View Full Version : Intuitive sliders

NICUNinja
December 28th, 2008, 04:31 PM
I have a set of Intuitive sliders that I am going to put on as soon as I get the chance and I have a couple of questions.
1) Should I use lock tight when putting these on?
2) What is the factory specs when I torque them?
Any advice would be welcomed. :)

noche_caliente
December 28th, 2008, 05:06 PM
Loctite wouldn't hurt - I used the blue with mine.

As for torque specs, there aren't any - I just tightened them down good and tight and used the loctite - I used the specs for the engine mounting bolts, but not the slider itself....

NICUNinja
December 29th, 2008, 05:36 PM
Thanks for the input. kelly sent me another site with photo step-by-step. I noticed that the coolant and hose had to be removed. Is there anyway around this?

GreezMunky
December 29th, 2008, 05:44 PM
Thanks for the input. kelly sent me another site with photo step-by-step. I noticed that the coolant and hose had to be removed. Is there anyway around this?

When I installed mine the hose wasn't in the way enough to justify removing it. Just had to nudge mine out of the way and everything fit fine. Have you taken off your fairing and looked at what you're going to be working with?

NICUNinja
December 29th, 2008, 06:05 PM
That is good news maybe with the '09 it is positioned better. I haven't taken the fairing off yet but when we were looking for the bolts there didn't seem to be any issue. How was the alignment when you were replacing the slider bolt with what is already insitu? Any issues?

Did you have to take the front seat off to disconnect the front signals?

noche_caliente
December 29th, 2008, 07:02 PM
mine is an 08 and I didn't have to remove the coolant hose, if you read further down in that thread, you'll see most folks didn't have to remove the hose, they could just bend it out of the way...
as for the signals, no - seat can stay put - just the fairings that need to come off
speaking of, if you haven't seen it, here's a post to help you keep track of the screws: http://www.ninjette.org/forums/showthread.php?t=9814

NICUNinja
December 29th, 2008, 08:33 PM
Got the fairing off, light unplugged right there no need for seat removal. Great pic for keeping track of the screws. (You never know when the kids will try to help.:eek:) I hope to get at the rest of it tomorrow before I start my string of night shifts. Thanks for your help. I'll keep you posted. :thumbup:

kkim
December 29th, 2008, 08:44 PM
Take pictures... lots and lots of pictures. That way, if you forget something, you always have a reference to work from. Plus, you can do a DIY later for this site on how to do this. :)

NICUNinja
December 29th, 2008, 08:50 PM
I'll get the camera out. Well maybe I'll let the kids do the photos that way the hubby can't say I was playing Foreman again. :D

kkim
December 29th, 2008, 08:57 PM
I'll get the camera out. Well maybe I'll let the kids do the photos that way the hubby can't say I was playing Foreman again. :D

:lol: get that a lot, do you? who's doing the install, you or hubby?

NICUNinja
December 29th, 2008, 09:02 PM
I'd say I am, but seeing as he's sitting right here and I don't think I could even break the nut that needs to come off to start this mod ...He is. :D
But I'll be a good Supervisor, or so he says :thumbup:

NICUNinja
January 8th, 2009, 08:04 PM
Sliders are on, what a pain ... The bolt through the engine was the easiest part, it was the adjusting the position to line up through the fairing that caused a lot of grief.

GreezMunky
January 8th, 2009, 08:06 PM
it was the adjusting the position to line up through the fairing that caused a lot of grief.

+100 when I did mine too lol

kkim
January 8th, 2009, 08:31 PM
Wha happened to the pictures? :confused:

NICUNinja
January 10th, 2009, 01:37 AM
Working nights at the moment ... that and my tank protector came and want to get it on first. :) I'll work on it.

TnNinjaGirl
January 10th, 2009, 06:59 AM
I ordered some of those things. Said they'd be in early next week. Luckily it's not supposed to get much above freezing next week. Or maybe not so lucky. I'm hoping they aren't a pain to put on, or at least worth it in the end. But, in order for them to be worth it i'd have to drop my bike, right? Crap...

