrest, but the lesson stuck anyway. It's just easier to stay legal. (Or if you aren't going to, stay the heck out of the limelight. I.E. a biker event with thousands of bikes and dozens of law enforcement vehicles)

PsHYk
June 28th, 2012, 09:29 PM
Wooooow, I felt real, legitimate anger watching that video. I feel that police officer was way out of line.

yeah it wasnt me or someone i knew or anything and i was getting pretty mad and felt like punching that fat fuk...

CZroe
June 28th, 2012, 09:36 PM
I hear what you're saying, but I think you're still missing the point, if the goal is to figure out how not to be that guy being dealt with harshly by a less than brilliant deputy.

A: Avoid riding in large groups when it's foreseeable that a good portion of them will be flaunting the law

Running an illegal plate location, running illegal blinkers, and any of the other small but common mods to sportbikes are clear invitations to be pulled from the herd, and made to answer for the perceived larger offenses of others. Happens weekend after weekend here in northern california near the high-trafficked motorcycle hangouts. (I.E. - don't hang out at 4-corners mid-day on a Saturday or Sunday on a clearly illegal bike.)

For what it's worth, it's something that sometimes has to happen to you first before it sinks in, and I got the same ticket at that same high traffic area at the bottom of 9 when I had a moderately illegal plate mount on the ZX-10R. Not acting like a douche to the admittedly douchey cop kept it as a $25 fix-it ticket instead of an arrest, but the lesson stuck anyway. It's just easier to stay legal. (Or if you aren't going to, stay the heck out of the limelight. I.E. a biker event with thousands of bikes and dozens of law enforcement vehicles)
That goes back to the original outrageous situation happening in the video: the officer initially gave no other reason for the traffic stop than the camera. It was the ONLY stated reason, thus, even if the biker did have a legal plate he STILL would have pulled him over. The officer states plainly the reason for pulling him over and then, only after later informing him of the arrest does he give any other reason. Furthermore, the police report states that he was pulled over for the obstructed license plate, which is a direct conflict with the officer's own words.

PsHYk
June 28th, 2012, 09:42 PM

L_bFKtx42AM

just saw this and i didnt see the rider in there and im not trying to argue either way im just pointing out but my question is if he has the dashcam on his Patrol Car why does he want the guys helmet cam? i guess for more evidence but does he really need it? but that does go with someone elses comment about just asking for a copy instead of just saying "hey im taking your ****" thats not how **** works no matter who you are

CZroe
June 28th, 2012, 10:20 PM
just saw this and i didnt see the rider in there and im not trying to argue either way im just pointing out but my question is if he has the dashcam on his Patrol Car why does he want the guys helmet cam? i guess for more evidence but does he really need it? but that does go with someone elses comment about just asking for a copy instead of just saying "hey im taking your ****" thats not how **** works no matter who you are

As reported on the news, it was not the same officer and was released purely in an attempt to turn the public against all the bikers based on the actions of others. Note: I did not say "actions of the few," though it is the same issue.

Jiggles
June 28th, 2012, 11:03 PM
As reported on the news, it was not the same officer and was released purely in an attempt to turn the public against all the bikers based on the actions of others. Note: I did not say "actions of the few," though it is the same issue.

Those bikers are jackasses, the public should be turned against them

Klondike1020
June 29th, 2012, 03:10 AM
They cops should have blocked off the thru way and arrested every person in the dash cam video. The one who was sticking his breaks on the cops and taking contraband from the truck passengers should have been run off the road by the cop . He deserves to be street pizza

And the guy with the helmet cam should have shut up and shown some respect, if you happen to be walking down the side walk while a riot it's going on around you - expect that you will get arrested with the rioters . Also don't get cocky and throw the cops pease signs and other crap . If they want to confiscate your camera tell them you will be happy to cooperate as soon as you are given the proper paper work signed and dated so that you can retrieve said camera from evidence. Don't tell an officer of the law that he is wrong and don't tell him it's bs - the bikers treating the law with disregard is the bs and he should have been occomodating the law.

All that said - the cop got heated and lost his cool. If you are in a position of authority you have to lead by example . Slamming a door on some one is never acceptable.

highpsiguy
June 29th, 2012, 06:05 AM
They cops should have blocked off the thru way and arrested every person in the dash cam video. The one who was sticking his breaks on the cops and taking contraband from the truck passengers should have been run off the road by the cop . He deserves to be street pizza

And the guy with the helmet cam should have shut up and shown some respect, if you happen to be walking down the side walk while a riot it's going on around you - expect that you will get arrested with the rioters . Also don't get cocky and throw the cops pease signs and other crap . If they want to confiscate your camera tell them you will be happy to cooperate as soon as you are given the proper paper work signed and dated so that you can retrieve said camera from evidence. Don't tell an officer of the law that he is wrong and don't tell him it's bs - the bikers treating the law with disregard is the bs and he should have been occomodating the law.

Either we have a United States Constitution or we don't. Tens of thousands of brave men have died so we could have our rights. It is called the FOURTH Ammendment. The biker was asserting his knowledge "correctly I might ad" that the police officer was in the wrong. When the people who are enforcing the law are wrong it is our duty to defend ourselves from unlawful arrest. I don't believe that just because you are in a group of bikers being stupid that you are guilty just because you were there, no more than being guilty because somehow you are caught up in some type of riot by default. The biker had a choice to cooperate or not. He should not have to be forced to comply if he does not want to. That IS his right. If he WAS guilty then he should not have to implicate himself in the activity. That is called the FIFTH ammendment to the Constitution. You can roll over and be a good sheep/slave if you want to but not me. I will follow the law, but no more or no less than required. Why? because I am a sovereign citizen who is proud of the system that our forefathers set up for us to protect us from tyranny so we could have liberty and freedom.

Alex
June 29th, 2012, 06:31 AM
I think it's about priorities.

When you wake up in the morning, do you say to yourself "today I'm going to defend the constitution", or "today I'm not going to do something dumb to get myself arrested"?

Those concepts aren't necessarily at odds with eachother. The more thoughtful bear can accomplish the second while also accomplishing the first. Those with unlimited time on their hands might be able to focus on the first without worrying about the consequences of the second.

Gurk
June 29th, 2012, 07:19 AM
They both acted poorly. The bike guy should've stayed calm and deal with it later since they have nothing on him besides the licence plate.

Cop is a loser and there's no need for any explaining why.

Why make stupid hand gestures to the cop while being pulled over? Does that make you cool or change cop's decision to pull him over? No. It makes the idiot cop have one more reason to ruin your day. They are human after all and far from perfect. Doesn't make his actions toward a civilian right, but explains it a bit.

Anyway... I hate cops sometimes but 99% of videos I watch are all avoidable.

Gurk
June 29th, 2012, 07:23 AM
Just watched the dash cam. LOL.

If I was pulled over and had nothing to do with all those riders, I'd be like "here's the camera officer. F@CK those idiots."

If there's anything I hate more than low self esteem cops, it's squids like those thinking they are too tough to obey the law.

highpsiguy
June 29th, 2012, 07:25 AM
I think it's about priorities.

When you wake up in the morning, do you say to yourself "today I'm going to defend the constitution", or "today I'm not going to do something dumb to get myself arrested"?

Those concepts aren't necessarily at odds with eachother. The more thoughtful bear can accomplish the second while also accomplishing the first. Those with unlimited time on their hands might be able to focus on the first without worrying about the consequences of the second.

When I wake up in the morning I dont say "Im going to defend the constitution". I wake up read the news and usually find how we are getting run over by our elected officials and public SERVANTS who have swore an oath to defend the Constitition. I wake up and go into the world proud of what liberty and freedoms that I still have left, because I know they are dwindling away by the day.

ai4px
June 29th, 2012, 07:27 AM
Shame on cops that lie to get what they really want (in this case video). I think it would have turned out much different if the COP had said something to the effect: "Sorry to have to pull you over, but we have a report of a possible drug handoff we are investigating, and we think you may have the perp's license tag on your camera." Dunno about you guys, but I would have shared my video. But... the cop had to be a dick and make up a bogus charge of obstructed license tag. You know COP stands for Constable On Patrol, which used to mean a foot cop. But lately the cops ride around in their cars with the windows up completely out of touch with the community. It's no wonder that they are not liked in many areas.

highpsiguy
June 29th, 2012, 07:28 AM
I do not agree with how the bikers were behaving. I understand the police officers who were trying to keep the public safe's frustration. I just don't agree with their solution.

Klondike1020
June 29th, 2012, 07:36 AM
highpsiguy
Hey I don't like the way our country is becoming less free each day.
This guy in the video was trying to be part of the problem.

I believe in freedom and see that camera being taken as unlawful search and seizure . But unless you are 100% blemish free don't screw with cops cause they can nit pick you straight to jail literally.

Do you think that crazy church protesting military funerals would say the same thing as you? Freedom and we are not breaking any laws? Yet what they are doing is obviously wrong . The guy behaved wrong... So they used the law to get him with a loop hole

I don't think what happened was right either way . Two people making bad choices on a hot day.

How are police supposed to do their job when there is no accountability and people are acting like anarchists

csmith12
June 29th, 2012, 07:37 AM
Sorry, the dash cam vid do not offer any context pertaining to the guy getting pulled over for HIS own actions.

See article here: http://www.wfaa.com/news/crime/Sheriff-launches-internal-affairs-investigation-in-response-to-biker-arrest-159941355.html

News 8 asked to see Westbrook's dash cam video. We were told no video exists and therefore cannot be used in the internal affairs investigation that is now open.

ai4px
June 29th, 2012, 07:41 AM
Sorry, the dash cam vid do not offer any context pertaining to the guy getting pulled over for HIS own actions.

See article here: http://www.wfaa.com/news/crime/Sheriff-launches-internal-affairs-investigation-in-response-to-biker-arrest-159941355.html

Isn't that convenient??

csmith12
June 29th, 2012, 07:43 AM
Why yes..... yes it is.

Klondike1020
June 29th, 2012, 07:59 AM
ai4px

You hit the nail right on the head!
Police used to be part of the community, respected / assisted

Now they are alienated from the general public.

My biggest problem is when police think they are above the law!

People are drawing to many lines in the sand and picking to many sides.

If we made a list of what both people did wrong in the video it would go on and on.

Stingray1000
June 29th, 2012, 10:03 AM
[DEVILS ADVOCATE] All of these bikers are a bunch of ****ing assholes. They closed down highways and block traffic so they can stunt. Emergency vehicles could have been stuck in there. People on the way to hospitals could have died so these pricks could stunt on an open highway. They are dipshit assholes, every last one of them and they need to be tracked down and punished.[/DEVILS ADVODATE]

Cop was a moron

Agreed, Did anyone see the video on the other thread? They make us all look bad and make people want to swurve into good riders just because of assumed "ASSOCIATION" (for Justin and CZ LOL)

LoD575
June 29th, 2012, 10:16 AM
As an LEO crap like this pisses me off.

The arrest is questionable and will probably be tossed out. The camera may contain evidence but there is a proper way to obtain it by use of a search warrant or voluntary consent.

Even with the dash cam it shows the bikers being @sshats with possible transfer of contraband, along with careless/reckless driving.

The cop and biker were both being dicks to each other which only aggravated the situation.

alex.s
June 29th, 2012, 11:28 AM
http://i.imgur.com/jCOP5.jpg

Jono
June 29th, 2012, 12:49 PM
^
This

A Tomato
June 29th, 2012, 01:17 PM
The second officer's face looks annoying smirking...

Goom
June 29th, 2012, 01:47 PM

^this

akima
June 29th, 2012, 02:32 PM
I didn't see the biker that was pulled over perform a single morally questionable action... not in his own footage or in the police dash cam footage (which didn't show him!). I think he could've more intelligently dealt with that doggy cop though.

If there was a bear in your camping spot eating your food, you wouldn't get in the bears face and shout "THIS IS BS MAN: WTF ARE YOU DOING IN MY AREA!" at the bear. It's a powerful animal which holds great potential to harm you.

Same thing with that cop: powerful animal which holds great potential to harm you.

Vergil
June 29th, 2012, 02:49 PM
I didn't see the biker that was pulled over perform a single morally questionable action... not in his own footage or in the police dash cam footage (which didn't show him!). I think he could've more intelligently dealt with that doggy cop though.

If there was a bear in your camping spot eating your food, you wouldn't get in the bears face and shout "THIS IS BS MAN: WTF ARE YOU DOING IN MY AREA!" at the bear. It's a powerful animal which holds great potential to harm you.

Same thing with that cop: powerful animal which holds great potential to harm you.

I agree entirely

drac
June 29th, 2012, 04:04 PM
I believe the officers may well have been within his rights to confiscate the camera if he had reason to believe it had recorded a crime. There is a procedure for doing this as stated earlier but the officer may temporarily circumvent these procedures due to "exigent" circumstances. (Cops love that word, exigent. It's in all there manuals) The fact that if the officer does not take possession of the evidence now it could too easily be erased/destroyed.

Had he taken the camera and just drove off the evidence would have been suppressed by any judge. But i am pretty sure he could take possession of the evidence and stay "on scene" with the camera owner while radioing in to get a warrant, which he would have gotten.

Do I think this is right? .... That's a tough call due to both parties acting like assholes.

Stingray1000
June 29th, 2012, 04:23 PM
I believe the officers may well have been within his rights to confiscate the camera if he had reason to believe it had recorded a crime. There is a procedure for doing this as stated earlier but the officer may temporarily circumvent these procedures due to "exigent" circumstances. (Cops love that word, exigent. It's in all there manuals) The fact that if the officer does not take possession of the evidence now it could too easily be erased/destroyed.

Had he taken the camera and just drove off the evidence would have been suppressed by any judge. But i am pretty sure he could take possession of the evidence and stay "on scene" with the camera owner while radioing in to get a warrant, which he would have gotten.

Do I think this is right? .... That's a tough call due to both parties acting like assholes.

You're right he was not in his rights to take the camera without a warrant. Warrants aren't easy or quick things to get and they most likely would've been standing there all day till they got a judge to listen to the whole story wirte out and sign the warrant then truck the warrant out to give to the officer to show the biker.... So the quickest thing to do was to arrest him for a usually not arrestable offence so they could take possession of the camera and call it evidence aagainst both parties but technically you could be arrested for any offense even doing 1 mph over the speed limit. Would it be thrown out? Sure. Will this be thrown out? idk you have to throw the possibility of this police officer adding resisting arrest to the charge which would make everything harder to throw out, hopefully the judge got some TRIM the night before and is in a good mood and decides to help the defendant out which is not likely but possible....

xMoises831
August 16th, 2012, 11:22 AM
i was just on youtube and found this video and i want to know what do you think about it?

eyYlRZAdPGk

alex.s
August 16th, 2012, 11:24 AM
i think everyone in the video is an idiot.

wheres that merge button i always see Alex using...

xMoises831
August 16th, 2012, 11:34 AM
i think everyone in the video is an idiot.

wheres that merge button i always see Alex using...

Don't you think what the cop did was wrong tho?

Xoulrath
August 16th, 2012, 11:37 AM
Like I needed another reason to hate cops.

xMoises831
August 16th, 2012, 11:42 AM
Like I needed another reason to hate cops.

well the way those bikers make the legit bikers look bad. Even if they were all breaking the law it doesn't mean he had the right to pull him over just because he had a camera. He then arrest him for the license plate and then changes his story about pulling him over for the plate and not just because he had the camera.

alex.s
August 16th, 2012, 11:51 AM
this is not the full story. they have the camera man doing stupid **** earlier on dash cam

xMoises831
August 16th, 2012, 11:54 AM
this is not the full story. they have the camera man doing stupid **** earlier on dash cam

That wasn't him it was another guy they used that clip to try to give the cop a reason to take his camera footage. They didn't stop him for another 15 minutes after the dash cam footage. He wasn't a part of the group ride, actually he was going below the speed limit.

alex.s
August 16th, 2012, 11:58 AM
what exactly do you expect? if you ride with a bunch of idiots you get lumped in. dont ride with idiots and you wont get trouble

aShifty
August 16th, 2012, 12:11 PM
WOOOOOOOOOOOW. arrested for a license plate.

GjwSoa3kNTw

the bikers were doing stupid **** though. but i didnt see chris the guy who got arrested doing stupid things.

xMoises831
August 16th, 2012, 12:53 PM
right! haha

Alex
August 18th, 2012, 04:48 PM
/merged

Old Lemon
August 18th, 2012, 06:36 PM
"dont u have to have a warrant for that kind of evidence?" "..........."

CZroe
August 19th, 2012, 05:22 AM
what exactly do you expect? if you ride with a bunch of idiots you get lumped in. dont ride with idiots and you wont get trouble
So, what you are saying is: "Don't ride anywhere in Dallas on Memorial Day."

As I've pointed out repeatedly, he was not "with" them. It was not a group. The entire city of bikers was off work and out for a ride that day as part of a yearly rally. This is why trying to justify this with videos of other bikers is only further infuriating. Of course someone, somewhere in the city was mis-behaving.

