View Full Version : How will you bring in the '09?

M-Oorb
December 25th, 2008, 09:26 PM
The the holiday season is half over :(. One down one to go. Everyone on this forum is from all over and just interested in what everyones doing to bring in the new year...

I personally am going to Times Square to party it in. Got a hotel in the city(mom works for Marriot so I got a sweet deal on one about a 3 min walk away from the ball:thumbup:)...and am going with my girlfriend and 5 of my friends. What I've been told is this is something you must do once in your life...but after that you wont wanna do it again haha.

So how bout you?...

Alex
December 25th, 2008, 10:07 PM
When we lived back east we did the new york city new years thing a few times. We did go to Times Square once, and as you say, it is something you should do once. But you likely won't do it a second time. :D We had more fun in NYC going to a bar/restaurant that has one of those "pay one fee", all you can eat, all you can drink type parties and spent the evening there before making our way back to a hotel. One year we managed to get 9 people into a hotel room built for 2; at least I wasn't the poor sap that had to sleep in the bathtub.

We've been in Vegas for some new years, including Y2K, and that was a pretty fun place to be.

Now that we're old farts, I don't know what our plans are to ring in 2009. But we do have a live-in babysitter for a week or two while my mother is in town, so perhaps Ann and I can find something non-old-fartish for the evening. :thumbup:

zartan
December 26th, 2008, 02:15 AM
New years eve is our 21'st wedding anniversary.!

M-Oorb
December 26th, 2008, 08:40 AM
Congrats!!

M-Oorb
December 26th, 2008, 08:44 AM
When we lived back east we did the new york city new years thing a few times. We did go to Times Square once, and as you say, it is something you should do once. But you likely won't do it a second time. :D

Im sure you guys could still find something to do thats funn...your only as old as how hard you party:thumbup:.

Question though about time square. I've been doing a lot of research about this and I dont know how long ago you did this....but what did you do about food and the bathroom? I saw on their website you cant bring bags in and there wont be any food vendors or portable bathrooms. So if i wanna get there early to get a good spot....I'm afraid ill either starve to death or pee my pants...neither would be good. So what did you do about this?

Hope my quoting skills were good for you alex:thumbup:

Alex
December 26th, 2008, 08:49 AM
I don't think security was as tight when we were there as what you're describing, but you hit on the major points of annoyance. Most businesses nearby are shut down tight, so there may not be any really any convenient facilities (food, restroom, or other) once you're in Times Square. It likely helps to be pre-drunk, pre-fed, and pre-peed before you set up shop there. :thumbup:

Alex
December 26th, 2008, 08:51 AM

Congrats Zartan! Was it a challenge getting friends and family together for a new years eve wedding?

Kurosaki
December 26th, 2008, 10:48 AM
New year? I'll probably be sitting on my butt or already asleep.

g21-30
December 26th, 2008, 12:10 PM
Congrats Zartan.

zartan
December 26th, 2008, 01:03 PM
Congrats Zartan! Was it a challenge getting friends and family together for a new years eve wedding?

only had a couple of friends for witnesses and they were late. ahhhh, friends....
Went to the courthouse, Judge was grumpy . We made him late for lunch.

it was kinda funny :) No big crazy hassel wedding! Just a grumpy Judge.
Judge Grumby Butt was his name I think !!:D

Times square sounds crazy fun.

M-Oorb
December 26th, 2008, 03:38 PM
I hope so thats def. the plan haha. And getting pre drunk is definitely a must if I'll be standing for hours on end haha.

Sailariel
December 27th, 2008, 05:03 PM
We will probably stay home and boil up some lobster. We will also have some snacks, watch the ball drop in Times Square at midnight, drink some Champaigne, and hope that next year will be better than this year.

g21-30
December 27th, 2008, 05:14 PM
We will probably stay home and boil up some lobster. We will also have some snacks, watch the ball drop in Times Square at midnight, drink some Champaigne, and hope that next year will be better than this year.

Maine lobster! I envy you. I miss the Gulf Coast. Shrimp was so plentiful. Crawdads would work, as well!

Happy New Year:thumbup:

NICUNinja
December 29th, 2008, 05:54 PM
My kids are either going to friends or having friends over. (My husband is so excited) And I will be in the NICU looking after the little ones, or on admissions going to deliveries if there are any. Just another work night for me.

NJD022588
December 31st, 2008, 02:19 PM
I'm having lobster, shrimp, and crab dip tonight. Mmmm....

..then off to celebrating! :bartend2:

kkim
December 31st, 2008, 02:29 PM
I will spend it quietly at home with the GF. At midnight, we plan to set off some fireworks at the 4 corners of the house as it's an old oriental tradition (hers, not mine) that doing so will ward off evils spirits from your dwelling in the coming year. Hope it works... I have a neighbor I would love to get rid of. :p

Will sip a few brews and eat way too much food, but at least we will be safe at home and not on the road.

I've learned long ago that the holidays are the worst time to be on the roads with everybody partying and drinking then driving home. :eek:

Be safe everyone... and have a Happy New Year!! :party:

NJD022588
December 31st, 2008, 02:45 PM
Will sip a few brews and eat way too much food, but at least we will be safe at home and not on the road.

I've learned long ago that the holidays are the worst time to be on the roads with everybody partying and drinking then driving home. :eek:

Good idea. I plan to get where I'm going by 8 and not leave until the morning.

There's been alot of radio advertisements here from the police saying they will have many drunk driving checkpoints set up. Hopefully that will encourage people to use safer methods to get home.

OldGuy
December 31st, 2008, 03:33 PM
Crawdad Billy's Sea Food Shack for an early dinner with the wife, catch the new Will Smith movie Seven Pounds movie, and then go home and try to stay awake to the magic hour :drinkpals: but, it will most likely end up :sleep::sleep:

Everyone have a great new year and ride safe in 2009.

BlueTyke
December 31st, 2008, 03:48 PM
Sit on my bum and twiddle my thumbs...

G250RSC
December 31st, 2008, 08:46 PM
Let's see..just put our newborn twin boys to bed.....I think I will sleep while I have a chance.

Alex
December 31st, 2008, 09:37 PM
We're going to try and keep our 15-mo old up til the new year. He's only got a couple hours to go, and he's still going strong... :thumbup:

kkim
December 31st, 2008, 09:39 PM
lol... Give him some chocolate candy and watch him zip around the room! :D

BlackKarma
December 31st, 2008, 10:18 PM

Congrat Dude...THAT's a rarity these days!:eek: Me and the wife will be celb our 20th come spring....:thumbup:

Feel's like the 40th! :D

BlackKarma
December 31st, 2008, 10:23 PM
We just had some of those potato skins with the cheese on'em from Fridays.Watched the ball drop....kinda reminds me of the stock market this last year...:D And by the way I Hate the Jonas Brothers!:eek:

Did my rear fender job today,may have pics tommorrow.It's going to be 17dg tonight so I may be slow getting out in the garage in the morning.

Alex
December 31st, 2008, 10:32 PM
lol... Give him some chocolate candy and watch him zip around the room! :D

We've got him watching Barney DVD's and online Barney videos. It's worse than chocolate. Barney is like baby crack. :D