View Full Version : So im getting my wisdom teeth pulled tomorrow morning...

aloh
December 25th, 2008, 11:52 PM
Its EXACTLY what i wanted for christmas!!! :rolleyes:

Well...at least i got to eat christmas dinner before this.

NJD022588
December 26th, 2008, 12:01 AM
Just got mine out on monday.. and monday sucked! The first day is pretty bad but I was back to eating normal food on tuesday afternoon/night. Lots of meds to take and I only needed the pain killers on the first day. I almost feel completely back to normal now, but i just have to be careful. I'm pretty sure all my stitches have already dissolved/fallen out.

I had never had any general anesthesia before and what a weird experience that was!

zartan
December 26th, 2008, 02:24 AM
I hope it goes well for you!
here is a tip. My husband got his out some years ago

Buy or make 10 small packs of frozen peas because if they are getting down and dirty and extracting those wisdom teeth, you will want to ice and it will be handy to have the rotating ice( pea packs. ) buy the cheapest, Maybe a big bag and zip locks. When you are done icing a day or two toss after thawing out and refreezing over and over they will not be the good to eat.
Oh and never put the freezing bags directly on your skin. Use a tea towel.
My friend burnt the heck out of his heel last summer icing it directly and spacing out reading.

I on the other hand was born without ANY in my jaw or out. Just not there and never formed. Evolutionarily superior I guess? HAHA!

aloh
December 26th, 2008, 02:29 AM
Just got mine out on monday.. and monday sucked! The first day is pretty bad but I was back to eating normal food on tuesday afternoon/night. Lots of meds to take and I only needed the pain killers on the first day. I almost feel completely back to normal now, but i just have to be careful. I'm pretty sure all my stitches have already dissolved/fallen out.

I had never had any general anesthesia before and what a weird experience that was!

Wow seems like you healed up pretty quick. I hope I'm as lucky.

I hope it goes well for you!
here is a tip. My husband got his out some years ago

Buy or make 10 small packs of frozen peas because if they are getting down and dirty and extracting those wisdom teeth, you will want to ice and it will be handy to have the rotating ice( pea packs. ) buy the cheapest, Maybe a big bag and zip locks. When you are done icing a day or two toss after thawing out and refreezing over and over they will not be the good to eat.
Oh and never put the freezing bags directly on your skin. Use a tea towel.
My friend burnt the heck out of his heel last summer icing it directly and spacing out reading.

I on the other hand was born without ANY in my jaw or out. Just not there and never formed. Evolutionarily superior I guess? HAHA!

Ive got ice packs already in the freezer ready to go... I envy your lack of wisdom teeth.

zartan
December 26th, 2008, 04:11 AM
Ive got ice packs already in the freezer ready to go... I envy your lack of wisdom teeth.

You're probably a better rider then me, so it's all fair :D
Take care tomorrow!! I hope you heal quickly

M-Oorb
December 26th, 2008, 08:40 AM
Well depending on how bad they are impacted in is really what decides what kind of experience you will have. I got mine removed about 3 years ago and they were all starting to stick up, so they weren't impacted that bad. Got a couple shots of Novocain and some laughing gas put on the ipod and before I knew it it was over. Gave me a prescription for vicaden but after the first day I didn't even need to take them. Didn't hurt at all after the first day just had to be careful with the stitches and sometimes it would bleed a little...that first day it was gushing a lot:rolleyes:. But if your lucky and they aren't impacted and the roots aren't wrapped around other teeth...you may have a pretty painless experience. Either way have plenty of ice pops on hand and good luck!

kkim
December 26th, 2008, 11:25 AM
Look on the bright side... you could need them out, but not have the money or insurance to cover it.

Have fun... I know the meds are awesome and the procedure, if not a complicated case, is worlds better than years ago.

Hope to see you on the board as you recover.

NJD022588
December 26th, 2008, 12:58 PM
I asked the doctor whether impacted teeth where better (painless and easier to heal on my side) than teeth that are showing/completely out of the skin and he said yes. If the teeth are impacted, he can literally just cut open the skin, take out the tooth, and sew it up rather than leaving a hole to heal. But.. I only had one that was impacted. The three others we almost all the way out but really crowding my mouth.

My mouth was done bleeding only about 4-5 hours after and I havent needed to use any ice. I think that may be because I'm on steroids for a week. For me, this experience has been about 10x better than everyone said it would be.

