View Full Version : Exhaust ???

mike_sema
December 20th, 2008, 09:11 AM
Well I need to know if you guys know wear I can get some small baffles for my bike I ask b/c I still have some popping at decel in the higher rpm rang, and buy the way I have a custom gsxr can on my bike so it is pretty much a high flow exhaust, do you think that more carb tuning will get rid of the popping or throwing in baffles some how will help out thanks in advance

kkim
December 20th, 2008, 10:07 AM
Mike, try this to get rid of the popping...
http://www.ninjette.org/forums/showthread.php?t=9948

BTW, is yours a cali model bike?

mike_sema
December 20th, 2008, 10:13 AM
hey thanks kkim but i have already done that any other suggestions :D

kkim
December 20th, 2008, 10:16 AM
have you shimmed your needles? at a higher rpm, you might be too lean stock needle settings. at what rpm are you having problems?

have you checked for exhaust leaks?

mike_sema
December 20th, 2008, 10:19 AM
installed an dynojet kit with the clip in the 3rd position and i have checked for exhaust leaks, i get the popping from 7000-10000 rpms

kkim
December 20th, 2008, 10:23 AM
I'd try raising the needle (lowering the clip) on position.

mike_sema
December 20th, 2008, 10:28 AM
well have the bike pulled apart so i will try that out and thanks kkim for the quick response but i still wnder if have some kinda of baffle will help look like i will have to make somthing and try it out ooo and i am tyring to make my own hugger out of a front fender if it works well i will post a diy on it thanks :thumbup:

kkim
December 20th, 2008, 10:37 AM
yeah... see if raising the needle helps first. I really think it's a carb tunnig issue as the aftermarket systems are all high flow exhausts like what yours is. popping during decel usually indicates a lean condition, but I've never heard of one that high in the rpm range.

Checked for intake leaks as well? Those clamps around the carbs to the engine and also the clamps between the filter and the carbs.

If it doesn't help and you need baffle help, perhaps PM HKr1 on this board... I know he worked on installing a straight through baffle in the stock can... maybe he has some ideas.

mike_sema
December 20th, 2008, 11:03 AM
thanks i will update when i get some stuff done :thumbup:

HKr1
December 20th, 2008, 03:57 PM
Would think carb tuning :)

So your @10,000 rpm and let off the gas, coasting back down thru 7000 it pops? If you give it tad bit of gas what does it do?

You did the DJ kit.... you did the mix screws too? Personally I would go up on the pilot jet, Iam really suprised nothing came in the kit for this.

Got my baffle's from lachoppers. http://www.lachoppers.com/perf.php

Whats in that can, Just wide open ?

mike_sema
December 21st, 2008, 08:23 AM
when I am at 10000 or 7000 k when I let of the gas it has a slight popping more like a rumble,when I give it gas it is smooth again,and yes I adjusted the mix screws they wear at 2 1/2 out stock I put them at 3 out, which one is the pilot jet all that came in the kit was the needles and 2 each jets 96,98,100 and yes the can is wide open thanks for the link :thumbup:

kkim
December 21st, 2008, 11:44 AM
Mike- pilot jets were not included in your kit. if you want to change them, you need to purchase them. I suggest lowering your clip position as it doesn't cost you anything but time...Kerry may be correct, but to find out which it is, my way is free, and possibly correct, too. :)

Either way, we are trying to richen up the mixture in that area.

kkim
December 21st, 2008, 12:03 PM
Mike

one more thought... when you installed the needles, did you also place some washers above the clip like they said to do in the instructions?

HKr1
December 21st, 2008, 02:33 PM
I like this cut away, shows the working's of the cv carb pretty good.

