View Full Version : Honda CB500

Pages : [1] 2

Boom King
September 13th, 2012, 05:03 PM
Looks likes Honda is set to release a doubled up version of its CBR250R. Styling should more closely resemble a CBR rather than the VFR like the 250. This particular displacement may only be offered, however, in places such as Europe or the UK where new riders are limited to a certain displacement or hp.

http://www.visordown.com/motorcycle-news-new-bikes/honda-cbr500-and-cb500-leaked/21407.html

Heed
September 13th, 2012, 05:09 PM
I sort of want a CBR 250R but I know the second I buy it, they're going to release a new one that doesn't look like a VFR.

Lil_Green_Demon
September 13th, 2012, 05:11 PM
http://s1.visordown.com/uploads/images/medium/50703.jpg/bmi_orig_img/50703.jpg

If Honda releases a CBR500 with those looks in the USA, they'll have guaranteed me and plenty of others as future Honda sport bike owners.

Heed
September 13th, 2012, 05:13 PM
image isn't working for me at least :(

xSean13
September 13th, 2012, 05:22 PM
I personally love the way the CBR 600RRs look, that's my preferred styling for a supersport. While a 500 would probably win me over for my next bike, if the fairings/styling look like they do in the pics, I definitely won't get one. It looks like a retard hybrid between the 250 and the naked look.

ninjaone
September 13th, 2012, 05:26 PM
Personally I'm hoping the market for bigger bikes with really really crappy suspension and brakes isn't very big. Do you really want a 250 suspension and brake set up on a bike with double the displacement? Personally I think they should make a 250 type bike with better brakes and fully adjustable suspension, so newbs actually understand and get exposed to adjusting suspension travel to suit weight and rider style.

dfox
September 13th, 2012, 05:34 PM
That would pull me in.

rjones91
September 13th, 2012, 07:07 PM
I would love a 500cc bike. But I talked to my Honda dealer yesterday and he doesn't seem to know anything about a 500cc CBR being produced but said if so, don't expect it to be released until 2014. But who knows...

dfox
September 14th, 2012, 03:27 AM
dealers don't tend to know much, the interwebs, as long as you can sift through the garbage, generally has info quicker than dealers. By the time they hear official word, we've all known for weeks if not months.

I will keep the ninjette until someone offers a bike that intrigues me enough. This 500 would do it. The ninja 300 came close, but fell a bit short. I want a high strung, supersport like 400cc bike. doesn't have to be i4, a twin would be fine as long as it's as high strung as the ninjette. even considering going with an older bike and getting a "new age" fairing kit.

Boom King
October 12th, 2012, 11:59 AM
Some updated rumours and possible specs:

Rumours: Honda’s CBR500 will be European Junior Cup’s spec bike (http://cmgonline.com/news/2012/10/09/rumours-hondas-cbr500-will-be-european-junior-cups-spec-bike/)

"...the new Honda will have a 470cc liquid-cooled, parallel twin motor, six-speed transmission, 46.9 bhp, 30 lb/ft of torque, a 31-inch seat height and a 105 mph top speed. Wet weight is supposed to be 430 lbs...

They say the machine will run on a 120/70-17 tire in front and a 160-60-17 unit in rear."

Alex
October 12th, 2012, 12:06 PM
With that much more hp, I'm wondering why the top speed seems a little low. With under 40 hp at the crank, I took the 300 to 102 mph on the GPS without maxing it out; it easily has 105 - 107 mph stock with a me-sized rider on it, and probably a few more with a mini-sized rider on it. With 46 claimed hp for this Honda, I'd expect it would be much closer to 115+ mph top end.

Malicious Logic
October 12th, 2012, 12:10 PM
The first pic looked pretty sexy to me but the second with the naked looked didn't really appeal to me so I guess we'll just have to see what they go with. I personally would probably just keep my ninja until I was ready and then get a CBR600rr. The article actually got my attention when it said the 600rr was due for a style update soon. Didn't know anything about that so I'm definitely interested in seeing what they change...

Boom King
October 12th, 2012, 12:21 PM
Top speed does seem a bit low but didn't the Ninja 500 have 59 bhp and topped out at 110 mph?

Snake
October 12th, 2012, 12:34 PM
If Honda brought back the styling of the 1985 Interceptor V Four 500 they would have a real winner.

http://classic-motorbikes.net/images/gallery/11127.jpg

dfox
October 12th, 2012, 02:48 PM
Top speed seems disappointing. Same with the power numbers. Well see what they actually release.

ninja250r81
October 12th, 2012, 03:03 PM
i think they are doing a full faring cb400

still being lams approved

http://motorcycles.honda.com.au/Naked/CB400_ABS

dfox
October 12th, 2012, 03:15 PM
Actually, looks like those figures are for a detuned 500 that will meet EU learner bike standards. Redline on cbr250.org (who apparently took the photos) said it should be in line with the ER-6, potentially putting it right in my crosshairs.

alex.s
October 12th, 2012, 04:10 PM
With that much more hp, I'm wondering why the top speed seems a little low. With under 40 hp at the crank, I took the 300 to 102 mph on the GPS without maxing it out; it easily has 105 - 107 mph stock with a me-sized rider on it, and probably a few more with a mini-sized rider on it. With 46 claimed hp for this Honda, I'd expect it would be much closer to 115+ mph top end.

squiddddd!!!! :p

Alex
October 12th, 2012, 04:20 PM
(* all speeds mentioned are in meters per hour, and on a closed course to boot) :)

NJ Ninjette
October 12th, 2012, 04:23 PM
Top speed seems disappointing. Same with the power numbers. Well see what they actually release.

The power numbers will fall right max allowed by the license laws in Europe, no question about that. As far as top speed that may be more a question of the proposed gearing than anything else. Very interesting none the less.

tnr4
October 12th, 2012, 04:42 PM
The power numbers are definitely interesting. I'm still thinking that we could probably get the 300 to 40hp or more at the wheel with a full race exhaust and a good tune, and with the small bike feel. Honda would have to do something really special with this bike to make me think seriously about it.

Reswob
October 12th, 2012, 06:51 PM

Over-geared toward acceleration.

Rollo
October 13th, 2012, 12:55 AM
Sounds good on paper. My interest is piqued, but I'll wait and see what comes of it.

Apex
October 13th, 2012, 01:21 AM
My old GS500 would hit 120 no problem. Weird how this one states just over 100. Hmmm...maybe it is a gearing thing. Maybe they want tighter gearing to help the acceleration times, making it feel faster than it really is.

Alex
October 13th, 2012, 08:17 AM
Perhaps, but gearing it like that would mean the engine is revving higher than optimal at normal highway speeds, and much of the attraction to these lower capacity bikes is fuel economy.

ninjaone
October 13th, 2012, 07:29 PM
Anyone expecting this bike to be a high revving exciting screamer is going to be disappointed I think. Given Honda's direction with recent bikes (NC700X, CBR250R, etc.) this will be a budget, economical "rational" bike with easy road manners and a low red line optimized for economy and torque over outright HP.

The totem pole will be CBR250R if you want economy and lowest entry price, Ninja 300 if you want a more expensive high revving screamer, CBR500 if you want an even more expensive bike with a bit more power and usable torque for everyday riding, and the Ninja 650 if you want more of everything.

choneofakind
October 14th, 2012, 09:27 AM
A ninja 300 is a high revving screamer? Dude, pre-gen's rev to over 14k

Whiskey
October 14th, 2012, 11:39 AM
Some updated rumours and possible specs:

Rumours: Honda’s CBR500 will be European Junior Cup’s spec bike (http://cmgonline.com/news/2012/10/09/rumours-hondas-cbr500-will-be-european-junior-cups-spec-bike/)

"...the new Honda will have a 470cc liquid-cooled, parallel twin motor, six-speed transmission, 46.9 bhp, 30 lb/ft of torque, a 31-inch seat height and a 105 mph top speed. Wet weight is supposed to be 430 lbs...

They say the machine will run on a 120/70-17 tire in front and a 160-60-17 unit in rear."
I'd been saying for a long time that there was a new 400 with 47bhp coming out... seems I've been 100cc off both Kawi & Honda's attemptshttp://www.biker.ie/forum/images/smilies/bag.gif

But bang on for the HP :D

The honda will probably be officially announced at Birmingham, I'll be there & should have my camera with me

CC Cowboy
October 14th, 2012, 11:54 AM
With all this talk about these bikes doing the ton I want to know where you would be able to achieve this (and why). Most higway speed limits are 70MPH. I think the max is 85MPH in Texas. So where can you ever go that fast?

Whiskey
October 14th, 2012, 12:26 PM
With all this talk about these bikes doing the ton I want to know where you would be able to achieve this (and why). Most higway speed limits are 70MPH. I think the max is 85MPH in Texas. So where can you ever go that fast?

People obey speed limits:jaw:

Motorway speed limit here is 70mph & it's flagrantly disregarded. I've done the ninja's max speed (about the ton) all the way across the country & have been overtaken at that pace on a number of occasions.

Back home speed limit is 120kph (~77mph) I've taken a mate's Gixxer to 140mph on a tolled motorway, brilliant road, smooth as a racetrack, and as it was tolled I only saw 2 other vehicles on it.

EU Fourth Reich Safety Nazis have decided on a long winded approach to get rid of bikes, part of it is that they are licencing new machines at 3 stages,A1 125cc <11bhp (already in), A2 395-599cc <47bhp & A >650cc with unlimited power. (it can take up to 7 years to get a full A under the new system)

The 500 sits right at the top of the A2 band

Apex
October 14th, 2012, 10:05 PM
Honestly, in Texas, the 250 is really buzzy at highway speeds. At 60mph it is bearable, above that, it is really buzzy.

I'd said it before, I'll say it again, 400's are the PERFECT size for a balance of fuel economy and HP.

I'd own a 400cc single. A twin with a long stroke to bring out the torque would be awesome as well.

nealt
October 15th, 2012, 12:56 PM
I just added a cb-1 to the garage (4 cylinder inline 4 with gear driven cams) of course it's a 1990 bike but it makes almost double the horsepower of the Ninja and the whine of the gears sounds awesome....my naked vfr400...:D

dfox
October 25th, 2012, 10:32 AM
Well I've been following this one closely... Someone snapped a few pictures from obviously what was a photo shoot, probably for the official release.

