View Full Version : A nice safe way to stay in touch while on the bike

codestp202
August 9th, 2012, 07:09 PM
If anyone else has the problem of missing a lot of info while you're on a bike ride. Some people may want complete freedom while riding but I have noticed that I tend to miss a lot of important calls/texts while I'm on my bike. I also almost always have at least one of my headphone in while riding.

I ordered these
http://www.amazon.com/Samsung-Galaxy-Hands-Stereo-Headset/dp/B0049Y2PIS/ref=sr_1_1?ie=UTF8&qid=1344564408&sr=8-1&keywords=%22Samsung+Galaxy+Tab+Hands+Free+3.5mm+Stereo+Headset+-+Black+%28EHS60ANNBEGST1%29%22

And I downloaded the app Text by Voice on my android (Idk if its on iphone)

It allows me to listen to music, and have any incoming texts read to me/ and I can text back by voice if I choose, it also allow me to hands free change music/ pause/ play/ answer texts and phone calls without taking my hands off the bars. Hopefully this will help somebody because I love it, it mutes my music for the duration of me using the app. You also have the option of the program turning itself on when you travel over 10mph which is awesome.

rjones91
August 10th, 2012, 05:58 AM
I ride with a bluetooth headset around my neck and this app will come in handy. Thanks for sharing. I'm gonna download it to my phone and give it a try :thumbup:.

CC Cowboy
August 10th, 2012, 06:33 AM
Riding a motorcycle requires total concentration at all times. Any distraction could be life threatening.

Forget the phone, text, music, and ride safely (your life depends on it).

massacremasses
August 10th, 2012, 06:40 AM
they can wait until I get to my destination. Im not gonna risk my life to respond to anyone.

codestp202
August 10th, 2012, 06:48 AM
Riding a motorcycle requires total concentration at all times. Any distraction could be life threatening.

I ride with music on all of the time, and I still have total concentration, actually, having music makes me concentrate more on my riding. To each his own! :)

azimmer11
August 10th, 2012, 06:48 AM

You could say the same about a car though too, but.....

CC Cowboy
August 10th, 2012, 08:25 AM
You could say the same about a car though too, but.....

As it is true about a car (and concentration), the difference between the two in accident is extremely different.

flynjay
August 10th, 2012, 08:32 AM
Remember the days when we didn't have cell phones? We don't need to be in constant contact, at least I don't.

codestp202
August 10th, 2012, 08:32 AM
As it is true about a car (and concentration), the difference between the two in accident is extremely different.

Also, just because you get a text or call doesn't mean you have to listen to it/ respond. Imagine you're waiting on an important call from a possible future employee, wouldn't you like to know they're calling you so then you can pull over and talk? That example is a little bit extreme but you catch my drift.

flynjay not that you have to be in constant touch, but I know a lot of times I'm on a ride waiting for figure out plans with some buddies and there is no way for me to stay in touch with them. You need to look at the possibilities, not just ZOMG I HAS TO TEXT MAH FRIENDS ALL TEH TIMEZ

Bosgarage57
August 10th, 2012, 08:41 AM
Cody is the app called text by voice, or something else?

Also downloaded an app called media volume, where it automatically turns up and down the volume depending on the speed you are going.

lgk
August 10th, 2012, 09:03 AM
Also, just because you get a text or call doesn't mean you have to listen to it/ respond. Imagine you're waiting on an important call from a possible future employee, wouldn't you like to know they're calling you so then you can pull over and talk? That example is a little bit extreme but you catch my drift.

Just get an office assistant to screen your calls.
Good employees received enough training work on their own.

When hiring an employee, they should be expecting a call from you. Not the other way around. Just setup an appointment if its truly important.

dfox
August 10th, 2012, 09:06 AM
the best way to stay in touch with your friends, is to ignore them while you're on the road, car or bike, period. then you can arrive safely and in one piece.

Plans can wait. turn up the ringer on your phone so you know if someone is calling. If they are, then pull over and answer.

hands free doesn't mean brain free. you are using a portion of your concentration to carry a conversation, listen to a text, or speak a new text.

it's a stupid idea, car or bike.

red5
August 10th, 2012, 09:11 AM
Cool. But for me, I gladly stow the phone while on the bike. It's pretty much the only time anymore that I am "unavailable".

LoD575
August 10th, 2012, 10:27 AM
I have my phone on me while riding but ignore any kind of messages or calls until I can safely pull into a parking lot / rest area to respond.

I use my iphone mostly for music when on a lengthy ride.

codestp202
August 10th, 2012, 12:52 PM
Just get an office assistant to screen your calls.
Good employees received enough training work on their own.

When hiring an employee, they should be expecting a call from you. Not the other way around. Just setup an appointment if its truly important.

the best way to stay in touch with your friends, is to ignore them while you're on the road, car or bike, period. then you can arrive safely and in one piece.

