View Full Version : Anyone here wear your leathers over your boots?

Goom
August 20th, 2012, 08:44 AM
I was just reading the article "Aero by Numbers" in the September issue of Motorcyclist, and they mention the fact that Valentino Rossi wears his leathers over his boots to be more aerodynamic. I had never even paid attention to that, but seeing this makes me wonder why this isn't a common practice.

What do you guys think?

Aufitt
August 20th, 2012, 08:46 AM
Meh.. I wear my underpants outside my leathers.

Old Lemon
August 20th, 2012, 09:05 AM
i think doing that for performance is dumb. i dont see how that would help at all

rawbert625
August 20th, 2012, 09:14 AM
I think the difference will be minuscule, but who knows.

choneofakind
August 20th, 2012, 09:20 AM
Meh.. I wear my underpants outside my leathers.

1 wear underpants outside leathers

2 win races due to aerodynamic advantage

3 profit!!

:rotflmao:

dino74
August 20th, 2012, 09:25 AM
I used to put the leathers inside of the boot. One trackday, I didn't take off my boots for the whole day and lost feeling in my left foot for two months.

Now, I where them on the outside and I its so much more comfortable.

But remember, not all suits can easily fit over the boots. Dainese's make it easy with the second zipper

http://img205.imageshack.us/img205/163/201205maymay052012socal.jpg

Cazper
August 20th, 2012, 10:01 AM
I don't have boots or riding leathers... but on my jacket I put my gauntlet style gloves under my leather jacket. I tried it the other way like most people ride and it felt uncomfortable to me :noidea:

ai4px
August 20th, 2012, 10:58 AM
I don't have boots or riding leathers... but on my jacket I put my gauntlet style gloves under my leather jacket. I tried it the other way like most people ride and it felt uncomfortable to me :noidea:

In winter, I put gauntlet gloves over my jacket sleeves to keep the cold air out. In summer...err in the rain.... I wear the gloves inside the jacket.

My first time in the rain, the textile jacket sleeves saturated with water and due to the downward angle of my arms, the water ran inside the gloves and pooled in my thumbs... so now I tuck the gloves inside the jacket in the rain.

Nemesis
August 20th, 2012, 11:10 AM
I used to put the leathers inside of the boot. One trackday, I didn't take off my boots for the whole day and lost feeling in my left foot for two months.

Now, I where them on the outside and I its so much more comfortable.

But remember, not all suits can easily fit over the boots. Dainese's make it easy with the second zipper

The Dainese suits were designed (double calf zippers) to have the lower leg/calf portion worn on the outside with their boots...not so much other brand boots. Not to say you can't make it work like Dino did but with the Dainese "In" boots it fits and feels 10x better than worn on the inside.

It feels like you're riding with tennis shoes. It's really that comfortable. I won't wear any other boots with my Dainese suits unless the suit itself is a different brand.

sharky nrk
August 20th, 2012, 11:59 AM
Yeah, my boots don't fit on the inside of my leathers - so only the one option for me lol

toua70
August 20th, 2012, 01:29 PM
Yeah, my boots don't fit on the inside of my leathers - so only the one option for me lol

same here. I wear them over my boots simply because my boots won't zip all the way if i tuck them in :o

csmith12
August 20th, 2012, 01:34 PM

I know that feeling, it sucks. Sometimes I would rather have a dull pain than a constant long term numbness. The top of my right shoulder permanently numb. :mad:

leed
August 20th, 2012, 01:44 PM
Scorpion is another company I've seen design their leathers to be worn outside the boot. When it comes to Dainese, they also design their boots to be worn inside the leather, as well as the leathers to be worn outside the boots, so it's not really feasible if you don't have one, the other, or both of their items.

As for aerodynamic advantage... I'm not so sure. A boot can be designed to be more aerodynamic much easier than a pant can, though that's not to say it can't be done. Even still, I'm not so sure that it would give even a MotoGP rider any notable advantage, otherwise everyone would be doing it since it's not a costly change either.

NevadaWolf
August 20th, 2012, 02:04 PM
Between the small size of my Sidi boots and Joe Rocket gloves, my Teknic leathers won't fit on the inside. So I have to wear my leathers over both gloves and boots. I tried once but couldn't get anything to fit comfortably.

Feels comfortable to me enough to wear all day easily, though I am too new to notice any performance difference on the track.

ForceofWill
August 21st, 2012, 10:34 AM
I wear mine under my pants but they're made for it. Dainese "in" boots and their pants.

Goom
August 21st, 2012, 04:46 PM
Thanks for the feedback guys. I mostly just asked to see what your opinions are.

Personally, I don't have track gear ATM, but I could see some benefit to leathers that go over boots. I'm sure it's nothing major, but it is a fact that it reduces drag. For the typical weekend warrior, I don't see any need, but I could see MotoGP guys looking for every little advantage they can get.

ForceofWill
August 21st, 2012, 07:32 PM
Thanks for the feedback guys. I mostly just asked to see what your opinions are.

Personally, I don't have track gear ATM, but I could see some benefit to leathers that go over boots. I'm sure it's nothing major, but it is a fact that it reduces drag. For the typical weekend warrior, I don't see any need, but I could see MotoGP guys looking for every little advantage they can get.

"In" style boots would probably work better for you too. If you want to wear more casual riding pants or riding jeans, the boots go right under the pants for a normal casual look but you still get the full length protection.