View Full Version : What Tank Bag do you guys think is more ideal?

chrislols
July 7th, 2012, 04:08 AM
I decided I wanted a tank bag for daily commutes (Charging phone, GPS, wallet, keys, etc) but when I received it, for $50 it seemed rather small than I opted for it. It works perfectly, but my main concern is fitting in little things, a change of clothes, shoes for work if I ride in boots etc.

So I saw for $76 I could get the same brands 19liter, I found some post highly rating both, but I don't know how ideal a 19liter is to have on every day, my main like about it, is that I'd be able to store shoes in it when I commute to work in riding boots / knee pads, I can do without it, but I just can't decide if for $26 its worth having so much more storage.

Tank bag now: http://imgur.com/GpVPK.jpg What the bigger one would look like: http://imgur.com/ZJQoL.jpg

What do you guys think? - Thanks!

leed
July 7th, 2012, 04:49 AM
Get the larger bag, you won't regret it. It's much more useful, and more bang for the buck. I had an 11 liter bag, and it was not bad. Extra space would have been nice, though. I always ended up having to take something out and put it elsewhere because it would bulge the bottom and prevent it from staying on the tank.

As for the physical size, you won't notice a difference until you try to do a full tuck!

dfox
July 7th, 2012, 05:53 AM
personally, i ride with a decent size tail bag that came with my bike. at times when it's too big, i have a small tank bag. The tank bag doesn't fit my work laptop, so I pretty much exclusively use my tail bag. I'd like to get a more aerodynamic looking one, mine is very square.

maybe keep the small tank bag for small stuff, and get a slightly larger tail bag for times when you really need to carry more.

i'd also recommend keeping your cellphone on your person whenever riding the motorcycle. you go down on some back road and nobody is around, and don't want to get up because you think you might have injured your neck or back, it's crucial to have that cell at arms reach, not 50 feet down the road on your bike. just a suggestion.

Yasko
July 7th, 2012, 08:39 AM
+1 tail bag all the way.

PHL
July 7th, 2012, 01:26 PM
I have the second bag you posted, the Rapid Transit Recon 19. Honestly, I wish it were a little bigger. That said, I can easily fit a pair of soft running shoes along with a pair of external hard drives and other work items. I've also had a tall bag of takeout for six people, a gallon of milk, some fruit that were not crushed in transport--obviously not at the same time, but it does well for small trips. If you fill a whole handheld grocery cart, you won't be able to fit it all into the bag.

PHL
July 7th, 2012, 01:30 PM
I think this might be a bit more handy.

http://www.revzilla.com/product/rapid-transit-recon-23-tail-bag

That said, the 19L bag I have now is perfect for lying on when you're on the highway.

xSean13
July 7th, 2012, 01:54 PM
I believe the 19L bag will be much smaller than you realize.

Just bought the Rapid Transit "The Stack" LT it's 30L (a bit more, since there's a bottom section you can zip off that can easily hold a couple textbooks), hydration ready, converts into backpack*, lots of pockets, map pocket, cell pocket, rain cover, etc.

I can fit a pair of shoots, couple pairs of shorts & shorts, keys, wallet, phone, disc lock, rain liner, and any food if I stop and get fast food. Doesn't obscure any view or get in the way of anything & comfy to lay on.

CZroe
July 8th, 2012, 03:40 PM
Mine collapses and expands. With my M11x notebook and some papers, it barely fits a change of clothes with shoes inside.

leed
July 9th, 2012, 07:20 PM
If you're getting in to the 25+ liters.. Just get a backpack and strap it down! That or multiple bags (Saddle bags + Pillion bag + Tank bag)