View Full Version : Amps' versus HPs' - An e-future for motorcycles?

Motofool
August 31st, 2012, 07:18 PM
....or electroncycles :confused:

3BEmTBpw5d0

Jiggles
August 31st, 2012, 07:32 PM
Never shifting sounds boring D:

Motofool
August 31st, 2012, 07:57 PM
Agree !

It will be the end of the most fun on wheels :bored:

R1Chronicles
August 31st, 2012, 09:59 PM
It's just not right, it sounds like a high speed blender.

No clutch, no gears and they accelerate like crazy off the start, they will be popular with new riders.

I bet will just love them though ... :D

Monkeytofu
August 31st, 2012, 10:18 PM
I love the idea of electronic motorcycles. It simplifies the whole experience and makes the ride less about controling, tweaking your bike as your driving and more just about driving. Sure shifting is fun, but sometimes you just want to ride without all the noise.

Also silent rides are the best. One less annoying sound coming out of the bike. Just you and your environment.

I bet [you.] will just love them though ... :D

Can't get away with it again ;)

Jiggles
August 31st, 2012, 10:21 PM
I love the idea of electronic motorcycles. It simplifies the whole experience and makes the ride less about controling, tweaking your bike as your driving and more just about driving. Sure shifting is fun, but sometimes you just want to ride without all the noise.

Also silent rides are the best. One less annoying sound coming out of the bike. Just you and your environment.

I can't hear my 250 over the wind :idunno:

R1Chronicles
August 31st, 2012, 11:06 PM

Guess I'm old school,
- love the sound of the engine coming to life.
- love the smell of the exhaust (2 stroke oil really does it for me ... :D)
- love the sound of bike running through the gears in a high rpm run
- love the clutch and gears, so many fun functions with those simple little items ... :)

Can tell you never hang with Harley riders ... lol

Can see it now, the Harley of the future. More stereo than motor, we hold the patent to the original Harley sound buy your MP3 from us.

PS. how many windings does your bike have

Monkeytofu
August 31st, 2012, 11:22 PM
Guess I'm old school,
- love the sound of the engine coming to life.
- love the smell of the exhaust (2 stroke oil really does it for me ... :D)
- love the sound of bike running through the gears in a high rpm run
- love the clutch and gears, so many fun functions with those simple little items ... :)

Don't get me wrong, I love those too and they'll always have their novelty, but electric bikes are just so much more appealing to me. It looks like the most basic and natural experience you could get out of a bike.

Can tell you never hang with Harley riders ... lol

My friend used to own a Yamaha v-star with aftermarket pipes. I absolutely hated riding behind him. He switched to a GSX with a yoshi pipe which isn't as balls to the walls loud. Still hate his loud ass bikes :p

bkh2
August 31st, 2012, 11:58 PM
The one thing I dislike about electric anything is that it doesn't feel reliable. In a combustion engine, if I have gas, I can go. Gasoline won't show me 98% one moment and show me 50% when I turn the bike on thirty minutes later. I love the concept of electric vehicles, but I don't think the current technology (at reasonable prices) can supply the necessary power density or discharge cycles. E-bikes are fun projects, but I don't think they are viable right now.

Jiggles
September 1st, 2012, 12:02 AM
Gimme a hybrid 250

dfox
September 1st, 2012, 03:22 AM
it's all what you're used to.

stay in the dino ages and worship a fossil fuel that is eventually going to run out, or be part of the future, and embrace the inevitable switch to electric powered vehicles.

What would be wrong with standardized batteries (modular, for different sized cars/bikes), that you can pull into a battery station and swap out to a fully charged battery just like you can fill a tank of gas? Think outside the box, because that's the only way forward.

