View Full Version : Picked up my new Ninja 300 this morning!

Alex
September 29th, 2012, 01:59 PM
I know, it's forbidden to make these posts without pictures. So here (http://www.ciurczak.com/Motorcycles/Ninja-250-Pictures/2012-09-29-First-pics-of-2013/25644375_6Nm9q2#!i=2117504271&k=K3Bsf9d):

http://www.ciurczak.com/Motorcycles/Ninja-250-Pictures/2012-09-29-First-pics-of-2013/i-Fj43Trc/0/XL/First-pics-of-2013-Ninja-300-XL.jpg

It looks exactly like it does in the kawi glamour shots, probably because I've done nothing to it other than ride it from the shop to the garage. It still even has all of its stickers.

There are a number of organized reviews that cover everything, and this won't be one of them. This is just a bunch of first impressions before I can ride it more today and tomorrow.

I like that the steering stem nut is no longer painted. It's now bare metal, which means that it won't fleck off after it gets hit with keychains or whatever over the years.
The white looks great, and what you can't see in pictures is that it's not a flat white. It has metal flake in it, so when it's really clean and in the sunlight, it sparkles. It's a nice looking motorcycle.
The seat is harder. It feels like there is less cushion, and it is somewhat less comfortable. The shape is narrower toward the front. It does feel about the same height from the ground. I'd imagine that whatever people felt on the new-gens, would feel similar on these, in terms of being able to reach the ground
startup is great! It really does pop right on, with no warmup period. Just turn on, and get on the road.
dash looks great, though the lcd panel looks somewhat cheap in a way I can't describe. It's very readable, but in some ways it reminds me of a cheap digital clock. I don't know whether it is because of the font, the size of the numbers, or something else that is subconscious
The engine is great. It is noticeably more powerful from the instant you release the clutch lever. The low and midrange is much stronger than the 250, and that doesn't tail off all the way through the rev range.
On the highway, there is much more power in reserve. Cruising at 80 (indicated) was a piece of cake, and I took it up to an indicated 100 without even trying, and this was sitting straight up and down being the sail that I am. I will be putting a GPS on it soon enough, and I can confirm any speedo error, and have more information about top speed numbers.
The gearing makes a significant difference. On the highway it does feel much calmer. Sort of like adding a 15 tooth to the front on a new-gen or pre-gen, but even more so. The engine is very smooth, and it goes down the road feeling like a much larger bike.
The suspension feels fine, but will have more info tomorrow after some twisties. I haven't adjusted the rear pre-load yet, so it's probably a little light for me as delivered.
The brake feel is not great. I don't like that they are selling the non-ABS model with an organic front pad (non-sintered). It feels exactly like when I accidentally put a FA197 pad on the front of our newgen instead of a FA197HH. The initial grab is very weak, so you need to pull harder to get more braking force. If you really pull hard, the force is adequate and can stop the wheel, but it's just an adequate system with the stock pads. I'm hoping that the pads feel a little better as they break in, but I'll also be looking for a more aggressive sintered pad as soon as they are available for this bike.
transmission/shifter feel is incredible! It is so light, so positive, so easy, it is truly the nicest shifter feel of any bike I can ever remember riding. Truly better than the 10R and 1600GT it shares the garage with. (Not "taking into account the cost", I mean outright better)

The only accessory I bought so far is a set of spools. Sometime this afternoon, I'll get those on and put the bike up on stands to start adding the GPS wiring, along with a battery tender/heated gear lead.

Aggrotech
September 29th, 2012, 02:04 PM
Lookin sexy

Old Lemon
September 29th, 2012, 02:04 PM
very very nice :thumbup: i got to sit on one today and the lcd part of the dash looks tiny. huge tach though

Jiggles
September 29th, 2012, 02:07 PM
The seat probably feels harder because its new. I noticed that compared to my old 250 with 13k miles, my new used one with 3k on it was much harder. It just needs a couple hundred hours of butt time break in

Alex
September 29th, 2012, 02:10 PM
Perhaps, but it's also noticeably thinner (not as thick padding). Time will tell. I can't see myself putting a custom seat on it, so my butt needs to adjust one way or another.

NinjetteNewfie
September 29th, 2012, 02:40 PM
Congrats on the new bike Alex:) Should put some pics of the new ninjettes on the splash page:thumbup:

Confuzshuz
September 29th, 2012, 02:40 PM
So, would you say it's worth going from the 250 to the 300?
I'm tempted to do the same.

tnr4
September 29th, 2012, 02:41 PM
Perhaps, but it's also noticeably thinner (not as thick padding). Time will tell. I can't see myself putting a custom seat on it, so my butt needs to adjust one way or another.

Nice! I was looking forward to hearing your thoughts. That observation about the clutch is really important; the biggest reason I'm thinking to make this change is because I want something that I can have fun on when I want to have fun, but that is really easy to ride for commuting. My Streety ain't that (the latter half), since it wants to loft the front wheel all the freakin' time! :eek:

Let us know as you make more observations! And of course, 'grats!

Travis

Motofool
September 29th, 2012, 02:46 PM
Picked up my new Ninja 300 this morning!
Congratulations, Alex ! :thumbup:

Are those saddle bags for the new bike?

Is this one for you technically still a "Ninjette"?

Monkeytofu
September 29th, 2012, 02:46 PM
How is your garage so clean and organized? You cleaned it before taking the picture didn't you?

CC Cowboy
September 29th, 2012, 02:52 PM
It looks like a 600

Alex
September 29th, 2012, 03:03 PM

No, those are for the BMW.

Yes, as far as I'm concerned. The smallest Ninja sportbike can always and forever be referred to as a Ninjette.

How is your garage so clean and organized? You cleaned it before taking the picture didn't you?

I wish. We're going through a remodel, so my car is sitting outside for the time being while we store materials in the garage. So it looks a little more organized than it would otherwise.

So, would you say it's worth going from the 250 to the 300?
I'm tempted to do the same.

Beats me. It's only money. It's a better bike in some areas, but it won't teach a new rider anything any faster/quicker/safer.

Alex
September 29th, 2012, 03:06 PM
More pics in that same gallery (http://www.ciurczak.com/Motorcycles/Ninja-250-Pictures/2012-09-29-First-pics-of-2013/25644375_6Nm9q2#!i=2117504271&k=K3Bsf9d).

