View Full Version : How scratched up is your visor.

Stingray1000
August 13th, 2012, 03:29 PM
When does everyone get theirs replaced?
http://www.ninjette.org/forums/attachment.php?attachmentid=20273&d=1344897042

austexjg
August 13th, 2012, 04:35 PM
Clear one has a couple minor scuffmarks - the mirrored gold one had none because I clean it as if it were a bomb triggered by scratches.

fatestkid
August 13th, 2012, 04:53 PM
What do you clean it with? Is there any repair solution out there like they have for LCDs
Posted via Mobile Device

7oxSin
August 13th, 2012, 05:12 PM
no scratches on my clear and tinted, i take good care of them and keep my helmet in its bag when its not in use.

RyderRider15
August 13th, 2012, 07:44 PM
The mirror visor I have for my EXO400 is basically destroyed. Other than that one they're all clean.

cuong-nutz
August 13th, 2012, 08:19 PM
Mine visors are all scratched to hell from scrapes, wiping, rocks, tree branches, flying bolts etc but I can still see out of them. Never use paper towels to wipe. use a microfiber cloth so it doesn't leave swirls.

You can buy over the counter plastic polish similar to Honda polish.

geeker
August 22nd, 2012, 04:42 AM
I have had trouble cleaning the inside of my exo 700 face shields lately with just water as the instructions suggest. I used a a foaming aerosol cleaner on the outside of the shield and helmet and a microfiber towel to remove the bugs, etc. Afterwards, I used pledge and a separate microfiber towel on the visor, inside and out, and the helmet. On the last weekend's ride, the face shield was crystal clear and water beaded off the shield. Bugs were easier to clean off as well. And from what I can tell, the antifog coating still works fine.

Bob2010
August 22nd, 2012, 05:54 AM
My exo400 ever-clear shield seems tacky on the inside when I tried to clean it a microfiber and water. Then I tried some spray detailer. Same thing. Not sure if thats because it's an ever-clear treated shield.
But yes. The outside gets nailed with bugs after the sun sets

geeker
August 22nd, 2012, 06:29 AM
My exo400 ever-clear shield seems tacky on the inside when I tried to clean it a microfiber and water. Then I tried some spray detailer. Same thing. Not sure if thats because it's an ever-clear treated shield.

Pledge made the inside easy to buff off. Ever clear is definitely tacky and Har to clean otherwise.

erbarry88
August 22nd, 2012, 12:16 PM
No scratches on my Bell Vortex as of yet. It also feels tacky on the inside when cleaned with the cloth it came with even with water. I now use hand soap and a soft sponge and works great.

gwilo
August 29th, 2012, 12:12 PM
Use a micro fiber cloth for glass not your standard plush type, it will work better.

http://www.eshine.ca/the_thief_glass_towel-454.php

I also use distilled water in a spray bottle to clean my helmets after every ride.

Why distilled water, easy it is in a spray bottle in the garage next to my bike, so it is handy. (Use it to cut down products for detailing my cars).

Also there is no chemicals in distilled water to affect the coating on the lenses.

iplante
August 29th, 2012, 03:32 PM
Not scratched at all, just got a new helmet today!

Bell Revolver Evo .. dang that thing is loud compared to my HJC CL-16 (which has a very scratched visor, it's my 3rd one I think?).. but I really wanted the drop down visor and it was the cheapest option.

dirty nasty
August 29th, 2012, 05:04 PM
My HJC CL-16 has been dropped so many times. It is a beat to hell pile of crap.

I've taken much better care of my AGV K-3. No drops, always in the bag, only minor road debris chips on the shield.

Old Lemon
August 30th, 2012, 06:44 PM
my visor wasnt scratched until today. went to the gas station and a lady comes over and asks if i could help her check her oil. I said ok and put my helmet on my mirror and i come back and its on the ground and i have 3 small scratches on the top of the visor :mad: thats what i get for helping a cager

I clean mine with just hot water and some foam soap we have and i just wipe it around with my hand, works great

Bassman
August 30th, 2012, 07:58 PM
I just use Plexus on my visor, works fine on all the eagles, condors, and other giant bird like bugs that snap my head back as they hit my visor.

seanshawnS
August 30th, 2012, 08:24 PM
I just use Plexus on my visor, works fine on all the eagles, condors, and other giant bird like bugs that snap my head back as they hit my visor.

That stuff stained my visor though:mad:

speaking of bugs.. how many have you swallowed or snorted? I think I ate 3 last night.

iplante
August 31st, 2012, 10:59 AM
that's why you ride with your visor down! ;)

dirty nasty
September 1st, 2012, 09:26 AM
my visor wasnt scratched until today. went to the gas station and a lady comes over and asks if i could help her check her oil. I said ok and put my helmet on my mirror and i come back and its on the ground and i have 3 small scratches on the top of the visor :mad: thats what i get for helping a cager

I clean mine with just hot water and some foam soap we have and i just wipe it around with my hand, works great

You really put the helmet on your mirror? No, that's not because you helped someone, that's because you didn't turn your brain on lol. Mirror=not a solid attachment point.

Jono
September 1st, 2012, 07:42 PM
My mirrored visor recently got a large scratch on it. I guess from a rock flying up and hitting it. I don't really know when it happened. But it is right in my field of vision and it annoys me. Will probably get a new tinted visor to replace it. For now I just wear sunglasses with my clear visor. I kinda like it.

leed
September 2nd, 2012, 11:21 AM

That's usually because of the anti-fog coating on the inside.

As for my visors.. My smoke visor has quite a few nicks from trailing behind people fresh on the track (throwing up whatever grit their tires picked up at 100 MPH + my moving speed). Probably doesn't help that I don't have a windscreen either. My clear visor for around town is fairly unscathed.

lolibater
September 11th, 2012, 10:14 PM
Is there anything you guys recommend for getting the light scratches out? Some kind of polish or restoration liquid of some sort? *shrugs*

Gurk
September 12th, 2012, 12:05 AM
Mine's pretty f'ed up from my crash back in April.
I don't care though I can still see out clearly so meh :)

Old Lemon
October 3rd, 2012, 01:01 PM
QQ :( :mad: i had to merge behind a big like dirt transport truck today and got slapped by a handful of rocks got like 5 scratches on my shield now :mad:

Alienjoe
October 3rd, 2012, 04:55 PM
I put a new mirrored visor on my HJC CS-12. The clear one it replaced has some scratches though. My Zero9 Black Ops carbon fiber helmet has no scratches. Always baby it and keep it in its bag.

Apex
October 3rd, 2012, 05:27 PM
I was always picky about my visor. If I had a nick in my line of sight, I replaced it. Even if it is just a minor one. I viewed the whole thing like this: "If it distracts me, it has to go".

So if I am constantly annoyed by a scratch in my line of sight, I replace it. Same goes for my sunglasses. That is why I like Oakley Jawbones so much. If I get a scratch, I keep my frames, just swap out the lenses. :)

Dragonracer76
October 9th, 2012, 06:14 PM
Just a few scratches.. hehe21315