View Full Version : help

msp198
August 3rd, 2012, 02:51 AM
hi all,

i have a few questions about the 250 and figured this would be the best place to ask. I live in the UK and just passed my direct access yesterday.

Despite my pals trying to get me to get something big, i was considering getting something like an SV650 or an FZ6. However, i have been offered a really good deal by a family friend on a 250r and i figure it would be much easier to increase my skill level quickly so i can safely progress to a larger sports bike quicker. I have sat on it and i have a few concerns.

at 6'2", with quite long legs, my knees dont fit behind the fairing, can this be remedied by modding the pegs and levers, if so, will this make it more likely to scrape them on the ground while cornering or any other problems associated with this? How much will this cost me?

I am also a little on the heavy side, at 220lb, will i still be able to get the sub 6 second 0-60?

For me, the benefits of getting one of these for 6 months to a year outweigh the cons, the only con being its not a 3-4 second bike to 60. however, in the interest of safety and learning the skills required to ride a bigger bike, i can wait. i dont trust myself to be 100% restrained on a supersport immediately (which is why i was thinking of an SV to begin with.

Any advice on making the 250r more suited to a taller rider would be much appreciated as i really dont want to look like im riding a mini moto lol.

Also, if it helps, i have been doing my training and test on a GS500, so in comparison with this bike (which is acceptable on the acceleration and agility) how does it stack up?

Mountain Dew
August 3rd, 2012, 03:14 AM
I'm assuming you mean Ninja 250 when you say 250r.

A new (08+) 250 does 0-60 in like 7 seconds. You will be fine on one, size-wise. It was my first bike and I thoroughly enjoyed it.

It seems like all you really care about is going as fast as you can in a straight line. You may want to rethink WHY you want to ride.

msp198
August 3rd, 2012, 03:27 AM
cheers for the reply, dont get me wrong, i want acceleration but i also want a bike i can throw round the corners too. i also have no intention of being a fair weather rider either. I have just sold my car (wife still has hers for really bad weather) but if i really really wanted fast straight line speed i would not be considering a ninja 250. that said, the comfort isue of not being able to fit my legs behind the side fairings is the problem for me. if i can remedy that reasonably easily then i will probably go for the 250. my theory is if i can begin to master riding this, i will be in a much better position to ride a larger bike well with regards to cornering at higher speeds and control of the bike in gerneral etc.

Mountain Dew
August 3rd, 2012, 03:31 AM
Whoa. I could've sworn I was on another forum when I answered this. That's why I wasn't sure if you were talking about the ninja. My bad :3

Old Lemon
August 3rd, 2012, 09:54 AM
scraping pegs isnt a problem, it should be a goal!

Lychee
August 3rd, 2012, 10:06 AM
Your theory is sound and very well thought out. You will fit on the bike. Buy it, ride it, learn it, sell it, buy another.

Motofool
August 3rd, 2012, 10:23 AM
Welcome to the site, Mark !!

.........at 6'2", with quite long legs, my knees dont fit behind the fairing.........

How is that possible?

There is no fairing ahead of your knees.

For a pre-gen (pre-2008), removing the fairing is an easy modification.

Maybe a low cc's taller bike? (Dual purpose, trial).

Check this thread out:

http://www.ninjette.org/forums/showthread.php?t=110767

jack_bm
August 3rd, 2012, 10:43 AM
I live in the UK to and this is a great bike, like you im 6ft2 and my knees dont fit under the fairing when sitting in certain ways or have certain footware on, but despite all that, i love the ninja it corners amazingly i've had mine nearly a year now, yes i do want to move onto a bigger bike (waiting for restriction to come off license) but i feel if i went straight onto a bigger bike i would have had an accident, the ninja is forgiving and you will learn, and improve your skills before getting on a real big sport bike, i'd go for it!

alex.s
August 3rd, 2012, 11:28 AM
hi all,

hi!

i have a few questions about the 250 and figured this would be the best place to ask. I live in the UK and just passed my direct access yesterday.

congrats.

Despite my pals trying to get me to get something big, i was considering getting something like an SV650 or an FZ6. However, i have been offered a really good deal by a family friend on a 250r and i figure it would be much easier to increase my skill level quickly so i can safely progress to a larger sports bike quicker. I have sat on it and i have a few concerns.

good choices already...

at 6'2", with quite long legs, my knees dont fit behind the fairing, can this be remedied by modding the pegs and levers, if so, will this make it more likely to scrape them on the ground while cornering or any other problems associated with this? How much will this cost me?

scoot your butt further back on the seat and youll be fine. no need to change anything. rearsets (relocated pegs/pedals) move them back and up and are mostly for clearance not so much comfort.

I am also a little on the heavy side, at 220lb, will i still be able to get the sub 6 second 0-60?

sub 6 second 0-60 probably isnt going to happen on a stock ninja 250. regardless of rider weight.

For me, the benefits of getting one of these for 6 months to a year outweigh the cons, the only con being its not a 3-4 second bike to 60. however, in the interest of safety and learning the skills required to ride a bigger bike, i can wait. i dont trust myself to be 100% restrained on a supersport immediately (which is why i was thinking of an SV to begin with.

give it a few years. youll be amazed at how much power even a little bike has. it may not be a 3second supersport but honestly its easy enough to get ahead of yourself with 30hp.

Any advice on making the 250r more suited to a taller rider would be much appreciated as i really dont want to look like im riding a mini moto lol.

Also, if it helps, i have been doing my training and test on a GS500, so in comparison with this bike (which is acceptable on the acceleration and agility) how does it stack up?

it will be very similar to a gs500.

Jiggles
August 3rd, 2012, 07:36 PM
I know you said you want a 3-4 second bike, but why? Who are you intending on racing?

msp198
August 7th, 2012, 01:18 AM
cheers for the replies guys, some decent info there. apologies for the delay in responding, i have no internet at home at the mo as we just moved so i have to wait until i am in the office.

i went to have a look at a ninja 250 last night and had a test ride. I honestly didnt think a 250 would ride that nice so im going to get it and see how i feel about upgrading to either zx6 or gsxr next summer. i'll have a better idea of my skill level by then.

With regards to the racing question, no one in particular although i do want to start going on track days in the future. I just like speed, i have had fast cars but i prefer bikes, so, that leads me to fast bikes.

Gorilla25
August 7th, 2012, 01:33 AM
I just like speed, i have had fast cars but i prefer bikes, so, that leads me to fast bikes.

going fast in a car is a WHOLE different world from riding fast on a bike or properly handling a bike at high rates of speed for that matter. (please keep that at the track :o) . you already made a good choice to start off on a 250. take the time to acquire the necessary skills to become a good rider and not just rush to upgrade to a supersport. oh yea, :welcome: to the forum :thumbup:

loz944
August 7th, 2012, 04:21 AM
I am 6ft 4 and have no problems riding my 2012 ninja 250r. it is a great bike,if you need to get your feet back further fit rearsets cost from around £100 for a good set but I think you will be fine .