View Full Version : Whining/howling noise coming from bike

blades8306
September 11th, 2012, 04:13 PM
A little back story. A few weeks ago I dumped the bike. The chain came loose, locked up the rear wheel and sent me down real quick. Over the weekend I changed the chain and the rear sprocket (was changing the front sprocket but realized I had the wrong front sprocket, hopefully going to change it by next weekend.) Been riding it for the past two days and ever since replacing the parts I hear a clicking sound from the transmission/front sprocket area when I roll the bike forward with the engine off (doesn't do it when the bike is rolled backwards.) I think that's just the teeth on the front sprocket that are a little slanted hitting the new chain. What I'm more worried about is that when there is an actual load on the engine I begin to hear a whining sound that's pitch changed based on engine RPM. The sound doesn't happen when I simply rev the engine, there has to really be a load on it. I don't know if when the bike locked up if the chain seized the transmission for a second and now the bearing is bad which is what I'm worried about. I went to a dealership and the guy said it might just be a regular noise but since I haven't put the front sprocket cover back on yet I'm only now noticing it. I ask because I don't have the time or money to really fix it right now, the bike is my only mode of transportation, and I'm trying to ride about 500 miles in a couple of weeks for some vacation. If you think it is the bearing am I just making it worse? If the bearing goes out when I'm riding will it cause the final drive to lock up sending me back down to the ground?

alex.s
September 11th, 2012, 04:17 PM
i believe you are hearing the starter gear clutch thingy

or maybe one of your transmission bearings is ****ed

wiggle the outputshaft / front sprocket... if it moves at all you know somethings toast.

blades8306
September 11th, 2012, 04:32 PM
There is no play in it at all when I try and move the output shaft. Was the starter gear thing a joke? Don't know much about a bike's starter but if it's anything like a car's it shouldn't be touching when the engine is on.

alex.s
September 11th, 2012, 05:13 PM
maybe try taking the chain off and spinning the front sprocket to see if it still makes a noise

blades8306
September 11th, 2012, 05:15 PM
I wouldn't be able to spin it fast enough. It needs to be under a load. The sound usually isn't noticeable until between 20-50 mph

alex.s
September 11th, 2012, 05:59 PM
the clicking is probably the chain.

whining sounds are bad typically and mean a bearing is done.

alex.s
September 11th, 2012, 05:59 PM
the clicking is probably the chain.

whining sounds are bad typically and mean a bearing is done.

blades8306
September 11th, 2012, 06:01 PM
So theoretically what would happen if I put more miles on the bad bearing and it went bad as I'm going 80 down the highway?

thomason2wheels
September 14th, 2012, 05:57 PM
A little back story. A few weeks ago I dumped the bike. The chain came loose, locked up the rear wheel and sent me down real quick. Over the weekend I changed the chain and the rear sprocket (was changing the front sprocket but realized I had the wrong front sprocket, hopefully going to change it by next weekend.) Been riding it for the past two days and ever since replacing the parts I hear a clicking sound from the transmission/front sprocket area when I roll the bike forward with the engine off (doesn't do it when the bike is rolled backwards.) I think that's just the teeth on the front sprocket that are a little slanted hitting the new chain. What I'm more worried about is that when there is an actual load on the engine I begin to hear a whining sound that's pitch changed based on engine RPM. The sound doesn't happen when I simply rev the engine, there has to really be a load on it. I don't know if when the bike locked up if the chain seized the transmission for a second and now the bearing is bad which is what I'm worried about. I went to a dealership and the guy said it might just be a regular noise but since I haven't put the front sprocket cover back on yet I'm only now noticing it. I ask because I don't have the time or money to really fix it right now, the bike is my only mode of transportation, and I'm trying to ride about 500 miles in a couple of weeks for some vacation. If you think it is the bearing am I just making it worse? If the bearing goes out when I'm riding will it cause the final drive to lock up sending me back down to the ground?

Try replacing the countershaft sprocket with a new one. Sprockets should be changed when you put on a new chain. The worn sprockets will wear a new chain out in a hurry. I bet that will solve your problem.

Whiskey
September 14th, 2012, 06:24 PM
So theoretically what would happen if I put more miles on the bad bearing and it went bad as I'm going 80 down the highway?

Theoretically it siezes up/disintigrates & blows your transmission, you suddenly lose power & grinding bits of metal don't allow you to freewheel, you go down & hope to slide into a ditch.

Or if the chain lets go & gets whipped around it'll go through your engine casing (if you're slightly unlucky) or your leg (if you're really unlucky)

None of the above are much fun I'd say...

blades8306
September 15th, 2012, 05:36 AM
Try replacing the countershaft sprocket with a new one. Sprockets should be changed when you put on a new chain. The worn sprockets will wear a new chain out in a hurry. I bet that will solve your problem.

I plan on it to protect the new chain. Just ordered it. Should arrive Wednesday.

blades8306
September 15th, 2012, 05:40 AM
Theoretically it siezes up/disintigrates & blows your transmission, you suddenly lose power & grinding bits of metal don't allow you to freewheel, you go down & hope to slide into a ditch.

Or if the chain lets go & gets whipped around it'll go through your engine casing (if you're slightly unlucky) or your leg (if you're really unlucky)

None of the above are much fun I'd say...

Yep, that's what I thought. With my luck someone will be rising my ass when it happens, not able to stop in time, and run me over. I'm just trying to get the bike from Orlando, FL to Miami, FL. Do you think I can make the trip before something gives?

Whiskey
September 15th, 2012, 06:00 AM
200+ miles, I wouldn't risk it. rent a trailer, stick it in the back of a pickup, or get it sorted in Orlando & ride it there.

blades8306
September 25th, 2012, 03:10 PM
Well I got down to Miami and back without any repairs and the bike handled extremely well. However, I just replaced the sprocket and sound I was worried about is still there but there is also a new sound. It only happens on decel but it sounds almost like an electric engine slowing down. As a recap I have now replaced the front and rear sprockets and have a new X-ring chain on the bike. All are 520 but the new chain was put on the old front sprocket for about two weeks now. Any ideas?

Ok, so it's not just on decel. When I hit about 45 you can start hearing it. Go any faster and it starts to sound like a siren and gets about as loud as the engine :c

Kurgan
October 3rd, 2012, 03:54 PM
If this truly is a bad main bearing then it's a problem on ALL bikes, because I've had 2 different 2009's and had the same whine in both bikes at the same speed

It's at it's worst around 60mph, then goes away almost completely at exactly 70mph indicated in 6th gear, but comes back again if I go faster.

There's no metal in my oil when I change it so it's not metal to metal friction causing it.

It seems to go away just a little bit after a fresh chain lube, then comes back again full volume about 100 miles after that.

blades8306
October 3rd, 2012, 03:57 PM
The only reason I'm worried is because the sound came after dumping the bike where the transmission might have seized up for a second. I've always replaced both sprockets and chains since then so it could be a natural noise coming from the new chain or front sprocket. I will say that the noise gets much worse if the chain is too tight.