View Full Version : what to do with hurricane rain?

ck8go
August 11th, 2012, 07:18 AM
I need help!
My poor bike is getting poured on! I got a cover off ebay a while ago which has done okay ish. But it rained for three days and the rain went straight through which doesn't surprise me for a ebay cover but my temp light then came on and off for a few days after the rain and I'm thinking the rain got to it til it dried out. Well now that it's straight pouring and don't want to have any problems again. So does anyone have an outdoor weather cover that you would recommend and where did you get it? I have to have a waterproof cover not just a storage cover. Thanx*

Racer x
August 11th, 2012, 07:40 AM
The big blue tarp from home Depo or some plastic will keep the cover dry. If there is no way to bring it inside. Put on a dry cover. Then cover the cover with plastic and try to bail it up at the bottom. Put some plywood up to make some sortnof shelter . Or at least park it againced a wall facing down wins.
WD 40 is water displacement oil#40. Spray everything but the seat and tires with it. That is all I can think of.

lgk
August 11th, 2012, 07:41 AM
try spraying some water repellent on the cover.

go to a boat store and ask the guy, what he recommends boat covers and canopies.

buy the chemical and water proof the cover you have.

i got a guardian cover and it works well, but still needs the be treated from time to time.

lgk
August 11th, 2012, 07:49 AM
have you checked your radiator and reservoir?

my bike has been in some bad downpours while street fightered and my temp sensor never turned on.

sc37
August 11th, 2012, 08:08 AM
http://www.walmart.com/ip/Backyard-Grill-70-Deluxe-Grill-Cover/19528744

Get a large gas grill cover. I think there's a thread on here that details it. I got my 68-in one at Wal Mart for $12. The covers are made of vinyl so they're waterproof and the inside is lined with fleece which won't scratch your bike! After storms, there are actually pools of water on top of my cover if I don't tie it down tightly, so I know it definitely can handle the weather.

lgk
August 11th, 2012, 08:25 AM
http://www.walmart.com/ip/Backyard-Grill-70-Deluxe-Grill-Cover/19528744

Get a large gas grill cover. I think there's a thread on here that details it. I got my 68-in one at Wal Mart for $12. The covers are made of vinyl so they're waterproof and the inside is lined with fleece which won't scratch your bike! After storms, there are actually pools of water on top of my cover if I don't tie it down tightly, so I know it definitely can handle the weather.

didnt think of that, since i have only charcoal webers.
thats perfect:thumbup:

ck8go
August 11th, 2012, 08:54 AM
I don't have anywhere to park my bike that will protect it from the weather, no trees, walls, or car ports... it's awful. When it stops raining I'll go uncover it and check out what's going on with it. I thought of getting a tarp but didn't know if I could figure a way to hold it in place. My bike is my transportation so while I'm at work I'll use the cheap cover I kind of need a better alternative for that also I don't have time to make a fort for my bike when it may or may not rain.
Spraying my current one is a good idea except it has a rip in it now... awesome. and some of the seems are coming apart I guess just because it's cheap. So either way I kinda need to buy another cover one for work and some kind of fix for home when it sits on it's own for longer periods of time.

thanks for all the tips and suggestions so far

should I let it dry before I start it or would it be better to start it and let it run after this rain? I don't have to go anywhere today but I was thinking about it and my bike is all I got

lgk
August 11th, 2012, 12:04 PM
should be ok to start it in the rain.

how long does the temp light stay on?

R1Chronicles
August 14th, 2012, 12:08 AM
http://www.thebikebarn.net/

cuong-nutz
August 14th, 2012, 01:11 AM
I would go with the tarp and bungee cord route. Cheap and effective.

ck8go
August 14th, 2012, 05:06 PM
http://www.thebikebarn.net/

The wind would blow that away plus I rent and I don't think they would like me anchoring something into the ground like that.. but thanx that's pretty nifty

ck8go
August 14th, 2012, 05:08 PM
should be ok to start it in the rain.

how long does the temp light stay on?

temp light only did this once after it had rained on and off for and few days and I didn't go anywhere so I never go to check on it or anything because the weather was crap. It was on and off for a few days it was on the first then on and off for the next two and then it went out and stayed out. checked everything seemed fine fans still came on. hasn't happened since and I'm glad it hasn't.