Kyle's a fan:

http://www.ciurczak.com/Motorcycles/Ninja-250-Pictures/2012-09-29-First-pics-of-2013/i-Ls7ppwz/0/X2/More-pics-of-our-new-Ninja-300-X2.jpg

The small spools they had at the shop fit fine. Only the smallest spools will work, or you need a spacer, as the spool boss is underneath the swingarm and recessed a couple mm. These were small enough that they still fit underneath the swingarm and snugged up against the mounting hole. If they were any larger, they would would have been blocked by the swingarm.

The front of the bike took the pitbull stemstand even better than the new-gen, it no longer makes contact underneath the front plastics as it lifts.

Heed
September 29th, 2012, 03:20 PM
omg that garage is clean.

Nice bike too. -.-

lgk
September 29th, 2012, 03:28 PM
congrats

tnr4
September 29th, 2012, 03:51 PM
Haha, I love the 'kids on bikes' pics. My niece will totally be a biker chick.

HKr1
September 29th, 2012, 03:55 PM
Very Nice! :thumbup:

hirubhaiambani
September 29th, 2012, 04:25 PM
SWEET!! Kawi does make awesome little machines...

Congrats Alex!

Boom King
September 29th, 2012, 04:32 PM
Congrats on being a Ninjetter again! :thumbup: What's the word on the presence of an O2 sensor and catalyser in the Cali model?

ninjaone
September 29th, 2012, 04:32 PM
The gearing makes a significant difference. On the highway it does feel much calmer.

I'd imagine the calmer feeling on the highway has more to do with the extended rake, trail, wheelbase, and heavier weight then anything. The 300's adjusted steering geometry is basically designed to make it more stable on the highway.

Boom King
September 29th, 2012, 04:36 PM
There's only 2 kg of difference in weight between the 300 and 250.

FrugalNinja250
September 29th, 2012, 04:43 PM
Can you hurry up and crash it? I need some parts off of it... :)

Actually, some things I'm interested in knowing about it:

1. Is there a speedo cable, or is it a sensor at the hub to feed a signal to the cluster?

2. Clutch is cable I assume? I don't see a reservoir in the pictures I've seen so far (Kawasaki dealer here is on the other side of one of the worst construction messes in Texas, so no recon trip there for the time being!)

3. What can you tell about the KAMS thingie?

4. How's the seating position compared to a pre-gen, things such as knee bend, torso tilt, etc?

That's all I've got at the moment. Nice looking bike! (Sadly, my finances preclude buying one new, will have to wait a few years and get used.)

vman1313
September 29th, 2012, 04:43 PM
:thumbup:

iceknyght
September 29th, 2012, 04:59 PM
Looks awesome and thanks for the quick 'thoughts' on the bike! I have been waiting for someone that has a 250 to give their impressions! Glad to hear it's still mostly positive! :D

Apex
September 29th, 2012, 05:06 PM
That bike looks sexy in white. :drool:

Boom King
September 29th, 2012, 05:06 PM
Is there a speedo cable, or is it a sensor at the hub to feed a signal to the cluster?

I believe there's a sensor that drives off the counter shaft sprocket

Confuzshuz
September 29th, 2012, 05:18 PM
Alex, can you post the major service intervals, specifically valve adjustments.

IdRatherDrum
September 29th, 2012, 05:49 PM
Looks great! I hope I can get one as my first bike! Can you get a close up shot of the dash please?

Alex
September 29th, 2012, 05:54 PM
Congrats on being a Ninjetter again! :thumbup: What's the word on the presence of an O2 sensor and catalyser in the Cali model?

Looks the same as the online pics of the 49-state bike. There is no O2 sensor that I can see on the midpipe, where the one was shown on some original kawi pic. I can't tell by looking whether there is a cat in the end can itself, but my hunch is there needs to be.

I'd imagine the calmer feeling on the highway has more to do with the extended rake, trail, wheelbase, and heavier weight then anything. The 300's adjusted steering geometry is basically designed to make it more stable on the highway.

Those might help, but the lower rpms and lower vibration also play a part.

Can you hurry up and crash it? I need some parts off of it... :)

Actually, some things I'm interested in knowing about it:

1. Is there a speedo cable, or is it a sensor at the hub to feed a signal to the cluster?

2. Clutch is cable I assume? I don't see a reservoir in the pictures I've seen so far (Kawasaki dealer here is on the other side of one of the worst construction messes in Texas, so no recon trip there for the time being!)

3. What can you tell about the KAMS thingie?

4. How's the seating position compared to a pre-gen, things such as knee bend, torso tilt, etc?

That's all I've got at the moment. Nice looking bike! (Sadly, my finances preclude buying one new, will have to wait a few years and get used.)

No speedo cable to the front wheel. There's a sensor somewhere off the countershaft. Clutch is cable-operated. No opinion on any improved air management due to the fairing. The old one seemed fine. The new one seems fine. :idunno: The seating position feels identical to the new-gen. I don't have the two right next to eachother to compare if they are truly identical, but other than that, they seem to be for me. The seat itself seems less comfortable, at least initially.

Alex, can you post the major service intervals, specifically valve adjustments.

Service intervals look identical to new-gen. First valve adjustment at 7500 miles, and then at 7500 mile intervals. The owners manual should be downloadable from that sticky thread in the 300 tech section soon, as soon as Kawi puts it up there.

Alex
September 29th, 2012, 05:56 PM
Looks great! I hope I can get one as my first bike! Can you get a close up shot of the dash please?

The pics online are going to be much sharper. Just look at the reviews section at the top of the 300 tech section, there are a ton of links. Here's one:

http://www.motorcycle.com/gallery/gallery.php/d/351562-2/2013-Kawasaki-Ninja-300-WING1769.jpg

csmith12
September 29th, 2012, 06:09 PM
http://www.nme.com/boards/images/smilies/werd.gif

gitoy
September 29th, 2012, 06:14 PM
the 300 looks like my white 07 cbr 600...

alex put a lot of miles on it tomorrow...like 200...

i would like a more thorough review...:D

menikmati
September 29th, 2012, 06:24 PM
Would love to see what the oil change process is on the 300.