If I had my way, there would be way more (electric) trains around, for cheaper then they are currently, to cart people around for long distances, and a personal vehicle wouldn't be traveled for more than 50 miles at a time.

wch5274
September 1st, 2012, 05:00 AM

No clutch, no gears and they accelerate like crazy off the start, they will be popular with new riders.

guess what... i do love the bike + the speaker with sound come from 6 cyl 250cc motorbike like below... :thumbup:

eaRop_ZMwo0

R1Chronicles
September 1st, 2012, 08:13 AM
Gimme a hybrid 250

That would be a heavy bike.

http://www.ninjette.org/forums/profile.php?do=addlist&userlist=ignore&u=xxxx

Creative tagline, what does it do? put themselves on ignore?

Motofool
September 1st, 2012, 09:31 AM
The one thing I dislike about electric anything is that it doesn't feel reliable. ........... I love the concept of electric vehicles, but I don't think the current technology (at reasonable prices) can supply the necessary power density or discharge cycles. E-bikes are fun projects, but I don't think they are viable right now.

The same happened with model airplanes during the last few years.

Glow and diesel (methanol) engines were the standard from the beginning of the last century until recent years.

Then, a marginal electric power fed by heavy NiCd batteries was introduced as an alternative to temperamental, smelly, noisy and messy power plants.

For a long time, that alternative was more an exotic thing than a practical solution.

Increasing prices of methanol and noise restrictions for flying fields made developers use and commercialize edge technology: brushless motors, lithium-ion polymer batteries, electronic speed controls and computerized chargers.

Currently, the situation has reversed and many hard core RC flyers have switched to e-power.

Once by ounce, some e-systems deliver more power than the internal combustion counterparts.

Does it feel the same? Not even close.
More people lacking mechanical skills, who would never successfully tune a carburetor, have access to the hobby now.

The lack of noise of electric model airplanes is really pathetic.
There are now electronic gadgets that reproduce the old engine noises.

So, I can see that Harley of the future with a big amplifier mimicking the "loud pipes that save lives". :)

Motofool
September 1st, 2012, 12:27 PM
More of the same conspiracy stream:

http://evahakansson.se/#home

http://www.brammo.com/models/

http://peswiki.com/index.php/Directory:Axle_Corporation%27s_Hybrid_Bike

http://world.honda.com/news/2004/2040824_01.html

NUXhJZZRUIg

aAdfJyxX9Cc

Ninjedi
September 1st, 2012, 12:31 PM

I'm confused, why would i like them?

Motofool
March 23rd, 2013, 09:19 AM
Old project, new find:

http://corin.com/sensei/index.shtml

Joshorilla
March 23rd, 2013, 09:29 AM
The same happened with model airplanes during the last few years.

Glow and diesel (methanol) engines were the standard from the beginning of the last century until recent years.

Then, a marginal electric power fed by heavy NiCd batteries was introduced as an alternative to temperamental, smelly, noisy and messy power plants.

For a long time, that alternative was more an exotic thing than a practical solution.

Increasing prices of methanol and noise restrictions for flying fields made developers use and commercialize edge technology: brushless motors, lithium-ion polymer batteries, electronic speed controls and computerized chargers.

Currently, the situation has reversed and many hard core RC flyers have switched to e-power.

Once by ounce, some e-systems deliver more power than the internal combustion counterparts.

Does it feel the same? Not even close.
More people lacking mechanical skills, who would never successfully tune a carburetor, have access to the hobby now.

The lack of noise of electric model airplanes is really pathetic.
There are now electronic gadgets that reproduce the old engine noises.

So, I can see that Harley of the future with a big amplifier mimicking the "loud pipes that save lives". :)

Wooah, old boy, I think electric motors are the best thing to happen to the hobby! Smaller, lighter planes can now be built with strong power, just look at the foam park fliers they are great fun! And cheap!

I can't wait for electric motorcycles, power will still be measured in kW, but we'll get excellent smooth and quiet power, I have been trying to find a frame to convert to electric, but the laws are funny for riding them on the roads here so its a back burner.

And you know what we have to thank for these electric motor advances? The mobile "cell" phone industry, without the demand for smaller lighter phones that last longer, we wouldn't have the battery technology to run these things.