GreezMunky
January 10th, 2009, 08:47 AM
that and my tank protector came and want to get it on first. :)

Oooo, what kind? I've been on the fence about getting one, haven't found one that I really liked yet.

NICUNinja
January 11th, 2009, 03:30 AM
I bought a Harris puzzle tank pad, you can arrange it using the 3 pieces or just 2. There are many configurations. Also comes it different colours.

TnNinjaGirl
January 13th, 2009, 06:07 PM
Hey guys. I just picked up some of those Intuitive sliders. I'm very disappointed in them. I haven't put them on and I'm thinking about taking them back. I'm not sure what I was expecting for ~$100 but I'm not a happy camper. They look like little tooth picks with soda cans taped to the ends. Are these things going to hold my bike up if I go down? For everyone that has them, are they really worth it? I'm so disappointed...

KJohnson21
January 13th, 2009, 06:17 PM
For everyone that has them, are they really worth it?

My wife and I have them for parking lot tip-over protection if nothing else.

Here's the debate regarding their worth: http://www.ninjette.org/forums/showthread.php?t=10726

The only person that I can think of that might have gone down with them is CaliGirl. I don't know if she's mentioned whether they helped or anything. CG, are you listening? :D

Broom
January 14th, 2009, 12:43 PM
i don't think anyone is real impressed with the intuitive sliders. i put the shogun sliders on mine. they're sturdier at least.

http://www.ninjette.org/forums/showthread.php?t=11224

NICUNinja
January 14th, 2009, 03:57 PM
The Intuitive sliders were a pain to put on and position. The stud had to be adjusted at both ends, a definite 2 person job as it just keeps twisting otherwise. My husband put Vortex on his ZX14 and there is a huge difference, very sturdy product.

noche_caliente
January 15th, 2009, 06:53 PM
Cali went down long before she got the sliders, as did I. But we were both humbled enough to want to have them to offer any degree of protection at that point. Nothing else was available, or coming available for several months, and those were next to impossible to find, so we went with them. As far as I know, no one has tested them yet... maybe they're lucky!

Nemy
January 15th, 2009, 08:17 PM
I guess its hard to say what would happen in a major slide anyways... I was more interested in the "oh s#!7 forgot to put the stand down" drops. I'm assuming the intuitives are sturdy enough for those... but will they prevent the other parts of the bike from making contact (ie. exhaust, bar ends)?

Broom
January 15th, 2009, 08:30 PM
bar ends are just like your sliders. you want them to hit the ground instead of something else.

Gregular
January 17th, 2009, 02:31 PM
If you want some sturdier protectors, there's the crash protectors and bar end sliders from RG racing.

I have photos of the parts loosely fitted together in my album that's for public viewing.

The crash protectors are rock solid (all metal parts with replaceable delrin sliders at the end) and they are the only insurance approved ones that I know of.

http://www.ninjette.org/forums/picture.php?albumid=32&pictureid=277

And the bar end sliders again have replaceable delrin sliders on the end

http://www.ninjette.org/forums/picture.php?albumid=32&pictureid=265

I believe they have a shop on ebay and they ship internationally. (I think someone mentioned on kawiforums an importer for rg racing too, www.ema-usa.com)

I just checked the rg racing website and noticed that they specify these crash protectors for uk models only. I guess if anyone is interested, you could try asking them why that is or wait for my DIY to compare pics of my bike to yours

Anyhoo, soon as my bike turns up, I'll be doing some DIY's on some of the accessories that may not be so common across the pond. like the rg racing crash protectors and tail tidy.

