View Full Version : Wrecked my 250 a week ago, time for a rebuild!

nrninja
July 2nd, 2012, 12:42 AM
I wrecked my '04 250 a week ago. Mechanically it's in good shape. Nothing more than a busted clutch lever and the tabs where the grab bar mounts got destroyed. I'm taking it to a weld shop this week to get the tabs fixed.

Cosmetically it's a mess. It needs all new fairings as the bits an pieces of my old ones are somewhere in a ditch. And, the headlight took a hit from a fencepost. Here's my plans so far:
-ZX-7 headlights (already ordered)
-Spare headlight bracket to modify for ZX-7 lights (already ordered)
-New mirrors, possilby sourced from an R6
-Full set of fairings Airtech
-Flush mount signals sourced from Mazda3 side marker lamps
-Paint. Any suggestions for colors?

Will update with pictures as I progress.

dirty nasty
July 4th, 2012, 04:55 AM
Glad to hear you're okay first off!

I love when people crash into fences. You guys give me job security. :)

I'm very interested to see what the light conversion looks like. Hell, the whole thing sounds like it's going to look great when you're done!

As for paint, Kawasakis are supposed to be GREEN! Or green. Whichever you prefer, I've seen both shades.

ninja_thresh_hold
July 4th, 2012, 06:29 AM
Glad to hear you're okay first off!

I love when people crash into fences. You guys give me job security. :)

I'm very interested to see what the light conversion looks like. Hell, the whole thing sounds like it's going to look great when you're done!

As for paint, Kawasakis are supposed to be GREEN! Or green. Whichever you prefer, I've seen both shades.

haha! you sound like my dad, he owned a fence company for 30 years in columbus ohio,by the time i was 3 i was learning how to do all kinds of fences and decks lol

nrninja
July 6th, 2012, 12:31 PM
I'm looking at paints for the Airtech Fairings, and I'm not entirely sure what to do. Having a professional do it would likely cost more than the bike is worth so that's not an option. When looking for paint to do it myself, I can't decide between using marine grade paint, roll-on rustoleum, rattlecans, or truck bed liner. Any suggestions?

I do my best to support the fine men and women who build fences everywhere. :thumbup:

dirty nasty
July 6th, 2012, 02:58 PM
I've always painted my BMX bikes with rattle can and a clear. They came out great. However, it always chipped very easily. I didn't really care, because a BMX bike isn't going to be pretty forever.

I'd read some books about painting, were I to paint motorcycle fairings. I'd imagine road debris and bugs would easily ruin one of my rattle can jobs. I'm sure someone knows how to do it better than I can.

Monkeytofu
July 8th, 2012, 07:05 PM
You could try this for painting:

http://www.preval.com/what-is-preval

Warning: absurdly cheesy video

Seems like a really cool system, I think if my friend ever gets around to trying to paint his bikes we might use them.

Mocha Man
July 8th, 2012, 07:26 PM
You could try this for painting:

http://www.preval.com/what-is-preval

Warning: absurdly cheesy video

Seems like a really cool system, I think if my friend ever gets around to trying to paint his bikes we might use them.

"It makes me feel like Michelangelo!"

made me laugh so hard!

Oh, and "even the U.S. military uses it!"

and why the green screen usage? lol I love this video now

Monkeytofu
July 8th, 2012, 07:43 PM
"It makes me feel like Michelangelo!"

made me laugh so hard!

Oh, and "even the U.S. military uses it!"

and why the green screen usage? lol I love this video now

" ...Transportation companies use preval to refinish their fleet's upholstery AND EXTERIORS!!!"

Here's a video showing an example of it on a ninja 500:

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Ok3-gDvFtoo&feature=relmfu

It looks pretty good to me, he just needed some clear coats over the paint and he would have made it look a lot more professional.

nrninja
July 10th, 2012, 12:59 PM
The ZX-7 headlights I ordered came today. The plastic they mount to isn't perfect, but should be easily repaired with some plastic weld. Now comes the time to wire them to the bike... Both bulbs are H4's, and both are 60/55W. I'd prefer to have both lights running all the time if it's not an issue. Will running both from the standard Hi/Lo beam relay fry the relay? Will it draw too much power?

Edit: The ZX-7 headlights are way too big to fit inside the 250's fairing. :mad: Not sure if I should try to make them fit, or stick with the stock headlight.

dirty nasty
July 11th, 2012, 02:45 PM
Maybe ZXR250 lights?

http://www.kawiforums.com/attachments/ninja-250r/34653d1279700960-2011-kawasaki-ninja-400-fuel-injection-kawasaki-zxr250r-90.jpg

Monkeytofu
July 12th, 2012, 11:39 PM
:worthlesswithoutpic

Luvninja
July 13th, 2012, 12:15 AM
The ZX-7 headlights I ordered came today. The plastic they mount to isn't perfect, but should be easily repaired with some plastic weld. Now comes the time to wire them to the bike... Both bulbs are H4's, and both are 60/55W. I'd prefer to have both lights running all the time if it's not an issue. Will running both from the standard Hi/Lo beam relay fry the relay? Will it draw too much power?

Edit: The ZX-7 headlights are way too big to fit inside the 250's fairing. :mad: Not sure if I should try to make them fit, or stick with the stock headlight.

I wanted to put different headlights on my ninja, I really wanted something different than the new gen but everything I searched for I would need to basically build a new fairing from scratch. They're all too big. The best I could do was fit a new gen headlight in there, I'm pretty happy with it although I'd like both bulbs to be lit at one time but don't know if it's possible.

I'm excited to see what you come up with.

nrninja
July 13th, 2012, 05:55 AM
Maybe ZXR250 lights?

http://www.kawiforums.com/attachments/ninja-250r/34653d1279700960-2011-kawasaki-ninja-400-fuel-injection-kawasaki-zxr250r-90.jpg

I've searched all over the internet for those. They seem near impossible to find used and I haven't found a fiche with the part number specific to the ZXR250's.

