View Full Version : Who needs a front stand when you can ...

EthioKnight
July 27th, 2012, 11:23 PM
...do this!

http://img267.imageshack.us/img267/262/20120727717.jpg

story: had to change my front rotor due to slight warpage (your guess is as good as mine as to how it happened :confused:) and lacking a front stand, me and my buddies ghetto rigged this beauty of a contraption :D

Vergil
July 27th, 2012, 11:57 PM
If it works, it works

93etgocart
July 28th, 2012, 12:00 AM
when i had my cbr I didn't have a midstand and once needed to realign the back tire so I used a ratchet strap and the open rafters in my garage

Jiggles
July 28th, 2012, 12:14 AM
Ghetto rigged? Does the ghetto have motorcycles? I think not, this is a redneck rig

NDspd
July 28th, 2012, 04:05 AM
Dude, not a bad idea...I would do that!!

Motofool
July 28th, 2012, 06:04 AM
story: had to change my front rotor due to slight warpage (your guess is as good as mine as to how it happened :confused:) ....
Too much heat; .........maybe braking for too long (downhill) in a hot day in that Mobil's tunnel? :confused:

Very good idea, Alex! :thumbup: :thumbup: :thumbup:

BlackNinja8
July 28th, 2012, 11:37 AM
Ghetto rigged? Does the ghetto have motorcycles? I think not, this is a redneck rig

Oh, believe me the ghetto has motorcycles. In fact, if yours gets stolen its the first place you should look ;). Ghettos here may have lower income/educaton levels and people with ****** living conditions but when it comes to sneakers and autos they are not lacking.

joshuajcrouch
July 28th, 2012, 03:57 PM
Is the front just being held up by the handle bars? Or does it wrap around the bottom. Can't tell from the photos. Good idea!

EthioKnight
July 28th, 2012, 11:29 PM
Thanks guys, as far as ghetto designs go, it held up and did the job.
Motofool, I've been aware of the effect heat and brake locking on rotors when I changed my stock pads a thousand miles or so ago. After having gotten the HH sintered EBCs, my rotors started showing symptoms of warpage...perhaps I didn't seat them in right, I don't know. When I took the rotor out, I checked on the pads and I found one of them to be more worn (considerably so) than the other...don't know what that means either, but I've ordered new ones and hopefully they'll get rid of the slight rhythmic click click sound I hear while coasting at slow speeds.
joshuajcrouch, we wrapped the straps around the triple tree (seemed like a sturdy place seeing as triple tree stands use it also)

CZroe
July 29th, 2012, 06:56 AM
A girl on these forums beat you to this method of suspending the front end. :)

thisisbenji
July 29th, 2012, 07:44 AM
Oh, believe me the ghetto has motorcycles. In fact, if yours gets stolen its the first place you should look ;). Ghettos here may have lower income/educaton levels and people with ****** living conditions but when it comes to sneakers and autos they are not lacking.

I often drive by the ghetto and wonder why they have better autos than my neighborhood.

highpsiguy
July 29th, 2012, 07:59 AM
I often drive by the ghetto and wonder why they have better autos than my neighborhood.

They don't have to pay for their food, housing,electricity or insurance/health care. YOU DO !!! Silly rabbit...

thisisbenji
July 29th, 2012, 08:18 AM
They don't have to pay for their food, housing,electricity or insurance/health care. YOU DO !!! Silly rabbit...

Well I understand that, I also understand that they probably get their money under the table. I just don't get why they can't afford all of that other stuff if they can afford nice cars/bikes.

LoD575
July 31st, 2012, 10:00 PM
Well I understand that, I also understand that they probably get their money under the table. I just don't get why they can't afford all of that other stuff if they can afford nice cars/bikes.

They can afford it just choose not to. Why pay all that cash when the gubberment will do it for you.

tooblekain
August 1st, 2012, 12:02 AM
This is how I have changed out multiple shocks on bikes.

choneofakind
August 1st, 2012, 04:53 AM
EthioKnight do you keep the bike still at lights by using the front brake a little? That doesn't explain the odd pad wear, but it might explain the warping.

The pads get hot and keep one spot on the rotor hot and that could cause warping. I usually use the back brake at lights cuz idgaf about that one. I only use it in parking lots and right before i stop completely at lights anyways.
Posted via Mobile Device

EthioKnight
August 1st, 2012, 12:04 PM
EthioKnight do you keep the bike still at lights by using the front brake a little? That doesn't explain the odd pad wear, but it might explain the warping.

The pads get hot and keep one spot on the rotor hot and that could cause warping. I usually use the back brake at lights cuz idgaf about that one. I only use it in parking lots and right before i stop completely at lights anyways.
Posted via Mobile Device

Yeah, I do the same. The only time I use the front brake after stopping is to flash my light a couple of time to alert oncoming traffic behind (customLED set to strobe 3 times to one touch of lever so a couple of touches). Don't know how it warped, but that's fixed now (the pulses felt during braking are no longer), now is to diagnose the click-click sound at coasting (installing new pads today and if that doesn't resolve the issue, I'm going to look at the forks) tnx