View Full Version : powder coat exhaust's heat shield black.

eddieA6987
October 4th, 2012, 09:02 PM
I'm not sure why but that is the first thing i thought of when i saw this bike. Maybe because the new zx6r has its hest shield in black and it looks good.
I just might go for it. But is powder coating what i shoukd be doing to this? Does it matter that it gets hot enough to cook an egg?

psych0hans
October 4th, 2012, 09:09 PM
I'm not sure why but that is the first thing i thought of when i saw this bike. Maybe because the new zx6r has its hest shield in black and it looks good.
I just might go for it. But is powder coating what i shoukd be doing to this? Does it matter that it gets hot enough to cook an egg?

I believe powder coating is baked at 200-220 degrees to cure. The temperature of your muffler should not ideally exceed that. I have recently powder coated my muffler black and have faced no issues because of it.

http://i77.photobucket.com/albums/j44/psych0hans/Ninja%20250r/Photoshoot/file-2.jpg

eddieA6987
October 5th, 2012, 06:19 AM
Oh that looks good. Yeah i had no idea of how powder coating works but thanks for the info looks like ill give it a go.

Rekognize
October 5th, 2012, 07:26 AM
If you're in a tight budget, Plasti Dip works well.

Mehbs300
October 5th, 2012, 05:32 PM
How does the plasti dip hold up to the heat?
I have never used it, I'm considering grabbing a can and having a bit of a play with laying down some lines/graphics, if it looks rubbish can just peel it off and pretend it never happened. Who knows I might just come up with something decent.

93etgocart
October 5th, 2012, 05:38 PM
I believe the ovens at work reach up to 360 degrees. Granted those are big playground parts

Rekognize
October 5th, 2012, 05:41 PM
How does the plasti dip hold up to the heat

Plasti Dip is good up to 200F so it should hold up fine :thumbup:

want1sobad
October 20th, 2012, 05:25 PM
pcing is fine for the muffler, if you want to do the header or midpipe, it is recc. that you go with ceramic due to the higher temps.

massacremasses
October 23rd, 2012, 03:30 PM
Powder coating is closer usually closer to 400 degrees. (ask me how I know) I have seen some bake at slightly lower temps but it all depends on the material in the oven. :rock:

We bake at 420 ;)

ricochet08
October 23rd, 2012, 06:59 PM
when friends of mine powder coat, they bake the items at 400* for about 10 minutes

psych0hans
October 23rd, 2012, 10:35 PM
when friends of mine powder coat, they bake the items at 400* for about 10 minutes

Powder coating is closer usually closer to 400 degrees. (ask me how I know) I have seen some bake at slightly lower temps but it all depends on the material in the oven. :rock:

We bake at 420 ;)

You guys talking in *F or *C? As a company we consume over a 1000Kgs of Powder every week and our baking temp has always been 220*C for 60mins. But then I guess there would be several grades of powder, so ours is probably different.

beerhalffull
October 23rd, 2012, 11:22 PM
You guys talking in *F or *C? As a company we consume over a 1000Kgs of Powder every week and our baking temp has always been 220*C for 60mins. But then I guess there would be several grades of powder, so ours is probably different.

They're all using Fahrenheit.

I don't recommend Plasti Dip on the exhaust. There are high temp paints available though.

massacremasses
October 24th, 2012, 09:36 AM
In the US we use Fahrenheit.