View Full Version : I finally broke down and bought some ear plugs

Jiggles
August 28th, 2012, 02:10 PM
I was reading this thread on BARF and finally decided to get some earplugs

http://bayarearidersforum.com/forums/showthread.php?t=409914

Idk I think a couple of the posts got to me and I was like ****, I'll get some, so I did.

http://www.amazon.com/Moldex-Pura-Fit-Soft-Foam-Earplugs-Style/dp/B000BYAP7I/ref=sr_1_2?ie=UTF8&qid=1346188125&sr=8-2&keywords=motorcycle+earplugs

They should arrive today, hope they don't suck!

lgk
August 28th, 2012, 02:33 PM
Go get some custom ones they are more comfortable than foam.

Jiggles
August 28th, 2012, 02:38 PM
idk how...

lgk
August 28th, 2012, 02:46 PM
go to a gun show they usually have a person making them

alex.s
August 28th, 2012, 02:57 PM
you know, i have tried so many different kinds of earplugs including custom ones.

ill stick to my coorded 3M reusable stick plugs (http://products3.3m.com/catalog/us/en001/safety/occ_health_safety/node_GSH9NDTLT3be/root_GST1T4S9TCgv/vroot_5SDD44F7DZge/gvel_15GNZX1TWCgl/theme_us_ohes_3_0/command_AbcPageHandler/output_html) from home depot.

choneofakind
August 28th, 2012, 03:08 PM
^^ I use those as well. Cheap and re-useable.

I just cut the smallest little pod off the end, pop them off the cord, and reuse them :) They do a good enough job to keep me from getting headaches, and they're comfy that way.

Jiggles
August 28th, 2012, 03:10 PM
I'll try those if these end up sucking

bdavison
August 28th, 2012, 04:56 PM
I prefer the $2.49 cent Remington Silicone ones in the Wally-world hunting section. Super quiet, last for months, have a little case to carry them in, and are comfortable.

geeker
August 29th, 2012, 05:52 AM
Why order something as simple as ear plugs from amazon? Afraid to leave the house? An 80 pack of 3M 32 dB NRR plugs will run you about $15 at Lowe's. Plus you get them now instead of waiting for them. Lol

jhunter
August 29th, 2012, 08:48 AM
Would ear buds for an mp3 player / iphone work as well?

massacremasses
August 29th, 2012, 08:52 AM
i have tons here at the shop. So I snag a handful whenever I need them

Jiggles
August 29th, 2012, 11:09 AM
Why order something as simple as ear plugs from amazon? Afraid to leave the house? An 80 pack of 3M 32 dB NRR plugs will run you about $15 at Lowe's. Plus you get them now instead of waiting for them. Lol

Because I got 200 PAIR (400 total) for $25

choneofakind
August 29th, 2012, 11:22 AM

not as well.

Alex
August 29th, 2012, 11:31 AM

In my experience, no. Most just don't seal that well, so there is outside noise that makes it way in. Then you turn up the music loud enough to drown out the outside noise, and any potential hearing protection is lost anyway.

Monkeytofu
August 29th, 2012, 11:42 AM
I wear ear plugs everytime I go on a long trip or extended highway use but I really need to get a custom pair made. I can't hear out of my ears for the next day or two because I have oddly shaped ear canals.

I can't wear earbuds either, too painful.

How much do custom pairs cost? I know custom molded earbuds are usually around 150-300 for the most basic models.

CC Cowboy
August 29th, 2012, 01:47 PM
I wear ear plugs when I ride without a helmet. When I ride with a helmet I use ear plugs also. When I ride to the gym I don't.

FrugalNinja250
August 29th, 2012, 03:27 PM
I run the -28dB green foamies, uber comfortable even on 14 hour long rides, and they're reusable for quite a number of times. You can get them up to -33dB now, next box I order that's what I'm getting.

http://www.moldex.com/hearing-protection/foam-earplugs/pura-fit.php

https://encrypted-tbn0.google.com/images?q=tbn:ANd9GcTqAzH0qO-XOMEtYDbnk3sJhG23gt4qLM6kxxFyw6XdrFObRYYGdQ

beerhalffull
August 29th, 2012, 08:07 PM
I've got these. Super quiet. You can also get the ones a step down if you want to hear just a bit.

http://www.amazon.com/Hearos-Xtreme-Protection-14-Pair-Foam/dp/B001EPQ86A/ref=sr_1_11?ie=UTF8&qid=1346295965&sr=8-11&keywords=hearo+ear+plug

I only wear ear plugs on the highway though.

Zombiphone
August 29th, 2012, 09:50 PM
How much do custom pairs cost? I know custom molded earbuds are usually around 150-300 for the most basic models.