Plans can wait. turn up the ringer on your phone so you know if someone is calling. If they are, then pull over and answer.

hands free doesn't mean brain free. you are using a portion of your concentration to carry a conversation, listen to a text, or speak a new text.

it's a stupid idea, car or bike.

Oops, I meant employer. The E and R keys are right next to each other, it was meant to be a quick example not something to be thought about in detail. Heres another one, you ride your bike everyday, your wife is preggers and could give birth any day, this allows you to get a text/ call and not wonder if its your wife is going into labor blah blah blah Sigh, I always mean my threads to be lighthearted and easy going, why must they turn into education time? How the hell is it a stupid idea? I think it's a great idea because it allows me to hear the texts coming in, are you going to respond while hitting the twisties.. No. But for daily commuting purposes it's awesome, much safer then whipping out your phone to check who's calling/ texting you (Which I have seen people on motorcycles do) and it's awesome while driving a car, it could stop so many texting accidents because you're not looking down at your phone.

And Bosgarage57 search sonalight, that is the name of the company, i couldnt find it simply by searching text by voice, instead try ( Sonalight text by voice)

Monkeytofu
August 10th, 2012, 01:03 PM
If you don't want the distraction of sound you can buy bluetooth bracelets that vibrate and display the name of the person sending you texts or calling you for pretty cheap. They've been sold on a lot of chinese gadget sites for a while now.

lgk
August 10th, 2012, 01:09 PM
If you don't want the distraction of sound you can buy bluetooth bracelets that vibrate and display the name of the person sending you texts or calling you for pretty cheap. They've been sold on a lot of chinese gadget sites for a while now.

this is a much better idea.

codestp202
August 10th, 2012, 01:11 PM
this is a much better idea.

that is pretty badass
HOWEVER: you have to look down at your wrist, that is a huge distraction isn't it?

Bosgarage57
August 10th, 2012, 01:20 PM
to play devils advocate:

let me get this straight, you would rather use a bracket, where you'd have to remove your hand from your handlebars to look at an itty bitty screen, rather than just listening to whom is texting/calling you???!!! Ive rode for many years now with headphones/ earbuds/ bluetooth and quiet enjoy the ride better.

If you dont like it, thats cool, but dont knock other peoples ideas cause you dont like it. The bracket is pretty neat though, first time I've heard of them :) Thanks Noor.

codestp202
August 10th, 2012, 01:21 PM
to play devils advocate:

let me get this straight, you would rather use a bracket, where you'd have to remove your hand from your handlebars to look at an itty bitty screen, rather than just listening to whom is texting/calling you???!!! Ive rode for many years now with headphones/ earbuds/ bluetooth and quiet enjoy the ride better.

If you dont like it, thats cool, but dont knock other peoples ideas cause you dont like it. The bracket is pretty neat though, first time I've heard of them :) Thanks Noor.

I love you ;) In a completely...homo...NON homosexual way

Bosgarage57
August 10th, 2012, 01:24 PM
thanks for the link about the text by voice, Im gonna try it and see how it is.

ps. I think if you use homo twice in a sentence it is like a double negative, soooooo I feel a little uncomfortable :)

lgk
August 10th, 2012, 01:26 PM
that is pretty badass
HOWEVER: you have to look down at your wrist, that is a huge distraction isn't it?

who said i would look while moving.
could look at a stoplight, but that would be it.

why are you so insistent on being tethered to a phone...

codestp202
August 10th, 2012, 01:29 PM
thanks for the link about the text by voice, Im gonna try it and see how it is.

ps. I think if you use homo twice in a sentence it is like a double negative, soooooo I feel a little uncomfortable :)

who said i would look while moving.
could look at a stoplight, but that would be it.

why are you so insistent on being tethered to a phone...

lolol let me know if you like that app

And im not insistent on being tethered to it, it's a simple luxury that I enjoy to have when I'm on my longer rides. Sometimes I go out with nothing and enjoy the ride to calm down for a day, but a lot of times, I ride my bike as sole transportation and I like to be connected because like many other people, I have a busy life and I need to be able to get calls from my boss! It's not very good when your boss calls you a couple times and you don't answer because you're on the bike on the way to the job site.

lgk
August 10th, 2012, 01:36 PM
It's not very good when your boss calls you a couple times and you don't answer because you're on the bike on the way to the job site.

tell that dude to give you a work truck, or a company car, if he need you to do that much stuff on the way there.
the motorcycle wont work too well juggling multiple work tasks and changing plans.

why is he calling so much anyway?

or is boss a codename for girlfriend?

codestp202
August 10th, 2012, 01:38 PM
tell that dude to give you a work truck, or a company car, if he need you to do that much stuff on the way there.
the motorcycle wont work too well juggling multiple work tasks and changing plans.

why is he calling so much anyway?

or is boss a codename for girlfriend?

