View Full Version : Feedback needed on Semi Big-rig wind blast

ken_here
December 30th, 2008, 11:09 AM
I was hoping for some feedback on Semi Big-rig wind blast. I live in a rural part of the country with most of my riding on two lane roads with lots of logging truck traffic. I was wondering what the experience was riding past semi trucks in the opposite direction and their 70MPH wind blast on the light weight 250r. Throw you around very bad or does the sleek wind fairing help you? Thanks.

Syphen
December 30th, 2008, 11:23 AM
I have never felt that the wind-blast from a transport truck to be THAT bad. It will jostle you a little but no worse then a strong breeze. The biggest piece of advice I could give you is to look ahead and NOT at the truck. Do not get fixated on that truck. Give yourself a little room as well. Move from the blocking position to a little further towards the center of the lane. You'll be fine and totally used to the experience in no time.

I've ridden past farmers fields and gotten much bigger wind gusts then I've received from a truck wind-blast.

Also, the Ninja 250R isn't that light weight in my opinion. It doesn't get blown around any worse then a 600 or 1000 would.

zartan
December 30th, 2008, 12:27 PM
The gust will hit just after the truck pasts, so right when you say to your self. " oh my god that is a big rig, "the blast will hit .I am a two lane highway rider too. I hate the big trucks but the wind is only for a second and you just need to know you will be gusted a little. Not too scary.
good thinking ahead.

Broom
December 30th, 2008, 01:45 PM
relax and look where you wanna go... don't fight the bike. that'll get you through almost anything.

BlackKarma
December 30th, 2008, 06:28 PM
I found hugging the tank helps also.Keeps alot of wind that would be hitting you off you,it goe's right over you.Think bullet...:thumbup:

Alex
December 30th, 2008, 06:47 PM
It's strong enough that you will feel it, but not so strong that it needs to move the bike over even an inch or two. The bike wants to go straight, it'll only dart one way or another if we give incorrect inputs to the bars.

G250RSC
December 30th, 2008, 07:53 PM
I commute on the highway with trucks every day. Just relax...its when you tense up that things will happen. The most I have felt is a slight wind that will nudge me a little. The more comfortable you get with the bike the better it will get!

NJD022588
December 31st, 2008, 01:24 AM
I think the gusts from trucks arent that bad since you know its coming. It may only turn the bike an inch or two. I've been blown about 6 inches or so by unexpected side wind gusts of about 30 mph. All you need to do is slowly get back on your desired path. No big deal.