00NissanNinja
September 29th, 2012, 06:25 PM
Congrats Alex! I sat on one today which promptly sold as I was leaving the dealer. The only thing I didn't like was how kind of cheap looking the LCD and like you said, I also couldn't quite put my finger on why. I almost want to sell my bike to get one.

Alex
September 29th, 2012, 07:40 PM
The answer is: "4"

The question is: "How optimistic is the speedo at highway speeds?"

I put the GPS on today (DIY to come), and took it out for a 40 mile ride. At 50 mph actual, the dash speed says 53. At 60 mph actual, the dash speed says 64. At 70, it says 74. At 80, it says 85. At 90, it says 95. At some point, I'll top it out, and report back on the speedo error as it goes over 100 mph. Bottom line, there is a programmed in error that reads high, but it's not terribly unexpected or more than any other bike with a digital speedo. (My ZX-10R has almost the same error range).

The suspension is pretty good. The front feels planted, feels compliant enough, yet it's quite hard to bottom out. I did read in Gabe's review that they've softened the spring, yet increased the fork oil, and whatever they did seems to work. On the 250 I could bottom it out pretty easily, and need to be aware of it. On this bike, on the same corners, it didn't bottom out under the same deceleration. The rear feels slightly soft, and the bike weaves very slowly at high speeds a bit more than the 250 did, but I think that will go away as soon as I ratchet up the rear preload to the similar settings I liked on the 250. The new bike ships in position 2 (of 5), I'll probably bump it up to 4 to start.

Brakes are still a weak point, at least brake feel. The pads feel a little better after these few miles of break-in, but it's still not anywhere near what I'd prefer. Will continue to look for HH pads, and will install them as soon as they are available.

Alex
September 29th, 2012, 07:41 PM
Would love to see what the oil change process is on the 300.

Supposedly, it can be done without removing the bodywork. It's just a spin-on filter that can be removed from the front.

Alex
September 29th, 2012, 07:44 PM
While installing the GPS & heated gear leads, I saw that I'd already made the bike mine. I don't know if I nicked it with a tool, scraped it with a jacket button, or if it was already on the bike before I picked it up; but there is a tiny nick on the gas tank down right near the seat. Now I don't have to worry about keeping it perfect anymore. :thumbup:

But I am happy that white is such a piece of cake color to match if I choose to touch it up, especially for a small nick like that.

menikmati
September 29th, 2012, 08:10 PM
Supposedly, it can be done without removing the bodywork. It's just a spin-on filter that can be removed from the front.

Saw a picture of that, at least the filter is near the bottom of the bike as I'd hate to try to clean up the mess of a horizontal filter.

IdRatherDrum
September 29th, 2012, 08:13 PM
That dash looks great!

Surferboy120
September 29th, 2012, 08:14 PM
Congrats on the bike!!

I doubt the seat will ever feel any better. I have been putting down the seat time and my ass hurts still. I am getting a local here to redo the seat for me.

Alex
September 29th, 2012, 08:48 PM
alex put a lot of miles on it tomorrow...like 200...

That's the plan. :thumbup: Will be around 250. (no coincidence. :))

psych0hans
September 29th, 2012, 09:09 PM
Congratz on the new ride bro!!! Looks sweet :D butt looks to me like lil kyle's gonna be stealing it from you sooner than later... Lol.

P.s. What frugal said, dibs on your throttle bodies :eek:

NDspd
September 30th, 2012, 05:17 AM
Nice choice on the white!!! Almost wish I had started out on the 300, but the 250 was still a great little bike.

Aufitt
September 30th, 2012, 05:29 AM
Congrats Alex, well written and a good insight into it and the old model.

Mine should be on track Nov10 or December30, will be able to give thoughts regarding it and the cbr.

psych0hans
September 30th, 2012, 06:18 AM
Congratulations, Alex ! :thumbup:

I say since she's all grown up now we shall call her Ninjalina!!!

Snafu
September 30th, 2012, 06:27 AM
Congrats!

blink
September 30th, 2012, 09:59 AM
That is actually a veerrrryyyy good looking bike!

greenaero
September 30th, 2012, 11:21 AM
Alex, Congratulations on your beautiful new bike!:thumbup:
I'm curious about the fuel economy with the new FI . Couls d you let us know what kind of mpg yu are getting?
thank you, GA

fleemos
September 30th, 2012, 11:49 AM
Are the vibes noticably less with the rubber mounted engine?

Alex
September 30th, 2012, 01:20 PM
Alex, Congratulations on your beautiful new bike!:thumbup:
I'm curious about the fuel economy with the new FI . Couls d you let us know what kind of mpg yu are getting?
thank you, GA

There's a fuel economy poll for the new 300's in the 300 tech section. :thumbup:

Are the vibes noticably less with the rubber mounted engine?

At some rpms, yes. But at others, it feels about the same. It feels buzziest around 8000 rpm, which is a pretty common speed with the new gearing. It's no buzzier than the 250, and probably a bit better even then. But at some other rpms, it feels even smoother.

snot
September 30th, 2012, 04:22 PM
Congrats on the new bike!

choneofakind
September 30th, 2012, 04:30 PM
Hey csmith12, you talked about me wearing my track day excitement like a neon sign. I think I finally have a good example of what you meant:
http://www.ciurczak.com/Motorcycles/Ninja-250-Pictures/2012-09-29-First-pics-of-2013/i-Ls7ppwz/0/X2/More-pics-of-our-new-Ninja-300-X2.jpg

Alex, this picture is great! :lol:

Jiggles
September 30th, 2012, 04:31 PM
Kid really pulls off those crocs :lol:

choneofakind
September 30th, 2012, 04:33 PM
Crocks + socks??? Does that make him a shoebee??

Gosh, Rocket Power throwback.

thomason2wheels
September 30th, 2012, 05:01 PM
I must admit i am ninja green with envy. Gorgeous in white too, Alex. Cant wait to hear more as you get to know it better....just out of curiosity, what revs are you turning at 60 mph?

Alex
September 30th, 2012, 05:23 PM
At 80 mph (actual, not indicated), the tach says the engine is turning 9000 rpm. So at 60 mph, it's somewhere around 7000 rpm, plus or minus a few hundred. I bounced off the rev limiter once today accidentally, and it did cut out at exactly 13k on the tach, so perhaps it's reasonably close to reality. That does mean that if it had the power to get there, it would hit the limiter in top gear at about 115.5 mph. It does get up to 100 reasonably easily, but another 15 on top might be a little much to ask from a stock bike, but with an effective exhaust, maybe it could surprise us.

