View Full Version : Thread subscriptions

ai4px
June 29th, 2012, 07:47 AM
I love getting emails of threads I'm subscribed to. But if I don't click on the link in the email, I don't get anymore emails about that thread. It causes me to miss out on days of stuff sometimes. Is there anyway to change a setting where I'll get an email for every new message in the threads Im subscribed to w/o having to revist the website each time?

Alex
June 29th, 2012, 09:57 AM
I'm not sure, Wes. I think that those notification emails are kicked out when there is a new post in a subscribed thread since the last time you visited, but not on subsequent posts until a user visits that thread.

There are a number of subscription option other than immediate, including Daily and Weekly, and I'm not sure that if one chooses those, does it still rely on a user visit in the meantime after a new post to reset, or if it just kicks out the notification at that interval if their are new posts.

dubojr1
June 29th, 2012, 10:30 AM
It must be set to be this way somewhere else becuase the notification emails also include this:

There may also be other replies, but you will not receive any more notifications until you visit the forum again.

Alex
June 29th, 2012, 10:40 AM
Right - but I don't think it's configurable. The text in those notifications is static.

It doesn't surprise me that it's built like that; the main goal of this type of software is to get people to come back to the site over and over again. Not only to support the advertising end of it, but also to support the idea that the only reason forum sites survive is because of continuous new and interesting content that is created. Promoting tools that turn users more and more into passive consumers of that content rather than creators themselves, isn't a step in the right direction. And you can't reply or add content unless you're back on the site proper.

dubojr1
June 29th, 2012, 10:48 AM
Agreed. However I can also agree with Wes to a point. Sometime (maybe most of the time) in our busy lives it is quicker to just scan email's and catch up especially on our subscribed threads. On the other hand however if our site was like Facebook then my phone would die in about an hour due to all the notification emails coming in. Geez, FB sends a notification for EVERYTHING....

Alex
June 29th, 2012, 10:52 AM
Right, I agree with Wes's being a valid request as well. I just understand why vB built it the way they did.

Your post reminds me I need to recheck my FB notifications as well, they are really starting to get out of hand.

ai4px
June 29th, 2012, 10:55 AM
Right, I agree with Wes's being a valid request as well. I just understand why vB built it the way they did.

Your post reminds me I need to recheck my FB notifications as well, they are really starting to get out of hand.

Never fear, FB probaby just reset your notification settings and your privacy settings for you w/o telling you. <grin> It's why I finally quit FB a year ago.

I understand the ads pay for this site and they have to keep people coming back to display the ads. Oh well...

alex.s
June 29th, 2012, 12:45 PM
/subscribed