View Full Version : [topix.net] - Driver, 81, acquitted of negligent homicide

Ninjette Newsbot
December 26th, 2008, 09:20 AM
An 81-year-old Kaua'i man has been found not guilty of negligent homicide, more than a year after a motorcyclist collided with his station wagon and died.

Click here for full story... (http://www.topix.net/motorcycles/2008/12/driver-81-acquitted-of-negligent-homicide?fromrss=1)

An 81-year-old Kaua'i man has been found not guilty of negligent homicide, more than a year after a motorcyclist collided with his station wagon and died. Defense attorney Al Castillo said a jury acquitted Louis Parraga Jr. after about an hour of deliberations.

A county incident report shows that 20-year-old Stetson Furtado died Sept. 14, 2007 when his Suzuki motorcycle collided with Parraga's Dodge station wagon as it slowly merged onto Kaumuali'i Highway.

Furtado slid across the highway and onto the eastbound shoulder. Castillo said Furtado was speeding. Parraga was found not guilty Dec. 18. He was facing up to five years' imprisonment if he had been convicted.

Alex
December 26th, 2008, 05:37 PM
Kkim -

What has been the Kauai public's view of this case? Mostly in favor of the driver or the motorcyclist?

kkim
December 26th, 2008, 06:32 PM
sorry... can't say. this is the first I've heard about it. :confused20:

Alex
December 26th, 2008, 07:32 PM
My apologies; I have this silly (and incorrect) assumption that Hawaii is small enough that everyone must know each other. But after finding out we live in California, more than once people have asked something along the lines of "Do you know _insert name here_?" with a genuine expectation that we must be buds. :)

kkim
December 26th, 2008, 07:41 PM
No, you're correct on that assumption... especially on Kauai. pop. est 60,000.

I don't keep up with local events. :o

NJD022588
December 27th, 2008, 01:23 AM
I really expected it to be more dense than that. I dont consider my county to be that dense, but we have about 800 people/sq mi. I looked it up and Kauai has about 100 people/sq mi.