View Full Version : Collision With a Lorry (not gory, just scary. Could've been much worse)

akima
September 4th, 2012, 09:10 AM
Another SMIDSY. A friend at my work place linked it to me:
7ib5euNg4Is

I imagine many will comment that if he hadn't have been vlogging he may have had improved reaction times.

Personally, if I was him I would've slowed down enough that I could come to a complete stop in the event that the lorry driver didn't see me. I do that a lot when riding. I generally tear around pretty fast, but as soon as I approach junctions and other potential SMIDSY-zones I slow down lots and lots. This has the unintended benefit of making my riding more enjoyable! Lots of shifting gears and accelerating and braking. It's half the reason we own 2fiddy's right!?

Apparently the guy is fine: just a fractured knee. He avoided hitting the lorry head on and instead managed to turn the situation into the lorry colliding into his side.

The way the camera flies off, spins and then lands to face the rider and his bike on the ground, it almost looks like the whole thing was choreographed for a motorcycle safety advert.

Live2ride
September 4th, 2012, 10:05 AM
wow, that's a slap in the face. Definitely pin points the dangers of riding. i hope he made it out with no serious injuries.

ryan.chin
September 4th, 2012, 10:08 AM
Hope he's okay.

At first I was like, what the **** is a Lorry?

alex.s
September 4th, 2012, 10:24 AM
it seems like these lorries are hitting bikes a lot...

side note- akima y u no post mor

Kevin2109
September 4th, 2012, 10:27 AM
Oh, holy crap! That was scary

Snake
September 4th, 2012, 10:55 AM
He had just gone through that water so his traction may have been affected.

Motofool
September 4th, 2012, 06:10 PM
.........Personally, if I was him I would've slowed down enough that I could come to a complete stop in the event that the lorry driver didn't see me. I do that a lot when riding. I generally tear around pretty fast, but as soon as I approach junctions and other potential SMIDSY-zones I slow down lots and lots..........

:thumbup: :thumbup: :thumbup:

Too fast for the conditions ! :eek:

greg737
September 4th, 2012, 06:30 PM
Hope he's okay.

At first I was like, what the **** is a Lorry?

And it wasn't just any old Lorry, it was a fully-articulated Lorry. Right, Akima?

Jiggles
September 4th, 2012, 08:42 PM
Holy ****, his camera mount didn't hold up at all!

akima
September 4th, 2012, 10:31 PM
And it wasn't just any old Lorry, it was a fully-articulated Lorry. Right, Akima?

yus

CZroe
September 20th, 2012, 03:58 PM
Holy ****, his camera mount didn't hold up at all!

And it ended up being for the best!

cuong-nutz
September 20th, 2012, 08:46 PM
Wow. Glad he's okay for the most part! I had to see just WTF is a lorry. LOL

Malicious Logic
September 23rd, 2012, 10:01 PM
Lol, yeah, I was confused up until the crash. Too busy trying to figure out wtf a lorry was. Glad he's ok.