View Full Version : Rust forming on chain?

aloh
January 6th, 2009, 06:04 PM
Ive noticed small bits of rust forming on the chain on my 250. The bike only has 4300 miles on it. Its not a huge amount of rust though. Should I be worried? Any suggestions for chain cleaning/maintenance?

kkim
January 6th, 2009, 06:05 PM
When was the last time you cleaned and lubed your chain?

aloh
January 6th, 2009, 06:10 PM
When was the last time you cleaned and lubed your chain?

I lubed the chain when i first bought the bike in October. I think the rust may be due to the fact that the bike has to stay outside since there is no room for it in the garage. I finally bought a quality bike cover to put on it (the first cover i had was garbage), but im afraid it was a little too late since it has already been rained on a couple times

kkim
January 6th, 2009, 06:16 PM
So, you have 4300 miles on it and have never lubed and cleaned the chain since new? It should be done every 400 miles according to the maintenance schedule. Leaving it outside doesn't help, but chain lube on bare metal would prevent most of the rust from forming.

Speaking of chain lubes, this is what I prefer...

http://www.cometkartsales.com/store/oac/images/chainwax.jpg

aloh
January 6th, 2009, 06:32 PM
So, you have 4300 miles on it and have never lubed and cleaned the chain since new? It should be done every 400 miles according to the maintenance schedule. Leaving it outside doesn't help, but chain lube on bare metal would prevent most of the rust from forming.

Speaking of chain lubes, this is what I prefer...

Bought it when it had 4100 miles...so it wasnt new. :)

What do you do use clean it? Ive heard some people use kerosene while others use wd-40.

kkim
January 6th, 2009, 06:40 PM
I spray WD-40 on it and wipe it off with a clean rag. Get as much dirt/grime off as you can. A kerosene soaked rag will work well, too.

After it's relatively clean, apply lube of your choice.

Doing this while the bike is on a rear stand really makes the job easy, but it's not necessary. When you have the bike up on the rear stand, be mindful not to get your fingers caught between the chain/sprocket while cleaning.

Alex
January 6th, 2009, 06:44 PM
be mindful not to get your fingers caught

Or anyone else's fingers, either. :D

VeX
January 6th, 2009, 06:56 PM
I try to spin the wheel backwards when I do it so if anything does snag it's not pulled into the rear sprocket (ie. FINGERS). :p

kkim
January 6th, 2009, 07:01 PM
I try to spin the wheel backwards when I do it so if anything does snag it's not pulled into the rear sprocket (ie. FINGERS). :p

...unless you are cleaning the top of the chain run. :D

I usually make sure to work on the center section of chain while I clean it (between the sprockets) but one does tend to spin the wheel when drying it off, hence the caveat.

Alex, I don't have "little helpers" like you do, so I'm left to do the dirty, grimy work.

Sailariel
January 7th, 2009, 02:09 PM
Kelly, The Maxxima Lube is really great stuff. You use the same routine I do. I use Kero or WD-40. I like to buy WD-40 by the gallon at Home Depot. The only departure from your routine is that after I have applied the Maxxima, I spin the rear wheel very slowly and put a hair dryer to the chain on the LOW setting. I wait till the next morning to wipe off any excess. This is what I do with my racing bicycles. My customers win races.

Dan Kyle
January 12th, 2009, 11:04 AM
I rarely clean the chain.

I prefer:

PJ1 in the Blue can, there is a yellow as well, that is for dirt bikes.

The Honda chain lube.

Repsol chain lube.

If the chain is rusting, either you are not lubing it enought, or the chain lube is not a good one. Or both.

travis5018
May 5th, 2009, 09:59 AM
so say my chain has a decent amount of rust on it from the combination of leaving it outside in the rain without a cover and my lack of lubing/cleaning the chain. I sprayed some wd-40 on a rag and did some work yesterday but there is still a decent amount on the chain. Time for a new chain?

capt_bugaloo
May 5th, 2009, 11:34 AM
Can you post a photo?

