View Full Version : New saddle bags

GreezMunky
January 7th, 2009, 05:01 PM
Well I finally got my saddle / tank bags in. Usually on the weekends I make a trip back home to Waco Friday and then come back Sunday afternoon. 3 hours both ways. Last weekend was rough because of the sudden cold front that came in. Freezing rain that night.. Anyways, had to figure something out because making that trip with only a backpack loaded down with stuff was killing my back. Here's the picture, what do y'all think?

http://farm4.static.flickr.com/3124/3178382788_426530abc6.jpg?v=0

I was a little annoyed I couldn't get the seat cowl to lock down because the padding from the bags were getting in the way and I really don't feel like cutting the bags up just yet.. So it looks like I'll be going cowl less on long trips.

kkim
January 7th, 2009, 06:01 PM
Looks like you're ready for the trip. :)

If you still need a bit more room, you could also add a small tail bag to the mix. I use one on my commute and it stays on well.

NJD022588
January 7th, 2009, 06:54 PM
Looks nice! I'm still using a backpack to carry everything i need.

MrTiddles
January 7th, 2009, 07:16 PM
Where'd you get these at? I'm intrigued.

GreezMunky
January 7th, 2009, 07:20 PM
Saddle bags and tank bag are from the same place..

http://www.motosport.com/dirtbike/product/NELSON-RIGG-CLASSIC-MINI-SADDLEBAGS/?catalogId=104886

http://www.motosport.com/street/product/JOE-ROCKET-MANTA-TANK-BAG/?prodId=958782&nav=&sMMY=

camaroz1985
January 7th, 2009, 08:52 PM
I think you have them on backward ;)

Do you run the strap under the seat? I have just benn putting mine over the seat.

GreezMunky
January 8th, 2009, 04:19 AM
I think you have them on backward ;)

Do you run the strap under the seat? I have just benn putting mine over the seat.

Well I'll be damned, from the looks of that picture I do. Whenever I get home from work I'll have to investigate because the straps all go where they should go..

I ran the strap under the seat.

TnNinjaGirl
January 8th, 2009, 06:09 AM
It looks fine the way it is, pretty sleek. Besides, all of us non-greenowners need all the extra speed we can get from what I understand. If it works and looks good I'd keep it. But then again... you didn't ask me.

camaroz1985
January 8th, 2009, 07:22 AM
Well I'll be damned, from the looks of that picture I do. Whenever I get home from work I'll have to investigate because the straps all go wear they should go..

I ran the strap under the seat.

Well if it works, and you like it that way keep it like that. I have mine the opposite way, and it works fine too. I think we just have the buckle-on straps on the opposite ends (both with the long ones toward the front).

The only thing is it doesn't look like you have them full, and when you fill them they might hang a little bit lower toward the exhaust. If you turn them around it gives you more clearance.

Sailariel
January 8th, 2009, 04:21 PM
Greez, I got mine from Sam`s Club, also sold at VIP Auto. Tank bag, saddle bags, and tail bag, $127.00 delivered to m door. They appear to strap on like yours. I flop mine over the seat and strap them down. Mine look very much like yours.

GreezMunky
January 8th, 2009, 05:42 PM
*grins sheepishly* So I got home tonight from work and ran to Home Depot for a few things and when I got home I threw the bags back on, but the other way this time.. MUCH better fit, lol. Might even get the seat cowl on, but I bought some velcro and applied it to the cowl and bike so I'm letting them bond for a bit before trying it out. I'll get a new picture up when its light out again so y'all can see.

kkim
January 8th, 2009, 07:46 PM
Don't feel bad. I've seen others on forums mount them backwards when they first got them, too. Enjoy the trip, but please be careful.

BTW, how much stuff are you planning on packing? Approximate weight?

Strider
January 9th, 2009, 07:46 PM
Now it's screaming " Road Trip " !
I need saddle bags myself ... I have a 'home-made' tail bag (I use a Sony camera bag)
but those saddle bags could add so much more storage!
Good job :thumbup:

GreezMunky
January 9th, 2009, 07:55 PM
Don't feel bad. I've seen others on forums mount them backwards when they first got them, too. Enjoy the trip, but please be careful.

BTW, how much stuff are you planning on packing? Approximate weight?

Ick, thanks for bumping this thread back up Strider, I didn't see Kkim's reply. Yeah, they've been screaming road trip to me too. Just no where to go and the military frowns upon us just getting up and disappearing a few hundred miles away from base without doing ridiculous amounts of paperwork. - Which most of the time doesn't get approved anyways.

Kkim, to tell you the truth I haven't seen what all I can fit in them. I do know my laptop is just a little too wide :( to zip it in. I won't be going back to Waco for a few weeks, but when I do and pack up, I'll let you know.

kkim
January 9th, 2009, 08:03 PM
Just remember that if you load it up and it's heavy (100 pounds or so) you might want to bump the rear shock up a notch or at least be aware the bike will not handle quite like you are used to. It will turn "slower" than without the loaded bags in corners and curves.

GreezMunky
January 9th, 2009, 08:04 PM
Hmmm, yes yes Kkim thanks for reminding me. That hadn't even crossed my mind yet.

TnNinjaGirl
January 10th, 2009, 07:45 AM
Kinda off topic, but If you can put like 100lbs in those things, that about the same weight as a small person. If you wanted to ride 2-up would saddle bags loaded down help train the driver a little in handling a loaded down bike?

GreezMunky
January 10th, 2009, 08:45 AM
I don't know NinjaGirl, maybe.. I haven't even gathered the courage yet to attempt to ride 2-up. One of these days..

kkim
January 10th, 2009, 11:41 AM
I would not recommend riding "2 up" until you are very proficient at riding "one up". :)

TnNinjaGirl
January 10th, 2009, 01:53 PM
I understand that, I'm just curious if it'd be good training. There's no way I'd endanger someone I love on the back of my bike just for a couple minutes of fun.

kkim
January 10th, 2009, 01:59 PM
I'm sure it would, but I would think you would have saddlebags on there long before being proficient enough to carry a passenger. In fact, carrying saddlebags may be good practice for getting ready to pack someone, from a weight load perspective.

Not a dig at you, just stating things as a general observation. :)

TnNinjaGirl
January 10th, 2009, 02:01 PM
I appreciate you looking out for me. Good to have those people around.

k-os
January 10th, 2009, 02:44 PM
I don't think the saddlebags will be able to emulate the change of your center of gravity when riding two up.

kkim
January 10th, 2009, 02:50 PM
not completely, but it will give you some idea of how it feels to have more weight behind you and how it affects the bike.

camaroz1985
January 12th, 2009, 07:25 AM
Don't forget the aspect of someone moving around while riding with you. In that way saddle bags are nothing like 2 up riding.