In this pic they call the pilot jet, the slow jet :)

mike_sema
December 25th, 2008, 04:19 PM
well kkim when I went to your post on removing the kleen air system and now I have it right my high rpm went away now it is in the low rpm rang on decell kind of a rumble do you think adjusting with the mix screws will help or going up or down on the clips thanks :D

kkim
December 25th, 2008, 05:07 PM
well kkim when I went to your post on removing the kleen air system and now I have it right my high rpm went away now it is in the low rpm rang on decell kind of a rumble do you think adjusting with the mix screws will help or going up or down on the clips thanks :D

try adjusting the mixture screws.
http://faq.ninja250.org/wiki/How_do_I_adjust_the_idle_mixture%3F

mike_sema
December 25th, 2008, 06:26 PM
well thanks for the link, i put the mix screws to 2 out what a pain in the ass with the carbs on the bike well when my buddy did this for me he said they are at 3 out not so much more like 5 out i havent started the bike yet just using 2 out as a base line for now:D and thanks you are the man for giving so many of us so much help :thumbup:

kkim
December 25th, 2008, 06:43 PM
The mixture screws a real pain to get to, but that's the only way to tune the idle circuit while the bike is running. You can't just set it to so many turns out and expect it to be perfect... it takes some tuning. Every bike is different, so you can't go by what someone else is using.

I use some very small screwdrivers from Harbor Freight...
http://www.harborfreight.com/cpi/ctaf/displayitem.taf?Itemnumber=35438

Vex advises using a Milwaukee offset screwdriver.
http://www.amazon.com/Milwaukee-Offset-Screwdriver-Right-Angle/dp/B000WCHZ86

mike_sema
December 25th, 2008, 07:47 PM
well i took the bike for a ride with it at 2 out felt the same as befor still pops at the low rpm rang, turn 1/4 out went for a ride same thing,1/4 turn out went for a ride same thing at this point i will adjust the clip position and start to make a hommade baffle,i think with the stock headers with the cats in them and the way my custom exhaust is set up i am going to need to get some backpressure, and i just cut a small screwdriver for the mix screws well it also helps that i have hands like a 8yr old :pound:

mike_sema
December 27th, 2008, 10:02 AM
hey kkim in this pic i see that you have caped one line and you have 2 other lines well it looks like 3 vacum lines connected my ? is the line just aft and to the top of your vacume plug what is that to you have to understand that i had someone do this for me and now i think that i am paying for it,b/c that same line on my bike it pluged off thanks

kkim
December 27th, 2008, 10:18 AM
Mike,

Sorry for the confusion. That is one of 2 extra lines that I ran out to the side of my bike so I could use it to easily access the vacuum lines for syncing purposes. Yours would not have that extra vacuum hose. In these pics, they the lines with the blue caps on them.

http://lh6.ggpht.com/_geC920GCq38/SFWwJsSyjrI/AAAAAAAAAXU/qyzAvJxQy-4/s640/DSC04349-1.JPG

http://lh3.ggpht.com/_geC920GCq38/SFnGHCohekI/AAAAAAAAAZY/4xPTNC4hs1s/s640/DSC04363-1.JPG

mike_sema
December 27th, 2008, 10:27 AM
so with the line pluged off what gives the carbs vacume

kkim
December 27th, 2008, 10:30 AM
the carbs are the vacuum source. You are capping the lines to keep air from entering the carbs through those lines. If left uncapped, your bike would run like it had a serious vacuum leak... which it would have. :)

mike_sema
December 27th, 2008, 11:03 AM
well this my sound bad but I really like the way my custom exhaust sounds and looks but I just can not take the rumble that it makes :mad: I have moved the needles clips messed with the mix screws and second guessed everything that my buddy did for me, I think that it is just the way that it is made the more I look at it I think that the open chamber right after the the pipe is what's making this rumble sound, its like scratching a chalk board to me when I ride and makes me not even wont to ride my baby so it has to go I will be ordering a vr exhaust from Indonesia thanks for all your help guys

00v_Lucky
February 25th, 2009, 01:15 AM
well, i just wanted to ask you mike, where did you get your rim tape. you have a thunder blue bike right? i really like how yours are much wider than most of the tapes out there

mike_sema
February 25th, 2009, 05:12 PM
I picked it up at www.cyclegear.com

Cochese
April 30th, 2009, 11:25 PM
Mike, did you end up ditching the GSXR can?

What is the inside diameter? Did you baffle it before you got rid of it?

I found a place to pick up universal baffle and fiberglass wrap but I need to know what the inside diameter is of the GSXR can so I can buy the right size...

I'm cross posting in the GSXR can threads.... don't kill me. :D