View Full Version : In the market for a new lid

ADoMinGu3z
September 28th, 2012, 11:30 PM
Hey guys as the title says im in the market for a new helmet. Ive narrowed it down to two: the bell rs-1 and the Bell vortex. want to know your guys thoughts on both these helmets. plz dont respond with "get one that fits properly". im clearly not an idiot and am not gna go out and buy it based on what you guys say. if you own either one let me know your opinions.I know the price difference is $150+ i wanna hear comfort and riding noise from your experience. thanks

Alex
October 1st, 2012, 03:01 PM
Get one that fits properly.

Just kidding. :)

No experience with either lid, but hopefully owners will chime in soon.

00NissanNinja
October 1st, 2012, 08:42 PM
Bell RS-1 hands down. The liner is probably the best liner I have felt in a helmet. It vents well and is actually a pretty quiet helmet. I don't have one anymore though, because the chin bar felt kind of cheap and creaky, but that seems to be with all the Bell helmets including the star. Other than that its a good helmet for the money. I believe the only extras over the vortex is the better liner, a shield that can be cracked and locked, and the neck roll, plus better venting of course. Also its a light helmet, noticeably lighter than my shoei.

ADoMinGu3z
October 12th, 2012, 08:15 PM
you are totally right... the helmet is freakin awesome. unfortunately im in between sizes so i bought two. trying to get rid of one lol

Little Green Machine
October 12th, 2012, 08:18 PM
Have you considered the Arrow? I have one in black and it is seriously comfortable! $109.00 total

ADoMinGu3z
October 12th, 2012, 08:39 PM
no. want to upgrade from my current scorpion helmet... wouldnt have made sense to get another helmet if it wasnt going to be better. was looking at the vortex tho.

psych0hans
October 12th, 2012, 09:29 PM
Have you considered the Arrow? I have one in black and it is seriously comfortable! $109.00 total

Just placed an order for one @ 99.99$

Dragonracer76
October 12th, 2012, 10:09 PM
I have a Hawk with a great liner, flip up chinbar, and integrated sunvisor. It's great and was only a hundred bucks from leatherup. It's actually the second one just like that I've owned. ...just my 2 cents
:thumbup:

gwilo
October 17th, 2012, 03:52 PM
I have the RS-1 and a Scorpion EXO 1100. they sit side by side.

I always grab the Bell it is comfortable (tight in the right places and it does not pin your ears to your head.)

It is very light and aerodynamic (low noise and buffeting) makes shoulder checks easy at speed.

I know a few people with the RS-1 and they are all happy.

alex.s
October 17th, 2012, 03:56 PM
i like my shoei rf1100

nycsteve
October 17th, 2012, 04:01 PM
Just ordered a Shoei Qwest Helmet! Can't what to ride with it on. Felt like a PERFECT fit in the store!

Old Guy on a '08
October 17th, 2012, 09:58 PM
I just nabbed a Nolan N103 at Competition Accessories on closeout for $209. Really like the Nolan (it's a Modular) and it's a big (and much needed upgrade from the OLD HJC fullface I was using) and the PINLOCK system is everything it's cracked up to be. Last week with over 1000miles, a lot of it in the cool damp mornings, it NEVER fogged up. :thumbup:

nautica
October 18th, 2012, 03:10 AM
Just picked this up.
http://www.flyncycle.com/media/catalog/product/cache/1/image/365x/9df78eab33525d08d6e5fb8d27136e95/2/0/2033346.jpg

I was hesitant getting a Bell at first but after trying it on it felt a lot better (to me) than the scorpion exo-500 I have. It has plenty of venting but with headphones in it's a little loud since there are pockets around the ear for bluetooth systems, but I think a good fitting pair of ear plugs would help that. It's also Snell approved.

nycsteve
October 18th, 2012, 06:24 AM
Just picked this up.
http://www.flyncycle.com/media/catalog/product/cache/1/image/365x/9df78eab33525d08d6e5fb8d27136e95/2/0/2033346.jpg

I was hesitant getting a Bell at first but after trying it on it felt a lot better (to me) than the scorpion exo-500 I have. It has plenty of venting but with headphones in it's a little loud since there are pockets around the ear for bluetooth systems, but I think a good fitting pair of ear plugs would help that. It's also Snell approved.

GREAT PICKUP! I have that helmet, Bell Vortex Attack, in red. Awesome helmet! Now we just need a few others to recreate the Power Rangers! :p

Alienjoe
October 18th, 2012, 01:07 PM
Has anyone looked at the Zero9 Black Ops? I have had one for a few months now and I like it. Just curious if anyone else has one or has looked st one.

Numbersix
October 19th, 2012, 09:25 PM
I have the Revolver Evo (Hi-Viz). IMO the Vortex and Revolver Evo are loud but earplugs make them fine. I am really impressed by the Bells generally; great visors, good ventilation, easy to pop out the liner and clean it (I ride to karate, head is sometimes a bit fragrant after a couple hours of workout). From what I hear, the RS-1 is much quieter. If I was buying again, I'd wait until end-of-season closeouts and pick up an RS-1.