It's now up to 290 miles on the odo. The brake feel is a little better than it was earlier, and there is enough power when you clamp down. But it's still not great, and will be upgraded when I can.

At high speed this morning in a sweeper, I hit a bump and the rear end moved around a little more than I would like. I really shouldn't have been riding at speed without having the rear suspension set more correctly for my, umm, girth, so I fixed that this afternoon. DIY to be posted shortly on how to adjust the rear shock preload. I'm hoping that having the shock at "4" will be a little more controlled under faster/stronger loads than the as-delivered "2".

csmith12
September 30th, 2012, 06:47 PM
yea Chone, if your smile got any bigger it wouldn't have fit in your helmet.

Magicride
September 30th, 2012, 07:30 PM
Congrats Alex!! I'm still waiting for my dealer to give me an update of when they'll be getting mine in. I put a deposit on a white one the 15th and called a week later and they said they would call when they know something. Hopefully soon I'll get my ninjette!:D

rusninja
October 1st, 2012, 01:44 AM
Alex So no problems :D? Help me troubleshoot because i dont think they getting anywhere with my bike dash works fine then it gaps then starts giving me like a blinky 125 mph at like 40 tach floats then goes out then sometimes come back on. Bikes still in shop. :/

menikmati
October 1st, 2012, 01:46 AM
Alex So no problems :D? Help me troubleshoot because i dont think they getting anywhere with my bike dash works fine then it gaps then starts giving me like a blinky 125 mph at like 40 tach floats then goes out then sometimes come back on. Bikes still in shop. :/

Dafuq?

rusninja
October 1st, 2012, 01:57 AM
Yup sucks bikes sitting at dealers with 57 miles It would have so much more by now.

Jiggles
October 1st, 2012, 02:10 AM
You can stop trying to cover, we all know you crashed

rusninja
October 1st, 2012, 02:20 AM
Shut up Jiggles I havent crashed it but i only rode two days knock on wood.

Surferboy120
October 1st, 2012, 06:35 AM
Shut up Jiggles I havent crashed it but i only rode two days knock on wood.

Bet it's slow because they are waiting for a new dash for you at this point. Parts being new like this could take awhile to get to them. Hope you see the road again soon enough.

Aufitt
October 1st, 2012, 06:45 AM
Charge your battery and check the terminals.
Alot of batteries die from dealers not giving it a full charge at pre delivery stage.. then it prematurely dies.

sharky nrk
October 1st, 2012, 07:43 AM
Wow, in white that thing looks like the business - love it. I am going to have to go and test ride one

CThunder-blue
October 1st, 2012, 09:26 AM
Congrats Alex! That looks better in your garage than the pics I've seen on the web. I'm not sure why people are not liking the digital speedo. IT HAS A CLOCK! I think that's pretty awesome. Maybe a speedo healer will be developed for the bike now that it has a digital speedo too.

broken neck
October 1st, 2012, 09:52 AM
Nice motorcycle...

White is the nicest one...

Out of curiosity, can you switch the speedometer from mph to kmh?

dino74
October 1st, 2012, 10:03 AM
Alex,

I'm soooo jealous :( But good for you!

What your opinion of the kick stand mount? Do you think a tracked 300 needs to have the mount cut off?

tnr4
October 1st, 2012, 11:03 AM
Quick question for you Alex: what are the deets on the break-in service? How many miles before you do it? Is it just oil change? With the new easy-access oil plug will this be an easy DIY if you grab a few quarts of oil before leaving the dealership?

I just found the first one to hit the floors within a 100 mile radius of me, so I'm getting serious. But I know I'll put several hundred miles on it in the first few days, so wondering about how to deal with getting it serviced after break-in.

Thanks!

Travis

rabies
October 1st, 2012, 11:08 AM
video of 2013 ninja 300 abuse requested. k thanx

Alex
October 1st, 2012, 11:37 AM
Out of curiosity, can you switch the speedometer from mph to kmh?

Yes, you can toggle it from mph to kmh. It seems to default to mph, as it kept it as that when I disconnected the battery (which reset the clock).

What your opinion of the kick stand mount? Do you think a tracked 300 needs to have the mount cut off?

I forgot to look at it closely. I'll take a look when I get a chance today and see if it's similar to the new-gen bikes.

Quick question for you Alex: what are the deets on the break-in service? How many miles before you do it? Is it just oil change? With the new easy-access oil plug will this be an easy DIY if you grab a few quarts of oil before leaving the dealership?

The maintenance schedule in the owners manual looks identical to the new-gen schedule. The service manual isn't available yet, at least publicly, so it's hard to tell exactly everything that is included and how exactly they plan on doing it for each service. The first service looks to be primarily an oil change and a general check of nuts/bolts/etc. I've seen the same things as posted elsewhere that the new oil filter location/design makes it possible to remove and replace it without even having to remove any bodywork.

video of 2013 ninja 300 abuse requested. k thanx

I'm old-school analog. Or at least old-school digital pictures instead of video. :)

choneofakind
October 1st, 2012, 12:03 PM
Nah, you just don't want video evidence of your crazy @$$ riding style that would put all us 25 and under riders to shame.

Right? :p

Alex
October 1st, 2012, 01:17 PM
http://i.chzbgr.com/completestore/2011/4/12/6f47dfda-18b8-458b-8423-222899afe054.jpg

speedgsx98
October 1st, 2012, 01:32 PM
THX for the thorough review Alex. I live in San Diego. So, curious what you purchased the bike for OTD? I have a 7.75% tax rate in my county.

I would like to think I could get one OTD for about $5,200...not sure how supply is on them yet though. I've been actually looking at a new Honda PCX150 scooter, but after trying out another 163cc Kymco scooter that topped out at 61mph on the test ride, I may need to get another REAL motorcycle. I'm hopeful that the 300 will be putting out much better MPG numbers than the carb'd 250 did.

Alex
October 1st, 2012, 01:35 PM
THX for the thorough review Alex. I live in San Diego. So, curious what you purchased the bike for OTD? I have a 7.75% tax rate in my county.

I would like to think I could get one OTD for about $5,200...not sure how supply is on them yet though.

A little over $6k. Not going to happen for $5200 in California this year. (I'd be truly happy for people to prove this wrong, as long as they then steer the rest of potential buyers here to the places where deals were available).

The Costco price looks to be in the $5500 - $5600 range, which is probably the bottom end of what's possible.

speedgsx98
October 1st, 2012, 01:45 PM
A little over $6k. Not going to happen for $5200 in California this year. (I'd be truly happy for people to prove this wrong, as long as they then steer the rest of potential buyers here to the places where deals were available).

The Costco price looks to be in the $5500 - $5600 range, which is probably the bottom end of what's possible.

Cool, and doesn't the Costco price inclue a $250 gift card or something?

I used to sell bikes at a big dealership and invoice was 15% off retail across the board. We'd do 10% off retail and try to make $100 or more on F&S...that is where I got my $5200 estimate from. If they were saddled with a dozen bikes then maybe, but if they're sold within days of arrival, then yeah...supply and demand.

rusninja
October 1st, 2012, 03:42 PM
So any plans for your bike alex or bare essentials like the 250 :P?

Alex
October 1st, 2012, 03:46 PM
Check out the tech section.

tnr4
October 1st, 2012, 07:52 PM
Hey Alex, sorry to keep pestering you, but you're the Guinea Pig! Three other questions: first, how are the vibrations? Second: some dude online said that he kept getting false neutrals all over the place -- have you had that problem? No one else has said it, so I assumed that it was his issue. Finally, what about that whole 'boot on the exhaust' thing. Any melting? I know it's a heat shield, but it looks awfully close for comfort.

Thanks!

Alex
October 1st, 2012, 08:19 PM

OK, I just looked at it. To me it looks like it's somewhat less intrusive than the earlier model. There is a kickstand mount that is lower than that bottom frame rail, but it's at about the same level as the folded kickstand itself. Also, it looks like if you tipped the bike all the way left, the exhaust pipe on the bottom would be likely to touch just about the same time the kickstand and the mount would. Racebikes might still take the whole thing off just to be sure, but it looks to me like it will catch less people out on the street. One of the Kawi blurbs I read somewhere talked about increased ground clearance, and I think that's legitimate.

Hey Alex, sorry to keep pestering you, but you're the Guinea Pig! Three other questions: first, how are the vibrations? Second: some dude online said that he kept getting false neutrals all over the place -- have you had that problem? No one else has said it, so I assumed that it was his issue. Finally, what about that whole 'boot on the exhaust' thing. Any melting? I know it's a heat shield, but it looks awfully close for comfort.

Vibrations are lessened at all ranges from the 250. But at some revs, not by much. It seems to me that the buzziest is right around 8000 rpm, and if you go faster or slower it smoothes out. At its buzziest, it feels no more so than my '08, and probably slightly better. No false neutrals yet, the transmission feels solid as can be. My boot does touch the exhaust, but I see no boot melting after riding the piss out of the bike all day, just a boot scuff where the heel rubs up against it. No biggee.

tnr4
October 1st, 2012, 08:24 PM
Vibrations are lessened at all ranges from the 250. But at some revs, not by much. It seems to me that the buzziest is right around 8000 rpm, and if you go faster or slower it smoothes out. At its buzziest, it feels no more so than my '08, and probably slightly better. No false neutrals yet, the transmission feels solid as can be. My boot does touch the exhaust, but I see no boot melting after riding the piss out of the bike all day, just a boot scuff where the heel rubs up against it. No biggee.

You, sir, are a patient gentleman. :thumbup:

choneofakind
October 1st, 2012, 09:12 PM
Riding the piss out of it? :) How did it stack up?

Alex
October 1st, 2012, 09:27 PM
Well. :)

(Will write more, but currently dealing with plumbing issue that takes precedence....)

choneofakind
October 1st, 2012, 09:28 PM
Good. I'll be waiting for a review.

Harry9645
October 2nd, 2012, 12:31 AM
Congrats for your new ride thumbup:

Boom King
October 2nd, 2012, 07:57 AM
So Alex, now that you've had it for a few days, what's your take on the build quality on the 300 vs the 250? Those Indonesian folks seems to be saying that the plastics are more flimsy on this new Ninja. Did you give it the good ole' tapping test? :rolleyes:

hirubhaiambani
October 2nd, 2012, 08:47 AM
So Alex, now that you've had it for a few days, what's your take on the build quality on the 300 vs the 250? Those Indonesian folks seems to be saying that the plastics are more flimsy on this new Ninja. Did you give it the good ole' tapping test? :rolleyes:

Tap test is the only thing I'll believe

:thumbup:

Alex
October 2nd, 2012, 08:56 AM
I'm still scheduling time for a thorough tapping of the bike, leaving no surface untapped. :)

(plastics are fine. The parts that are easily removable like the black plastic in between the fairing and the gas tank are thin and flexible, makes them pretty easy to pop off without bending/breaking them.)

Heed
October 2nd, 2012, 10:47 AM
I wonder how easy it is to install frame sliders on this

sze5003
October 2nd, 2012, 08:17 PM
Congrats on the new bike looks awesome! I love the speedometer too. Too bad I don't have the cash to pick one up so my 2009 will do for now. Though once I sell it, its only got two scratches on the right fairings and brake handle, I may take that money and save up to try out the 2013 model.

How much more powerful is it? How's the turning ratio, similar to the 250? I imagine it will be heavier since the 300cc?

Alex
October 2nd, 2012, 08:55 PM
It's noticeably more powerful from idle to redline. Not "yank your arms out and shoot the front wheel into the air powerful", but there's never a question of "I wonder if this has more oomph than the 250, it's hard to tell". In the midrange it means that it can smoothly pull from 4k on up. Turning ratio? Not sure exactly what you're asking here. It still is very nimble, and feels just as light. The steering does feel slightly damped and not as instant as the 250, but that's probably due to the rake being slightly more conservative, and the wider rear tire slowing tip-in, even if only slightly. It's a small thing, and it remains a bike that's extremely easy to steer & lean.

