View Full Version : Inspection Sticker - Where to put it???

wvninjamom
July 30th, 2012, 03:15 PM
WV is requiring that the motorcycle inspection sticker be visible after this year. Right now, mine's under my seat. Trying to figure out how to mount it and where to put it so it doesn't look stupid or stick to the bike somewhere I don't want it. Anyone else have this and what'd you do???
:confused:

Whiskey
July 30th, 2012, 03:24 PM
How big is it, how sticky is it & how visible does it need to be?

The black plastic around the dash, on the swinger, behind the screen, on the licence plate ( I know a few people who block a few numbers with their tax disc, that may well get you in serious trouble anywhere other than Ireland)

Jiggles
July 30th, 2012, 03:29 PM
Sidewall of tire

dirty nasty
July 30th, 2012, 03:34 PM
Well, in the end, the decision isn't up to you. Unless you convince whoever is in charge to change the rules.

In MA they go on our license plates, right next to a registration year sticker. Why don't they do that?

Other places I've seen require it be on the lower right fork leg. My bike actually has an old outline of an inspection sticker that used to be attached to the fork leg.

Whiskey
July 30th, 2012, 03:38 PM
Well, in the end, the decision isn't up to you. Unless you convince whoever is in charge to change the rules.

In MA they go on our license plates, right next to a registration year sticker. Why don't they do that?

Other places I've seen require it be on the lower right fork leg. My bike actually has an old outline of an inspection sticker that used to be attached to the fork leg.

How does that work for USD forks...

dirty nasty
July 30th, 2012, 03:39 PM
I've got no clue actually. Maybe they make an exception for those bikes that allows it to be in a different place?

Monkeytofu
July 30th, 2012, 03:40 PM
you can buy a license plate backer from a lot of motorcycle stores/mechanics that have a tab you put the sticker on.

http://cf.mp-cdn.net/d7/17/6f0870df087e954fca305d1dce37.jpg

http://www.ebay.com/itm/Chris-Products-motorcycle-DMV-license-inspection-sticker-decal-plate-/221071783073?pt=Motorcycles_Parts_Accessories&hash=item3378e7b4a1&vxp=mtr

~6 dollars shipped.

wvninjamom
July 30th, 2012, 03:41 PM
It's pretty sticky and it's probably 2"x3" or 3"x4". They want it on the forks where it is visible or on a separate mount next to the license plate (on the left of the plate). Not excited about either of these options - I think our local shop would be willing to stretch the rules a little if the sticker was still visible.
If I have to go with one of the options, I guess I would prefer the mount next to the plate. Has anyone seen any of these??

Bob2010
July 30th, 2012, 04:19 PM
I'm in NY. both my bikes have them in different spots. One is on the lower left front fork. The other bike has it on top of the fork by the dash. Indont know what one is correct but I like the fact one is almost hidden

alex.s
July 30th, 2012, 04:21 PM
i think this is obsurd. do cars need an inspection sticker? its nothing but people trying to create more restrictions for motorcyclists. i would put it in the worst place just so the fuzz pull me over and waste their time making sure the bike has been inspected. i would do my best to waste as much of their time as i could until they realize its a stupid law.

for some things, i have a lot of time to waste.

Whiskey
July 30th, 2012, 04:52 PM
i think this is obsurd. do cars need an inspection sticker? its nothing but people trying to create more restrictions for motorcyclists. i would put it in the worst place just so the fuzz pull me over and waste their time making sure the bike has been inspected. i would do my best to waste as much of their time as i could until they realize its a stupid law.

for some things, i have a lot of time to waste.

That's weird, a cage can take out a half dozen at a go, how many cagers know their machine as well as any biker does, and they inspect bikes only:rolleyes:

Sounds like someone who never sat on a bike, doesn't like loud pipes or aftermarket bits & thinks they can save bikers from themselves came up with that idea

DaBlue1
July 30th, 2012, 05:04 PM
Just get a cheap inspection sticker plate (http://www.jpcycles.com/product/3800520?utm_source=none&utm_medium=cpc&utm_term=&gclid=CPKlzY3OwrECFY2b7QodPDcAXg) and mount it with the front reflector bolt.
http://img.jpcycles.com/product/3800520_A.jpg

lgk
July 30th, 2012, 05:12 PM
i just slapped my sticker on my left fork, under the clip on.

Monkeytofu
July 30th, 2012, 08:04 PM
That's weird, a cage can take out a half dozen at a go, how many cagers know their machine as well as any biker does, and they inspect bikes only:rolleyes:

Sounds like someone who never sat on a bike, doesn't like loud pipes or aftermarket bits & thinks they can save bikers from themselves came up with that idea

What? Cars require inspection and have inspection stickers as well.

Soujyu
July 31st, 2012, 07:42 AM
The swingarm is a good place to put it, as it's visible.

Here, the dealer which I bought the bike had their own license plate cover that had that extra tab for an inspection sticker, and that's where I've got my inspection sticker attached.

massacremasses
July 31st, 2012, 07:49 AM
What? Cars require inspection and have inspection stickers as well.

uhh where?

wvninjamom
July 31st, 2012, 08:23 AM
For what it's worth, we have to have our cars, trucks, etc inspected yearly as well. For them, the inspection sticker is required to be on the left front windshield. $12 fee for the inspection and they have no problem failing you if your car or bike has mechanical issues.

C L
July 31st, 2012, 08:25 AM
New jersey for one

ai4px
July 31st, 2012, 10:14 AM
WV is requiring that the motorcycle inspection sticker be visible after this year. Right now, mine's under my seat. Trying to figure out how to mount it and where to put it so it doesn't look stupid or stick to the bike somewhere I don't want it. Anyone else have this and what'd you do???
:confused:

When SC used to require inspections, they wrapped the sticker around the left front fork tube.

dirty nasty
July 31st, 2012, 01:56 PM
When SC used to require inspections, they wrapped the sticker around the left front fork tube.

But like Whiskey said, what about bikes with upside down forks? Surely there must be a provision for that.