Mine cost $55 and are rated at 33 db. You don't feel them, they're washable and last for years, easy to have on hand at all times, and always seal perfectly- so for the comfort, convenience, and ability to not have to hear a totsubo exhaust pinging at redline, I'd say they're worth every penny. I, personally, really hate riding without them

Jiggles
August 29th, 2012, 10:06 PM
Mine cost $55 and are rated at 33 db. You don't feel them, they're washable and last for years, easy to have on hand at all times, and always seal perfectly- so for the comfort, convenience, and ability to not have to hear a totsubo exhaust pinging at redline, I'd say they're worth every penny. I, personally, really hate riding without them

What kind?

Zombiphone
August 29th, 2012, 10:18 PM
The company that makes them is a one man operation called ThreeSeven Gear. They're custom molded out of medical grade silicon by one of the guys who runs one of the trackday organizations down here. Since he makes them specifically for motorcycle racers, unlike the custom gun plugs, they're more flush and seated a little deeper, so your helmet won't interfere with them at all (I've used a custom set of gun plugs too until I lost them one day, and while those were still great, these are definitely better).

You should be able to get pretty much the same thing at most motorcycle trade shows, but if you come down for that trackday at chuckwalla with TrackDaz in November, you can get a set from the same guy trackside

tooblekain
August 30th, 2012, 12:58 AM
The company that makes them is a one man operation called ThreeSeven Gear. They're custom molded out of medical grade silicon by one of the guys who runs one of the trackday organizations down here. Since he makes them specifically for motorcycle racers, unlike the custom gun plugs, they're more flush and seated a little deeper, so your helmet won't interfere with them at all (I've used a custom set of gun plugs too until I lost them one day, and while those were still great, these are definitely better).

You should be able to get pretty much the same thing at most motorcycle trade shows, but if you come down for that trackday at chuckwalla with TrackDaz in November, you can get a set from the same guy trackside

I wonder if he'll be able to since he did have a road biking accident (ironic huh...its a road bike that gets him injured) and he broke his humerous

Mountain Dew
August 30th, 2012, 01:07 AM
I use the earplugs I got from the Army when I'm mowing the lawn. I don't usually wear them when I ride though. Almost all the riding I do isn't more than half an hour at a time.
I don't feel that my bike is loud enough through my helmet to do lasting damage (just my opinion), and I rarely ride on the freeway, so wind noise isn't much of an issue.

https://store.colemans.com/cart/images/2248a.gif

beerhalffull
August 30th, 2012, 04:39 AM
I use the earplugs I got from the Army when I'm mowing the lawn. I don't usually wear them when I ride though. Almost all the riding I do isn't more than half an hour at a time.
I don't feel that my bike is loud enough through my helmet to do lasting damage (just my opinion), and I rarely ride on the freeway, so wind noise isn't much of an issue.

They say it's not the noise of the bike, it's the wind that hurts your ears.

rojoracing53
August 30th, 2012, 06:00 AM
Hey Jiggles if you come down with me to chuckwalla in three weeks for the races I'm sure we can get Dustin of ThreeSeven to mold you a set. I've never had a set my self because I figured I'd lose them but I'll be getting a set this time.

I started wearing ear plug because if you go race a 600 with a GP canister without ear plugs you brain will bleed.

jhunter
August 30th, 2012, 07:47 AM
They say it's not the noise of the bike, it's the wind that hurts your ears.

Yeah, that's what I've heard / read as well. They mentioned it in the MSF course too.

alex.s
August 30th, 2012, 11:09 AM
not have to hear a totsubo exhaust pinging at redline

luls. does jon often lap you?

Zombiphone
August 30th, 2012, 11:18 AM
luls. does jon often lap you?

....... Right. Because Jon is the only one who runs a totsubo.

http://www.socalmoto.org/forum/images/smilies/clap.gif

I wonder if he'll be able to since he did have a road biking accident (ironic huh...its a road bike that gets him injured) and he broke his humerous

Oh- yes, right- totally forgot about that. Well, even if he's not racing, I imagine he'll still be there at least to be the overseer. Probably.

But if not.... eh, it's just jiggles who'll be missing out so no bigs

alex.s
August 30th, 2012, 11:24 AM
....... Right. Because Jon is the only one who runs a totsubo.

http://www.socalmoto.org/forum/images/smilies/clap.gif

oh i thought he was?

who else has a totsubo?

azimmer11
August 30th, 2012, 11:30 AM

I'm guessing someone hasn't seen the prices you can get on amazon =]

Zombiphone
August 30th, 2012, 11:33 AM
oh i thought he was?

who else has a totsubo?

http://ministryplace.net/wp-content/uploads/2012/03/Third-party-facepalm.jpg

Someday, I want to believe that Alex will not only be capable of understanding rhetoric, but he'll wait until he actually knows something before speaking on it. Someday.

