View Full Version : Ninjette crashes while lanesplitting

Alex
September 8th, 2012, 08:34 PM
A bit too fast for the wet conditions:

Z3cSr8imjYg

(original link (http://www.vidiload.com/video/109514/Car_really_hates_motorcyclist/))

Jiggles
September 8th, 2012, 08:39 PM
I saw that, dummy

Old Lemon
September 8th, 2012, 08:55 PM
dam that sucks

akima
September 8th, 2012, 11:53 PM
A bit too fast for the wet conditions:

http://www.vidiload.com/video/109514/Car_really_hates_motorcyclist/

Good find, Totally agree.

The driver obviously didn't check his mirrors and is at fault for pulling in front of another moving vehicle. The rider definitely could have prevented that crash though.

Jiggles
September 9th, 2012, 12:06 AM
When you lane split you're putting your trust into the hands of other drivers. I would never ever expect a driver to check for a lane splitting motorcycle. The rider trusted a stranger and paid the price

pomartin
September 9th, 2012, 03:43 AM
serves him well... :bash:
never ever cut traffic jams with speed like that... especially when road is wet

n4mwd
September 9th, 2012, 04:38 AM
The link doesn't work here. When I click on the video it goes to playboy.com.

wdhansewd
September 9th, 2012, 06:29 AM

sounds like its working to me

7oxSin
September 9th, 2012, 06:40 AM

lol thats a bad thing?

ranma3030
September 9th, 2012, 07:05 AM
Silly boy this guy! Paid the price. Still feel for him tho. That sick feeling straight after a crash......... I can almost taste it watching this.

dfox
September 9th, 2012, 07:06 AM
oooff. no way to avoid that, aside from just slowing down. no way in hell that car could have seen the motorcycle approaching that quickly in those conditions. He'd have been just another speck of light in the guys mirror.

n4mwd
September 9th, 2012, 08:40 AM
I think the site is clickjacking.
Is the video available on youtube?
Posted via Mobile Device

Alex
September 9th, 2012, 09:19 AM
Don't click the ad. Hit the close button in the top right, and then the video will come up. Any of the other clicks on the page are at one's own risk. :) I didn't see the video on youtube yet, but will switch out the link if/when it shows up there.

Confuzshuz
September 9th, 2012, 09:34 AM
Good find, Totally agree.

The driver obviously didn't check his mirrors and is at fault for pulling in front of another moving vehicle. The rider definitely could have prevented that crash though.

Tough call. IMO, it could be considered contributory negligence, at least in the USA. As Alex pointed out, the rider was going too fast in the current conditions.

I'd like to know the outcome of this.

psych0hans
September 9th, 2012, 09:36 AM
Yeah, he was going way too fast for his own good...

Whiskey
September 9th, 2012, 10:04 AM
He was going a bit fast, but the driver just pulled out & appears to have also left the scene...

akima
September 9th, 2012, 10:08 AM
Tough call. IMO, it could be considered contributory negligence, at least in the USA. As Alex pointed out, the rider was going too fast in the current conditions.

Morally speaking: I suppose, had the rider being going a more reasonable speed, the damage to them-self and the bike would be less. So perhaps that makes him somewhat responsible for the level of pain and loss he suffered in the accident.

Legally speaking: I don't know.

CC Cowboy
September 9th, 2012, 10:26 AM
I love how all the cars split after the accident. I personally would have put the biker at fault for any damage to the car.

jpbear
September 9th, 2012, 10:38 AM
Guy was going too fast for his own good. Motorcyclists are supposed to take some responsibility for how they ride and this was going too fast for those conditions.

Even by Cali law it must have been going at an unsafe speed?

Wish GoPro videos had Speed timestamped onto the video :)

Jiggles
September 9th, 2012, 10:47 AM
I love it

He was going too fast
"how fast was he going?"
Idk but it was too fast!

beren
September 9th, 2012, 11:04 AM
Ane splitting may be legal, but it is stupid.
The car should have been more careful, but the rider should have known that somethimg like this was very possible and should not have put himself at risk.

Bob2010
September 9th, 2012, 11:05 AM
He took a risk. When I am riding, I wouldn't want a car trying to share my lane. So when I'm driving, I'd expect the same from a motorcyclist.

alex.s
September 9th, 2012, 11:16 AM
way too fast for that condition

greg737
September 9th, 2012, 11:17 AM
The important thing to realize is that right up until the moment his lane-splitting accident occured he was never going to have a lane-splitting accident.