CZroe
October 2nd, 2012, 08:56 PM
I wonder how easy it is to install frame sliders on this

Kawasaki sells some, so I imagine it's easier now that the bike is likely designed for them. They market them as protectors for the engine instead of the frame.

choneofakind
October 2nd, 2012, 08:57 PM
How's the top end feel in comparison to your 08? I expected the mid-range to be improved, but the top interests me. (32mm TB's that I'm wondering if I can mate up to my efi system yo! :) )

Alex
October 2nd, 2012, 09:00 PM
Top end feels flat, like the 08-12's. There is no rush to redline like there is on the pre-gens. I'd be interested to see a dyno as well. I don't think the power is falling off as much over 11k as on the new-gens, but it doesn't feel like it's still climbing.

choneofakind
October 2nd, 2012, 09:09 PM
Hmmm, that's the same feeling I get with mine since I switched to efi. I have a much more gutsy mid-range, but my top end feels kinda flat. Honestly, my bike delivers power just like my buddy's totally stock '10 model, but more oomph. I need to get to a dyno to see what I can do with the top end.

Boom King
October 2nd, 2012, 09:11 PM
Dyno is at 0:31 of this video

L8yufAQjfE0

choneofakind
October 2nd, 2012, 09:14 PM
Those are nice numbers! 34.38 peak, 17.55 max torque, and a nice smooth power curve.

Looks good!

Jiggles
October 2nd, 2012, 09:17 PM
Hmmm, that's the same feeling I get with mine since I switched to efi. I have a much more gutsy mid-range, but my top end feels kinda flat. Honestly, my bike delivers power just like my buddy's totally stock '10 model, but more oomph. I need to get to a dyno to see what I can do with the top end.

I'd say borrow the wideband O2 sensor and tune your rich mode to a 12.8 AFR. It would also tell you if the TB's weren't capable of delivering a rich enough mixture at higher RPMs

Jiggles
October 2nd, 2012, 09:19 PM
That's exactly what I expected the 300's dyno to look like. I think with a quality Area P pipe, air filter and remapping, 40 hp wouldn't be unattainable

Boom King
October 2nd, 2012, 09:20 PM
Yup, just like Alex observed; the drop off at the top end isn't as pronounced on the 300 as it is on the 250

choneofakind
October 2nd, 2012, 09:20 PM
They're definitely capable. I've felt both rich and lean from this system. They're rich.

The injectors deliver the fuel anyway :lol:

but yeah, I want to get my hands on a wideband sensor for one side and assume the other is the same and adjust my open loop map accordingly.

Jiggles
October 2nd, 2012, 09:24 PM
They're definitely capable. I've felt both rich and lean from this system. They're rich.

The injectors deliver the fuel anyway :lol:

but yeah, I want to get my hands on a wideband sensor for one side and assume the other is the same and adjust my open loop map accordingly.

Rent the O2 sensor then, you can use the bungs you already have installed and you don't need to hit up a dyno unless you want to see the actual hp number

choneofakind
October 2nd, 2012, 09:25 PM
Yeah I know. That's what I was thinking about doing this summer. Would be more fun than the dyno anyways.

Surferboy120
October 2nd, 2012, 09:30 PM
That's exactly what I expected the 300's dyno to look like. I think with a quality Area P pipe, air filter and remapping, 40 hp wouldn't be unattainable

They also dropped compression on the 300 a point so with little effort and not minding going back to running 91+ octane the bike should make more by bumping compression up. Thats more of a mid grade mod but still its not hard.

I am itching to get my hands on a AreaP full exhaust and ecu management for this thing.

Jiggles
October 2nd, 2012, 09:37 PM
They also dropped compression on the 300 a point so with little effort and not minding going back to running 91+ octane the bike should make more by bumping compression up.

:confused: 2fiddy runs on 87

Alex
October 2nd, 2012, 09:45 PM
Right, I think he was saying if you went the other way to bump the compression back up (by using smaller gasket, shaving the head, whatever), there's plenty of space to do so, and then you might need to go to a higher octane fuel to keep things happy. If the bike already required 91, there's less room to up compression for more power before things get more stressed.

Surferboy120
October 2nd, 2012, 09:47 PM
:confused: 2fiddy runs on 87

11.6.1 compression should run 91+ You can run cheap stuff but detonation is not as easily fought off which is why anything above 11 should run 91+ octane.

With the 300 they dropped compression to 10.6.1 so people could run 87 without detonation issues.

Surferboy120
October 2nd, 2012, 09:48 PM
Right, I think he was saying if you went the other way to bump the compression back up (by using smaller gasket, shaving the head, whatever), there's plenty of space to do so, and then you might need to go to a higher octane fuel to keep things happy. If the bike already required 91, there's less room to up compression for more power before things get more stressed.

Exactly....

Jiggles
October 2nd, 2012, 09:52 PM
But so, the ninja 250's compression is 11.6:1 and it runs on and is meant to run on 87. That's what I was getting at. You said "back to" 91 but we were never at 91 to begin with

Alex
October 2nd, 2012, 09:53 PM
That's true. 87 was recommended on the new-gens as well. But now we have even more room to play with things before things get closer to detonation or other limits. The static compression ratio isn't the only determinant of whether high octane fuel is required (it's related, but there is no absolute scale that "this number = premium required"). Valve timing, bore size, piston design, materials, and a bunch of other design choices all play a role.

Surferboy120
October 2nd, 2012, 09:59 PM
General rule of thumb is that once you hit compression levels in the 11+ range you really need to run premium gas. Once you get into the 12+ then even greater than 93 octane is generally needed.

As Alex stated.. my point is that the 300 with its lower stock compression ratio give us one more avenue to exploit a bit more power from it if desired with little effort.

Jiggles
October 2nd, 2012, 10:07 PM
I want a 300 motor in my 250 now....

menikmati
October 2nd, 2012, 10:08 PM
I want a 300 motor in my 250 now....

DIY timezzzzzzzz.

Alex
October 2nd, 2012, 10:08 PM
General rule of thumb is that once you hit compression levels in the 11+ range you really need to run premium gas.

Right, but that's not universal, for some of the reasons I listed. The pre-gen ninjettes had a compression ratio over 12 and still were rated for 87 octane. The new-gen ninjettes with 11.6 also were 87 octane, and now that we're into the 10's with the 300's; they are still rated for 87 octane.