Also, take a look at Shawn's bike next time.

alex.s
August 30th, 2012, 11:38 AM
http://ministryplace.net/wp-content/uploads/2012/03/Third-party-facepalm.jpg

Someday, I want to believe that Alex will not only be capable of understanding rhetoric, but he'll wait until he actually knows something before speaking on it. Someday.

Also, take a look at Shawn's bike next time.

oh yeah!!!

geeker
August 30th, 2012, 04:27 PM
I'm guessing someone hasn't seen the prices you can get on amazon =]

I'm well aware. See my last statement. Here and now wins for me, every time. :thumbup:

azimmer11
August 31st, 2012, 05:29 AM
I'm well aware. See my last statement. Here and now wins for me, every time. :thumbup:

I don't know about you, but getting packages in the mail is exciting :D

geeker
August 31st, 2012, 05:40 AM
I don't know about you, but getting packages in the mail from Revzilla is exciting :D

Fixed that for you. Such as the one I'm expecting today. :D

robmilchling
August 31st, 2012, 06:58 AM
I've got these. Super quiet. You can also get the ones a step down if you want to hear just a bit.

http://www.amazon.com/Hearos-Xtreme-Protection-14-Pair-Foam/dp/B001EPQ86A/ref=sr_1_11?ie=UTF8&qid=1346295965&sr=8-11&keywords=hearo+ear+plug

I only wear ear plugs on the highway though.

I use these as well. I've tried several kind and these by far are the best, these are the first that I felt actually worked properly.

Also, I can't stress enough the importance of properly inserting ear plugs as it will make a massive difference.

Jiggles
August 31st, 2012, 11:16 AM

Dude, free 2 day shipping on everything! And one day shipping for only 3.99!!!!

Jiggles
September 11th, 2012, 07:38 PM
Ok so I tried out these earplugs finally, and I ****ing hate them. Halfway through my ride I yanked them out because of how annoying they were. It seemed like any vibration or movement that hit my head would make this low frequency/pitch thunk in my ears, and on even slightly bumpy roads I was dying from the noise.

After I ripped them out though I was like HOLY **** this bike is loud haha.

So I'm wondering if this annoying sound side effect is present in other earplugs like the ones choneofakind and alex.s mentioned?

choneofakind
September 11th, 2012, 07:40 PM
uhhhh I have no idea what you're talking about? I mean if I shuffle my helmet around, it seems uber loud because it's touching my ears, but idk?

Jiggles
September 11th, 2012, 07:45 PM
like so if you put earplugs in and walk around, each step you take makes like a thunk/thud in your ear. I can't stand that sound. I'm wondering if the ones you guys use don't make that sound because they are shaped differently

choneofakind
September 11th, 2012, 07:45 PM
I get that a little. But I also get that with just a helmet on.

Jiggles
September 11th, 2012, 07:47 PM
Well, I'll have to try yours then. Where do you get them? I can only find 100 packs for $98 online

choneofakind
September 11th, 2012, 07:51 PM
Lowes. $2.50 for a pair. They're re-usable.

Are you cramming them too far into your ear? Orrrrr not far enough in? It might not be the earplug.

Jiggles
September 11th, 2012, 08:01 PM
No clue

rojoracing53
September 11th, 2012, 08:33 PM
like so if you put earplugs in and walk around, each step you take makes like a thunk/thud in your ear. I can't stand that sound. I'm wondering if the ones you guys use don't make that sound because they are shaped differently

Sounds like someone doesn't know how to walk like a ninja

Jiggles
September 11th, 2012, 08:37 PM
nope, cant ride like one either :lol:

choneofakind
September 11th, 2012, 08:39 PM
fatty

Jiggles
September 11th, 2012, 08:40 PM
leanbean

You won't last 12hrs without food... I on the other hand can go for a month

choneofakind
September 11th, 2012, 08:42 PM
hey, that's string bean to you! :lol:

and no. I go like 3 hours without eating, and I'm seriously having a case of the rumbly tummy. I eat all day long, no joke. 3 meals a day? Try 5-7. I eat a ton.

Jiggles
September 11th, 2012, 08:46 PM
I do 1-2 meals a day lmao

choneofakind
September 11th, 2012, 08:49 PM
People wonder why I'm not huge when they see how much I eat... :o

I eat balanced, but still. I eat a ton.

Jiggles
September 11th, 2012, 08:56 PM
So should I put food in my ears?

Oh god! I just realized why I hate that fukcing sound, its like when you have water in your ears, you know that feeling but more importantly the sound? It's like a deep low sound in your ear, it makes me sick I hate it

rojoracing53
September 12th, 2012, 05:28 AM
So should I put food in my ears?

