View Full Version : Better mirrors?

dirty nasty
July 8th, 2012, 11:48 AM
Are there better mirrors available for this bike? The OEM ones offer very limited visibility for me.

Monkeytofu
July 8th, 2012, 06:07 PM
http://faq.ninja250.org/wiki/I_hate_these_mirrors might help you.

EsrTek
July 8th, 2012, 06:24 PM
Stock Ninja 650 mirrors fit in the bracket on the 250's... just replace the stem/mirror and not the mount.
You can swap these out while bike is on kickstand ;)

There are also rubber extensions that go between the fairing and the mount, (if your crafty, you can make something similar much cheaper I would think)
Maybe the similar threads listed below will have a link to that piece and other options.

Mocha Man
August 29th, 2012, 04:19 PM
I never trust my mirrors. I always to make sure I do a head check whenever I'm changing lanes. Those mirrors are absolute garbage. My huge arm pads my jacket has takes up pretty much the whole mirror...

Monkeytofu
August 29th, 2012, 04:41 PM
I never trust my mirrors. I always to make sure I do a head check whenever I'm changing lanes. Those mirrors are absolute garbage. My huge arm pads my jacket has takes up pretty much the whole mirror...

It's true you shouldn't trust your mirrors, but they're useful for telling you if you should even take the time to check with your head or begin a lane merge.

Bassman
August 29th, 2012, 05:11 PM
I was supprised how bad the visability is on this bike compared to my other bikes. I ended up getting the convex mirrors; it helped a lot. I still check the mirrors twice then turn my head before a lame change.

choneofakind
August 29th, 2012, 07:31 PM
It's true you shouldn't trust your mirrors, but they're useful for telling you if you should even take the time to check with your head or begin a lane merge.

false. Check blind spots first.

Monkeytofu
August 29th, 2012, 07:44 PM
false. Check blind spots first.

Of course you should check your blind spot.

What I'm saying is you should look at your mirrors first and if they are clear then check your blindspot/ turn your head. There's no reason to look away from what's in front of you if you can see the way is blocked in your mirrors.

Bassman how do your mirrors hold up? I've considered buying some buy I'm not sure if the adhesive would last in the Texas heat. I've positioned my mirrors in a way that lets me see behind myself if I move my arm in a bit but I've considered getting some convex ones to use.

dirty nasty
August 31st, 2012, 09:22 PM

Thanks for the advice pops, but I'm not asking how to ride. I'm asking for better mirrors.

Tofu is right, why would I take my eyes off the road of what's in front of me? A quick glance in the mirror to see if anything is immediately in my way. Then if it's clear you turn your head.

After riding a friend's R6 I no longer have any issues with the mirrors on a Ninja 250. Holy Christ! R6 mirrors suck!

Snake
September 1st, 2012, 06:17 AM
The new gen has even smaller and odly shaped mirrors.

dirty nasty
September 1st, 2012, 09:25 AM
I knew that as I've spent some time on a new-gen, but R6 mirrors are the absolute worst. At least on my bud's 2002 they are.

Mocha Man
September 2nd, 2012, 10:36 AM
Thanks for the advice pops, but I'm not asking how to ride. I'm asking for better mirrors.

Tofu is right, why would I take my eyes off the road of what's in front of me? A quick glance in the mirror to see if anything is immediately in my way. Then if it's clear you turn your head.

After riding a friend's R6 I no longer have any issues with the mirrors on a Ninja 250. Holy Christ! R6 mirrors suck!

I can't see ANYTHING out of my mirrors so I have to do a head check. I give myself plenty of room from the person in front of me so I can do a quick glance. Who said I was telling you how to ride? I was just giving my input on it. If you didn't want someone's input then you probably shouldn't bother posting it on a forum.

dirty nasty
September 2nd, 2012, 02:05 PM
You're rambling. I was asking about mirrors.

choneofakind
September 3rd, 2012, 03:26 PM
http://faq.ninja250.org/wiki/I_hate_these_mirrors

bar end mirrors are better for seeing behind you from what I read, but the look needs an acquired taste imo

250 mirrors really aren't bad. Also just turn around for gods sake. It literally take 1/2 a second, and there's no blind spots. Obviously not in heavy traffic, but it's easier on entrance ramps to the freeway than relying on mirrors. Just use your common sense, we're not saying watch behind you exclusively for so long that you run into things.

dirty nasty
September 4th, 2012, 03:29 AM
I do, I just don't understand this guy when I was asking about mirrors and he posts advice about head checks. I know what a head check is and I do it every time I merge or change lanes or think I need to, which is pretty much all the time. I wasn't asking about that, I was asking about mirrors. It's off topic.

I had bar end mirrors on my CB450. They would have been great if I didn't keep buying the $5/pair that would fall off as I rode down the road. :p Time to figure out how to get my bar ends off. These bastards are loc-tited in good and the PO stripped the hell out of the screw head. :rolleyes:

choneofakind
September 4th, 2012, 07:12 AM
The bar ends are an absolute PITA to get off.

Try a blowtorch to heat the loctite, and then good luck on getting it from there :p

uncle hilty
September 4th, 2012, 09:42 AM
http://www.ebay.com/itm/08-11-Kawasaki-Ninja-250-250R-EX250-Mirror-Extenders-/380430035350?pt=Motorcycles_Parts_Accessories&hash=item589365a996&vxp=mtr

Try these! they work great.

choneofakind
September 4th, 2012, 11:06 AM
Try these! they work great.

Karl has a pre-2008 bike.