Rocketman
May 5th, 2009, 12:56 PM
Kelly, The Maxxima Lube is really great stuff. You use the same routine I do. I use Kero or WD-40. I like to buy WD-40 by the gallon at Home Depot. The only departure from your routine is that after I have applied the Maxxima, I spin the rear wheel very slowly and put a hair dryer to the chain on the LOW setting. I wait till the next morning to wipe off any excess. This is what I do with my racing bicycles. My customers win races.

Are you sure it isn't the fog lamps making them win all of those races ? :p

Interesting method

Buffalony
May 5th, 2009, 03:59 PM
IMO WD-40 is the worst idea on cleaning the ninjettes o-ring chain.
I use a foaming degreaser then HHS 2000
http://www.azpartsmaster.com/images/catalog/dshop/d45500.jpg http://ecx.images-amazon.com/images/I/315WA415ZTL._SL500_AA280_.jpg

WD-40 is like a penetrating solvent. I feel it can possibly get past the o-ring and attacking the lube around the pins. Good cleaner other wise. IMO.
Chain wax is good stuff.

TnNinjaGirl
May 5th, 2009, 04:08 PM
I use Rost Off then HHS2000. Seems to be working well, but as Kelly pointed out before it's too expensive and difficult to obtain for most people.

Kolya1981
May 5th, 2009, 04:28 PM
I use Fuchs Silkolene Pro Chain Synthetic Race. Great stuff, have to apply it every 300 miles or so. You can ride immediately after applying it, won't fling off.

Buffalony
May 5th, 2009, 04:38 PM
I use Rost Off then HHS2000. Seems to be working well, but as Kelly pointed out before it's too expensive and difficult to obtain for most people.

Yay. Another HHS2000 user. Great stuff though.:thumbup:
Post #20
http://www.ninjette.org/forums/showthread.php?p=39178

TnNinjaGirl
May 5th, 2009, 04:41 PM
Yay. Another HHS2000 user.

Hi everyone, I'm Corey and I am a HHS2000 user. Please don't judge me...

Buffalony
May 5th, 2009, 04:47 PM
Hi everyone, I'm Corey and I am a HHS2000 user. Please don't judge me...

:bartend2::smile-drink3::salute2::ganja::grouphug::focus:

That stuff is really called fuchs.lol

Lurkable
May 5th, 2009, 09:05 PM
I've been using brake cleaner + towel/rag to clean off chain before applying Maxima.

Sound Wave
May 5th, 2009, 09:13 PM
i am using this one. i don't know if it is any good, but this is the only thing the shop i go to sells:
http://www.motorexusa.com/prod_detail.asp?id=98
http://www.motorexusa.com/prod_detail.asp?id=100

no problem with rust yet.

chess
May 6th, 2009, 07:17 PM
Dupont Teflon Chain Lube ($7 at Lowe's).

http://www.webbikeworld.com/t2/motorcycle-chain-lube/dupont-teflon-chain-lube.htm

Buffalony
May 7th, 2009, 02:36 AM
Dupont Teflon Chain Lube ($7 at Lowe's).

I hear good things about this stuff.

chess
May 7th, 2009, 05:12 PM
I hear good things about this stuff.

Love it.

Been using it for about a year on my Virago with no problems. It's clear and doesn't get thrown around...plus it's cheap!

Buffalony
May 7th, 2009, 05:16 PM
Love it.

Been using it for about a year on my Virago with no problems. It's clear and doesn't get thrown around...plus it's cheap!

I assume it doesnt gather dirt either.?

chess
May 7th, 2009, 07:23 PM
I assume it doesnt gather dirt either.?

No. It dries more like a "wax" than like a "grease"...if that makes sense.

Edit to add: It also does a great job of CLEANING the chain while it's still in liquid form...then it dries into a clear wax. My chains look great. Apparently, they sell the same stuff for industrial chains (the kind that run all day).

It really is great stuff...cleans like WD-40 and dries like chain wax...plus it smells like coconuts!

Buffalony
May 8th, 2009, 03:50 AM
mmmmm. Coconut :drool:
Thanks. Wont be for another 600 miles or so but Im gonna check this out.

Sorry......:focus: