View Full Version : Clutch Adjustment

JBinSD
October 8th, 2012, 03:35 PM
So my clutch engages ridiculously high, like almost all the way out, is spinning the nut next to the lever the only way to control the travel before engagement? (Didn't seem to effect it at all) I'm an idiot with a wrench, so feel free to overstate the obvious. Thanx,
Joel

alex.s
October 8th, 2012, 03:48 PM
haven't had a chance to look at the 300 yet, but there should be the standard adjuster at the handle bar lever, as well as another adjuster at the clutch pull mechanism on the right side of the engine where the cable attaches to the clutch pull lever on the engine... should be two 10mm nuts on either side of the holder plate, loosen the bottom nut, then you can pull it out a bit so you can move the top nut to adjust it, then tighten the bottom nut back down.

JBinSD
October 8th, 2012, 04:05 PM
Thanx Alex, I'll give it a try tonight.:thumbup:

2013 kawi girl
October 8th, 2012, 08:24 PM
And remember this bike has a slipper clutch. It has a short friction zone, basically built with racing in mind (one or two finger shift style). I can literally shift with my thumb and index finger and I'm a girl... heeeheeheee!!!! Clutch engagement is almost at full release to allow this type of shifting. However, you can adjust it slightly to engage sooner by spinning (clockwise will allow for engagement sooner; counter clockwise engagement later) the adjuster at the end of the clutch lever. I wouldn't recommend changing the position of the cable located on the clutch arm.

alex.s
October 8th, 2012, 09:45 PM
There shouldn't be much play. If you want to adjust the default position if the levers you want adjustable levers. Not sure but I don't think the 300 levers are adjustable. Check out pazzo levers or cheap ebay knockoffs that fade like "the2wheels" (popular seller)

Rekognize
October 9th, 2012, 04:51 PM
Heh, they won't fade if you just get it in silver

darkwings
February 2nd, 2013, 01:05 PM
I'm having the same issue. my hand barely extends far enough to use the friction zone. im doing almost all my clutch handling with the tips of my fingers and its extremely difficult to do anything accurately. about half of my starts have been jumping off the line instead of smooth.
has anyone changed the clutch levers yet? do the old 250r ones work or do i need to wait for companies to eventually come out with some for the 300?

CZroe
February 4th, 2013, 10:41 AM
My entire friction zone is also in the last tiny bit of lever travel as I release it.

DaBlue1
February 4th, 2013, 03:59 PM
....has anyone changed the clutch levers yet? do the old 250r ones work or do i need to wait for companies to eventually come out with some for the 300?

I've seen the adjustable levers for Ninja 250 work. Rideit (http://www.rideitmoto.com/products.php?id=9) has adjustable levers for the 300.

Surferboy120
February 10th, 2013, 07:56 AM
I agree adjustable levers are a great solution. Thats what i did.

Xplorguy
March 22nd, 2013, 01:32 PM
I agree adjustable levers are a great solution. Thats what i did.

Surfer! Did you go with the Rideit levers? If so, are you pleased with the quality?
Anyone else with opinion on adjustable levers for the 300? Long or short?

felo
March 22nd, 2013, 01:48 PM
imo, i like it that it engages at almost at full release, i can do fast shifting with 2 fingers, awesome imo, i put some shorty levers on my 300, loving it so far

VanGhost
February 11th, 2017, 09:42 PM
Hello. I saw this post and figured I would plead for help. I just installed Pazzo Ebay replica shorts on both. Now my clutch is not working. I can go into first without clutching. When I squeeze lever bike is very difficult to free wheel. Works great in neutral. I cannot go up from there. I am new to working on a mc, but wanot to learn and do what I can myself. With being destitute and penniless, it helps.
Would anyone please be so kind to give me some advice? I was told to play with adjuster by lever, no good. Someone else said that I need to adjust cable on right as well, due to short levers not having the full stroke as the stock. ???