:worthlesswithoutpic

Yeah yeah yeah. I figured you'd want to see pics once I start putting things back on, not of all the parts I've ordered. :p

I wanted to put different headlights on my ninja, I really wanted something different than the new gen but everything I searched for I would need to basically build a new fairing from scratch. They're all too big. The best I could do was fit a new gen headlight in there, I'm pretty happy with it although I'd like both bulbs to be lit at one time but don't know if it's possible.

I'm excited to see what you come up with.

I may try to re-use the busted up fairing I have. I'd feel a lot better about cutting into that than I would cutting into a brand new one from Airtech. Then again, I've never fiber glassed anything.

Here's a photo of the headlight bracket I picked up on ebay to mount the ZX-7 lights to the 250. Should only take minimal modification to get it to fit. Going to have to figure something out for the instruments now...

nrninja
July 25th, 2012, 07:19 PM
I got the ZX-7 headlight and bracket. The bracket needs to be modified a little to make it fit right, but it shouldn't be much of an issue. It came with a wiring harness for both the lights as well. Here's some pics!

choneofakind
July 26th, 2012, 11:35 AM
Those headlights should keep the classic look of the ninjette, but still be something new :)

For painting, if you have access to an air compressor, look into getting a cheap spray gun from HF (if you're only going to use it once, who cares about the quality) and get some primer and paint that matches from online. That will be better than rattlecanning it and will still be quality paint that should hold up
Posted via Mobile Device

choneofakind
July 26th, 2012, 11:37 AM
Oh! And I love my R6 mirrors. Check out mu profile for pictures to choose for yourself.

If you want to stick with the stock mirrors, I have a pair I need to get rid of
Posted via Mobile Device

nrninja
July 26th, 2012, 01:30 PM
Oh! And I love my R6 mirrors. Check out mu profile for pictures to choose for yourself.

If you want to stick with the stock mirrors, I have a pair I need to get rid of
Posted via Mobile Device

I'm debating whether or not I want a fairing. Naked bikes look pretty damn cool. Or, I might be selling the bike to a university's design team. Probably going to stick with bar end mirrors if I go that route.

nrninja
July 26th, 2012, 07:11 PM
Got my motorcycle street legal enough to get it to the weld shop. Hopefully I'll get it there sometime tomorrow and should have it ready to ride soon. I also did a quick mockup of the ZX-7 headlights. They look damn good. It only took about 20 zip ties to hold the tail lights on... :thumbup: Should have some photos in the next few days!

Edit: The weld shop is too busy to get to it today :( I've got a friend who should be able to help weld the headlight bracket this weekend.

dirty nasty
July 26th, 2012, 08:40 PM
I'm looking forward to seeing the results. :thumbup:

nrninja
August 3rd, 2012, 01:15 PM
I've been extremely busy the last week and still haven't gotten anything welded. But I was able to get a short ride in today. Here's a photo of my zip tie engineering at its finest.

nrninja
August 7th, 2012, 08:00 AM
Just ordered an XR400 header from ebay. I picked it up for less than half of what other sellers were asking :D I'm going to test the fitment and hopefully combine it with a VTR250 muffler to make a 2-1 exhaust for my pregen.

Monkeytofu
August 7th, 2012, 01:34 PM
Just ordered an XR400 header from ebay. I picked it up for less than half of what other sellers were asking :D I'm going to test the fitment and hopefully combine it with a VTR250 muffler to make a 2-1 exhaust for my pregen.

Interesting choice. Why not go for the newgen header pipes? They fit on to the pregen if you cut off the openings of the old pipes and weld them on.

nrninja
August 7th, 2012, 01:54 PM
The newgen headers I've seen on ebay are way more than what I paid. I also happen to have a VTR250 muffler lying around. Trying to keep costs to a minimum.

Coolbpf
August 7th, 2012, 08:11 PM
Don't you mean, wrecked my 250, times for a liter bike... I think jiggles did something like that :rolleyes:

nrninja
August 7th, 2012, 09:23 PM
Don't you mean, wrecked my 250, times for a liter bike... I think jiggles did something like that :rolleyes:

Something like a CB-1 or a Bandit 400 is more my style. Jiggles is batshit crazy. Enough said.

choneofakind
August 8th, 2012, 06:23 AM

He didnt wreck, he got hit. He also got another 250 (which is going to the track) to replace the totalled 250. That's better than others who wrecked from lack of experience/skill and immediately went to an ss.
Posted via Mobile Device

nrninja
August 15th, 2012, 03:03 PM
Well sort of... A friend and I bent the tabs where it mounts back into place. Then I used some 3/16" thick bar stock to make a piece which connects the two tabs together. Drilled some holes, put some bolts through. I used some 1/8" thick bar stock to make some pieces to hold the tail light in place. With a 90 degree bend and a ~45 degree bend they're pretty darn close to stock (about 1/4" off). Not bad for eyeballing everything!

I should have the headlights done soon. Waiting until I go back to university this weekend to finish the bracket to mount the ZX-7 headlights and solder up the electrical bits.

nrninja
August 25th, 2012, 04:37 PM
I had to bend some S-shaped brackets to make the stock ZX-7 headlight bracket fit to the Ninja's mounting points, then soldered the connections and hooked it up! It was a very simple conversion. What do you think of them?

choneofakind
August 26th, 2012, 10:12 AM
Looks interesting! Kinda bug-eyed, but I could dig it

Monkeytofu
August 27th, 2012, 03:48 PM
If you can get rid of the plastic border (if you don't need them to hold the lights) I think it would look a lot better.