View Full Version : Tall dude on a 250r. Got a question.

MrTiddles
January 7th, 2009, 07:20 PM
Well, I'm new to riding, had my 250 since August, and the one thing I've got to complain about is the fact that for a 6'1" dude, it's a bit uncomfortable to ride. The main culprit, it seems, is the peg position.

I have decided that If I could drop the pegs 1" down and 2" back, I'd be set, but I'm not sure if that's possible with the available sets.

Suggestions? Just buy a bigger bike? lol...

Alex
January 7th, 2009, 07:28 PM
Suggestions?

Ibuprofen. :D I haven't seen any of the rearsets yet available for the '08+ ninjettes, so I'm not sure if any of them would allow such a change downward and back. Upward and back, sure, but that's what they're typically made for, to give additional ground clearance. Depending on how aggressively you ride, I'm not sure how much you'd be able to lower the pegs before cutting into the ground clearance that you currently enjoy.

One option would be getting a custom seat that is significantly higher than stock. It could provide the additional space from seat to pegs that you're looking for.

A cheaper option would be to take a trip to a Kawi dealer and fold yourself onto a ZX-6R for a 15 minute stint, then get back on the ninjette and realize how much extra legroom we have on our 250's. :p

MrTiddles
January 7th, 2009, 07:33 PM
See, I occasionally have the opportunity to ride my friend's '08 GSXR600, and I find it to be a FAR more comfortable ride, as far as legs are concerned (nevermind the mega-forward lean).

I guess I can deal with it. If it really bothers me a lot, I can usually lean on the tank and put my feet on the rear pegs lol.

Eventually I'd like to get a Triumph Daytona 675, after riding for a year or two. I'll have to find one to sit on.

Alex
January 7th, 2009, 07:40 PM
That is pretty interesting actually, and unexpected. I wonder if the mega forward lean is what's giving you the additional space, even if the seat-peg distance on the GSX-R may be tighter than on the ninjette. Maybe more forward-mounted clip-ons on the ninjette would help? :idunno:

I'll have to find one to sit on.

I've found that sitting on a stationary motorcycle is a poor determinant of whether I'll be comfortable on it for a 3 hr ride. Sportbikes in particular, especially the most aggressive ones, feel awful when stopped with all of that weight on your arms no matter how much you try and use your mid-section to keep you up. But once at speed, everything feels much more natural and the effect of the windblast takes a surprising amount of pressure off, and I find the bikes become much more comfortable. Alternatively, sometimes the bikes that feel like comfy couches when stopped, cause discomfort on longer rides because of too much pressure on the tailbone when sitting almost straight up and down, or uncomfortable arm position that's not apparent while in the showroom. YMMV. But I'd recommend finding a friend with the bike you're looking at, whenever and whatever you're looking at, to take it for as long a spin as feasible to figure out how it really works for you.

MrTiddles
January 7th, 2009, 07:43 PM
Well, the main complaint I have is that my legs rest on the edges of the body line of the tank. When I say body line, I mean the outermost edges of the tank. Check it.

http://www.powersportsnetwork.com/powersportsdlr/images/NewVehicles/2008_4_GSX-R600_BlackMatte2.jpg

Notice how high the body line is on the tank for the GSXR. My legs fit PERFECT inside of that, and thus makes me feel more like I'm in control of the bike, and less like I'm just "on" the bike.

Am I making sense? Maybe I can just get a new tank or something eventually.

Alex
January 7th, 2009, 08:07 PM
Makes sense to me. If you're comfy on a GSX-R and are trying to find a way to have similar comfort on a ninjette, I'm confident you can find a way to make that work. There's no turning a ninjette into a Gold Wing, but it's not like you're going into this with unrealistic expectations in the least. Good luck...

Angel-be-Good
January 7th, 2009, 08:25 PM
Have you tried pushing your butt as far back as it'll go on your seat? When I started riding I was basically dry humping the tank, but now I push my butt into the rubber stopper on my rear cowl and I feel it lets my legs fit alongside the tank even better.

NJD022588
January 7th, 2009, 08:29 PM
I think rearsets might fix your problem. I will eventually be looking into them since I'm having close to the same problem. With rearsets, your feet will be a little higher and further back, which will lower your knees. I feel this would be a much more comfortable riding position.

I have seen some rearsets already being sold, and some companies are still working on them.

Strider
January 7th, 2009, 08:31 PM
I'm 6'0'' myself, and I don't have any problems with comfort, but then again, I have short legs :rolleyes:

If your having troubles you might want to try a custom seat, more foam padding may help. There's a place here in NC that makes nice seats, I found it will searching the net for custom seats...

www.meancitycycles.com in Maiden NC

I wouldn't lower my pegs, that's for sure. Clearance is a big deal to me ...

Just my 2cents

MrTiddles
January 7th, 2009, 08:36 PM
I appreciate all the help guys. I don't ride my bike real crazy-like, but the clearance could be an issue. My main thing I guess is that I'd really like to TRY the rearsets before buying them, just to be sure they'd fix the problem and not exacerbate it.

R.Sallee, I've tried that, but it makes me feel like I'm falling off the back of the bike. I'll just have to try both for a distance and see which one hurts more lol.

Again, thanks guys. Any more suggestions are of course still welcome.

kkim
January 7th, 2009, 08:38 PM
I think just giving your height can be misleading... I would think it would have more to do with how long your legs are. What's your inseam length?

MrTiddles
January 7th, 2009, 08:39 PM
Usually I go with a 34" inseam.

CRXTrek
January 7th, 2009, 09:49 PM
Here's a link to putting Buell pegs on to change location
http://www.kawiforums.com/showthread.php?t=105399
:cool:

MrTiddles
January 7th, 2009, 09:53 PM
*hugs*

1 arm, 1.4 seconds. Don't wanna break any rules.

kkim
January 7th, 2009, 10:09 PM
*hugs*

1 arm, 1.4 seconds. Don't wanna break any rules.no tongue, either! :kiss:

Angel-be-Good
January 8th, 2009, 08:07 PM
R.Sallee, I've tried that, but it makes me feel like I'm falling off the back of the bike. I'll just have to try both for a distance and see which one hurts more lol.
If you don't have a rear seat cowl, might try one out--it gives your arse something to bump into and holds you in place.

Another thing to consider is to ride with your toes on the pegs instead of your heel. I was feeling around today on my way home and the knee-height difference between heels on the pegs and toes on the pegs is a good two inches or more.

MrTiddles
January 8th, 2009, 08:10 PM
yeah I'm usually a toe-on-the-pegs guy.

I do have a seat cowl as well.

Maybe I'm just a whiner. I'll shut up.

mattzz
January 8th, 2009, 08:54 PM
Hm, I haven't ridden the 2008 Ninja yet. Mine is a '94 and I'm 6'5. No problems. Toes on pegs, butt pushed back.

Dan Kyle
January 9th, 2009, 02:49 PM
Here is one posibility, Sato Rear sets.

http://www.satoracing.com/rearsetsninja250.htm

POSITIONS
1 30mm Back 10mm Up
2 30mm Back 20mm Up
3 40mm Back 20mm Up
4 40mm Back 30mm Up
5 50mm Back 30mm Up