ck8go
August 14th, 2012, 05:10 PM
now I need an oem turn signal broke my right front. tried to replace it with a cheap one worked til it was mounted then it like shorted out and doesn't work had to unplug and put it back together because more rain was coming...=/ uggghuhgghuggg

cuong-nutz
August 14th, 2012, 05:15 PM
The wind would blow that away plus I rent and I don't think they would like me anchoring something into the ground like that.. but thanx that's pretty nifty

www.cycleshell.com

ck8go
August 14th, 2012, 05:17 PM
now I need an oem turn signal broke my right front. tried to replace it with a cheap one worked til it was mounted then it like shorted out and doesn't work had to unplug and put it back together because more rain was coming...=/ uggghuhgghuggg

cuong-nutz
August 14th, 2012, 05:35 PM

How is it broken? Can you superglue the pieces back together? My turn signal fell off somewhere on the highway and I just slapped on some led lights I had laying around and clear tape and electrical tape.....But I'm a guy and I can get away with...

I'm ghetto fabulous...
http://i2.photobucket.com/albums/y5/cuongnutz/Ninja%20250/49C5D1E5-C5D3-4D09-BD3A-754C37F9BE92-24453-00001B5647E1F399.jpg
http://i2.photobucket.com/albums/y5/cuongnutz/Ninja%20250/BF708316-BE09-4D3A-8F74-4F1197473111-24453-00001B564F0CE028.jpg

Either way, you're not going to be riding in the rain right now so you have some time to get it fixed.

ck8go
August 14th, 2012, 06:01 PM
www.cycleshell.com

that's pretty neat also don't have 400 dollars to throw down right now but it's pretty neat 70lbs is a lot for me to lug out to my parking space every time I come home tho...
may have to do the tarp and bungies or big bricks found a deluxe cover on walmart.com may have to try that I could always return it

ck8go
August 14th, 2012, 06:04 PM
How is it broken? Can you superglue the pieces back together? My turn signal fell off somewhere on the highway and I just slapped on some led lights I had laying around and clear tape and electrical tape.....But I'm a guy and I can get away with...

Either way, you're not going to be riding in the rain right now so you have some time to get it fixed.
so yeah the clear cover is broken the bulb came out without the metal part and the reflector behind is is broken and can't hold itself in the black casing...
tape would have worked the first time it was broken because the clear broke off the black and I super glued that and the stock to the mount if it was broken like that that would be great! but unfortunately I have terrible luck and its just useless

cuong-nutz
August 14th, 2012, 06:05 PM
There's another cheaper version of the bike barn
http://www.bikerscave.com/speedway-shelters.html

You don't necessarily have to lug it around. Just leave it there LOL. Just think of it as designated parking :D

I have never looked at the wal-mart covers. Is the deluxe version waterproof/repelling?

ck8go
August 14th, 2012, 06:24 PM
There's another cheaper version of the bike barn
http://www.bikerscave.com/speedway-shelters.html

You don't necessarily have to lug it around. Just leave it there LOL. Just think of it as designated parking :D

I have never looked at the wal-mart covers. Is the deluxe version waterproof/repelling?

if someone took it I would have a *itchfit! I only park in one spot all the time so my kickstand is on concrete cuz it kept melting into the blacktop..

then again people around here can't even pick up their own dogs .. poo. I saw a lady the other day her dog took a dump and she took some mulch from the landscaping and covered it up.. I was like wooowww really? that's worse then just leaving it there. haha

cuong-nutz
August 14th, 2012, 06:32 PM
if someone took it I would have a *itchfit! I only park in one spot all the time so my kickstand is on concrete cuz it kept melting into the blacktop..

then again people around here can't even pick up their own dogs .. poo. I saw a lady the other day her dog took a dump and she took some mulch from the landscaping and covered it up.. I was like wooowww really? that's worse then just leaving it there. haha

Good point. I have the same issues with dog owners. I just pick up the poop and throw it on the sidewalk so they can step on it. That way I can share the joy of walking on dog ****.