View Full Version : Mounting things to the forks

CZroe
July 9th, 2012, 06:04 AM
I would like to mount a newgen fender bracket to a pregen. To do this, I first need a couple brackets with oval holes at the top and something to secure it at the bottom. Something like these (http://www.motorcycle-superstore.com/1/4/68/33253/ITEM/Shindy-Products-Universal-Fork-Brackets.aspx) but with the holes facing out instead of up/down would be extremely useful. Also, it would need to be a lot cheaper. :)

Any ideas?

I'm about to go out and take pics of it balanced there and I'd like to know if anyone else thinks it would be too far away from the tire. The 110 tire in the pic is bald and I could replace it with a 120 or something, but I'd prefer not to. Also, isn't it strange that the updated fender has fins as if to protect USD forks? I guess that's what makes it look more modern and exactly why I want it on a pregen, strange or not. :D

Monkeytofu
July 9th, 2012, 12:12 PM
http://www.customfighters.com/forums/showthread.php?t=55555

Something like this? I'm a little confused by your description but I think that may be close to what you're describing.

CZroe
July 9th, 2012, 04:44 PM
http://www.customfighters.com/forums/showthread.php?t=55555

Something like this? I'm a little confused by your description but I think that may be close to what you're describing.

Very close. Because the fender fins go in front of the forks instead of over the sides, it would need to point 90-degrees to the side of the protrusion instead of pointing straight away from the fork (so that a bolt can go through the fender and into the hole). That may work using an L-bracket and a U-clip.

Basically, the fender mounting points on the pregen forks differ from the newgen forks in that it only has the top two on each fork and they face inward. If I spin the forks around, they would face outward, but that would mess with the wheel spacing and I still would have no lower mounting points.

If there were a way to use hose clamp with the same metric fender mounting bolt as the bolt used to tighten it, it would be perfect.

Edit: I took a look at the hose clamps and stuff at McMaster Carr and noted that the black 1/2" "plastic loop clamps" would probably work quite well with simply a U-clip of the right metric size.

CZroe
July 21st, 2012, 03:12 PM
Anyone know what to search for if I need a flat bracket with an oval channel instead of a hole?

Something like the "S-type" bracket included with the Koso kit, but flat with a single oval channel (no round hole).

I've spent way too much time at Lowe's and on McMaster-Carr looking for it.

k-os
July 22nd, 2012, 07:55 AM
Anyone know what to search for if I need a flat bracket with an oval channel instead of a hole?

Something like the "S-type" bracket included with the Koso kit, but flat with a single oval channel (no round hole).

I've spent way too much time at Lowe's and on McMaster-Carr looking for it.

Not sure if you'll be able to find something like that just off the shelf. Would probably easiest/cheapest to just have someone make you one quick. What kind of dimensions do you need?

CZroe
July 22nd, 2012, 09:01 AM
Not sure if you'll be able to find something like that just off the shelf. Would probably easiest/cheapest to just have someone make you one quick. What kind of dimensions do you need?

Kinda funny that the simplest brackets are the hardest to find off the shelf. :)

I thought I'd find it with the L-brackets and such at a hardware store, or at least I'd find something I could widen the holes on. Everything had circular holes instead of slots or ovals. Also, everything had a bend/angle except the perforated strips, which were way too wide.

I could probably do what I need to do on the fender with some really stiff steel paperclips. :thumbup: I'll cut and drill some kind of sheet metal to make a mount for my Koso gauge.

Monkeytofu
July 22nd, 2012, 11:23 AM
You don't have any "specialty" hardware stores near you? I found a local bolt supplier who is open to the public and they pretty much sell every bolt and washer you could ever want.

Also, I did some searching around on google and found these: http://www.ebay.com/sch/sis.html?_nkw=Associated%2018%20Series%20Silver%20Motor%20Mount%20Oval%20Washer% 20&_itemId=150585252761

They seem to be for remote controlled vehicle engines, but it looks like it might be what you want. You could combine the bigger piece with the smaller piece to form a similar shape to the S and it could give you more options for positioning.