View Full Version : New Years Day Ride

OldGuy
January 1st, 2009, 04:37 PM
When all my riding was on a road bike there was a group of us that used to take a New Years Day ride no matter the weather, unless there was ice. Here in Nebraska New Years is in the teens or low 20's and even at 15 mph that gave you a 6 degree wind chill to deal with.

With the Huskers winning the Gator Bowl and some sunshine still out there I decided to start myself a new tradition and take the Ninja for a ride to start the new year. Besides what better way to keep the battery topped off?

It may have been 40 degrees out but at 45 - 60 mph the wind chill is still in the low 20's. Use cycling clothing as a base layer and good to go.

Not counting SoCal, the south, and Kelly where it is reasonably warm, did anybody else get a ride in?

kkim
January 1st, 2009, 05:09 PM
Good for you, Don! Nothing like perseverance to get off the ole' butt. My congratulations!! So, how was the ride?

I've been stuck behind the TV all day installing a new AV receiver. :o I should go for a ride, though... the rain has stopped for now (but threatening) and it's 78 degrees. :cool:

HKr1
January 1st, 2009, 05:15 PM
No ride today, or the last three days...... We have been clearing the land out back for a pool.

When we lived in San Diego. The Harley guys & sportbike guys got together for the "Dead Bird Run". We all rode up to Mt Palomar for a chicken cook out, Was totally awesome :)

Who knows if they still do it ??????

Here's an old pic from one them. I had some tread before we left for the day, we went on one run (up/down the Mt.)..... Thought the road was wet on the way back up < just lost some tread :) LOL

OldGuy
January 1st, 2009, 05:52 PM
So, how was the ride?

At this point in my riding life I would say there is no such thing as a bad ride, just some are better than others. This one was a great one since it had been two weeks since I had been able to ride because of the weather. Re-traced a 30 mile route I used to ride on the rode bike. Very different doing it at 60 mph vs 18-20 mph. Also first time I have been able to get out on the back roads and get some speed. Verrrrry different wind pressure from the 45 on the commute to the 60 out on the back road. Just need to do more of that to be comfortable. At least I didn't have a death grip:D.

By the way oh wise one, spedo check - 7500 rpm for 60 mph?

Alex
January 1st, 2009, 05:57 PM
...speedo check - 7500 rpm for 60 mph?

Sounds in the ballpark, but both the tach and the speedo have pretty wide tolerances, so it's never going to be calibrated perfectly with another bike. Easiest way to confirm true speed is to use a GPS, but there are certainly lower-tech ways as well, like holding a constant speed for a mile between the highway markers while keeping track of how long it took to travel that measured mile.

SF-Dug
January 1st, 2009, 05:59 PM
I took my first real ( not including my 2 rides to the gas station previously :P ) street ride today. Took the street route from my home ( in the Mission/Bernal Heights district ) to work ( Sunset district ) and it was awesome fun. I guess for a n00b like me I am way easy to please. Traffic was light today and I rode in the morning. I'll probably ride during the weekends until I get comfortable enough to ride during morning rush hour traffic to work. :)

OldGuy
January 1st, 2009, 06:03 PM
Have fun Dug - I love commuting to work on the Ninja. I have found that the focus required really clears the head both on the way in and on the way home at night. Keep the radar in the search mode at all times and you will be fine.

Now when you start being able to start up on the SF hills we will know that you are getting the hang of things. :D

Cochese
January 1st, 2009, 06:48 PM
I blew 45 minutes today. :D

Scraped up the finish on the side of my boots. This bike handles wonderfully.

FlamingYellowInsanity
January 1st, 2009, 10:56 PM
Rode it all around yesterday (NYeve) and then home early this morning (2am NYday), so I guess that counts. :D It was cold, but fun! Just had to watch out for the crazies!!! ;)

Oh wait, nevermind, you said SoCal didn't count...

Travis

OldGuy
January 2nd, 2009, 08:19 AM
It was cold, but fun! Just had to watch out for the crazies!!! ;)

Oh wait, nevermind, you said SoCal didn't count...

Travis

OK Travis first define "cold" then depending upon that answer, the fact that you had to watch out for crazies (but isn't that the norm for SoCal) maybe we'll count the ride:)

Don