Until that moment he'd carried in his head all sorts of comforting reasons (rationalizations) and other bits of 'magical thinking' about how it was safe/okay for a highly skilled individual like himself to lane-split (I won't bother trying to list them all here, our pre-lane-splitting-wreck lane-splitters here on the forum are better at it than I am).

beren
September 9th, 2012, 11:20 AM
way too fast for that condition

By conditions do you mean the rain, or knowingly being in the blind spot of cagers who are likely frustrated by the trafic and looking for any way to get out of it, unlikley to even think of a bike being there, ad very possible distracted by a phone, eating, makeup, other passengers etc?

alex.s
September 9th, 2012, 11:23 AM
The important thing to realize is that right up until the moment his lane-splitting accident occured he was never going to have a lane-splitting accident.

Until that moment he'd carried in his head all sorts of comforting reasons (rationalizations) and other bits of 'magical thinking' about how it was safe/okay for a highly skilled individual like himself to lane-split (I won't bother trying to list them all here, our pre-lane-splitting-wreck lane-splitters here on the forum are better at it than I am).

its fine if you dont understand the rules to lane splitting. its not immediately obvious especially if you aren't around it every day. he didn't follow any of the rules. he was being stupid, wreckless, wasn't doing any checks or corrections. honestly he was making pretty much every mistake he could have made. but its nice that you like to edify your own distaste for the actions of others based on someones uneducated mistake though.

alex.s
September 9th, 2012, 11:25 AM
By conditions do you mean the rain, or knowingly being in the blind spot of cagers who are likely frustrated by the trafic and looking for any way to get out of it, unlikley to even think of a bike being there, ad very possible distracted by a phone, eating, makeup, other passengers etc?

he was going too fast for the traction level caused by the rain. he also wasn't looking at where cars were lining up. if you want to keep from getting hit, you dont go flying by a car with an open spot next to them. ESPECIALLY if their lane is stopped and the other is moving. that's like asking to get hit. anyone who has lane split any decent amount of time knows this is basically rule #1. they aren't going to sideswipe a car.

greg737
September 9th, 2012, 11:30 AM
its fine if you dont understand the rules to lane splitting. its not immediately obvious especially if you aren't around it every day. he didn't follow any of the rules. he was being stupid, wreckless, wasn't doing any checks or corrections. honestly he was making pretty much every mistake he could have made. but its nice that you like to edify your own distaste for the actions of others based on someones uneducated mistake though.

yeah, yeah, whatever you say Alex.

Why does this guy sound so logical and well-considered?

...Because his is.

akima
September 9th, 2012, 11:33 AM
if you want to keep from getting hit, you dont go flying by a car with an open spot next to them. ESPECIALLY if their lane is stopped and the other is moving. that's like asking to get hit. anyone who has lane split any decent amount of time knows this is basically rule #1. they aren't going to sideswipe a car.

+1

I've filtered (lane-splitted) on motorways plenty of times. Whenever I see a gap like that I assume that the drivers adjacent to it will try and dart in. With that assumption made I don't rely on luck, I adjust my speed to ensure I have plenty of time to brake if the driver begins to move.

With all that in mind, I still would place fault on the driver in the video. I personally wouldn't have crashed in that situation because I know that not-being-at-fault doesn't save you from hitting the tarmac if a car sideswipes you; instead you have to ride defensively... something that does save you.

alex.s
September 9th, 2012, 11:35 AM
yeah, yeah, whatever you say Alex.

Why does this guy sound so logical and well-considered?

...Because his is.

this is the problem i have with non-lane-splitters hating on lane-splitting. the way they talk about riding a bike makes it sound as if they are about as unconcious as most of the cages on the road. are you really that unaware of your surroundings that you can't look in someones window and tell where they are looking? are you really that unaware that you can't see if a car has the ability to change lanes into you? i don't mean to come off as a dick, but this is a very big pet peeve of mine. its nice that you think things are out of control, but everything happens with reason and cause. if you ignore the reasons and the causes, things happen in an unpredictable way.

Jiggles
September 9th, 2012, 11:35 AM
Akima, why do you think the car is at fault? As I see it lane splitting is a privilege and not a right. When you lane split you give up your right of way

alex.s
September 9th, 2012, 11:37 AM
+1

I've filtered (lane-splitted) on motorways plenty of times. Whenever I see a gap like that I assume that the drivers adjacent to it will try and dart in. With that assumption made I don't rely on luck, I adjust my speed to ensure I have plenty of time to brake if the driver begins to move.

