View Full Version : Finally official

headshrink
December 19th, 2008, 02:56 PM
Thanks for the invite kkim, I finally had a moment to officially register.

I'm looking forward to some good, and more mature than other boards, 250r discussion. :)

Alex
December 19th, 2008, 03:06 PM
:welcome: Glad to have you aboard...

kkim
December 19th, 2008, 07:43 PM
Welcome, man... dunno what took you. :confused20: One can only bang their head against the wall for so long. :banghead:

The people here rock!! :rad: Hope you enjoy it here.

mahalo

Sailariel
December 19th, 2008, 09:08 PM
Headshrink, Welcome to the forum. I sense we are kindered spirits given your webname Headshrink. I am a retired Psychiatric Social Worker,LCSW. This is a great forum. Alex and Kelly are doing a super job.

kkim
December 19th, 2008, 09:13 PM
Headshrink, Welcome to the forum. I sense we are kindered spirits given your webname Headshrink. I am a retired Psychiatric Social Worker,LCSW. This is a great forum. Alex and Kelly are doing a super job.

Me??:confused:
Alex is the site brains and creator... I'm merely a rabid forum member. :cheer2:

Alex
December 19th, 2008, 09:27 PM
I'm merely a rabid forum member. :cheer2:

Me thinks doth protest too loudly. :D Your tips and contributions, not to mention your invites, have all been invaluable, and ninjette.org is a much nicer place because of them. :thumbup:

headshrink
December 19th, 2008, 11:06 PM

Ahh what gave me away? ;)

Funny thing is I lead a group for men that coincidently is full of riders (I am the newbie). Now I really feel like one of the guys, but too bad for those darn ethics boards.... I have had to gently turn down some VERY tempting invitations to tracks and other fun rides.

Sailariel
December 20th, 2008, 11:45 AM
Shrink, That`s always been a fine line to walk. I ran three groups a week composed of combat vets--mostly Vietnam, some Korea. When I was elected president of a very influential (politically) veteran`s organization, I ran afoul with some "ethics people" because some of my "clients" came to the annual "Tet Party" held at our home. My wife was quite famous for these parties--and yes, there was beer and wine. I assured these ethics people that hookers and lawyers have clients, and that I have patients. After having been written up 35 times for everything including insubordination and using blue ink instead of black ink in the medical record, it became obvious to the people in charge that I viewed any disciplinary action they would take as something akin to being pillaried by the village idiot. Of course, I have had problems with these bean counters ever since I came back from Vietnam. After two tours there as a combat medic, I find it difficult to take them seriously. Their concerns seem petty and arbitrary. Why should you not treat your group members as people? Not recognizing them, at least in my view, does more harm than good. I guess that my only saving grace was that I was tenured. I always thought it was ironic that the least amount of tolerance for creativity, innovation, and just plain humanity is among mental health professionals. Enjoy your ride and don`t let those a--h---- get you down.

headshrink
December 20th, 2008, 12:51 PM
I hear you, but in CA with that whole "dual relationship thing" they hold your license over your head.... which is a lot of people in CA loosing their license.... *sigh* They are so afraid of clients/patients being exploited, they get in the way. My licensing board is actually under Dept. of Consumer Affairs, which isn't really the best approach for regulating mental health. Oh well.

I'm also a generation behind, so I know things tend to get worse in the field regulation/ethics wise in a lot of ways.... and my generation has no plans, or means to retire. We will just continue to live in denial untill we start dropping dead from heart attacks.

But I tell you, these guys are more therapy for me - they got me into riding (indirectly). :)

Sailariel
December 20th, 2008, 05:37 PM
Shrink, Sounds like you have your defecation in a high state of order. The system is definitevely flawed. There is very little room for creativity. I recall when in 1990 I had a group of veterans suffering from PTSD that reached a plateau. I found two older women who were Auschwitz survivors. I brought them into the group. The result was incredible! The vets saw their problems as inconsequential compared to what these women suffered. The women had a mission to help these vets, and the vets had a mission not to let down the two women. All in all we had a win win situation . My best advice is to hang in there till you can retire or change jobs and then tell them to kiss your a--.

headshrink
December 20th, 2008, 09:26 PM
Now that is creative and sounds very effective! I like it. I can't foresee anyone would have a problems with that, even in CA - sounds great. It is also always helpful when you can articulate what you are doing in a way that gives credibility.