Jiggles
October 2nd, 2012, 10:13 PM
I wonder how different the new engine mounts are. I'll see if I can get a 300 engine from rusninja since he totaled his

rusninja
October 3rd, 2012, 01:35 AM
Shut up punk i might get my bike back tomorrow they sending kawi teck + a gauge and if gauge is the problem and only problem i should be riding soon :]

Surferboy120
October 3rd, 2012, 06:37 AM
Right, but that's not universal, for some of the reasons I listed. The pre-gen ninjettes had a compression ratio over 12 and still were rated for 87 octane. The new-gen ninjettes with 11.6 also were 87 octane, and now that we're into the 10's with the 300's; they are still rated for 87 octane.

Totally agree which is why I said generally.

This motor "appears" to have a lot of potential it is very exciting.

LoD575
October 3rd, 2012, 04:54 PM
Sweet looking bike Alex.

rusninja
October 4th, 2012, 12:08 AM
Got my bike back instead of 57 miles i have 25 now 5 that they were testing >.> seems like its functioning good hopefully the problems are over. Now i have to train so if you ever set up a group ride alex. x]

psych0hans
October 4th, 2012, 12:21 AM
Got my bike back instead of 57 miles i have 25 now 5 that they were testing >.> seems like its functioning good hopefully the problems are over. Now i have to train so if you ever set up a group ride alex. x]

That's a beautiful bike :D glad you got it sorted out!!!

Sapper
October 8th, 2012, 01:29 PM
100% agree with your thoughts/observations., except the dash doesn't bother me at all; just comparing it to the old 250s, not a supersport or anything though.

Brake feel sucks, everything else is great

lgk
October 8th, 2012, 03:29 PM
100% agree with your thoughts/observations., except the dash doesn't bother me at all; just comparing it to the old 250s, not a supersport or anything though.

Brake feel sucks, everything else is great

whats wrong with the brakes?

Sapper
October 8th, 2012, 04:32 PM
whats wrong with the brakes?

They just don't bite like good brakes, you have to really get on the (front) brakes but when you do they are adequate

lgk
October 8th, 2012, 04:42 PM
They just don't bite like good brakes, you have to really get on the (front) brakes but when you do they are adequate

could it be an issue of break in?
or the pads just not that good?

2013 kawi girl
October 8th, 2012, 06:52 PM
Glad to hear that you got your bike, Alex. I have a question for you. I saw that you are using Pitbull stand. I have those same stand but what mm adapter are you using for the steering stem neck? It will be super helpful when I change my oil at 300 miles.

Jiggles
October 8th, 2012, 06:55 PM
Glad to hear that you got your bike, Alex. I have a question for you. I saw that you are using Pitbull stand. I have those same stand but what mm adapter are you using for the steering stem neck? It will be super helpful when I change my oil at 300 miles.

You lift the front and the back to do an oil change?

Sapper
October 8th, 2012, 07:21 PM
You lift the front and the back to do an oil change?

You don't have to lift either but it is easier to see the oil level and if you lift one end you should lift the other to properly see the oil level

Jiggles
October 8th, 2012, 07:24 PM
Ah that's a good point, I usually just lift the back for all the clearance I need.

Alex
October 8th, 2012, 07:26 PM
could it be an issue of break in?
or the pads just not that good?

They've gotten a little better, now approaching 500 miles. But they still aren't great. They aren't sintered pads like on the new-gens. They are resin/organic on the non-abs bikes, but are supposed to be sintered on the abs bikes. I went looking to see if EBC had a fitment yet for the 300's, and it doesn't look like it. The shape appears to be different than the new-gen brake pads.

I'm using the #2 pin. It's the same one I use for the 10R, and I'm too lazy to swap the pin out each time. It fits more than well enough to hold the bike securely. :thumbup:

Sapper
October 8th, 2012, 07:26 PM

I just did my first oil change at 600, super easy on this bike but the filter was screwed on by Hercules so I needed a filter wrench.

I prefer the Pitbull stand that uses the front forks..

http://i945.photobucket.com/albums/ad292/ArmyStrongMD/FFBEE50E-5FD9-4DDD-9892-11418A43BFD2-457-00000036EE9C9837.jpg

Jiggles
October 8th, 2012, 07:31 PM
I just did my first oil change at 600, super easy on this bike but the filter was screwed on by Hercules so I needed a filter wrench.

When I was reading about oil changes for the n1k I heard about people getting some air pocket or something with the oil filters. When you'd start the bike it wouldn't pump oil and the oil light would be on, no clue if its just n1k's or if it can happen to any kawi with these cartridge oil filters. Anyway, the solution was to fill the oil filter with oil before installing it, did you do this?

Alex How do you do the oil change on the zx10? If you don't fill the oil filter beforehand have you ever had the oil not flow directly after doing an oil change?

Alex
October 8th, 2012, 07:34 PM
Alex How do you do the oil change on the zx10?

http://static5.businessinsider.com/image/4f5935e1ecad04dd6d00006c/american-express-premier-rewards-gold-card.jpg

Jiggles
October 8th, 2012, 07:37 PM
http://i21.photobucket.com/albums/b276/seanvoight/most%20used%20pics/819603_zpsd70d8028.jpg

Alex
October 8th, 2012, 07:45 PM
Couple more thoughts on the bike after a fun ride on Saturday (http://www.ninjette.org/forums/showthread.php?t=116153) (info and video in the Ride Reports section):

Brake feel is a little better than it was, but probably as good as it's going to get. Still want new pads.
Rear suspension is much better balanced after I bumped the preload up a few notches
Seat isn't as uncomfortable as I had thought; no issues after two 200 mile days.
OEM tires can be used right to the edge, but the feel isn't the best at full lean.
Yes, you can step the rear out under power when it is leaned over. It helps if the road is a little dusty/dirty. :)
The bike feels like it has much less engine braking than I remember on prior ninjettes. It might be due to running the revs slightly lower in normal use.
Zero wobble in the front end when decelerating with no hands on the bars. Will see if this remains a-ok as the tires wear.
Fuel mileage remains better than the 250 for me, but not nearly to the extent that has been shared in some early reviews. Check out the fuel mileage poll for details.
Clutch pull is super-easy, but the feel of the clutch engagement is a bit soft. If you are accelerating hard, and clutch in and out quickly, it seems as if it takes a moment for the clutch to fully bite and start driving in the next gear. It doesn't slip, it just seems like it takes longer than expected to hook up.
Hit 102 on the GPS on a flat road, tucked moderately. Felt like it had 4 or 5 more mph in it. It is gearing limited at 115 mph at redline in 6th, I'm not sure if a stock bike could pull that; probably not with someone my-sized on top of it.