With all that in mind, I still would place fault on the driver in the video. I personally wouldn't have crashed in that situation because I know that not-being-at-fault doesn't save you from hitting the tarmac if a car sideswipes you; instead you have to ride defensively... something that does save you.

werd.

akima
September 9th, 2012, 11:45 AM
Akima, why do you think the car is at fault? As I see it lane splitting is a privilege and not a right. When you lane split you give up your right of way

In the UK filtering/lane-splitting has never been made illegal. It's something that riders naturally have done since the days when people started straddling internal combustion engines. Like Alex was saying... so long as you you adhere to a set of reasonable principles while lane splitting, it's quite a safe practice. If you commute on a motorway in morning traffic in England and there are traffic jams, you'll see every single biker lane splitting and in most cases, without incident.

I think the car is at fault, because in all mandated driving courses that I know of, drivers are taught to do a mirror check and then a shoulder check before changing lanes. This helps them spot any road users (cars, bicycles, motorcycles etc) that may be in the path you are about to move into. This is a perfectly reasonable thing to expect from someone; to look where you're going! That driver would've seen the ninjette if he simply checked the car mirrors, ie. if they simply looked where they were going before they went there.

Don't get me wrong though... I think the rider is a first-class nooblet! More than me! :eek:

Alex
September 9th, 2012, 11:56 AM

The anti-lane-split brigade is equally as monotonous and deaf to any opinion that doesn't mesh with their limited world view. It's only here in the U.S. where people think of it as some death-defying feat. Do it poorly, and it won't end well. (which applies to just about anything on two wheels).

alex.s
September 9th, 2012, 11:56 AM
In the UK filtering/lane-splitting has never been made illegal. It's something that riders naturally have done since the days when people started straddling internal combustion engines. Like Alex was saying... so long as you you adhere to a set of reasonable principles while lane splitting, it's quite a safe practice. If you commute on a motorway in morning traffic in England and there are traffic jams, you'll see every single biker lane splitting and in most cases, without incident.

I think the car is at fault, because in all mandated driving courses that I know of, drivers are taught to do a mirror check and then a shoulder check before changing lanes. This helps them spot any road users (cars, bicycles, motorcycles etc) that may be in the path you are about to move into. This is a perfectly reasonable thing to expect from someone; to look where you're going! That driver would've seen the ninjette if he simply checked the car mirrors, ie. if they simply looked where they were going before they went there.

Don't get me wrong though... I think the rider is a first-class nooblet! More than me! :eek:

you get a cookie!
http://upload.wikimedia.org/wikipedia/commons/9/9a/Choco_chip_cookie.jpg

akima
September 9th, 2012, 12:00 PM
^ That cookie is beeeautiful

http://fc04.deviantart.net/fs70/i/2012/236/1/4/cookie_by_theangeldragon-d5c9626.gif

menikmati
September 9th, 2012, 12:07 PM
In the rare times that I do lane split, I adjust my speed according to the surrounding traffic so the difference is around 10MPH max. Any gaps longer than a car length I always assume someone will pull out into that spot without signaling.

Eh, duder was going too fast for the road conditions and for lane splitting in general with respect to traffic flow.

Malicious Logic
September 9th, 2012, 03:25 PM
Definitely too fast for those conditions. Kinda messed up that the uploader said "It so annoying motorcycles cut traffic jams. This is how to annoy them back."

Jiggles
September 9th, 2012, 03:34 PM
Z3cSr8imjYg

greg737
September 9th, 2012, 04:26 PM
The anti-lane-split brigade is equally as monotonous and deaf to any opinion that doesn't mesh with their limited world view. It's only here in the U.S. where people think of it as some death-defying feat. Do it poorly, and it won't end well. (which applies to just about anything on two wheels).

I believe most everybody here on the forum has attained a level of self awareness which results in consistently mature decision making and good judgement.

I'm saying, yes, a mature person has a good chance of making it through a lifetime of lane-splitting without incident.

Those lacking maturity never seem to see the "slippery slope" until they find themselves lying at the bottom of it.

When the guy in the video started lane-splitting, and who knows how long ago that was, maybe years or maybe it was just weeks or even days, he was very careful and never took risks. But as time went by he "got better" at lane-splitting. In fact, right before the crash he was a total m-f-'in lane-splittin' ninja.

n4mwd
September 9th, 2012, 04:38 PM
I watched the youtube version that Jiggles posted. All I can say is that I hope the bike pulls through.