Let's agree to disagree. My boss is my father's long time friend, and it is a part time job inbetween my last job, my summer classes, and it is temporary as I will go back to school next week and get my normal job. I simply think you are trying way too hard to pick apart this idea. I don't think we will come to an agreement, it will just be an argument where you will not change your mind and I will not change mine either.

Bosgarage57
August 10th, 2012, 01:41 PM
I think the app is pretty cool, except for if you send a text back to a person, they have to download the app before it would open it. I'll be trying it out next time im on my bike. thanks!

Also think if you and your friend both ride, and like to listen to music, well if you get the earphones cody has in the first post, you guys could sent texts to each other while riding, such as, "I need gas" "Did you see that awesome Wheelie I just did!!!!!!" or the such :)

OR you can go to settings and enable calling, so you can hands free call people if need be. In case of an accident.

Cody: how do you like the earphones you listed? Do you have to push a button to talk into it or how does it work? I use chatterbox's but most of the time dont use the acutal unit, just the headphones. It should work with the mouth peice as well. I'll be trying it tomorrow. Also do you know what the difference is in between the free and premium version?

codestp202
August 10th, 2012, 01:48 PM
I think the app is pretty cool, except for if you send a text back to a person, they have to download the app before it would open it. I'll be trying it out next time im on my bike. thanks!

Also think if you and your friend both ride, and like to listen to music, well if you get the earphones cody has in the first post, you guys could sent texts to each other while riding, such as, "I need gas" "Did you see that awesome Wheelie I just did!!!!!!" or the such :)

Cody: how do you like the earphones you listed? Do you have to push a button to talk into it or how does it work? I use chatterbox's but most of the time dont use the acutal unit, just the headphones. It should work with the mouth peice as well. I'll be trying it tomorrow.

Hey bos, I've sent out plenty of texts trying it and the person doesnt have to download the app, it sends your text then says like "sent from text by voice" or something along those lines. I'll let you know how the headphones are, they are coming in on monday and i'll test them soon after. The thing I liked is that the microphone is right by your mouth unlike most where it is at the bottom of the cable. so it would be inside your helmet without you having to strap it in

And I believe with premium, you can remove that ad part where it says you sent it using the app, and I think it unlocks some more advanced settings. Not really sure though

lgk
August 10th, 2012, 01:51 PM
Let's agree to disagree. My boss is my father's long time friend, and it is a part time job inbetween my last job, my summer classes, and it is temporary as I will go back to school next week and get my normal job. I simply think you are trying way too hard to pick apart this idea. I don't think we will come to an agreement, it will just be an argument where you will not change your mind and I will not change mine either.

fair enough, i was just trying to see where you were coming from.

in my mind nothing is more important than the ride itself.

Monkeytofu
August 10th, 2012, 01:53 PM
that is pretty badass

Well, it'd be more noticeable to you than your phone vibrating in your pocket and you could quickly look at it at a stop or traffic light without messing around with your phone in your pocket.

to play devils advocate:

Not knocking anything, I'm personally against using earbuds during riding for a variety of reasons. I use my 250 as my main form of transportation and it's one of the only moments I really have to myself :)

Also you could put the wrist band on to your triple clamp or handle bar and just read off of it like that. It'd be less risky than attaching your bike with Velcro to the bike. However, many of my friends use these high strength velcros and they've never had an issue.

On the topic of riding your bike without your hands, that's why man invented cruise control for, right? ;)

http://i.imgur.com/VkBgM.jpg

Stingray1000
August 10th, 2012, 02:28 PM
Text by Voice on my android (Idk if its on iphone)

Can't find it in the market, can you find the apk file and share it?

Bosgarage57
August 10th, 2012, 02:30 PM

Search in the market "Sonalight text by voice" it'll come up as soon as you put in sonalight. Atleast it did for me.

codestp202
August 10th, 2012, 02:44 PM

Search in the market "Sonalight text by voice" it'll come up as soon as you put in sonalight. Atleast it did for me.

yeah stingray, you will find it immediately if you put sonalight at the beginning. I had the same problem

Stingray1000
August 10th, 2012, 03:57 PM
Found it! thanks guys!

Stingray1000
August 10th, 2012, 04:04 PM
pretty cool, but how does it allow you change your music?

EsrTek
August 10th, 2012, 05:22 PM
great lil text program..thanks!!!

codestp202
August 11th, 2012, 07:49 AM
pretty cool, but how does it allow you change your music?

I dont think so, maybe in the advanced one you could, but I believe you just use the buttons on your mic that are on your headphones for music

dfox
August 11th, 2012, 08:47 AM

Just voicing my opinion against, just like you're voicing your opinion for it. :thumbup:

It's been proven that even hands free, voice only devices still distract you significantly from driving a car, let alone a motorcycle.

dirty nasty
August 11th, 2012, 04:16 PM
This is funny. I ride my bike to get away from the phone!