Boom King
October 8th, 2012, 08:06 PM
Do you find the improved low and mid-range torque makes the 300 pull better around the city. How's the protection from the windscreen and is it still all elbows in the side mirrors?

CZroe
October 8th, 2012, 08:06 PM

I prefer the Pitbull stand that uses the front forks..

http://i945.photobucket.com/albums/ad292/ArmyStrongMD/FFBEE50E-5FD9-4DDD-9892-11418A43BFD2-457-00000036EE9C9837.jpg
But some of the work you need the front end up for requires a head/triple-tree stand (fork job, triple swap, etc. Triple-tree stand FTW.

Alex
October 8th, 2012, 08:11 PM
Do you find the improved low and mid-range torque makes the 300 pull better around the city. How's the protection from the windscreen and is it still all elbows in the side mirrors?

Yes, the increased torque is easily noticeable. Wind protection seems similar as any sportbike; if you're tucked in it's fine; if you're sitting straight up you're in the wind. Mirrors seem like they are a fractionally wider, but it seems like it's harder for me to get my elbows out of the way of them. YMMV.

But some of the work you need the front end up for requires a head/triple-tree stand (fork job, triple swap, etc. Triple-tree stand FTW.

:thumbup: The triple-tree stand is bulletproof, allowing you to turn the bars all the way in either direction when you're working on things around the handlebars, and it's impossible for the bike to fall off.

Alex
October 8th, 2012, 11:23 PM
Saw a picture of my bike when it was still in the crate:

These appear to be coming almost completely assembled; even the wheels are already in place.

Jiggles
October 8th, 2012, 11:27 PM
Assembly - $500

What is this fee? What am I paying for?

We put the mirrors on.

Oh...

Yep.

Somchai
October 9th, 2012, 12:50 AM

Mike, you must be right, cos that's the same the motorcycle-tester in Germany talk about.

ally99
October 10th, 2012, 07:22 AM
Gorgeous bike, Alex. I'm REALLY tempted to sell my 250 and buy one, but have to save money for now since I just bought a track bike. lol! I'm jealous though and LOVE YOUR BIKE! :)

Apex
October 10th, 2012, 06:07 PM
Gorgeous bike, Alex. I'm REALLY tempted to sell my 250 and buy one, but have to save money for now since I just bought a track bike. lol! I'm jealous though and LOVE YOUR BIKE! :)
Hey, you can't sell your "slip 'n slide"! :D

KELPHYN
October 11th, 2012, 12:04 AM
Saw a picture of my bike when it was still in the crate:

These appear to be coming almost completely assembled; even the wheels are already in place.

That's pretty much how my '08 came, took it out of the crate myself. Just had to install windscreen, handle bars, battery, seat and side panels (had dealer charge the battery day before); a little gas and vroom. Saved myself a couple hundred bucks doing the PDI myself.

Was kind of expecting it to be in more pieces. When I used to stop by one of the bike shops back in the '80's, he would let us help put together the new bikes and quads. there was a LOT more assembly back then. Could take you all day to put a bike together, Now... I was done and out the door in like a hour.

ally99
October 11th, 2012, 03:20 AM
Hey, you can't sell your "slip 'n slide"! :D

Ha! Slip n slide. Awesome! :thumbup:

msebastian
October 11th, 2012, 10:14 PM
Is the Ninja decal on the tank under the clear coat or is it removable. I have to wait for awhile to get my bike. I put a $1,000 down payment down and was told they only got 2 of the 17 pre orders and I was number 18. Thats cool though since I wont be able to ride until late Feb. or early Mar. I asked for them to call me when some more come in so I can at least look at the bike and sit on it.

Byakkotai
October 11th, 2012, 10:25 PM
600 mile service yet?

Alex
October 12th, 2012, 12:14 AM
Nope - but soon.

Magicride
October 12th, 2012, 12:15 AM
Is the Ninja decal on the tank under the clear coat or is it removable.

It's under the clear coat :(

snot
October 13th, 2012, 06:26 PM
Due to my height i lowered my 250, do you know if the same kit from roaring toyzs can be used to lower the 300? Is the suspension the same?

Alex
October 13th, 2012, 07:48 PM
Not sure. I know the wheelbase is slightly different, and the ground clearance is supposed to be a little higher. That implies that the suspension was changed in some ways, but hard to tell exactly how until people can compare them more carefully back to back.

choneofakind
October 13th, 2012, 09:28 PM
Raise the tail!!! :D moar handling

Kurosaki
October 14th, 2012, 02:32 AM
If I felt I had a small bike need in the future, I'd definitely put one of these on my wishlist. At the moment though, my 250's days in my garage may be numbered. We'll see.

The seat probably feels harder because its new. I noticed that compared to my old 250 with 13k miles, my new used one with 3k on it was much harder. It just needs a couple hundred hours of butt time break in

"Faster than Kurosaki's ninjette"

ah hell nawwww

CZroe
October 14th, 2012, 02:39 AM
If I felt I had a small bike need in the future, I'd definitely put one of these on my wishlist. At the moment though, my 250's days in my garage may be numbered. We'll see.

ah hell nawwww

Kurosaki's back!

And falling for the [you.] function like a n00b. ;)

Kurosaki
October 14th, 2012, 11:00 AM
I lurk

and stuff

Jiggles
October 14th, 2012, 02:52 PM

ah hell nawwww

It's not hard since your bike is so slow

Alex
October 14th, 2012, 08:33 PM
Just nudged over 600 miles today, after another trip up Mt. Hamilton. Planned to head to Marin this morning, but slept just a bit later than expected. Pics up:

Another trip up Mt. Hamilton on the 300 (http://www.ninjette.org/forums/showthread.php?t=116919)

Alex
October 16th, 2012, 04:41 PM
600 mile service scheduled for saturday after next. They may have been able to fit me in this weekend, but it would have been first-come first-served, and they only have one tech on the books this weekend. Means I won't be putting too many miles on it this weekend, but the other bikes have been sitting for a little while anyway, and are probably due for a ride. Thanks to the 300, of course. :)