View Full Version : I need advice on AGV helmets!

Goom
July 3rd, 2012, 05:49 PM
So, my fiancee has been all about getting her endorsement and riding by herself since I got my Ninja. The problem is that she has yet to even ride with me due to her lack of gear. Fortunately, today is her birthday, and she turned down her parents' offer to buy her and iPad :eek: She said she didn't want them to spend that much , so I suggested she get a helmet.

We went to the local dealership today and looked at a lot of helmets, but she really didn't fall in love with any of them. She has had her eye on the AGV K3 Dreamtime for a while now, and I'm all for it, but the AGV website only lists like, 2 dealers in Indiana. One of them is Indy Ducati, which is not too far of a drive, but they appear to have a very limited selection. I want her to try it on first, but it's not looking like an option at this point.

I guess my question is whether or not there is another helmet with a similar fit that we could use as a gauge for proper fitment. I hate to even go this route, but I want her to have a quality helmet that she'll really like in every way, which does include style. Ideas?

codestp202
July 3rd, 2012, 05:56 PM
So, my fiancee has been all about getting her endorsement and riding by herself since I got my Ninja. The problem is that she has yet to even ride with me due to her lack of gear. Fortunately, today is her birthday, and she turned down her parents' offer to buy her and iPad :eek: She said she didn't want them to spend that much , so I suggested she get a helmet.

We went to the local dealership today and looked at a lot of helmets, but she really didn't fall in love with any of them. She has had her eye on the AGV K3 Dreamtime for a while now, and I'm all for it, but the AGV website only lists like, 2 dealers in Indiana. One of them is Indy Ducati, which is not too far of a drive, but they appear to have a very limited selection. I want her to try it on first, but it's not looking like an option at this point.

I guess my question is whether or not there is another helmet with a similar fit that we could use as a gauge for proper fitment. I hate to even go this route, but I want her to have a quality helmet that she'll really like in every way, which does include style. Ideas?

I bought the same helmet, actually from a ducati dealership in my area. Paid 220 and I LOVE IT. Great helmet, very quality on the design, fit, and protection. I get more complements on the helmet then my bike! :D you cant go wrong with agv, i also wear one of their mesh jackets that are amazing.

DennyV
July 3rd, 2012, 06:03 PM
agv and agv sport are 2 different companies btw, I convinced my friend to get a K4 evo, and I like the style and they are light, compared to my scorpion exo 700, it does run a little big, as a large fits loose on my head

Monkeytofu
July 3rd, 2012, 06:05 PM
According to Revzilla and a lot of other reviews AGV's K3 (which is what the Dreamtime is) is a racing profile helmet that's meant to be worn if you sit in a tucked position i.e. on the track.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=sNMgWBQtHZI

Never actually got to wear one on a ride so I have no idea how much this affects your ride. It's something to note when looking at helmets.

dfox
July 3rd, 2012, 06:10 PM
Proper fit is very important.

Buy from an online retailer with a good return policy, or buy from a store.

FYI, every store I've walked into has matched online retailers price for me, including the local Ducati dealer with a pair of sidi boots. I went to try on an arai at the local shop. Waffled around a bit, told them it was more than I wanted, they brought up a few retailers online and matched the lowest.

codestp202
July 3rd, 2012, 06:36 PM
According to Revzilla and a lot of other reviews AGV's K3 (which is what the Dreamtime is) is a racing profile helmet that's meant to be worn if you sit in a tucked position i.e. on the track.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=sNMgWBQtHZI

Never actually got to wear one on a ride so I have no idea how much this affects your ride. It's something to note when looking at helmets.

It doesn't effect my ride at all when I rode my 250. Whether it was upright all the way or tucked. It worked very well on my ninja and it works wonderfully on the gixxer 750

THE BIG SITT
July 3rd, 2012, 06:52 PM
I've got a K3 right now. I like it, but it get loud at like 80+. Also, my fiances grandma dropped it on the spoiler thing in the back, and it popped right out. All in all, its a fairly good helmet, but I probably wont buy another K3.

As far as trying one on, wait till the GP is in Indy. I bought my K3 from the AGV dealer at the race. So I'd wait till then so you could try all their helmets, as well as most any helmet from any other manufacturer.