See ya :)

CRXTrek
January 17th, 2009, 11:56 PM
Someone dropped and tested these for us :(
http://www.kawiforums.com/showthread.php?t=119815&page=9

GreezMunky
January 18th, 2009, 06:53 AM
Yikes, I've only tested mine in a low speeds parking lot drop, worked fine there.. I just hope I don't go down going that fast.

noche_caliente
January 18th, 2009, 09:08 AM
Here are the installation instructions for the R&G - just skimming, I don't see any reason why they wouldn't work on ours.... anyone else?
http://www.rg-racing.com/Images/Products/ProductFields/pdf743_60.pdf

craha
March 23rd, 2009, 12:57 AM
You guys must be much luckier than me. I put on the Intuitive sliders Friday and have had nothing but probs. For starters, the bolt end pokes my radiator hose. I had a friend help me to back the bolt end off as far as it would go until flush with nut and still rubs the hose. On top of that, the protruding parts of the sliders are very hard to line up so that they fit through the slit in fairing without interfering or rubbing. Thought I had it and placed fairings back on, no luck.

I actually decided today to put the original bolt back in and go without sliders. The problem with this kit is the bolt and nut being too big and sticking out too much on the radiator hose side. The original has a fixed head on that side that is lower profile. Any advice?

When I installed mine the hose wasn't in the way enough to justify removing it. Just had to nudge mine out of the way and everything fit fine. Have you taken off your fairing and looked at what you're going to be working with?

Broom
March 23rd, 2009, 07:31 AM
i don't see any problem with it pushing on the hose a bit. i don't think there would be enough movement to wear a hole in it or something. if it bothers you then find a rubber cap to put over it at the hardware store or maybe just some tape.

Sloppy2nds
March 23rd, 2009, 09:23 AM
i don't think anyone is real impressed with the intuitive sliders. i put the shogun sliders on mine. they're sturdier at least.

http://www.ninjette.org/forums/showthread.php?t=11224

+1 Ive had the shogun sliders on my bike since they came out. If there are any weak points on this thing its the flanges that hold the pucks but i doubt the tubular portion would bend enough to damage the frame/engine on a highspeed crash.

craha
March 23rd, 2009, 11:22 PM
Not a bad idea. If I decide to put them back on, I'll definitely try that. Any recommendations for something to wrap the hose with? Maybe something heat resistant?

i don't see any problem with it pushing on the hose a bit. i don't think there would be enough movement to wear a hole in it or something. if it bothers you then find a rubber cap to put over it at the hardware store or maybe just some tape.

noche_caliente
March 25th, 2009, 01:43 PM
Not a bad idea. If I decide to put them back on, I'll definitely try that. Any recommendations for something to wrap the hose with? Maybe something heat resistant?

My Father-in-Law does refrigeration work, so we used some insulating tape that he has - it's foamy stuff, super stick, and insulates well- seemed the perfect solution - perhaps you could find something like that at Lowe's or Home Depot?

NickH
April 6th, 2009, 03:07 PM
The Intuitive sliders were a pain to put on and position. The stud had to be adjusted at both ends, a definite 2 person job as it just keeps twisting otherwise. My husband put Vortex on his ZX14 and there is a huge difference, very sturdy product.

I've been in the process of installing these on my bike and they are extremely irritating to position correctly. Any words of advice on how to position them without the sliders hitting the plastic?

Thanks,
Nick

KJohnson21
April 7th, 2009, 01:32 PM
I've been in the process of installing these on my bike and they are extremely irritating to position correctly. Any words of advice on how to position them without the sliders hitting the plastic?

Thanks,
Nick

I used a long (12"), thin (3/16") drill bit, and put it through both holes, from one side to the other, to get the two sides lined up. You could use a screwdriver, or whatever, to do the same thing.

NickH
April 7th, 2009, 06:39 PM
I used a long (12"), thin (3/16") drill bit, and put it through both holes, from one side to the other, to get the two sides lined up. You could use a screwdriver, or whatever, to do the same thing.

Awesome advice. Thank you!:thumbup:

-Nick-