Oh god! I just realized why I hate that fukcing sound, its like when you have water in your ears, you know that feeling but more importantly the sound? It's like a deep low sound in your ear, it makes me sick I hate it

Stop walking around in circles listening to yourself and get on the bike and ride

lgk
September 12th, 2012, 06:01 AM
I never had that happen.
Do you tilt your head in the opposite direction when putting them on?

Try these instructions
http://www.cdc.gov/niosh/mining/topics/hearingloss/earplug.htm

alex.s
September 12th, 2012, 09:36 AM
Your helmet should not be moving. You need to get one that fits you

Jiggles
September 12th, 2012, 10:42 AM
Your helmet should not be moving. You need to get one that fits you

Not the issue

alex.s
September 12th, 2012, 10:44 AM
just read the issue, you need smaller plugs for your child-sized ears, and dont jam them in so far they come out the other side.

alex.s
September 12th, 2012, 10:44 AM
use these and only stick them in on the first notch
https://store.colemans.com/cart/images/2248a.gif

Jiggles
September 12th, 2012, 11:06 AM
What are those?

DennyV
September 12th, 2012, 02:13 PM
I tried earplugs... but they stressed me out... It lowers the wind noise... but makes the exhaust noise annoying as hell, since your body is touching the bike.. the sounds of the exhaust travel through your body and into your ear making it louder than without plugs...I'm just not use to riding with plugs at all

choneofakind
September 13th, 2012, 09:02 AM
I tried earplugs... but they stressed me out... It lowers the wind noise... but makes the exhaust noise annoying as hell, since your body is touching the bike.. the sounds of the exhaust travel through your body and into your ear making it louder than without plugs...I'm just not use to riding with plugs at all

I've never had that happen, and I've been riding with plugs for 2+ seasons now. It makes everything quieter for me.

geeker
September 19th, 2012, 05:39 AM

If your ear plugs are touching the sides of your helmet, that is the cause of this.

Ramen
September 19th, 2012, 07:12 AM
This is what I wear:

http://www.amazon.com/Surefire-Sonic-Defender-Protection-Medium/dp/B0010HFAKC/ref=sr_1_1?s=sporting-goods&ie=UTF8&qid=1348063792&sr=1-1&keywords=surefire+ep3

Low profile, comfortable, and doesn't make you feel like you're riding around with a head cold. Just get the medium unless you're a baby midget or Dumbo.

flynjay
September 19th, 2012, 07:14 AM
Jigs, I don't think you are putting the plugs in far enough. I sometimes have a hard time getting mine out since there is very little sticking out to grab.

Whiskey
September 20th, 2012, 02:39 PM
Jiggles These (http://www.amazon.com/Design-Go-Luggage-Zone-Grey/dp/B003BF8S4G/ref=sr_1_15?ie=UTF8&qid=1348176899&sr=8-15&keywords=ear+plug+zone) are what I wear, I used to be issued orange foam crap ones when I was in the artillery, never liked them. The ones I use on the bike don't stick out so don't touch the inside of the helmet & don't buzz.

Worth a shot & their size is adjustable with the different size inserts

Jiggles
September 20th, 2012, 02:41 PM
I don't think mine are touching the helmet but I'll try em!

Aggrotech
September 21st, 2012, 01:56 AM
as someone else has mentioned..go to a motorcycle event or something. I went to a Soul Brothers event at the fresno fair and they had people there that made custom fit earplugs..was like 30bucks but everyone who got them said they are the absolute best thing you can get, considering they were made for your ears alone.

redsuns03
September 26th, 2012, 09:22 PM
This is what I wear:

http://www.amazon.com/Surefire-Sonic-Defender-Protection-Medium/dp/B0010HFAKC/ref=sr_1_1?s=sporting-goods&ie=UTF8&qid=1348063792&sr=1-1&keywords=surefire+ep3

Low profile, comfortable, and doesn't make you feel like you're riding around with a head cold. Just get the medium unless you're a baby midget or Dumbo.

Funny thing is I have the EP3 medium on my left ear and a large for my right ear since my ear hole on my right ear is marginally bigger haha

Alienjoe
September 28th, 2012, 10:03 AM
Ok guys here goes two words: Howard Leight. My 02 Ninjette has a full Muzzy and I ride with Howard Leight MAX plugs. They are comfy, expand quickly and stay in place. I rode about 125 miles over 2 days and 3 short rides hitting an indicated top speed of 85 and I was comfortable the whole time. Earplugs are essential for your ears and make riding at higher speeds less stressful. Get a few different pairs and give each a test ride. Most plugs have a NRR (noise reduction rating) of 30db or better so buy what's comfortable and not the highest rated NRR. Good luck!!