View Full Version : AFX FX-39 helmet question

rabies
October 4th, 2012, 10:49 AM
im aware the helmet is for moto/dirt related riding. its DOT approved so why not a normal motorcyle helmet? i like it.
one is that it has a visor and shield. i dig that.
heres the link to mentioned helmet
http://www.ebay.com/itm/190689162779?ssPageName=STRK:MEWAX:IT&_trksid=p3984.m1423.l2649

my question is, does anyone here have this helmet?
how much more can you see from the large shield over a normal helmet?
my main concern is having a full face helmet but being able to see the most.
i wish army posts alllowed half helmets or 3/4 :/

GreenNinja
October 4th, 2012, 11:13 AM
I don't know anything about the helmet but what army base are you at? Ft Gordon doesn't care which helmet you wear as long as there is a DOT sticker on the helmet. There are many people I know that wear 1/2 helmets on base. Imagine how angry the harley riders would be if they were required to wear something that taints their image.

rabies
October 4th, 2012, 11:23 AM
rock island arsenal. thats there code here. they follow army regs plus more. its silly.

rabies
October 24th, 2012, 06:15 AM
update. helmet is very nice. i have more of a view looking out than other helmet.
it fits nice. it has a rollerskate type rachet chin strap which is handy for gloves.
with gloves on i couldnt get normal strap through loops done.
the sheild closes with a snap. and holds shut on the highway if my head is faces other directions...
its kinda of a pain to replace the shield. i bought a dark tinted version.
theres very limited headlift on the highway with the visor. if you lift you head or look behind you then youl feel the difference with the visor.
it has no provisioned space for headphones.

overall a very nice helmet for $120 come to find out AFX makes the helmets...i seen a FLY helmet, exactly the same. but fly is a brand not manufacturer. so they buy them and slap their name on it and rack the price up a tad..
i found the same helmet now for $90 on ebay.

camaroz1985
October 24th, 2012, 06:38 AM
I too have this helmet. It is a good warm weather helmet. It gets a lot of airflow, and visibility is very good. I did buy the sunshield that goes over the standard shield, and that made it almost perfect for me. There is supposed to be a chin curtain available, and that would make it much more livable in cold weather. For now I will wear my Bell Revolver for the winter months.