Hope yours goes as smoothly!

HKr1
December 26th, 2008, 04:41 PM
NAVY yanks them in boot camp :)

aloh
December 26th, 2008, 08:17 PM
Okay its been about 7 hours since I finished my procedure and all i can say is: OWWWW.

My painkillers dont seem to be working very well... :mad: The best pain killer ive found so far is sleep. I cant wait till i get to eat some real food...

noche_caliente
December 26th, 2008, 08:34 PM
I'm so sorry Alex - i remember being absolutely miserable with mine, and to make it worse, I came down with tonsillitis and some mono-like virus while recovering! This was when I already had my left hand in a cast because of ligament damage on my thumb, and I was a few hundred miles away from home on a school trip in the days following - wishing I was dead! Thankfully one of the parent chaperons was a doc and took great care of me!

Sailariel
December 26th, 2008, 08:40 PM
RUM, Lots of Rum is the answer.

Alex
December 26th, 2008, 08:43 PM
When isn't lots of rum the answer? It's truly an all-purpose solution for many ills... :waitress:

zartan
December 27th, 2008, 12:26 AM
Sorry it hurts Aloh I hope you get better soon, Sleep will help for sure.:(

BlueTyke
December 28th, 2008, 06:30 PM
If it makes you feel better I got one side (upper and lower) pulled, went to Science camp the following monday was there for a week, then came back and got the other side pulled...

down side? Had to do it twice.. Bright side? Both times I still got to eat solid food :)

aloh
December 28th, 2008, 06:50 PM
If it makes you feel better I got one side (upper and lower) pulled, went to Science camp the following monday was there for a week, then came back and got the other side pulled...

down side? Had to do it twice.. Bright side? Both times I still got to eat solid food :)

augh. I just had some instant noodles made extra soggy... I have found that food is not as enjoyable without chewing.

I cant wait till i can tear into a nice sammich or something!

Alex
December 28th, 2008, 06:51 PM
If it makes you feel better I got one side (upper and lower) pulled, went to Science camp the following monday..

So which was worse, having your wisdom teeth pulled or science camp? :D

BlueTyke
December 28th, 2008, 06:55 PM
So which was worse, having your wisdom teeth pulled or science camp? :D

LOL Welll... A bit of both... I choose to go up to camp because I liked going to Walden West but alas I believe that was my last year doing it.

BlueTyke
December 28th, 2008, 06:55 PM
augh. I just had some instant noodles made extra soggy... I have found that food is not as enjoyable without chewing.

I cant wait till i can tear into a nice sammich or something!

Jello and Ice Cream were always my best... Your lucky it is winter too because during the summer eating soup just plain sucks.

Kevin2109
January 4th, 2012, 01:26 PM
So reviving a old thread

I'm getting all 4 of mine pulled tomorrow

How long were you guys out of commission for riding?

Jiggles
January 4th, 2012, 01:34 PM
So reviving a old thread

I'm getting all 4 of mine pulled tomorrow

How long were you guys out of commission for riding?

About 2 days on the couch all drugged up! I got a liquid painkiller instead of vicodin and it tasted like gatorade, didnt feel a thing and tasted good :thumbup:

Also, are you sure you need to have them pulled? There's apparently alot of **** that can go wrong with the surgery.

Kevin2109
January 4th, 2012, 01:39 PM
About 2 days on the couch all drugged up! I got a liquid painkiller instead of vicodin and it tasted like gatorade, didnt feel a thing and tasted good :thumbup:

Also, are you sure you need to have them pulled? There's apparently alot of **** that can go wrong with the surgery.

Yeah, Im in pain right now, so I might as well. And I'm going to a reputable place so I hope all goes well :o

Dont scare me more!! :(:o:eek:

kyrider
January 4th, 2012, 02:44 PM
I have never been in as much pain as I was with an impacted wisdom tooth. I was advised to have it taken out before it gave me trouble and I did not listen. I honestly thought about cutting the damn thing out myself.

Kevin2109
January 4th, 2012, 02:54 PM
I have never been in as much pain as I was with an impacted wisdom tooth. I was advised to have it taken out before it gave me trouble and I did not listen. I honestly thought about cutting the damn thing out myself.

Thats why I'm getting it done with now, I dont want to deal with any complications later :eek: