View Full Version : Add on electrical circuits

g21-30
January 6th, 2009, 05:34 AM
Painless Wiring makes great wiring harnesses, add on circuits, etc.

http://www.jegs.com/p/Painless/750150/10002/-1

Sailariel
January 6th, 2009, 02:46 PM
G-21, That is a great resource! Put that one in my address book. I think that I will get one of those puppies and rewire my acessories. That looks like a bulletproof system.

g21-30
January 6th, 2009, 03:25 PM
Painless has been around a long time. They are really big in getting "muscle cars and trucks" back on the road. I can remember when the 3 circuit sets were $20-30. You get part of the credit, as your post reminded me about them!!

Sailariel
January 6th, 2009, 05:03 PM
G-21, The fused box I used was a marine unit--nowhere near as sophisticated as yours. I had to provide my own wire and there was no relay. This spring I am going to have to replace all the electronics on my boat-- Radar, Single sideband radio, Knotmeter with log, wind instruments, and sonar. I will be using their wiring a lot. May not be a muscle car, but we are looking at about $6500 for the instruments alone. I plan to do the labor--fishing wires,etc. I have done this type of work before, so it will not be a real big deal. I much prefer to work with DC--less chance of electrocuting myself. We may just decide to sail over and visit Kelly. Nice thing about visiting people by boat is that you bring your house with you. We will make a trip to the west coast--truck the boat to Seattle and sail down the California coast visiting the kids. The sail from San Diego to Hawaii is a piece of cake compared to the north Atlantic.

kkim
January 6th, 2009, 06:00 PM
visitors are always welcome... especially if they bring their own lodging! :cheers:

g21-30
January 6th, 2009, 06:47 PM
I much prefer to work with DC--less chance of electrocuting myself.

My MOS in the army was generator operator/mechanic. I was hit with 880 VAC at Ft Belvoir (low amperage), during training. The only reason I survived was from a trick an old electrician taught me in high school. Always be in an unbalanced position and keep one hand behind your back, so it doesn't grab ground. I was squatted down and leaning back, while reaching between wires when I got to ride the wire!!:mad: Body weight pulled me off!

DC voltage (higher ranges - 750VDC) will actually jump farther to bite you. That's why the track workers use long wooden handled voltage detectors on the metro system in the District of Columbia.

Sailariel
January 7th, 2009, 03:25 PM
G-21, On the boat I have six 100Ah Gel Cells divided and isolated to Bat 1 and Bat 2. Each bank has 300Ah. I shut the whole thing down when I get into the master panel. We bought a house in 2004 and my wife said that she needed a light switch added. I said "No sweat" and went to the hardware store. Wiring is easy--Black is Ground, let`s see, Green has to be the lightning protection, so White has to be pos. After I picked myself up from across the room, I called an Electrician. In the Army my MOS was 91B40P--Combat Medic. Am a good medic but suck at AC electrics.