What you are saying is like saying "Don't go to Sturgis or Daytona Bike Week because there are a few idiots there and you might get arrested for their actions." It's ludicrous. Even if it were a smaller group: I guess you disapprove of the Ninjette Rally just because someone might do something the others and the police don't approve of and it would justify anything the police may want to do to anyone "stupid" enough to attend the rally. :rolleyes:

alex.s
August 19th, 2012, 12:35 PM
you are completely correct, jet. i think riding in large groups with people you don't know is pointless (outside of charity and memorial) and dangerous. if a bunch of bikers came up behind me being chased by cops, you are completely correct- i would GTFO the freeway and away from the OBVIOUS danger. if i knew there was going to be that much **** where i was going, i either wouldn't go there, or i wouldn't ride a bike there.

you can't tell me the guy didn't expect crazy **** to be happening.

its like being in a riot. "i wasn't with them! i was simply standing here minding my own business while everyone around me was looting and pillaging" ... OK!

this is kinda a problem that i have with most motorcyclists. they think they are a car. they think that they can be idle and mind their own business, and if they just follow the laws nothing will happen. that's not how motorcycles work. you need to be proactive in your own safety. dont be idle, either be defense (gtfo) or offensive (gtfo faster)

lgk
August 19th, 2012, 04:55 PM
thats discriminatory,
if they don't have evidence of the individual wrongdoing, then they shouldn't be singling everyone out.

that version of logic is similar to a witch hunt...

CZroe
August 21st, 2012, 06:00 AM
you are completely correct, jet. i think riding in large groups with people you don't know is pointless (outside of charity and memorial) and dangerous. if a bunch of bikers came up behind me being chased by cops, you are completely correct- i would GTFO the freeway and away from the OBVIOUS danger. if i knew there was going to be that much **** where i was going, i either wouldn't go there, or i wouldn't ride a bike there.

you can't tell me the guy didn't expect crazy **** to be happening.

its like being in a riot. "i wasn't with them! i was simply standing here minding my own business while everyone around me was looting and pillaging" ... OK!

this is kinda a problem that i have with most motorcyclists. they think they are a car. they think that they can be idle and mind their own business, and if they just follow the laws nothing will happen. that's not how motorcycles work. you need to be proactive in your own safety. dont be idle, either be defense (gtfo) or offensive (gtfo faster)
The reason they chose Memorial Day is because it was already a popular day for individual motorcyclists due to being off work with most places closed and warm weather. It wasn't a "riot" and bad things weren't "expected." Also, there were just as many bikes on the surface streets. You can't just pull off the freeway in Daytona or Sturgis during a bike event and expect to no longer be surrounded by bikes.

Thought process:
It's warm outside and I happen to be off of work with nothing else to do. It's a good day for a ride, which is an independent thought I had on my own. Also, most places are closed because it's a holiday, so there isn't much else to do. Which holiday is it? Oh yeah: Memorial Day. Well, forget that idea then! A couple years ago people noticed how popular riding was on this day of the year it kinda became an unofficial rally. There's nothing wrong with that, but last year some people misbehaved for the first time ever and this year the police will be cracking down on it. As a law abiding citizen, I should not be discouraged into sacrificing my holiday just because they are doing this. On the contrary: I should be encouraged because they are fixing the only problem I had with riding on this day. Unfortunately, as much as I want to legally enjoy my motorcycle on this particular day with these stronger-than-usual incentives, I can't because I might wrongly be associated with those people because of the number of wheels beneath me. Fair or not, I'm going to give up the only nice riding day I may have for a long time just because a few more people started riding in recent years.

Maybe I see it differently because I didn't have a car for four years, had to work every Memorial Day, and would have been pretty angry if I got caught up in this mess just because I had ride to work on two wheels.

Also, may I point out that the thing that happened to him was not "safety" related? This isn't about being safe, unsafe, or being proactive in safety. The problem is not that he thought he was like any other car on the road, but that he really was legally like any other car on the road and yet he was unfairly treated differently anyway.

ai4px
August 21st, 2012, 06:16 AM
As a law abiding citizen, I should not be discouraged into sacrificing my holiday just because they are doing this. On the contrary: I should be encouraged because they are fixing the only problem I had with riding on this day. Unfortunately, as much as I want to legally enjoy my motorcycle on this particular day with these stronger-than-usual incentives, I can't because I might wrongly be associated with those people because of the number of wheels beneath me.

I watch the video the guy made and he was obviously not in the group... they were all piecemealing by him. He should be in no trouble for simply being out on the interstate as he was.

On the other hand, I learned years ago that, for example, nothing good goes on after 9pm and I know that I'm much more likely to get hit by a drunk at 2 or 3am, so I avoid going out during those hours. It may be your right to toole down the highway on memorial day, but it may not be prudent.

lgk
August 21st, 2012, 06:21 AM
nm

alex.s
August 21st, 2012, 11:30 AM
:) you guys make me laugh.

jet, i wasnt talking about avoiding the bikers. i was talking about avoiding the cops.