View Full Version : Integrating Radio

Coolbpf
August 6th, 2012, 08:47 PM
So since headphones in the helmet are both uncomfortable and illegal (where i'm at anyways), I thought about making a little radio for the ninjette...

Not anything fancy, maybe some low profile battery or wired in speakers that would take a line in from my phone to play my favoritest music or my pandora radio. Anyone done this? Sounds like a fun idea to me :D

I was just thinking I could get some sort of case or holder that would store underneath my windscreen to hold my phone, and mount the speakers with some sort of quick-release mount system (I'm still working out the kinks on that one) for when it rains.

Stupid, or innovative? :thumbup:

Monkeytofu
August 6th, 2012, 08:57 PM
Not stupid. Kits like this exist already if you're interested in just buying something.

http://www.dealextreme.com/p/anti-theft-security-alarm-system-with-mp3-speaker-for-motorcycle-109768?item=20

This one is also an alarm system. Two birds with one stone :)

If you search around that site and on the internet you'll find ones with built in radios as well.

Coolbpf
August 6th, 2012, 09:52 PM
Much cheaper than what I wouldve spent. Thank those good chinese lads who assembled it. Looks cool, I have a question. If i have O-rings from an underlight kit ive got on the bike hooked up to my battery, do i just throw the o-rings that this system will take on top of the other o-rings? Am i going to run into short problems running two systems of the battery O.o

93etgocart
August 6th, 2012, 10:00 PM
You will be fine putting another connector on top of the one you already have. I used to do it in my big sound systems in my cars

Coolbpf
August 6th, 2012, 10:20 PM
Right on. Are we riding the 11th?

93etgocart
August 6th, 2012, 11:17 PM
Not sure if ill be able to make it

fierostetz
August 31st, 2012, 02:10 PM
why not just install speakers in your helmet? that's legal.
I have 5 helmets, speakers installed in every one. On the left side of the helmet by the D-ring, I've sewed the female plug into the d-ring strap. When I want to listen to music or use walkie talkies, etc. I can just get a female to female plug and run it from my helmet to my phone/ipod/entertainment device. Usually works great. Works much better when I'm wearing earplugs, as the earplugs kill the wind blast and just conduct the speaker sounds into my ears better. I can still hear just fine. I've installed speakers on a bike before and it sucked unless it was turned up horrendously loud. Give the helmet speakers some consideration; it's like 30 bucks total to do it.

Jiggles
August 31st, 2012, 02:14 PM
Here's a better idea. Pick up one of these and attach it to your helmet http://www.thinkgeek.com/product/eaf8/

It will turn your entire helmet into a speaker that only you can hear. I tried it on my and it works quite well once you find the right spot

fierostetz
August 31st, 2012, 02:16 PM
Here's a better idea. Pick up one of these and attach it to your helmet http://www.thinkgeek.com/product/eaf8/

It will turn your entire helmet into a speaker that only you can hear. I tried it on my and it works quite well once you find the right spot

ha I played with one of those. I used to work at Apple a long long time ago and we had some *giant* plate glass windows. stuck the speaker thingy on there and the whole glass wall was vibrating. Crazy stuff! The helmet speakers have served me well over the last ~90-100k of riding. I'd never own a helmet without 'em now! Of note: some of the best low-cost helmet speakers I've found were from a chatterbox "music only" headset, and their coiled male/male 3.5mm cable.

Jiggles
August 31st, 2012, 02:20 PM
Haha yea they are awesome. I found boxes and plastic trash cans to be some of the best amplifiers. On the helmet though it's like there is sound coming at you from all sides and for $30 it works surprisingly well

fierostetz
August 31st, 2012, 02:27 PM
Haha yea they are awesome. I found boxes and plastic trash cans to be some of the best amplifiers. On the helmet though it's like there is sound coming at you from all sides and for $30 it works surprisingly well

Interesting, never thought of using a trashcan!
I wish we'd get more in the way of inductive audio devices, i.e. the "bone phone" - the headsets that pick up audio from the vibration in your ear, and vibrate your ear directly to pass audio. It'd make things simpler :P

krolinked
August 31st, 2012, 02:30 PM
How loud will it go? How well does it work really?
I am very interested in this idea, I dont want to get some kruddy sound quality though :eek:

Advice jiggles?

fierostetz
August 31st, 2012, 02:34 PM
I am very interested in this idea, I dont want to get some kruddy sound quality though :eek:

Advice jiggles?

are you asking about the onboard stereo, built in speakers, or sticking the doodad to your helmet?

I'd say the options are dependent upon your use.
The onboard stereo is going to give poor sound quality no matter what you do; you're going to get most of your sound (on the low end specifically) washed out by wind noise; the booming cavitation, etc. is going to take away all but the highest treble-y bits. The inductive device that you stick to the helmet seems like an occasionally thing, and the in-helmet speakers have actual diaphragms, and they're permanently installed. Sound quality's good, but you lack bass unless you ride with earplugs. The inductive speaker thing jiggles posted doesn't translate bass very well, especially on a vibration resistant surface (poly shell with foam inside = vibration resistant, I would think).

Lychee
August 31st, 2012, 02:46 PM
Much cheaper than what I wouldve spent. Thank those good chinese lads who assembled it. Looks cool, I have a question. If i have O-rings from an underlight kit ive got on the bike hooked up to my battery, do i just throw the o-rings that this system will take on top of the other o-rings? Am i going to run into short problems running two systems of the battery O.o

Not sure if you knew, but there are two 10 Amp fused accessory leads pre-installed in the wiring harness on the 2006 model. One ends under the combination meter and the other I think ends near the battery but I forget. The power line is white with a blue stripe. Might be useful?

Jiggles
August 31st, 2012, 03:05 PM

Advice jiggles?

You won't hear it at highway speeds but just cruising around at like 40-45 it would be fine. It's loudness depends entirely on what it's being used on, the best way I can describe is that it will be surprisingly louder than you think it will be for its size. Basically what it does is turn the entire shell of your helmet (if you put it in the right spot) into a speaker

Coolbpf
August 31st, 2012, 03:49 PM
The helmet is layered stiff though, so vibrations will either pass right through and be awesome, or not vibrate at all and be crap.

Probably just going to throw some helmet speakers behind my ear pads and go with that. Didn't even know they made such a thing.

Jiggles
August 31st, 2012, 04:10 PM
I tried it on my helmets and it works great