View Full Version : Regional sections?

kkim
January 6th, 2009, 06:53 PM
Now that the forum is growing, perhaps a separate subsection with regions so people from the same areas can discuss local events/issues?

Alex
January 6th, 2009, 07:41 PM
It's on the radar screen, but I don't think we're there yet. At this point we have a grand total of zero upcoming group rides posted in that section, so it's not like it's getting particularly crowded. I don't think splitting it up now would buy us much yet.

kkim
January 6th, 2009, 07:55 PM
I agree, but how do you know when is the "right" time? I bring this up because one of the new members, when I was inviting them, didn't know if they wanted to join as she didn't know if there were others in her area. If we had something set up, perhaps it would have been easier to make a decision.

And it's not only about group rides being in there... it's about rides and other regional things that could be discussed.

I'm sure if there was a SoCal section, it would be utilized. ;)

Alex
January 6th, 2009, 08:10 PM
When there are more group rides and meetups posted on the board. We're not there yet, and I don't think we're close. If people go into the group rides section (and we probably can change that to group rides + local events if that helps), and there is so much traffic that they can't find anything in their own area even though there are things from their area, then that would need to be split up. :2cents:

BlueTyke
January 6th, 2009, 08:15 PM
I actually know a lot of places at have the Rides and Events (not ride logs mind) in one section and they are all over the US and Canada... It doesn't seem to bother to much.

What might be easier for some is if we had a map feature that tells us who lives in our regions and we can see if it might be something of interest to post up...

Though if you had to I suppose you could break it up by time zone because we do have some over seas folks (not counting Hawaii :D )

kkim
January 6th, 2009, 08:20 PM
A member location map would be a great idea, Sunny. I've seen that used on other sites and really like the idea. I would start one, but I can't even figure out how to put myself onto a map that was already set up. :o

Alex?

Alex
January 6th, 2009, 08:22 PM
Understood. I changed the description of the old Group Rides area. Here's the current title and description:

Group Rides and Local Events
Want to meet up with other ninjette owners in your area? Come on in...

If that gets too busy to follow along with as one forum, I've got no issue with splitting them into regional area. It's just that young forums often make the mistake of having too many empty or almost empty subforums, which can conspire to hurt a growing forum rather than help it.

TnNinjaGirl
January 6th, 2009, 08:22 PM
It would be nice to know who was in your region for making friends and other such things. I'd like to meet some fellow riders in my area, but am far from able to set up a group ride with a bunch of people. Nor am I sure I want to run with a bunch of people right away. Just a thought.

Alex
January 6th, 2009, 08:23 PM
A member map is on the to-do list. I don't want to do a half-assed one and then have to come back and re-do it multiple times as I learn a better way. My vision is that people enter their zip code (or portion of zip code) right into a profile field, and it automatically populates a google-maps type page with member info.

That doesn't happen overnight, but I'd like to see it as much as you folks would.

Alex
January 6th, 2009, 08:25 PM
It would be nice to know who was in your region for making friends and other such things. I'd like to meet some fellow riders in my area, but am far from able to set up a group ride with a bunch of people. Nor am I sure I want to run with a bunch of people right away. Just a thought.

I agree, why don't you post up exactly what you just said into the Group Rides and Events section, with a title like "Looking for other Tennesee folks to ride with, is anyone nearby?"

TnNinjaGirl
January 6th, 2009, 08:32 PM
I feel dumb now, thanks Alex. Nice to be set back in my place every once in a while. lol

Alex
January 6th, 2009, 08:38 PM
;) I didn't mean to make you feel dumb, just trying to help. :p :heh:

BlueTyke
January 6th, 2009, 08:52 PM
I look at everyones location when they sign up :D

Alex
January 6th, 2009, 08:53 PM
Stalker. :behindsofa: :rotflmao:

BlueTyke
January 6th, 2009, 09:12 PM
Stalker. :behindsofa: :rotflmao:

:boxing: I know where you live too! :D

:caked: :devil:

Alex
January 7th, 2009, 03:08 AM
Member map v1 up and running! Wasn't as hard as I thought it would be, but there isn't any integration with our current ninjette.org profiles either, so it is pretty simple. Anyway, here's a link:

http://www.ninjette.org/forums/showthread.php?t=11545

It's a sticky thread, at the top of the Group Rides and Local Events subforum.

BlueTyke
January 7th, 2009, 09:21 AM
That is awesome Alex!! Thanks! I already signed up!

Erin_S
January 7th, 2009, 02:58 PM
A member map is on the to-do list... That doesn't happen overnight...

Posted yesterday...

Member map v1 up and running!

Posted today...

Look what came up overnight. ^_-

Alex
January 7th, 2009, 03:00 PM
:rotflmao: It's all about setting low expectations, then beating them. :thumbup: Works equally well in just about all areas of life. :D

Erin_S
January 7th, 2009, 03:10 PM
:rotflmao: It's all about setting low expectations, then beating them. :thumbup: Works equally well in just about all areas of life. :D

Well all know that engineers love Star Trek, huh? :P

Lt. Commander Geordi La Forge: Look, Mr. Scott, I'd love to explain everything to you. But the captain wants this spectrographic analysis done by 1300 hours.
Scotty: [thinks about it some time] You mind a little advice? Starfleet captains are like children. They want everything right now and they want it their way. But the secret is to give them only what they need, not what they want.
Lt. Commander Geordi La Forge: Yeah. Well, I told the captain I'd have this analysis done in an hour.
Scotty: How long would it really take?
Lt. Commander Geordi La Forge: [annoyed] An hour!
Scotty: [looks unbelieving] Oh. You didn't tell him how long it would REALLY take, did you?
Lt. Commander Geordi La Forge: Of course I did.
Scotty: Oh, laddie. You've got a lot to learn if you want people to think of you as a miracle worker.

sprale
January 8th, 2009, 08:34 PM
I dig the map feature.

I like to see Ride Reports and Ride Announcements separate, possibly with Reports as a sub-forum of Announcements. It works on some forums.

Alex
January 8th, 2009, 11:50 PM
I'm not sure I follow; the Ride Announcements (http://www.ninjette.org/forums/forumdisplay.php?f=28) and Ride Reports (http://www.ninjette.org/forums/forumdisplay.php?f=20) are separate forums here already, right? :idunno:

Viper-Byte
January 19th, 2009, 12:13 AM
LOL, the location marker for my location on the map (Wellington, NZ) is right on the road that my office is! :happy70:

kkim
April 15th, 2009, 04:07 PM
It's on the radar screen, but I don't think we're there yet. are we there, yet? :D

Alex
April 15th, 2009, 04:13 PM
I don't think so. The Group Rides / Local Events forum shows events for more than the past 2 months, just on the first page of thread listings. And many of those aren't even actual group rides or local events, they are just shout-outs. If actual group rides are scrolling off the first page too quickly, or people are having a hard time finding events near them even if those events are actually posted on the site, that would lead me to start creating some more subforums.

Snake
April 15th, 2009, 05:22 PM
I agree Alex it's still not quite the time to seperate into regions. The seperate region threads have still not gelled into a cohisive body. We are still growing.

Rynownd
April 16th, 2009, 07:06 AM
Is there a way to attatch user names to the locations on the map? I've decided to attempt recruiting people for the North Central meet via PM, but the map just has people's names.

Alex
April 16th, 2009, 07:14 AM
The instructions for the member map have from the very beginning stated to use your username instead of your name, and that portion of the instructions has been in bold since the first time I saw someone using their name instead of their username. No, there's no programmatic way to make sure people use usernames; they can enter anything they want in when they create their locations on the member map.

But have you seen this thread (http://www.ninjette.org/forums/showthread.php?t=13952) yet? It's an alternative way to find nearby folks using the zip code field in their profile. Worth a shot.

Rynownd
April 16th, 2009, 07:21 AM
The instructions for the member map have from the very beginning stated to use your username instead of your name, and that portion of the instructions has been in bold since the first time I saw someone using their name instead of their username. No, there's no programmatic way to make sure people use usernames; they can enter anything they want in when they create their locations on the member map.

But have you seen this thread (http://www.ninjette.org/forums/showthread.php?t=13952) yet? It's an alternative way to find nearby folks using the zip code field in their profile. Worth a shot.

Thanks Alex, I'll give the zip code search a try.