Looks awesome. I'm very likely to buy one, but it's going to depend on the specs of the US version. Rumor has it, those specs we were looking at were so perfectly fit for the UK regulations because it's much more powerful, but it was regulated down for UK standards.

http://www.motorcyclenews.com/MCN/News/newsresults/General-news/2012/October/oct2512-new-honda-500s-spiedagain/

http://www.motoblog.it/galleria/honda-cbr500-cb500x-e-cb500r-2013-a-sulmona/4

http://static.blogo.it/motoblog/honda-cbr500-cb500x-e-cb500r-2013-a-sulmona/big_GammaHondaCB5002013spyshots6.jpg

Looks like they're going to make an "adventure" style bike out of this chassis too.

choneofakind
October 25th, 2012, 10:39 AM
Hmm, ditch the handles on the back, and it would look good. Worth a look when/if it comes to the US.

bdavison
October 25th, 2012, 10:43 AM
I doubt it will ever see the states.....no reason for honda to make competition for their own 600cc bike. That thing is probably only going to see the UK and India.

Unless they are dumping the 600RR....which is HIGHLY unlikely.

choneofakind
October 25th, 2012, 10:47 AM
It said it was expected to make 47 hp to comply with the new EU laws, and it has standard forks and a monoshock, just like the other non-ss bikes. If they brought it stateside, wouldn't it compete with the CBR250, not the CBR600RR? a 100+ hp SS and a 47 hp twin sport bike are very different animals.

I have no idea what in the world they're thinking though. I'm just a college kid, so everything I say is pure spit-balling. I'll just sit and wait for things to unfold, and drool over cool new bikes when they come out :)

psych0hans
October 25th, 2012, 11:02 AM
I doubt it will ever see the states.....no reason for honda to make competition for their own 600cc bike. That thing is probably only going to see the UK and India.

If it comes to Inda, it's definitely not going to be my second bike... Lol or won't it? Only time will tell... Currently I'm eyeing an ancient 2000 model cbr 919rr... Somehow I'm in love with it's ugliness... Lol
http://i77.photobucket.com/albums/j44/psych0hans/854c2b9e10a217493e36fc614f73c297.jpg
He's expecting an unrealistic amount of money for a 12+ year old bike, but under the highly unlikely even that I do buy it... It's getting a new paint job... Lol

choneofakind
October 25th, 2012, 11:05 AM
a bike made in 2000 is old? holy crap that's what I get for being born at the end of one millennium and growing through the next. 2000 doesn't seem so long ago, but then it's almost 13 years now...

My bike is a '99. I bet you think she's ugly as well? :lol:

psych0hans
October 25th, 2012, 11:12 AM
a bike made in 2000 is old? holy crap that's what I get for being born at the end of one millennium and growing through the next. 2000 doesn't seem so long ago, but then it's almost 13 years now...

My bike is a '99. I bet you think she's ugly as well? :lol:

Only if you take it into perspective :p. A bike made in 2000 is DEFINITELY a hell of a lot older than my 2011 Ninjette. :p And as they say, beauty lies in the eyes of the beholder... I'm more into the new angular sleek looking bikes than the older boxy looking ones... But ever since I laid eyes on this one, I've been obsessing over it... lol I ran into a 1997 model the other day, but that was quiet a badly maintained one, so I guess I didn't dig it too much, but this one looks sweet... He's asking for 7500$ at today's exchange rate, and that's a RIP even in India, where a new one(CBR 1000rr) would cost Slightly over $30,000/- I'll offer him 3k and see if he bites... lol

dfox
October 25th, 2012, 04:13 PM

This is not competition for the 600rr. This is a sport, not super sport. Kawasaki has the ninja 650 and the zx-6R. Yamaha has an sv650 and the r6. This is supposed to be a cheaper alternative to the ninja 650r and SV650.

Boom King
October 25th, 2012, 04:58 PM

Rumour is that in Honda's internal system there are the codes AC and CM beside the model name. AC stands for America 50 state/California and CM is Canada. The person on the CBR forum who originally broke the story apparently has it from reliable source that this bike will indeed appear in North America.

Personally, I don't see how Honda will not introduce this bike over here. It will be the next logical step up for many of their CBR250R owners.

choneofakind
October 25th, 2012, 05:06 PM
This will be an interesting turf war between Kawi and Honda. It's a good time to be riding a small displacement sport bike :)

Seeing how all the rumors about the 300 were actually true and we thought we were just getting trolled, my mind is open to anything at this point.

Jono
October 25th, 2012, 05:24 PM
CBR500>Ninja 300

http://blog.motorcycle.com/wp-content/uploads/2012/10/102512-2013-honda-cbr500-cb500r-cb500x-spy-photos06.jpg

Just when Kawasaki thought they were gonna start dominating the small/middle-ish cc market again. Then here comes Honda's response. I hope this CBR500 comes to the states. Looks like a fun bike and the perfect amount of power for the streets!

menikmati
October 25th, 2012, 05:41 PM
Looks good, almost too good...

Boom King
October 25th, 2012, 05:57 PM
We should all know for certain in about 3 weeks time. Expected Honda announcement on these models November 13 at the EICMA show in Milan.

dfox
October 25th, 2012, 06:13 PM
This one is catching my eye too. Kind of a more sporty nc700x

http://static.blogo.it/motoblog/honda-cbr500-cb500x-e-cb500r-2013-a-sulmona/GammaHondaCB5002013spyshots7.jpg

choneofakind
October 25th, 2012, 06:16 PM
there goes Jono, jumping off the Kawasaki bus again... :p

NJ Ninjette
October 25th, 2012, 06:21 PM
The more I see, the more I'm getting interested for sure. It's going to come down to the price point verses the next step up. My wife continues to think about getting her license and riding the ninjette, so I would get to have both. :thumbup:

Jono
October 25th, 2012, 07:07 PM
there goes Jono, jumping off the Kawasaki bus again... :p

Hey now! It looks like a very nice bike! And I own two Kawasaki's so I am still on the bus. But I can appreciate a nice bike when I see one. Plus I am a fan of Honda. :D

choneofakind
October 25th, 2012, 07:14 PM
Yeah, but you've always liked the CBR250 better than your ninjette, sooooo that means you basically own a cibber and one dopey little Kawi sumo :p

You're a Honda fanboy!! GTFO!!!! :D

jk, that new bike looks pretty nice. It would be a nice addition, just on engine size. We'll give it more judging after we know what features/power/torque/handling that it delivers. The small-medium displacement sport bike competition is turning out nicely. :)

Jono
October 25th, 2012, 07:34 PM
Yeah, but you've always liked the CBR250 better than your ninjette, sooooo that means you basically own a cibber and one dopey little Kawi sumo :p

You're a Honda fanboy!! GTFO!!!! :D

How dare you call my little sumo dopey! :mad: It's more fun to ride than the ninja! (Actually they are about equally fun to ride but the KLX is just a little bit more fun! :p)

Hey, my thoughts on that cibber are changed now. I got to really analyze it in person last month. Haha. One of my best friends, friend bought a CBR250 without his parents knowing. Parents ended up making this guy return the bike to the dealership. Haha. Anywho, this guy was storing the cibber at my friends house and I got to sit on it and stare at it for hours. Also rev'ed it up. It didn't sound bad but I didn't get to ride it, but it did look weird after looking at it for a while. But here is the biggest turn off that nobody has mentioned. The gas cap comes completely off when you unlock it!!!! Then you have to find somewhere to put it as you fill the tank. Like WTF Honda. Haha

jk, that new bike looks pretty nice. It would be a nice addition, just on engine size. We'll give it more judging after we know what features/power/torque/handling that it delivers. The small-medium displacement sport bike competition is turning out nicely. :)

Yes, it shall be judged in the future. :)

choneofakind
October 25th, 2012, 09:43 PM
How dare you call my little sumo dopey! :mad: It's more fun to ride than the ninja! (Actually they are about equally fun to ride but the KLX is just a little bit more fun! :p)

Easy there hotsauce! I'm jelly of your sumo. :( I wish I had one.

Jono
October 25th, 2012, 10:00 PM
Haha. Good, good. :D

Domagoj
October 25th, 2012, 11:04 PM
430 lbs seems a bit on the heavy side. More than a bit.

In any case, another street bike, which offers almost nothing new over the original ninjette except more power and torque.

I would like to see fully adjustable suspension, aluminium frame, clipons, and 350 lbs. Seems one can only get that with 100+ hp and a considerably higher price tag.

00NissanNinja
October 25th, 2012, 11:09 PM
Hmm...Looks alright...I could see them bringing it to the US to steal some sales from the ninja 650r (although will have to wait and see for some actual power numbers to see if its competitive), the ergos look to be a little more sporty than the 650r.

NinjetteNewfie
October 26th, 2012, 03:56 AM
Ahem, calling Yamaha...please make a small displacement bike that looks like the R6...thanks!!! Would have to think they are watching all this hoopla and want in on the L'il bike market.

ChrisMKV
October 26th, 2012, 04:12 AM
I will also be watching this one closely! A reasonably powerful sporty (but not supersport) for commuting would be welcome in my garage.

dfox
October 26th, 2012, 04:34 AM
Ahem, calling Yamaha...please make a small displacement bike that looks like the R6...thanks!!! Would have to think they are watching all this hoopla and want in on the L'il bike market.

search up info on the r25.1, i think is what they're calling it. looks like a 250 with supersport ergonomics.

NinjetteNewfie
October 26th, 2012, 04:40 AM
search up info on the r25.1, i think is what they're calling it. looks like a 250 with supersport ergonomics.

Yeah I saw something about it on a thread here, but nothing like the "rumors" about the possibility of the 300 or now the Honda 500. Yamaha has the 2013 line up on their Candian site no sign of a l'il bike tho. Maybe next year...

dfox
October 26th, 2012, 07:28 AM
the r25.1 just might not be making it to North America, maybe too much competition in a small market for Yamaha to take the leap. All info has pointed to this cbr500 coming here though.

Jono
October 26th, 2012, 08:07 AM
430 lbs seems a bit on the heavy side. More than a bit.

In any case, another street bike, which offers almost nothing new over the original ninjette except more power and torque.

I would like to see fully adjustable suspension, aluminium frame, clipons, and 350 lbs. Seems one can only get that with 100+ hp and a considerably higher price tag.

Yamaha makes something just like that. Minus the clipons and 48 pounds. Yamaha WR250X. You have these were you live? Cause if so, it's what you are looking for.

tnr4
October 26th, 2012, 08:10 AM
The 500 seems too big to be direct competition with the 250/300 class. If the hp is really 47 (and that's not the EU restrictions), then I wouldn't want a bigger bike to gain such small numbers; but if (as seems more likely), the American version will be more powerful, then it seems like competition for the 600/650 class.

I'm hoping for the latter option. A (probably) expensive, bigger, heavier small bike isn't exciting; but a great-looking, light-weight middleweight sounds freaking awesome. I would consider that as a second bike in addition to my 300, as something with a bit more heft and oomph for multi-day trips.

Jiggles
October 26th, 2012, 11:14 AM
CBR500>Ninja 300

http://blog.motorcycle.com/wp-content/uploads/2012/10/102512-2013-honda-cbr500-cb500r-cb500x-spy-photos06.jpg

Just when Kawasaki thought they were gonna start dominating the small/middle-ish cc market again. Then here comes Honda's response. I hope this CBR500 comes to the states. Looks like a fun bike and the perfect amount of power for the streets!

Lol when did they stop dominating? Never? :lol:

oblivion007
October 26th, 2012, 12:01 PM
I'm definitely interested in this bike, even more so that there should be a press release on the 13th of Nov. The weight though really turns me off :(

LoD575
October 26th, 2012, 12:35 PM
News of a CBR500 caught and maintained my curiosity once hearing about it.

I am very interested in what the final release specs will be.

Nemesis
October 26th, 2012, 12:47 PM
If the CBR500 is released in the US that's the bike I'd buy over the Ninja 300. And I know plenty of peeps/racers who would jump ship too. End of story!

Jono
October 26th, 2012, 01:18 PM
Lol when did they stop dominating? Never? :lol:

The past year and a half. You know since that CBR250 was released. I know you think that nobody bought that little cibber but folks actually did. Honda was responsible for the Ninja 300. Without real competition I doubt Kawasaki would have updated the little ninja so quickly. Kawasaki only dominated the small displacement sport bike category for like two decades because they had no real competition. :thumbup:

bdavison
October 26th, 2012, 01:28 PM
This is not competition for the 600rr. This is a sport, not super sport. Kawasaki has the ninja 650 and the zx-6R. Yamaha has an sv650 and the r6. This is supposed to be a cheaper alternative to the ninja 650r and SV650.

Bear in mind....horsepower is not the only factor in people purchasing a bike.

If Honda drops a twin 500 that has the same supersport looks, ergos, and decent suspension on the market that costs less than the 600/RR and garners cheaper insurance rates....sales on the 600/RR will suffer.

I honestly think thats why Kawasaki made the 650R so fugly. If they had stuffed that 650 engine in a ZX frame, sales on the ZX's would have suffered.

Alex
October 26th, 2012, 01:38 PM
It's so hard to get real numbers on things like that. Manufacturers don't release things publicly, at least for free, and the industry groups that release things as aggregate don't provide enough brand by brand comparisons either. But then you see things like the Sport Rider review of the new 300 this month. Read the part with the red arrow, and then try and reconcile that with what we think we know about sportbike sales in the US by brand.

http://www.smugmug.com/photos/i-ZSVGhq2/1/X2/i-ZSVGhq2-X2.jpg

Boom King
October 26th, 2012, 01:45 PM
The 500 seems too big to be direct competition with the 250/300 class. If the hp is really 47 (and that's not the EU restrictions), then I wouldn't want a bigger bike to gain such small numbers; but if (as seems more likely), the American version will be more powerful, then it seems like competition for the 600/650 class.

I'm hoping for the latter option. A (probably) expensive, bigger, heavier small bike isn't exciting; but a great-looking, light-weight middleweight sounds freaking awesome. I would consider that as a second bike in addition to my 300, as something with a bit more heft and oomph for multi-day trips.

I think the CBR250R will remain as Honda's most direct competitor to the Ninja 250/300 as the entry sport bike. If the CBR500 is available over here, it's possible that it could make more hp than the rumoured 47 hp. The 470 cc engine is apparently detuned to meet the new EU restrictions.

KELPHYN
October 26th, 2012, 01:55 PM
Just to stir the pot some more. Single cylinder, 390cc, 45hp, 330lbs.

Whiskey
October 26th, 2012, 01:57 PM
Hmm...Looks alright...I could see them bringing it to the US to steal some sales from the ninja 650r (although will have to wait and see for some actual power numbers to see if its competitive), the ergos look to be a little more sporty than the 650r.

The power will be just under 35kW so 46bhp +/- 1 The bike is primarily aimed at the A2 licence class in Europe (and is currently the only bike suitable for the A2 test in stock form)

The 08 model Ninja 250 was aimed at the soon to be obselete A* class licence in Europe, that's why it's 33bhp & not any higher. It was the only modern bike in the A* category for a year or 2 (until Hyodung & Honda brought out lesser 250s)

What class of idiots are KTM employing? 395cc is the minimum capacity for the A2 class test, they've made a bike that cant be used for the test but is above the power for the lower class licence:rolleyes:

And from a European manufacturer too http://www.biker.ie/forum/images/smilies/bag.gif

The past year and a half. You know since that CBR250 was released. I know you think that nobody bought that little cibber but folks actually did. Honda was responsible for the Ninja 300. Without real competition I doubt Kawasaki would have updated the little ninja so quickly. Kawasaki only dominated the small displacement sport bike category for like two decades because they had no real competition. :thumbup:

Partly the honda 250, but mostly the change in the european licence category meaning the 33bhp limit is going up to 47.

Boom King
October 26th, 2012, 01:59 PM

If Honda drops a twin 500 that has the same supersport looks, ergos, and decent suspension on the market that costs less than the 600/RR and garners cheaper insurance rates....sales on the 600/RR will suffer.

I honestly think thats why Kawasaki made the 650R so fugly. If they had stuffed that 650 engine in a ZX frame, sales on the ZX's would have suffered.

It's possible but I think Honda is betting that any decrease in sales on the 600/RR will be more than made up in sales from the 500. It's not like 600 cc supersports are the bread and butter of sales as they once were. Sales on 600 cc supersports have dropped considerably ever since the global recession. Not just for Honda but for pretty much all the manufacturers. I have seen the word "plummeted" more than once in describing this decrease. The market changes over time and the manufacturers produce models to meet new consumer trends.

But really, the type of consumer that would be considering something like the CBR500 would most likely not make the jump into a 600 cc supersport if Honda didn't produce a middle displacement sport bike. More likely, the rider will jump ship and look at something like the Ninja 650 or Yamaha FZ6R. The CBR500 will give loyal CBR250R riders a reason to stay with Big Red when they want to upgrade and don't need the track/race oriented design of a SS.

dfox
October 26th, 2012, 02:06 PM

I do not agree.

Most people don't only go for one brand when looking for a bike. They walk into a dealership that has Hondas, Kawis, and yamis. If they're looking at the 600ss, there's three options. If they're looking at 600 sports, there's only two. Honda used to have options there, not currently. I bet they realized loss of sales, and decided to build a bike that would undercut the other 600 sport options, as its a rapidly growing class. This will not be a 500cc super sport. Look at the brakes, single front means no super sport, likely no adjustable suspension. Look at the grips, theyre up like a sport, not down like a super sport.

dfox
October 26th, 2012, 02:08 PM

They dropped the duke from the USA a few years back. I doubt theyll offer it here. If they do though, my mind might change, the duke is beautiful.

KELPHYN
October 26th, 2012, 02:12 PM
What class of idiots are KTM employing? 395cc is the minimum capacity for the A2 class test, they've made a bike that cant be used for the test but is above the power for the lower class licence:rolleyes:

And from a European manufacturer too http://www.biker.ie/forum/images/smilies/bag.gif

Hmmmm....maybe it's not for Europe/ UK. :rolleyes:

Whiskey
October 26th, 2012, 02:27 PM
I do not agree.

Most people don't only go for one brand when looking for a bike. They walk into a dealership that has Hondas, Kawis, and yamis. If they're looking at the 600ss, there's three options. If they're looking at 600 sports, there's only two. Honda used to have options there, not currently. I bet they realized loss of sales, and decided to build a bike that would undercut the other 600 sport options, as its a rapidly growing class. This will not be a 500cc super sport. Look at the brakes, single front means no super sport, likely no adjustable suspension. Look at the grips, theyre up like a sport, not down like a super sport.

They have, the CBR600f was reintroduced in 2011

Hmmmm....maybe it's not for Europe/ UK. :rolleyes:

Europe is their main market, it fits the capacity & power requirements for the licence itself, but the test requires >395cc.

They already have 3 sizes of Duke in Europe, 0 in the US. they have 32 models of bike in the US, 46 in Europe/UK. Where do you think is getting it? :rolleyes:

choneofakind
October 26th, 2012, 02:35 PM
Yamaha has the R6, and the FZ6/FZ6R.

dfox
October 26th, 2012, 02:42 PM
They have, the CBR600f was reintroduced in 2011

Not state side they don't. They've got nothing.

Whiskey
October 26th, 2012, 02:42 PM
Yamaha has the R6, and the FZ6/FZ6R.

And the XJ-6 diversion, which is a half or full faired bike with the old R6 motor (same as the FZ6 & FZ6R)

Whiskey
October 26th, 2012, 02:49 PM

Pity, its a tasty sports machine & apparently a capable sports tourer, I'd take it over the 500 anyday

http://rmreview.com.my/wp-content/uploads/2010/12/2011-HONDA-CBR-600F-SUPERBIKE-2-500x364.jpg

http://www.fastbikesmag.com/files/2010/11/CBF-2.jpg

Alex
October 26th, 2012, 02:57 PM

They don't have anything that matches up exactly, but they are promoting the NC700X (http://powersports.honda.com/2012/nc700x.aspx) and its variants to play a similar role. A cheap ($6999), fuel-efficient, fun do-it-all bike for people who don't want a supersport or a larger touring bike.

Their marketing blurb from that link:

Honda’s new NC700X is a real breath of fresh air in today’s world of specialized motorcycles, a new concept in streetbikes, and one that puts the FUN in Functional. During the week it’s an awesome commuter. On the weekend it lets you go exploring in the country, or carve up a twisty canyon road. Light, nimble, and with an engine that offers a generous helping of useable torque, it’s all wrapped up in a package that’s big enough for longer rides, but not a handful in tight traffic or in a parking lot. And to sweeten the deal, it’s even available in two versions: one model features a conventional six-speed, manual-clutch transmission, while a second version is available with the latest generation of Honda’s exclusive automatic Dual Clutch Transmission (DCT). Plus, the DCT version comes with Honda’s revolutionary Combined ABS!

dfox
October 26th, 2012, 03:08 PM
That cbr600f is a beauty. I'd buy that for sure.

The nc700x is nice, but not for me. Looked at it in person, and would much rather have a ninja 650.

rjones91
October 26th, 2012, 03:49 PM
Curious of pricing as that would be one of the deciding factors for me if I jumped to this beauty. But if its closer in price to the 600 I'll wait.

Whiskey
October 26th, 2012, 04:06 PM
Curious of pricing as that would be one of the deciding factors for me if I jumped to this beauty. But if its closer in price to the 600 I'll wait.

CBR600F 7300 new

CBR600RR 8900 new

Ninja 250 4700 new

ER6F (Ninja 650) 6100 new

*All prices in £ sterling & from the very expensive country I'm in*

choneofakind
October 26th, 2012, 07:56 PM
Pity, its a tasty sports machine & apparently a capable sports tourer, I'd take it over the 500 anyday

Damn, good looking bike!

ninjaone
October 27th, 2012, 02:50 PM
If the CBR500 is released in the US that's the bike I'd buy over the Ninja 300. And I know plenty of peeps/racers who would jump ship too. End of story!

I don't really understand why? In fact I don't understand why anyone would pick a CBR 500 over a Ninja 300, especially as a starter bike. The CBR500 will slot between the Ninja 300 and Ninja 650 in price. If all you wanted was more power, why not spend a little extra money and get a properly exciting sporty bike like the Ninja 650. If you just want to learn, a Ninja 300 is a much better platform to learn on then a bike which is heavier and more expensive and not much faster. If you want to race, both the Ninja 300 and CBR 500 are horrible choices, as there is no 300 or 500 racing class - you are better off on a used Ninja 250 or a supersport 600.

ninjaone
October 27th, 2012, 02:52 PM

I just checked the Honda Canada website. Wow, CBF600, CB1000, CB1000R - all offered with ABS. Why do they offer so much more choice to Canadians? They don't even offer ABS on the CB1000R down here. :confused:

Whiskey
October 27th, 2012, 03:20 PM

As a race bike it's probably the worst choice. It's going to be severely underpowered.

The current racing class for twins is 650cc, the ER6f & SV are both far more powerful & sports orientated. look at the supertwin class in the IOMTT.

The 500 is a bike designed to fill a specific market slot (EU A2 class, 395-600cc & below 35kW) as cheaply & quickly as possible.

eddieA6987
October 29th, 2012, 08:46 PM
Chrck this out finnaly more pics of the rummored 500 from honda

http://www.shift518.com/showthread.php?p=996431#post996431

To get a 500 i would rather just go for a 600
A 450 would hit the sweet spot. But i love my 300 as of right now.

Alex
October 29th, 2012, 08:54 PM
/threads merged

Jiggles
October 29th, 2012, 08:55 PM
/threads merged

This caused me to experience some weirdness! I thought ninjette had pooped itself

choneofakind
October 29th, 2012, 08:58 PM
To get a 500 i would rather just go for a 600
A 450 would hit the sweet spot. But i love my 300 as of right now.

Very different bikes. Besides the number 500 physically being closer on the number line to 600 than a 250, they really are two completely different animals.

The 500 is a twin, 600's are inline 4's.

The 500 is a sport, with comfy ride, standard fork, etc. 600 is a supersport with inverted forks, massive brakes, and a very rigid frame, set up for full-on racetrack aggression.

eddieA6987
October 29th, 2012, 09:01 PM
Very different bikes. Besides the number 500 physically being closer on the number line to 600 than a 250, they really are two completely different animals.

The 500 is a twin, 600's are inline 4's.

The 500 is a sport, with comfy ride, standard fork, etc. 600 is a supersport with inverted forks, massive brakes, and a very rigid frame, set up for full-on racetrack aggression.

Gosh you have the inside scoop on specs of that 500 how about price?

choneofakind
October 29th, 2012, 09:12 PM
Gosh you have the inside scoop on specs of that 500 how about price?

Gosh you have a wonderful grasp of how to deliver sarcasm. Do you know how to look at pictures to see what kind of forks/frame are on a bike? Or how about how to read through a thread full of links that have information about the bike?

Take a look at the picture below. It's not hard to see that this isn't a supersport.
Risers instead of clipons.
standard forks instead of inverted forks.
single front brake instead of dual disks.
skinny swingarm instead of beefy one.
not the same style frame they use the on the CBR600 and all other supersports
Comfy looking rearsets instead of high and back-swept ones
passenger handles.
Also, the blogs in the links talk about a doubled cbr250 engine, which makes a 500cc twin, not an inline-4.
http://static.blogo.it/motoblog/honda-cbr500-cb500x-e-cb500r-2013-a-sulmona/big_GammaHondaCB5002013spyshots6.jpg

Jiggles
October 29th, 2012, 09:23 PM
http://i21.photobucket.com/albums/b276/seanvoight/917397_zpsb0db7275.jpg

choneofakind
October 29th, 2012, 09:29 PM
:laugh:ing at Jiggs

Whiskey
November 1st, 2012, 04:14 PM
Gosh you have a wonderful grasp of how to deliver sarcasm. Do you know how to look at pictures to see what kind of forks/frame are on a bike? Or how about how to read through a thread full of links that have information about the bike?

Take a look at the picture below. It's not hard to see that this isn't a supersport.
Risers instead of clipons.
standard forks instead of inverted forks.
single front brake instead of dual disks.
skinny swingarm instead of beefy one.
not the same style frame they use the on the CBR600 and all other supersports
Comfy looking rearsets instead of high and back-swept ones
passenger handles.
Also, the blogs in the links talk about a doubled cbr250 engine, which makes a 500cc twin, not an inline-4.

It'll be minimum 175kg (386lbs same as a 600rr) to conform to EU's A2 class regs which put a maximum power to weight of 0.2kW/kg, but I've heard rumours that it's actually closer to 195kg (430lbs) meaning it's barely above the P/W that the ninja is putting out.

Peanut_EOD
November 1st, 2012, 05:42 PM

I will protest you!:crash::flipthebird:

Nemesis
November 1st, 2012, 06:51 PM
I will protest you!:crash::flipthebird:

Haters are gonna hate.

Redgeneral
November 2nd, 2012, 05:41 AM
They don't have anything that matches up exactly, but they are promoting the NC700X (http://powersports.honda.com/2012/nc700x.aspx) and its variants to play a similar role. A cheap ($6999), fuel-efficient, fun do-it-all bike for people who don't want a supersport or a larger touring bike.

Their marketing blurb from that link:

I've ridden the NC700X at a honda demo day, and it was very uninspiring. It may be because I first rode a 600rr and then a 1000rr, then jumped on the NC.

But it had a rev limiter at either 7k or 8k rpm, which felt like I was barely getting any power out of each gear.

alex.s
November 2nd, 2012, 09:25 AM
I've ridden the NC700X at a honda demo day, and it was very uninspiring. It may be because I first rode a 600rr and then a 1000rr, then jumped on the NC.

But it had a rev limiter at either 7k or 8k rpm, which felt like I was barely getting any power out of each gear.

i think that is standard for that class of bike

Boom King
November 3rd, 2012, 11:45 PM
Looks like Honda is definitely ready to announce more new models in about a weeks time...

Honda Powersports (http://powersports.honda.com/)

dfox
November 5th, 2012, 10:38 AM
while all this wait has grown my desire to own one of these, it's also made me re-consider buying new. Not sure if building anticipation is a good thing or a bad thing overall for them...

xtrapsi
November 11th, 2012, 10:24 AM
Looks like Honda is definitely ready to announce more new models in about a weeks time...

Honda Powersports (http://powersports.honda.com/)

15 hours to go on the countdown.
Lets see what tomorrow brings. :)

rusninja
November 11th, 2012, 11:05 AM

Like 170cc bump and 8 hp isnt much on the 50lbs lighter and 39bhp Its just the tq # that will get the 300 >.<

choneofakind
November 11th, 2012, 11:28 AM
Like 170cc bump and 8 hp isnt much on the 50lbs lighter and 39bhp Its just the tq # that will get the 300 >.<

Torque rocks. Don't underestimate torque. sv1000's have about the same peak hp as an R6, but they have massive torque and rip through turns.

rusninja
November 11th, 2012, 12:05 PM
Im not dissing the tq >.<

josefmd
November 11th, 2012, 02:10 PM
Nice count down!! It shows 0:0:0 So when is the unveiling?

NJ Ninjette
November 11th, 2012, 02:18 PM
Nice count down!! It shows 0:0:0 So when is the unveiling?

Mine shows 11:42 left, I'm guessing it will be like mid-morning UK time ;)

LoD575
November 11th, 2012, 02:26 PM
Im showing 11:35 left to go. Looking forward to it.

Jono
November 11th, 2012, 10:06 PM
Less than 4 hrs! lolz

psych0hans
November 12th, 2012, 01:59 AM
Soooo.... It's a reality... CBR 500R
2013 Honda CBR500R First Look (http://www.motorcycle-usa.com/624/14856/Motorcycle-Article/2013-Honda-CBR500R-First-Look.aspx)

Monkeytofu
November 12th, 2012, 02:11 AM
Soooo.... It's a reality... CBR 500R
2013 Honda CBR500R First Look (http://www.motorcycle-usa.com/624/14856/Motorcycle-Article/2013-Honda-CBR500R-First-Look.aspx)

Just because Honda put some decals and their logo on a white ninja 300 doesn't mean they've made a new bike.

They're obviously pulling off the same crap HP did when they started selling HP branded iPods back when iPods were still used.

psych0hans
November 12th, 2012, 02:28 AM
Just because Honda put some decals and their logo on a white ninja 300 doesn't mean they've made a new bike.

They're obviously pulling off the same crap HP did when they started selling HP branded iPods back when iPods were still used.

LOL you're kidding right? It's on the Honda website as well... 2013 CBR 500R (http://powersports.honda.com/2013/cbr500r.aspx)

rojoracing53
November 12th, 2012, 07:02 AM
Sure it's only a 500 but it wieghs as much as the 1000 so why do they insist on single rotor 2 piston caliper brakes? Is it to much to ask for dual 4 piston 300mm brakes?

csmith12
November 12th, 2012, 07:07 AM
Torque rocks. Don't underestimate torque. sv1000's have about the same peak hp as an R6, but they have massive torque and rip through turns.

With a good pilot, sv1000's are a tough customer, even for an R6. You have to pass em on entry and get a really good drive out or they will motor you on exit.

ninjaone
November 12th, 2012, 07:13 AM
Maybe now the incessent whining will stop from people who wanted a 250 but "just a little more power". Now between Honda and Kawasaki they have you covered from 250 to 300 to 500 to 650. What's your excuse now? :D

dfox
November 12th, 2012, 07:34 AM
looks like the naked one will be coming to the states too! i want to see power numbers.

although, with a potential house purchase in my near future, a used SV650 might be a better financial decision.

psych0hans
November 12th, 2012, 07:59 AM
looks like the naked one will be coming to the states too! i want to see power numbers.

Yeah, even I found the lack of power figures to be weird... Maybe they will have different power numbers for the uk and other markets? Considering the uk A2 license norms...

ninjaone
November 12th, 2012, 08:23 AM
Seems like the power figures were released during the pre EICMA announcements:

Like the Honda CBR500R & Honda CB500F, the Honda CB500X uses the same modest liquid-cooled, fuel-injected, DOHC, 180° crank, parallel-twin motor that will put down 54hp at the wheel for the US market (tiered-license countries will see a 47hp machine).

http://www.asphaltandrubber.com/bikes/2013-honda-cb500x/#more-37111

LoD575
November 12th, 2012, 09:12 AM
I am liking the 500R and the updated 600RR.

Looking forward to some first impressions and ride reports of both.

ninjaone
November 12th, 2012, 09:14 AM
I am liking the 500R and the updated 600RR.

Looking forward to some first impressions and ride reports of both.

Yeah I really like the look of the new 600RR. I'm digging the old school style head lights. It really separates it from all the other angular style sport bikes.

sharky nrk
November 12th, 2012, 09:18 AM
I think it is a smart move for Honda considering the gaps they had in their lineup. It does make cross shopping a bit difficult though for the consumer. You really end up with a senario like mentioned before 250->300->500->650->700 with alot of overlap across bikes with power/price concessions

Jono
November 12th, 2012, 09:30 AM
$5,999 for the CBR500R

and

$5,499 for the CB500F

Not bad, not bad at all. Of course I WON'T be buying one because with that kinda of money I could get a used 600 SS! :D

I am intrigued by the CB500X. I would love to have an affordable, reliable adventure bike to explore the US.
http://powersports.honda.com/assets/flash/model/gallery/CB500X_2013_01.jpg

Jono
November 12th, 2012, 09:49 AM
Sure it's only a 500 but it wieghs as much as the 1000 so why do they insist on single rotor 2 piston caliper brakes? Is it to much to ask for dual 4 piston 300mm brakes?

It's only about 50 pounds heavier than the Ninja 300. I don't see why it would need dual rotors. It's not a SS and it won't need to be slowed down from 130+mph. The 500 is made to be a practical sport bike. Not a race machine. I think people will be fine with their single rotor 2 piston caliper brakes. Look at us ninjette riders, we have made it just fine.

rojoracing53
November 12th, 2012, 10:12 AM
It's only about 50 pounds heavier than the Ninja 300. I don't see why it would need dual rotors. It's not a SS and it won't need to be slowed down from 130+mph. The 500 is made to be a practical sport bike. Not a race machine. I think people will be fine with their single rotor 2 piston caliper brakes. Look at us ninjette riders, we have made it just fine.

Maybe I ride my bike harder then most but I hate my ninja 250 brakes. I guess if you have never experienced good brake before then you'll never miss it.

sc37
November 12th, 2012, 10:21 AM
This definitely makes my decision a little tougher for next season! I flirted with the Ninja 650 but glad I held off. I was really intrigued by the NC700X as a commuter but these 500s, especially in that price range, grabs my attention more. I don't see myself riding a supersport so these new bikes are right up my alley.

ninjaone
November 12th, 2012, 10:34 AM
Maybe I ride my bike harder then most but I hate my ninja 250 brakes. I guess if you have never experienced good brake before then you'll never miss it.

IMO people make a big deal about the technical specification of the brakes (# of rotors, # of disks, monobloc vs floating) - but the things that matter are feel for trust and effectiveness. I've experienced floating single disc brakes which can stop better then monoblocs, just based on feel and trust.

I agree the brakes on budget bikes are usually god awful, but it's not so much the actual technical specification as much as the brake system components are budget, and the pads themselves are usually the cheapest you can get.

Nemesis
November 12th, 2012, 10:37 AM
Soon as it hits my dealer I'm buying one.

rojoracing53
November 12th, 2012, 10:43 AM
IMO people make a big deal about the technical specification of the brakes (# of rotors, # of disks, monobloc vs floating) - but the things that matter are feel for trust and effectiveness. I've experienced floating single disc brakes which can stop better then monoblocs, just based on feel and trust.

I agree the brakes on budget bikes are usually god awful, but it's not so much the actual technical specification as much as the brake system components are budget, and the pads themselves are usually the cheapest you can get.

No actualy for what is on the bike I think they work great but its just a far cry from what I'd like to feel when I go into a turn hard on the binders. I should probably just go by an R-6 and remove the two outside spark plugs

Jono
November 12th, 2012, 11:29 AM

I know what you mean. But not all single rotor brakes suck. My KLX 250SF has an awesome twin-piston caliper with a 300 mm petal disc up front. It has a way better feel than my 06 Ninja 250.

No actualy for what is on the bike I think they work great but its just a far cry from what I'd like to feel when I go into a turn hard on the binders. I should probably just go by an R-6 and remove the two outside spark plugs

Or buy the 500 and do a front end swap off a CBR600. :thumbup:

oblivion007
November 12th, 2012, 11:58 AM
What do you guys think are the main differences in the three bikes that account for their different model names and price tags? I'm really considering getting one of these as my next commuter bike if I can't find a cb400.

Whiskey
November 12th, 2012, 01:43 PM
The CBR600RR is an atrocity of a machine, at least from certain angles.

Side on it looks like the Alien's face

http://powersports.honda.com/assets/flash/model/gallery/CBR600RR_2013_11.jpg

http://www.mwctoys.com/images/review_18alien_3.jpg

Alex
November 12th, 2012, 01:50 PM
The 600RR does feel like a bit of a disappointment to me. It was redesigned almost completely in 2007, immediately jumped to the head of the class, but has steadily fallen backwards as time passes. This minor redesign for 2013 is still so itty-bitty, that you wonder how much of its development budget is still aimed at its supersport bikes. At this rate, the 2015 model 600RR will not be significantly different from the 2007 model. Compare that to where Honda's 600 was in 1999, and how far it came to get to that 2007 iteration.

TrueFaith
November 12th, 2012, 02:34 PM
I'm less than impressed with the 500R. The thing it reminds me most of is the Kawasaki Ninja500 and they phased that out due to lack of interest. I don't know why Honda would attempt what Kawi couldn't do by marketing such a vanilla 500. I was hoping it would be a bit more radical in styling and lighter than a 600.
I'm sort of hoping Yamaha will jump in with a 400 that will smoke both these new Hondas as well as the Ninja 300 by offering a bike with all the current tech and less attention to keeping the price as low as possible.

tnr4
November 12th, 2012, 02:40 PM
I'll be interested to see the economy numbers on the 500. Honda did an impressive job with the NC700 -- averaging better fuel economy than our 300s do -- but had to sacrifice some personality for it. If the 500 performs better than the 300 by a margin, is a bit more comfortable for longer riding, and still eeks out close to the 300s economy numbers, they would have my interest.

Personally, I'm jazzed about the new small-displacement ground war!

Boom King
November 12th, 2012, 02:50 PM
I'm liking the Honda red (ABS):

http://www.cycleworld.com/wp-content/uploads/2012/11/2013-Honda-CBR500R_metabox.jpg
http://3.bp.blogspot.com/-ossWAKuEtkM/UKEHRyDS4_I/AAAAAAAAFOg/mnjFJvjW-pc/s640/2013-Honda-CBR500R-ABS-Red.jpg

The all chrome exhaust looks dated and out of place but that can be fixed. Looking forward to reading some riding reports. I'm wondering with the fairing design if all the engine heat is going to be directed right at the knees of the rider.

sharky nrk
November 12th, 2012, 02:52 PM
You have to think also that this fills in alot of gaps in Honda's offerings, regardless of what the other three are doing. Honda just didn't have a sporty/standard/adv entry bike and now they have more options than to shake a stick at. If I was in the market for a new bike, I would be looking heavily at them.

hirubhaiambani
November 12th, 2012, 02:57 PM
I am digging the new CB1100. Old school awesomeness with modern technology :D

adouglas
November 12th, 2012, 02:58 PM
I'm less than impressed with the 500R. The thing it reminds me most of is the Kawasaki Ninja500 and they phased that out due to lack of interest. I don't know why Honda would attempt what Kawi couldn't do by marketing such a vanilla 500.

I had an EX500 (same thing as the Ninja 500) and it was a great bike. It died more because the 650 was (and is) aimed squarely at the same market segment. Choice: A fresh design with a bigger, more powerful engine, or 1980s styling and a smaller motor? Of course it got killed.

They could have done what they did with the Ninjette and had a winner. A Ninja 500R styled like the newgen 250? I'd have been all over that like crabs on Snooki.

robmilchling
November 12th, 2012, 03:03 PM
I'm really excited to see the naked 500 come to the states as well, but it may be going up against a fortified contender in the Gladius as Suzuki will be re-releasing it for 2013 so hopefully it'll get a true chance. I'm hoping to catch a chance to ride the new line up from Honda, especially the CB1100. I've been wishing for this come to the states and it looks like it finally is.

MY BODY IS READY

Alex
November 12th, 2012, 03:03 PM
http://cdn.memegenerator.net/instances/400x/9947877.jpg

Jono
November 12th, 2012, 04:07 PM
I'm wondering with the fairing design if all the engine heat is going to be directed right at the knees of the rider.

Don't worry, if that's the case (which hopefully it isn't) then they have a solution to your problem. And it's $500 cheaper. :p

http://powersports.honda.com/assets/flash/model/gallery/CB500F_2013_08.jpg

choneofakind
November 12th, 2012, 04:21 PM
I like what I see of the new 500. The new 600RR is going to need some time to grow on me. I like the tail a lot better since it has the light in the tail instead of on the fender, but the front end is one that only a mother could love from the side. I like the big piston fork, and I like that they kept the under-tail exhaust/ I'm also wondering what "line-beam headlights" are? Is that just a Halogen projector? Other than that, it seems like it's the same old cibber in new fairings.

It's wearing a 120 front and 160 rear. Why not just do a front end swap with an older CBR600 and swap the rear wheel to match? Then you'd have dual disks and cool rims.

dfox
November 12th, 2012, 06:30 PM
Don't worry, if that's the case (which hopefully it isn't) then they have a solution to your problem. And it's $500 cheaper. :p

that is one tasty machine :thumbup:.

Motofool
November 12th, 2012, 07:03 PM
that is one tasty machine :thumbup:.

Only black or white........:mad:

dfox
November 12th, 2012, 07:38 PM
Only black or white........:mad:

I'm a sucker for white bikes, especially naked ones. A coworker has a brand new monster in white. I drool on it every time he rides in.

Broc
November 12th, 2012, 08:33 PM
It's about time Honda! Loving the new line up! Just feels like they almost got it... I'd like to see a little lighter and more powerful bikes......

The CBR500 and CB500 are going to make a lovely affordable option for some. While on the heavy side, Honda is king of mass centralization. My 490 lbs monster feels 250ish once rolling. Look to be great commuter bikes with tons of ability. Hopefully Honda doesn't kill a good thing with crazy prices.

Now, I completely disagree with everyone on the CBR600RR. That bike is beautiful, especially in the HRC Tri-color! So what it got a face and suspension lift, Honda is notorious for not messing with a good thing. It is not out of line for them to run a power-train package for up to a decade(average is about 5 years, I believe.) You can bet they are perfecting the next generation power trains during that time.

Plus...did you see the CB1100? The old man in me wants one of those things so bad!

psych0hans
November 12th, 2012, 09:29 PM
The CBR500R doesn't look clipon friendly... Raised clipons for this too? I wonder if the SV clipons will be a direct fit...

Jiggles
November 12th, 2012, 09:41 PM
I'm a sucker for white women, especially naked ones. A coworker has a brand new monster in white. I drool on her every time he rides in.

;)

choneofakind
November 13th, 2012, 12:25 AM
I know this thread is focused on the 500 and not the 600, but the more I look at the 600, the more I'm digging it. From the front, it looks like the previous era R6:
http://powersports.honda.com/images/nextgeneration/bikes/CBR600RR-06-1200x716.jpg

Aggrotech
November 13th, 2012, 06:18 AM
pfft why are you guys talking about some ugly baby cbr600 when you could be talking about the MV Agusta Brutale 800. Sexiest naked bike ever.

sharky nrk
November 13th, 2012, 06:24 AM
Meh, still not digging the new 600RR, I really liked the look of the last gen front end, this one kind of looks like an afterthough. Maybe in person though? The CBR500 is really capturing my attention though. Not going to buy any new bike soon but it does have me thinking lol.

rjones91
November 13th, 2012, 06:25 AM
The CBR 500 just looks like the teenage version of the 2013 CBR 250...really wish they would have semi styled it after the CBR 600, but whatever. I would upgrade to it either way. I prefer black bikes but that red in the 500cc is sweeeeeeet.

Now if Kawasaki brings back the 500 ninja with a new body style I would definitely go with that over the Honda CBR.

psych0hans
November 13th, 2012, 06:26 AM
Meh, still not digging the new 600RR, I really liked the look of the last gen front end, this one kind of looks like an afterthough. Maybe in person though? The CBR500 is really capturing my attention though. Not going to buy any new bike soon but it does have me thinking lol.

When you have a bike as sexy as yours, how can you even consider "digging" the new ceeber? lol

seanshawnS
November 13th, 2012, 06:28 AM
pfft why are you guys talking about some ugly baby cbr600 when you could be talking about the MV Agusta Brutale 800. Sexiest naked bike ever.

Likelihood of ownership :p

I'm really excited to see the naked 500 come to the states as well, but it may be going up against a fortified contender in the Gladius as Suzuki will be re-releasing it for 2013 so hopefully it'll get a true chance. I'm hoping to catch a chance to ride the new line up from Honda, especially the CB1100. I've been wishing for this come to the states and it looks like it finally is.

MY BODY IS READY

I'm excited to see this girl too. Although I'm still leaning small displacement for a retro inspired bike. Bonneville, v7 classic/stone or an old cb350-400.

Blake B
November 13th, 2012, 09:06 AM

the styling of the bike :thumbup:

the front headlight :eek:

sharky nrk
November 13th, 2012, 09:12 AM
When you have a bike as sexy as yours, how can you even consider "digging" the new ceeber? lol

lol, I do love my 6R but you can never have too many bikes :D

Whiskey
November 13th, 2012, 09:36 AM
Honda needs to sack it's design team & get someone competent, the CBR 600f is the best of the bunch, and it's the new cruiser goldwing is the best looking of the new ones...

When a sportsbike fan prefers a cheaper sport tourer & a cruiser they'll never buy to your brand new supersport there's a problem. When your competitor puts a slipper clutch on a 300, but you don't foot one to your race rep there's a problem

Boom King
November 13th, 2012, 09:59 AM

The new models just appeared on the Honda Powersports Canada website this morning. The CB500F is not available here in white or black but rather in candy ruby red.

http://motorcycle.honda.ca/assets/Models/2013/cb500f/cb500f_12903_r151c_u____candy_red_front.png?Crop=auto&maxwidth=730&maxheight=370

Jiggles
November 13th, 2012, 10:31 AM
The CBR 500 just looks like the teenage version of the 2013 CBR 250...really wish they would have semi styled it after the CBR 600, but whatever. I would upgrade to it either way. I prefer black bikes but that red in the 500cc is sweeeeeeet.

Now if Kawasaki brings back the 500 ninja with a new body style I would definitely go with that over the Honda CBR.

Uhm.... They have a ninja 650

thisisbenji
November 13th, 2012, 11:02 AM
Uhm.... They have a ninja 650

+1

Yet, I'm actually more interested in this than the Ninja 650.

adouglas
November 13th, 2012, 11:39 AM
Been looking closely at the photos and specs.

41mm forks. Should be some interesting upgrade options that don't require futzing with the headstock... weren't 41mm forks common on supersports before the BPF arrived?

Bars look like raised clip-ons attached above the triple as opposed to a plain handlebar. So finding clip-ons that will work should be a snap... plain ones attached above or risers attached below. Looks like there's plenty of body clearance, too.

WTF... I can't see anywhere on the swing arm to attach spools. how the heck are we supposed to lift the bike for servicing?

Jiggles
November 13th, 2012, 12:09 PM
What I like about the 500 is that it fills the void between the 300/650. The 500 is not a direct competitor with either the 300 nor 650 in terms of power or price. It's significantly heavier and more expensive than the 300 and significantly cheaper and lighter than the 650. If this 500 had been out when I was looking for a second bike it would have been seriously looked at (provided of course it comes in black :D)

I hope to see more sport twins under 650cc's in the future

Newgen 250 will always be #1 though

thisisbenji
November 13th, 2012, 12:15 PM
I can't wait to see what the torque curve looks like. The one thing that is bugging me is that it's power-to-weight ratio isn't much better than the Ninja 300, but keeping in mind that it'll likely be lower reving and that it has quite a bit more torque it might be more livable on a daily basis for my needs.

Motofool
November 13th, 2012, 12:19 PM
.......It's significantly heavier and more expensive than the 300.......

Please explain with figures.

Jiggles
November 13th, 2012, 12:27 PM
Please explain with figures.

Ninja 300 -- 375lbs --- $4800 --- 34hp
Honda 500 - 425lbs --- $6000 --- 45-50hp +50lbs --- +$1200
Ninja 650 -- 460lbs --- $7600 --- 70hp --- +35lbs --- +$1600

Boom King
November 13th, 2012, 12:42 PM
According to a preview done in one our national news papers here, Honda is claiming that these 471cc machines will get 3.7L/100 km or 63.6 MPG.

seanshawnS
November 13th, 2012, 01:40 PM
Ninja 300 -- 375lbs --- $4800 --- 34hp
Honda 500 - 425lbs --- $6000 --- 45-50hp +50lbs --- +$1200
Ninja 650 -- 460lbs --- $7600 --- 70hp --- +35lbs --- +$1600

That seems negligible rather than significant. Especially the weight, the Ninja is too light for me. Maybe it's a coastal thing, but I could go for something a little more planted for long distance riding.

big bottom girlss:thumbup:

Jiggles
November 13th, 2012, 01:42 PM
Depends on what you are doing, 50lbs would feel significant to me in the twisties whereas an extra 130lbs on my 1000 feels negligible on the freeway

80MPHdownhill
November 13th, 2012, 01:56 PM
That 500 looks pretty sweet to me.
I'd like it if it were sub 400 lbs, but I guess that's tough for a 500?
When that 500 is used on Craigslist for $3500, I'll be a buyer!

ninjaone
November 13th, 2012, 03:41 PM
That 500 looks pretty sweet to me.
I'd like it if it were sub 400 lbs, but I guess that's tough for a 500?
When that 500 is used on Craigslist for $3500, I'll be a buyer!

Swap the lead pipe brick chrome exhaust and you just might be under 400 lbs. ;)

LoD575
November 13th, 2012, 04:26 PM
The weight might be a factor depending on distribution but I believe it to be negligible.

At 425lbs its only slightly porkier then any 600cc SS.

I believe Honda has the right idea with the 500 as a stepping stone between the 250 and larger displacement bikes.

250rr
November 13th, 2012, 04:48 PM
Depends on what you are doing, 50lbs would feel significant to me in the twisties whereas an extra 130lbs on my 1000 feels negligible on the freeway

I'm sure there are more experienced riders on here that could better and more accurately comment on this, but I think Jiggles has it right. 50 lbs is 13.3% more weight. In the twisties, at least, that must feel significantly different. Certainly noticeable.

If you look at it another way, 13.3% more horsepower on a stock Baby Ninja 300 would take the power from 34 to 38.5 hp. I think that would be noticeable, at the least.

ninjaone
November 13th, 2012, 04:55 PM
People focus on absolute weight too much IMO, rake trail steering geometry, steering damper or not, suspension, center of gravity. All these things matter way more then absolute weight. A steep rake and long trail will make a bike far less flick-able then a few pounds.

Ninja 300:

Rake / trail
27 degrees / 3.7 in.

Honda CBR500R:

Rake 25.5 degrees
Trail 103mm (4.05 inches)

I'm guessing based on those numbers alone the CBR500R might feel more flick-able in canyons then the 300, the trade off being stability on highways.

Jiggles
November 13th, 2012, 05:01 PM
My 500lb behemoth has a 24.5 rake, I'd still prefer the ninjette for flickability though

LoD575
November 13th, 2012, 05:06 PM
I'm sure there are more experienced riders on here that could better and more accurately comment on this, but I think Jiggles has it right. 50 lbs is 13.3% more weight. In the twisties, at least, that must feel significantly different. Certainly noticeable.

If you look at it another way, 13.3% more horsepower on a stock Baby Ninja 300 would take the power from 34 to 38.5 hp. I think that would be noticeable, at the least.

The weight difference will be noticeable but not overly significant. I believe it's a matter of adjusting to a different bike.

250rr
November 13th, 2012, 06:56 PM
The weight difference will be noticeable but not overly significant. I believe it's a matter of adjusting to a different bike.

This makes some sense. My experience in aviation is more extensive, and there weight is large part of how and whether an airplane will perform.

SteveL
November 14th, 2012, 12:39 AM
"I'd said it before, I'll say it again, 400's are the PERFECT size for a balance of fuel economy and HP."

Well both my GSX650F and the K1300S use less fuel on the highway at 80mph than my Ninja 250R (FI) did.

Steve

sharky nrk
November 14th, 2012, 12:14 PM
anyone post the milan vid with Johnny and the cup version of the 500R. It looks good as a racebike

ninjaone
November 14th, 2012, 01:36 PM
My 500lb behemoth has a 24.5 rake, I'd still prefer the ninjette for flickability though

Ninja 250 has a steeper rake then the 300:

250 Rake/Trail: 26 degrees / 3.2 in.

There is a relationship between steering effort, weight of the motorcycle, center of gravity of the motorcycle (why mass centralization is such a big deal), and steering geometry. All things equal a lazier steering geometry will be more evident as you try to change direction quickly at higher speeds- at slower speeds the overall weight will be more obvious. I'm not sure what speeds the aggressive rake of the Ninja 1k would make it easier to turn, but I'm guessing it will be much more evident between the CBR500R and 300.

Again, the only real test you can do is to stop looking at stats online and actually ride the bikes.

Slono
November 14th, 2012, 06:30 PM
Why doesn't everybody just get a fully faired SV650???

choneofakind
November 14th, 2012, 06:38 PM

Because I already have a 250 silly! SV650's rock with fairings though. They're on my list of bikes to keep in mind once this one dies.

StephenA
November 14th, 2012, 07:43 PM
that 500x looks pretty cool.

seanshawnS
November 14th, 2012, 07:51 PM

You could apply that same reductionist argument to just about any CC/class of motorcycle.

That's not saying the SV isn't a great bike. My reasons for considering this over the SV would be dealership support, which is a local thing. As well as seating position, which is quite aggressive on the 650S.

Shaorune
November 14th, 2012, 08:23 PM
whooaa they want to reborn honda nsr 500 rohtman edition...
that sick

Aggrotech
November 15th, 2012, 04:03 AM
Not sure if this has been posted but heres a small little gallery
http://www.asphaltandrubber.com/racing/honda-cbr500r-race-bike/

adouglas
November 15th, 2012, 05:12 AM

Because Suzuki discontinued it, the bastages!

They were already relatively rare (at least compared to supersports) and are getting harder to find all the time.

choneofakind
November 15th, 2012, 10:20 AM
the 500R is a good looking bike in race plastics!

I noticed that Kawi and Honda both did the same thing; they unveiled a new sport bike, and showed off a race version of it at the same time. Why is this? That link says that Honda's 500 is the bike for some European Junior cup, but what about the Ninja 300 that Kawi showed off in race plastics? Was that just for publicity?

sharky nrk
November 15th, 2012, 11:33 AM
^^ prop just for publicity sake, the 250R was the Junior Cup bike two years ago, replaced by the 690 Duke last year, and now the 500R. I would like to see a small class like this in AMA other than the XR class but the way roadracing in here in the US, it looks like a fat chance kinda thing.

Somchai
November 22nd, 2012, 07:42 PM
It looks like the CBR500 has clip-ons and if u need it deeper just turn them upside-down, haha...

Z7SbcxeDk38

adouglas
November 23rd, 2012, 06:04 AM
That's an interesting idea, but it looks like the cast riser pieces would have interference issues with the master cylinder.

akcalhoun
November 23rd, 2012, 06:16 AM
Been looking closely at the photos and specs.

41mm forks. Should be some interesting upgrade options that don't require futzing with the headstock... weren't 41mm forks common on supersports before the BPF arrived?

Bars look like raised clip-ons attached above the triple as opposed to a plain handlebar. So finding clip-ons that will work should be a snap... plain ones attached above or risers attached below. Looks like there's plenty of body clearance, too.

WTF... I can't see anywhere on the swing arm to attach spools. how the heck are we supposed to lift the bike for servicing?

the cbr 250s dnt have anywhere for rear swingarm spools either, they make rear stands that just lift the actual swingarm

adouglas
November 26th, 2012, 01:00 PM
Y'know, a CBR500R with an AreaP Quiet Core and appropriate fuel mapping would be pretty freakin' cool.

Just sayin'.

choneofakind
November 26th, 2012, 01:02 PM
I think any bike with a quiet full exhaust designed by a forum member with proper fuel mapping would be awesome! :)

TrueFaith
November 28th, 2012, 09:05 AM
I wonder if we'll get a Repsol edition in it's 2nd year of production like we did with the CBR250R. :D

slowninja
November 30th, 2012, 10:35 AM
This is the new rival of the Ninja 300R from Honda. A 500cc with a clean look.
I like the new 300R but look at this: :D:thumbup: This could be the new beginner bike for most people. What do you think? http://www.newbikesinfo.com/wp-content/uploads/2012/11/Honda-CBR-500-R.jpg

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=juOPhrkue7I

Ausoi
November 30th, 2012, 10:41 AM
If I wanted to go up to a 500 why wouldn't I just skip it and go for the 600 which is much more sexy. I've been reading lots of good reviews on the new 636 :D

slowninja
November 30th, 2012, 10:46 AM
I think 600 is a supersports. The numbers are misleading. This is still a sports touring, more comfortable on the streets! But you could! :D:thumbup:

JeffM
November 30th, 2012, 10:47 AM
If I wanted to go up to a 500 why wouldn't I just skip it and go for the 600 which is much more sexy. I've been reading lots of good reviews on the new 636 :D

Two vastly different animals - Honda's new 500 and a super sport 600 :p

Of course, on the other hand this would be closer: (http://www.asphaltandrubber.com/racing/honda-cbr500r-race-bike/)

http://www.asphaltandrubber.com/wp-content/uploads/2012/11/Honda-CBR500R-race-bike-03.jpg

Ausoi
November 30th, 2012, 10:59 AM
I still hold with what I said originally... unless that thing is priced at or below the 300 I wouldn't touch it.

JeffM
November 30th, 2012, 11:10 AM
Another plus for the CBR500R is that the optional hard bags for the CB500F look like they would fit right up.

http://powersports.honda.com/images/accessoryPreview/CB500F_2013_Accessories_5.jpghttp://powersports.honda.com/images/accessoryPreview/CB500F_2013_Accessories_1.jpg

Add the optional taller windscreen and you have a 1/2 liter sport tourer.

http://powersports.honda.com/images/accessoryPreview/CBR500R_2013_Accessories_3.jpg

I'd consider this bike.

Jeff

slowninja
November 30th, 2012, 11:12 AM
I still hold with what I said originally... unless that thing is priced at or below the 300 I wouldn't touch it.

MSRP is $5,999 :eek:

adouglas
November 30th, 2012, 11:14 AM
Why not go to a 600? This is about half the price of a new 600, that's why.

Completely different bike, too. Also much different from the Ninja 300. Considerably more power and torque vs. the 300. Also more expensive. They are not head-to-head competitors at all.

Given a choice between the two, I'd be hard pressed. I love my 08 Ninjette but I really, REALLY miss my old EX500. 500cc is a "just right" motor for me.

Here's how I see it, from the low end to the high (we won't bother with Hyosung)

CBR250 - true beginner bike. Gutless single-cylinder.

Ninja 300 - good for beginners but fun for the experienced who have nothing to prove. A decided step up from the CBR250R

CBR500R - Another big step up. Suitable for beginners who are under the illusion that 250/300 ccs aren't enough. Excellent choice as an economical all-around street bike.

Ninja 650 - Direct competitor to the CBR500R, a bit more powerful but heavier and less sporty than the CBR500R

Any 600 supersport - Huge step up from any of the above in every way -- price, power, sophistication, handling and impact on insurance. For testosterone-addled young men who think that 100+ hp equates to "beginner bike." Those of who understand that a badass bike does not make the rider a badass know better. Also good for those who actually do ride on the track.

JeffM
November 30th, 2012, 11:15 AM
2013 Ninja 650 runs $7599 ($8099 with ABS)

rusninja
November 30th, 2012, 11:15 AM
I think the looks part looks cheap like the scooter company that made the cheap chinese 250 lmao

ricochet08
November 30th, 2012, 11:16 AM
it looks good indeed :D

i just wish someone would come out with a 400cc inline motor

JeffM
November 30th, 2012, 11:18 AM
I think the looks part looks cheap like the scooter company that made the cheap chinese 250 lmao

Maybe it will look better with a Repsol paint job :p

Alex
November 30th, 2012, 11:24 AM
/merged

old3
November 30th, 2012, 11:25 AM
It is a bike I'd probably recommend to other less sporty riders. I've read a 8500 RPM redline and 47-53 HP. Nobody knows for sure yet. + side is the race series will bring some good parts to market perhaps? - is that it weighs 50ish lbs more than the 300 and a price jump for similar quality bits like shocks/forks.

I liked my EX500 as a beater/touring bike and the funny thing is the 300 power reminds me of that bike alot. Decent mid, not so great top end, OK but not great.

Give me a "real" sport bike with low weight, 45-50 HP and small displacement so it is tossable and high quality components and I'll buy it. Till then I'll build my own. The 300 isn't a terrible starting point, better for me than the 420+ lbs 500.

himynameisjoe
November 30th, 2012, 11:39 AM
Ehh it's alright... I still don't see it being a beginners bike though.

slowninja
November 30th, 2012, 11:47 AM
Ehh it's alright... I still don't see it being a beginners bike though.

I don't think it's as scary as the 600 and it has some ponies reversed for when you really need them. I've run into situations where I'd wished my 250 had a few ponies to spare. Those a-holes won't let me merge. My poor 250 just didn't have the power to past them. Maybe that's just me being aggressive :D:p

choneofakind
November 30th, 2012, 11:49 AM
I like the looks of it. I like that it's a middle-weight sport bike that looks like it would be capable at whatever I wanted, whether that's track days, touring, or just some nice spirited back-road cruises. Hard saddle bags would be a definite plus as well.

And if the single disk brake isn't enough, I'm sure you could swap the front end from an older CBR600 F3 or CBR600RR that uses the standard forks instead of the upside down forks. Those bikes have dual disk brakes, but the same size rims as the CBR500. The classic wheels would look sweet as well.

akima
November 30th, 2012, 12:27 PM
Ugly bike.

himynameisjoe
November 30th, 2012, 02:27 PM
Ugly bike.

I hope you're being serious :D I can't seem to get into the looks of these new bikes Honda has been putting out... At least most of the world can agree that the 250 is hideous.

Whiskey
November 30th, 2012, 04:30 PM
I think 600 is a supersports. The numbers are misleading. This is still a sports touring, more comfortable on the streets! But you could! :D:thumbup:

This is a 600cc Honda sports tourer, the 500 is the cheapest option they could get to market.

http://rmreview.com.my/wp-content/uploads/2010/12/2011-HONDA-CBR-600F-SUPERBIKE-2-500x364.jpg
http://www.fastbikesmag.com/files/2010/11/CBF-2.jpg

Why not go to a 600? This is about half the price of a new 600, that's why.

Completely different bike, too. Also much different from the Ninja 300. Considerably more power and torque vs. the 300. Also more expensive. They are not head-to-head competitors at all.

Given a choice between the two, I'd be hard pressed. I love my 08 Ninjette but I really, REALLY miss my old EX500. 500cc is a "just right" motor for me.

Here's how I see it, from the low end to the high (we won't bother with Hyosung)

CBR250 - true beginner bike. Gutless single-cylinder.

Ninja 300 - good for beginners but fun for the experienced who have nothing to prove. A decided step up from the CBR250R

CBR500R - Another big step up. Suitable for beginners who are under the illusion that 250/300 ccs aren't enough. Excellent choice as an economical all-around street bike.

Ninja 650 - Direct competitor to the CBR500R, a bit more powerful but heavier and less sporty than the CBR500R

Any 600 supersport - Huge step up from any of the above in every way -- price, power, sophistication, handling and impact on insurance. For testosterone-addled young men who think that 100+ hp equates to "beginner bike." Those of who understand that a badass bike does not make the rider a badass know better. Also good for those who actually do ride on the track.

