View Full Version : RPM's for distance

grandmaster
December 24th, 2008, 09:37 PM
Don't know if this is the right place to post the thread, but feel free to move it if needed.

I asked this question over at KF and didn't really get a straight forward answer...sorry if its kind of a dumb question.

Well I live in St. George but my family lives in Salt Lake...I plan on riding my bike back and forth a few times over the summer. So my question is, is it bad to be in a high RPM range for that distance (about 300 miles, 3.5 to 4 hours or so) I plan on going about 80 or 85 for the distance....

Thanks in advance.

k-os
December 24th, 2008, 09:46 PM
Once it's broken in it should be fine.

grandmaster
December 24th, 2008, 10:04 PM
It has 3400 miles on it, so it is broken in. But your saying it should be fine to go 2 hours, break, and then another 2 hours? I think at 75-80 its at about 8-9 rpms...?

Alex
December 24th, 2008, 10:13 PM
You could do it for 24 hrs straight, and people have done even that 11 days straight. Check oil level before you leave, and after a bunch of high-speed miles it couldn't hurt to check oil level afterwards. The ninjette can burn a little bit of oil if it's pulling close to max revs for an extended period, but it's nothing to worry about. You'll get tired before the bike will, don't worry. :)

Enjoy the ride, and maybe you can even find some fun roads in between to break the freeway monotony...

grandmaster
December 24th, 2008, 10:26 PM
Good to know, good to know. Thanks a lot for a straight forward answer, that is what I was looking for. I am changing the oil sometime within the next few weeks and I am switching to full synthetic, Got any recommendations on brand? Guess I wont have any problems with it overheating as long as my coolant level is good and keep an eye on the temp light. Yeah there is zions canyon in cedar that I plan to ride, and then big and little cottonwood that I will ride here when I get to salt lake.

Alex
December 24th, 2008, 10:34 PM
Nice! I've heard Zions is a great place to ride. For oil, it's really up to you and there aren't any bad choices, just change it as often as Kawi recommends (or more often), and you'll be fine. I wouldn't worry about overheating or any other mechanical malady, just check your bike before you set off for the basics: major bolts tight, tire pressure fine, oil level fine, chain clean and lubed, and enjoy the ride.

grandmaster
December 24th, 2008, 10:40 PM
Sweet thanks for the information. And can I say I have really enjoyed this cite, much easier to navigate then others. Appreciate all the things I have learned from here, thanks again to Kkim also.

kkim
December 25th, 2008, 01:20 AM
You are certainly welcome, but all I did was invite you. :) It's the good folks here that make this place what it is.

For such distances at a time, you might consider regearing to make the journey a bit more comfortable. A 15T front sprocket is a good start.

As far as oil, I use a full synthetic Rotella T 5w-40 that you can find at walmart. A gallon is something like $15-20.