I'll throw this out there too: If she wears a large, shes more than welcome to try on mine. I'm at the airport all the time for work, so if you're ever over there, let me know!

Goom
July 4th, 2012, 09:21 AM
Thanks for the input guys. I think it will probably come down to measuring her head and ordering online. That's what I did with mine, but it's a Bell, and I've owned mostly Bell helmets since I was a kid, so it was a lot easier for me.

Andy, the GP would be an excellent way for her to shop some helemts, but I don't think she can wait that long. Plus, I doubt she'll want to go to the race. As for trying your helmet on, she wears a small at most, so I'm gonna say the large wouldn't help much. lol I appreciate the offer though, man.

CC Cowboy
July 4th, 2012, 09:22 AM
Best AGV helmet right now is a Pista:

http://www.championhelmets.com/agv-pre-order-agv-pistagp.html

nealt
July 4th, 2012, 10:48 AM
Before you go and buy, take a look online at
http://www.webbikeworld.com/motorcycle-helmets/motorcycle-helmets.htm
and check the head shape used by AGV.

If I recall, they are a rounder fit than Scorpion so maybe your gf can try a scorpion as a point of reference for the more long oval fit and another common brand that is similar in fit to AGV head shapes.

This way you can get an idea of her head shape as this is more important than just a circumference measurement.

THE BIG SITT
July 4th, 2012, 12:12 PM
Honestly, even if you don't go to the race, there is so much more to do at the GP. The vendors kept me entertained for hours. Well worth the price of a general admission ticket. On top of that, even the most casual rider would love the race. You don't have to follow it at all to be amazed by bikes blasting by at 200mph.

THE BIG SITT
July 4th, 2012, 12:14 PM
Best AGV helmet right now is a Pista:

http://www.championhelmets.com/agv-pre-order-agv-pistagp.html

I doubt someone who is looking at a K3 is going to want to spend ~$1200 on a Pista. Jussayin :p

Goom
July 4th, 2012, 12:39 PM
Honestly, even if you don't go to the race, there is so much more to do at the GP. The vendors kept me entertained for hours. Well worth the price of a general admission ticket. On top of that, even the most casual rider would love the race. You don't have to follow it at all to be amazed by bikes blasting by at 200mph.

Oh, I don't doubt it. I definitely plan on going with or without her. She was telling me she was watching a race at Cheeseburger in Paradise while she was having lunch with her parents and she was talking about how awesome it was, so I said "so...you'll go to the MotoGP then?" and she was like "no, this was just exciting because the pass at the end of the race". I think she forgets that there is waaaaay more going on than what you see on tv. She was the same way about supercross the first time I took her, but she had a blast, so we'll see. I can always use the "there will be cute boys on motorcycles" line on her if all else fails.

Goom
July 4th, 2012, 01:54 PM
Before you go and buy, take a look online at
http://www.webbikeworld.com/motorcycle-helmets/motorcycle-helmets.htm
and check the head shape used by AGV.

If I recall, they are a rounder fit than Scorpion so maybe your gf can try a scorpion as a point of reference for the more long oval fit and another common brand that is similar in fit to AGV head shapes.

This way you can get an idea of her head shape as this is more important than just a circumference measurement.

Thank you! I knew I saw that somewhere.

She tried on a Scorpion, but it was the EXO-400, which is more round than the K3. She said it fit pretty well. She actually would have probably bought it if they had it in stock in the color she wanted. I told her she might as well give the K3 a shot if she was going to have to order the helmet either way.

jboyd12
July 7th, 2012, 10:38 PM
Invest in a soft tape measure and measure her head and compare to the size chart. I bought a soft tape measure a few years ago. Its extremely useful for things like this ...

Goom
July 8th, 2012, 08:01 AM
Invest in a soft tape measure and measure her head and compare to the size chart. I bought a soft tape measure a few years ago. Its extremely useful for things like this ...

I actually did that 2 helmets ago. It still doesn't compare to trying them on, but it definitely helps when you have to order online.

burningscooter
July 8th, 2012, 09:59 AM
The K3 imo fits right in between a Shoei RF1100 and a HJC RPS10. Obviously fitment isnt as precise being that it is a single shell helmet.

Hopes this helps.