The fit & finish show that.

At the very least it should have twin discs up front, it's over the weight of a 600ss, capable of about 110-120mph (I'd guess) but it's relying on a single disc to stop it... that's asking for trouble.

Stick the SV in there with the 650 & 500, it's a bit more forward & sporty than the Ninja 650 (altho the 650 supertwin racing class is dominated by the Kwak)

thomason2wheels
November 30th, 2012, 09:52 PM
If Honda brought back the styling of the 1985 Interceptor V Four 500 they would have a real winner.

http://classic-motorbikes.net/images/gallery/11127.jpg

Looks too much like a pregen ninja 250, at least to me

thomason2wheels
November 30th, 2012, 09:59 PM

The single rotor brakes om my ninja are much more responsive than the twin rotor brakes on my vstrom. In fact the vstrom brakes would have to improve to make good flintstone brakes lol. :eek::D

psych0hans
November 30th, 2012, 10:53 PM

:whathesaid: let the past remains where it belongs, in he past...

Daeldren
November 30th, 2012, 11:22 PM
Looks good and sounds like a good idea buuuut.... the weight is a big downfall for me. Now I know that the market is still hurting but I was hoping Honda would design this around a aluminum frame and try to lower the weight. What I was really hoping for was a brand new inline 4 super sport 500 with low weight and moderate HP. What Honda came out with was a fi ninja 500/ gs 500. For the money I would just as well save and buy a ninja 500.

I'm not a hater, I really am impressed with Honda's 250 and the new ninja 300 but this cbr 500 idea does not impress me.

himynameisjoe
November 30th, 2012, 11:27 PM
You wouldn't have to save much to buy a Ninja 500. Since they seem to only exist in the used markets now ;)

choneofakind
December 1st, 2012, 01:07 PM

:whathesaid: let the past remains where it belongs, in he past...

don't hate. It's still a ninjette.

Snake
December 1st, 2012, 08:15 PM

Hhhhmmm....... Maybe thats why I like it so much.

psych0hans
December 2nd, 2012, 02:36 AM
don't hate. It's still a ninjette.

I don't hate the pregen for what it is, but you have to admit, no bike manufacturer in their right mind would design a new bike like that. ;)

robmilchling
December 2nd, 2012, 09:55 AM
I don't hate the pregen for what it is, but you have to admit, no bike manufacturer in their right mind would design a new bike like that. ;)

Maybe not right now, but wait, in 10 years or so when the 80s designs move from just looking dated to suddendly being retro, I bet they will.

choneofakind
December 2nd, 2012, 11:11 AM

The formula for the 250cc sport bike from Kawasaki really hasn't changed. Other than the plastic, they basically did design the same bike in 2008 with a few minimal changes, like slightly different suspension (still not great) and a different head (which is harder to do valve adjustments on).

Have you ever actually seen or ridden a pre-2008 bike? As a stock package, the newgen is a little better all-rounder, but it's basically the same bike. Maybe the pregen isn't the sexiest thing out there, but it's not like you have to consider it on a sliding scale of "for what is is" to compare it to a newer 250.

sharky nrk
December 2nd, 2012, 11:31 AM
I saw the 300 in person the other day and it is really a nice worthy upgrade to the current 250, but I really think if I was in the market for a new do-it-all bike, the new 500R would get very serious consideration (and I currently own and ride a 6R).

psych0hans
December 2nd, 2012, 06:24 PM
Maybe not right now, but wait, in 10 years or so when the 80s designs move from just looking dated to suddendly being retro, I bet they will.
You never know... But I honestly can't comment about something that far out into the future...

The formula for the 250cc sport bike from Kawasaki really hasn't changed. Other than the plastic, they basically did design the same bike in 2008 with a few minimal changes, like slightly different suspension (still not great) and a different head (which is harder to do valve adjustments on).

Have you ever actually seen or ridden a pre-2008 bike? As a stock package, the newgen is a little better all-rounder, but it's basically the same bike. Maybe the pregen isn't the sexiest thing out there, but it's not like you have to consider it on a sliding scale of "for what is is" to compare it to a newer 250.

I'm commenting on the looks alone and nothing else. I know the new gen and the 300 are both evolutions of the pregen and not revolutionary new models, the fact still remains that the styling of the pregen is extremely dated and is not likely to find its way into new motorcycle design anytime soon. Don't hate because your time is past, accept the new... :behindsofa:

choneofakind
December 2nd, 2012, 06:47 PM
Yes. The styling is dated. It's not a terrible looking bike though. It's a classic-styled sport bike that grows on you when you get to know it. Like the designs of all motorcycles, cars, and bicycles, it looks better in person than in the 2 dimensions of a picture.

Don't hate because your time is past, accept the new.

Not sure how this is intended, so I'm just going to ignore it.

psych0hans
December 2nd, 2012, 07:06 PM
Yes. The styling is dated.
This is ALL I am saying :p

Not sure how this is intended, so I'm just going to ignore it.
It means you're sexy!!! :kiss:
(20 years ago)

Boom King
December 6th, 2012, 06:50 PM
Prices just released for Canada. $6,299 for the non-abs and $6,799 for the abs version. Exactly $1000 more than a comparable Ninja 300 model.

psych0hans
December 6th, 2012, 07:55 PM
Prices just released for Canada. $6,299 for the non-abs and $6,799 for the abs version. Exactly $1000 more than a comparable Ninja 300 model.

I'm hoping it'll be similarly priced in india... If its priced right, this could very well be my second bike.

Apex
December 6th, 2012, 08:36 PM
I think people are too concerned about how a bike looks on paper, and less about how it actually acts when you ride it. On paper my old GS500 was a turd, but IRL the thing was a blast to ride. There is always that x-factor, the smiles per mile. On paper, we shouldn't like the 250, but it is actually a blast to ride. ;)

StephenA
December 14th, 2012, 12:49 PM
but riding a motorcycle is all about looks, duh.

Slono
December 14th, 2012, 03:41 PM
It seems to me like many of you like the idea if a racy 500cc bike that can also fit well in the touring world. Let me tell you that the SV650 is exactly that and more. In June I sold my ninjette (it was a sad moment) and picked up a used Fully faired 2010 SV. Let me tell you, this bike can do it all. It has the elusive low-end grunt which is very useful for city commuters and the power and stability for long trips, not to mention its ABS braking system. It's also aggressively styled.

Behold, the fully faired SV650!
http://i34.tinypic.com/30m2vb5.jpg

sharky nrk
December 14th, 2012, 04:29 PM
^^ the SV may be the only Zuk I would consider buying

alex.s
December 14th, 2012, 04:42 PM
last time i rode tiffani's SV650 i did a wicked rolling burnout while i was trying to wheelie it. needless to say she doesn't let me ride it anymore.

i like that bike a lot.

BlackNinja8
December 14th, 2012, 05:03 PM
I agree the SV is awesome. I just posted mine in the for sale section but after riding today I can't imagine parting with it. Freaking love that bike. If the CBR500 appeals to you definately check out the SV650.

BlueHairSar
December 14th, 2012, 08:57 PM
This thread makes me happily sigh.

CycleCam303
December 14th, 2012, 09:01 PM
I'm a dyed in the wool Honduh Fanboi. I sat on it at the motorcycle show. I know it didn't have any fluids but it didn't really any heavier than the 300. If I don't pick up a CBR600 I'm strongly considering getting this bike next year.

Somchai
December 31st, 2012, 06:22 AM
Here u can read about a testride with the new CBR http://www.motorcycle.in.th/forum/viewtopic.php?showtopic=5485

Have a safe ride in a happy new year all.

CycleCam303
February 22nd, 2013, 12:25 PM
http://www.visordown.com/road-tests-first-rides/first-ride-2013-honda-cb500f-review/22346.html

There's a link to the 500R also. Essentially all three bikes are the same. The 300 looks to essentially be just as quick. I'd imagine it would be like the pre gens and the ninja 500 debate. Both accomplishing the same thing, easy to ride, not intimidating, inexpensive; with the 500 getting the slight nudge of being better.

Jono
February 22nd, 2013, 02:01 PM
Seems nice. But the KTM Duke 390 is gonna be better!!

choneofakind
February 22nd, 2013, 02:35 PM
The review makes it sound kind of vanilla, but with more torque and better brakes than the 300.

I want to see what it will do with a set of aggressive cams, a full exhaust system, and proper fuel mapping. I'm not jumping on the wagon just yet, but I think it has potential.

KawiKid860
February 23rd, 2013, 04:28 AM
I'd rather have a 300. Still has enough power when you need it but retains the small bike appeal of the 250. If my 500 exploded for no reason tomorrow I'd probably replace it with a 650 of some sort or a 250/300 before a CB500 variant, if I'm gonna have the same amount of CCs using a couple decades newer technology I don't want to go down 15bhp...

choneofakind
February 23rd, 2013, 08:27 AM
if I'm gonna have the same amount of CCs using a couple decades newer technology I don't want to go down 15bhp...

Dude, HP isn't everything. How many times do I have to remind you of this? For goodness sake, you're on a forum for people who own one of the most anemic sport bikes on the road.

The engine has a relatively long stroke compared to its bore. That means it's going to make a lot of torque. But it still stays within the same UK engine restrictions that the 300 does. Like I said before, I'm betting a little work will change it a lot.

All this means is you'll have more torque than the 300. Torque is fun. Who cares about top speed?

Take one for a test ride before you bash on it for no other reason than numbers.

KawiKid860
February 24th, 2013, 11:28 PM
Dude, HP isn't everything. How many times do I have to remind you of this? For goodness sake, you're on a forum for people who own one of the most anemic sport bikes on the road.

The engine has a relatively long stroke compared to its bore. That means it's going to make a lot of torque. But it still stays within the same UK engine restrictions that the 300 does. Like I said before, I'm betting a little work will change it a lot.

All this means is you'll have more torque than the 300. Torque is fun. Who cares about top speed?

Take one for a test ride before you bash on it for no other reason than numbers.

CALM DOWN MAN. You realize this was posted way before we started arguing in my video thread lol. It makes the same amount of torque as the ninja 500 with quite a bit less horsepower, the torque is just lower which means less rpms to reach it. The thing is that.... high rpms are fun! Like you said, this is a forum for one of the lowest powered sport bikes available, so you should know a little about having to rev real high to make power.

I'm sure it will be a great bike, it is a honda, just probably not what I'm looking for.

Jiggles
February 24th, 2013, 11:56 PM

This isn't cbr250.org

sharky nrk
February 25th, 2013, 04:41 AM
It will be interesting to see what the aftermarket does with these Honda triplets. Whether they will be embraced like the Ninjette or not waits to be seen but they could have alot of potential.