View Full Version : Bag to carry laptop

hemiman1
September 4th, 2012, 03:01 PM
Anyone have any recommendations to transport my laptop with minimal files between home and work? I don't care if it's a tank bag, rear seat bag or saddle bags, just want to get all this weight off my back during the ride.

Thank,
Brian

REDCOMET
September 4th, 2012, 03:05 PM
in addition to the previous post will a magnetic tank bag mess up a macbook pro?

bfpower
September 4th, 2012, 03:19 PM
in addition to the previous post will a magnetic tank bag mess up a macbook pro?

When I was an IT tech I used to get a lot of questions/problems related to magnets. Fact is, when a magnet moves near an electrical conductor, it can generate a current in the circuit just by moving near it. I would not trust a magnet anywhere near a laptop, whether the power is on or not. If the power is on, the magnets will interfere even worse. This includes sleep mode. Just as a rule, keep magnets away from laptops.

I use this pack: http://www.revzilla.com/motorcycle/ogio-sprocket-backpack It was cheap and it straps down well to become a tail bag when necessary. See my review on that page for more detailed opinion.

Kevin2109
September 4th, 2012, 03:22 PM
Here is what I use

http://www.axioluggage.com/swift_carbon_m.html

http://www.axioluggage.com/images/swift/image-9.jpg

Holds my Macbook pro 15 no problem

csmith12
September 4th, 2012, 03:24 PM
ummm... none maybe? Why not just use a usb mem stick?

REDCOMET
September 4th, 2012, 03:32 PM
When I was an IT tech I used to get a lot of questions/problems related to magnets. Fact is, when a magnet moves near an electrical conductor, it can generate a current in the circuit just by moving near it. I would not trust a magnet anywhere near a laptop, whether the power is on or not. If the power is on, the magnets will interfere even worse. This includes sleep mode. Just as a rule, keep magnets away from laptops.

I use this pack: http://www.revzilla.com/motorcycle/ogio-sprocket-backpack It was cheap and it straps down well to become a tail bag when necessary. See my review on that page for more detailed opinion.

Thanks for the reply. I wish there was a sleeve that would protect a laptop from magnetic waves. would be cool.

bdavison
September 4th, 2012, 05:12 PM
Seriously...

The power plug on the Macbook Pro IS a magnet. The macbook has a magnet permanently attached to the side for the MagSafe connector. Also, the Macbook Pro has magnets in the body that hold the screen closed as well. Then there are magnets in the cooling fan, inside the hard-drive, inside the CDROM, inside the speakers...yeah. Also, the macbook pro uses a magnet to tell it when to go to sleep, and interesting side effect is that if a really strong magnet gets near the macbook, it will go to sleep, protecting the HDD.

I wouldn't worry about magnets affecting your Macbook Pro...now those cheapo' PC's that's a whole other story.

Ive had my macbook pro, ipads, ipods, and iphones in a magnetic tankbag and never had a problem.

REDCOMET
September 4th, 2012, 05:37 PM
cool that's good news for me cause i don't like bags on my back.

Kipawa
September 4th, 2012, 05:58 PM
Anyone have any recommendations to transport my laptop with minimal files between home and work? I don't care if it's a tank bag, rear seat bag or saddle bags, just want to get all this weight off my back during the ride.

Thank,
Brian

Kreiga bag. :thumbup::thumbup::thumbup: Been using for two years now. Solidly attaches and water proof. Love it highly recomend it just a little pricey but been caught in absolute down pours and is completely water tight with my laptop and one folder I try to maintain my work paperwork at! See other thread and threads in there.

http://www.ninjette.org/forums/showthread.php?t=104461&highlight=kriega

leed
September 4th, 2012, 07:20 PM
Seriously...

The power plug on the Macbook Pro IS a magnet. The macbook has a magnet permanently attached to the side for the MagSafe connector. Also, the Macbook Pro has magnets in the body that hold the screen closed as well. Then there are magnets in the cooling fan, inside the hard-drive, inside the CDROM, inside the speakers...yeah. Also, the macbook pro uses a magnet to tell it when to go to sleep, and interesting side effect is that if a really strong magnet gets near the macbook, it will go to sleep, protecting the HDD.

I wouldn't worry about magnets affecting your Macbook Pro...now those cheapo' PC's that's a whole other story.

Ive had my macbook pro, ipads, ipods, and iphones in a magnetic tankbag and never had a problem.

The key thing is all of those magnets are stationary. When you bring a magnet across a set of wires (or a chip with conductors if you please) you generate current (more so with a coil).

Whether or not that current is strong enough to do anything provided the space between the exterior of the laptop+whatever is sitting between it and the magnet from the tank bag is a different story.

Besides, if you're really worried about it, just upgrade your current HDD to solid state, and no more worries!

But I am surprised that you are concerned with electrical current in a harddrive... The amount of current required to do any damage is pretty small, and you're more likely to have more current from static electricity from dry air moving through the computer for cooling.

The bigger concern is wiping the harddrive with magnets. But even then I don't think it's a huge concern.

chef
September 4th, 2012, 07:31 PM
Pain in the butt but i used to use STM backpack for my 17"Macbook,fantastic quality but pricey,had sufficient padding also.
Depends what size laptop you want to transport but personally i would not carry a laptop in a tank bag due to risk of warping the body.
I have seen several incidents on Mac forums in past years.

iplante
September 5th, 2012, 08:53 AM
Seriously...

"Seriously..." I'd like to see you use these magnets to glue your laptop to the tank. Not gonna work. Why? Because they are pretty weak.

There's a difference between those magnets and the ones on a tank bag, which are generally super strong to keep the bag in place. A laptop does NOT belong in a magnetic tank bag.

bfpower
September 5th, 2012, 10:10 AM
I don't think it's a huge concern.

The myth is that it will wipe data. It won't, but depending on the position of a magnet in relationship to a circuit, it can cause all kinds of issues.

One of the companies I used to support bought a bunch of steel case computers. The receptionist was ALWAYS complaining about her computer rebooting randomly. I stopped by and found a couple of fridge magnets stuck on the case; took them off and the problem went away immediately. Similar user-related stories throughout my work with that company, actually. Their people were unusually aggressive on their computers.

FWIW, it's your deal - you're welcome to stick magnets all over your computer if you want. :thumbup: