View Full Version : Added lights to the rear pods - now having issue

iplante
July 20th, 2012, 08:22 PM
I bought the correct sockets and the correct lights (2x2397 and 1x2357). All three sockets and bulbs work fine using the 9V battery test.
I 'bundled' together the blue wire with the brake light wires from those two new sockets. Did the battery test again and everything lights up.
I bundled the red wire with the running light wires and did the 9V battery test - everything works fine

I bundled the white cables (ground) from my new sockets to the white/black wire (ground) from the original light.
I used crimper connectors to connect it with the rest of the original wires (the one with the white connectors) but did not use heat to shrink the tubings yet. I connect the whole thing to the bike again.

Turn the key to 'on'. Lights don't come on. try the hand brake. nothing. same with the brake pedal.
I start the bike. Nothing.
I turn the key to 'P'. All three bulbs light up like a christmas tree!

Any idea what the F is happening? lol. I'm new to all of this and can't figure out what I did wrong ;)

iplante
July 21st, 2012, 08:02 PM
Figured it out in case anyone was wondering.

I blew the fuse.. I didn't know that 'P' didn't go through that fuse so I didn't think of that.

Also, when I first spliced the new sockets with the existing one, I didn't leave enough length.. so come to mount the light assembly back in the tail, and the wires were too tight for the screws to go through the bracket!!!

So I ended up buying some black and some white wire and more crimpers with heat shrink tubing around them and adding length to EVERY SINGLE wire.. lol. This project probably cost me twice what it should've, in addition to 3x the time i should've been spending on it.

But totally worth it!

YMCMB
July 21st, 2012, 08:04 PM
Glad you got the fix today. I also solved an issue today on my ninja haha. :p

iplante
July 21st, 2012, 08:06 PM
Thanks man and good luck with your issue!

YMCMB
July 21st, 2012, 08:15 PM
Was a simple 12 dollar flasher relay to make them blinkety blink :D

iplante
July 24th, 2012, 12:47 PM
Here's a before/after pic. I'm super happy with the results.

http://i46.tinypic.com/10o4ml5.jpg