View Full Version : Helmet paint scheme ideas...

TnNinjaGirl
January 8th, 2009, 07:29 PM
I figured this was an ok place to post this topic. Anyways, I went looking at new helmets today. I have a Vega modular helmet I love. It's heavy though. Do I need a new helmet? No, the one I have is brand new. But oh well. Anyways, I like the Shoei RF-1000 everyone talks about. I don't like their modular helmet though (don't remember the model). Our paint guy has taken a liking to "true flame" painting and he's pretty good at it. Being that I'm a girl Iwas thinking maybe I'd have him do some "true flame" in a pink color scheme. Here's a pic of what he did to his tool cabinet.

NICUNinja
January 8th, 2009, 07:32 PM
Great idea, the pink will look good I'm sure. I bought a black with pink barb wire design.

kkim
January 8th, 2009, 07:32 PM
May want to do a bit of research on painting a helmet before you do so. If done correctly, no problem, but if not, you run the risk of weakening the helmet.

If you look on the websites of most helmet manufactures, they recommend not painting helmets.

TnNinjaGirl
January 8th, 2009, 07:34 PM
Wow, kkim, didn't know that. Don't want my noggin turned into a scrambled egg. Though, how do they paint them? Screen process or decals I'd imagine. I kinda wish I was ignorant to the fact it could kill me. I was excited about the idea.

BlackKarma
January 8th, 2009, 07:39 PM
Here's my Scorpion EXO-700 I hand painted...:D I used Testors model paint.

http://i34.photobucket.com/albums/d132/Luftcooler/2008_0502MyBike0016.jpg

kkim
January 8th, 2009, 07:42 PM
I think it has to do with the helmet material and which paint to use with the appropriate helmet shell material. Like I said, if the painter knows what he's doing, no problem, so don't give up on your idea. Troy Lee made a fortune painting custom helmets.

I was just warning that there is a downside if not done properly.
:)

Erin_S
January 8th, 2009, 07:46 PM
I hear it's cheaper and safer to go with a vynal wrap.

Anyone know how much a vynal wrap would cost? my plain black helmet is getting a bit boring...

Though I did just get a pink visor! ^_^

TnNinjaGirl
January 8th, 2009, 07:46 PM
He's a biker as well, I guess I'll have to talk to him about it. Black Karma, I like your style. I see you are from East TN. Some weather huh?

BlackKarma
January 8th, 2009, 07:51 PM
Yeah,can't wait for a little warmer time.Maybe this weekend,but it's supposed to rain! :eek:

TnNinjaGirl
January 8th, 2009, 07:55 PM
I'm going for some indoor action this weekend. Cabin Fever at I-75 Expo. Better than nothing I guess. Did a bit of riding today. Tomorrow is supposed to be nice. Maybe I'll take a long lunch. Not to hijack my own thread again, sorry guys!!

BlueTyke
January 8th, 2009, 08:18 PM
Hehehe

I would go with what ever color you like. Screw "because I am a girl" crap. Yeah its nice to let people know your a Lady Rider but why wear something you don't like? I for one loath pink... Though my gear is 'girlie'. I have leather pants that have gray hawaiian print flowers on it. My new helmet has tribal and gray hawaiian print flowers.. So I match.. How girlie is that?? Anway!

If you like pink this is obviously an invalid point...

noche_caliente
January 8th, 2009, 09:54 PM
Sunny - you sound like me - I refuse to buy any gear that has pink on it! Though I now have 4 jackets, 2 pairs of pants, 2 pairs of boots, 3 pairs of gloves, and 2 visors for my helmet! Talk about stereotypical girl habits! :D

BlueTyke
January 8th, 2009, 09:59 PM
LOL well I am not that bad... I have one pair of gloves (now the others fell apart and no where local sells Alpine star gloves), Two jackets & pants (one mesh one leather), one pair of boots.... Though I do have two helmets, only because one is full face and the other is flip up/modular.

Cling
January 8th, 2009, 10:12 PM
haha wow, I need to do that I think, I have crashed around 8 times, many over 100MPH at the track, and have never even gotten so much as a bruise from any of them, I think I must be Bruce Willis from Unbreakable.

Here's my Scorpion EXO-700 I hand painted...:D I used Testors model paint.

http://i34.photobucket.com/albums/d132/Luftcooler/2008_0502MyBike0016.jpg

TnNinjaGirl
January 8th, 2009, 11:53 PM
Congrats on the the no injury report, Cling. Let's keep it that way.

Sunny, I like pink (so in your face!! j/k) plus I have never seen true flame in pink. Only in blue and red. I figured I might as well go with something off the wall. I'm not too concerned with impressing anyone. Just leads to show-boating and other bad habits as far as I'm concerned. If it makes you feel better though my helmet is black, white and champange. Pants are black, both pairs of gloves are black and one jacket is black. My other jacket is black with a pink stripe. It doesn'y have pads in it so i've just been wearing it around town lately. I got a deal on it I just couldn't pass up so I had to have it.

Oh wait... I have it figured out now, this is just everyone's way of saying I don;t look good in pink, isn't it? I see...

KnoxNinja
January 9th, 2009, 12:41 AM
Go with what you like. Pink is A-Okay with me for the ladies. I had a friend who painted all her fairings pink, and it looked really good. BlackKarma, nice graphics on that EXO. You did a really good job! It looks like a decal.

If you do decide to go with vinyl instead of paint Corey Beth, I know a guy who owns a graphic and sign shop in West Knoxville that can do it. I'm probably going to have him wrap my bike(s) when I finally figure out what design to do.

TnNinjaGirl
January 9th, 2009, 01:04 AM
Can he do something like the true flame? Regular flames are kind of... boring... to me at this point. Or, maybe he has a design I like better. I'll have to check it out.

kkim
January 9th, 2009, 01:37 AM
some vinyl wrap...
http://www.2fiddy.com/2008/08/wrap-that-pickle-then-slip-her-a-tickle/

KnoxNinja
January 9th, 2009, 01:40 AM
some vinyl wrap...
http://www.2fiddy.com/2008/08/wrap-that-pickle-then-slip-her-a-tickle/

Now that is NICE.

They can probably do about anything... as long as a printer can print it on vinyl it's all good.

ken_here
January 14th, 2009, 02:35 PM
THere is a youtube of that flame wrap being put on by the company if anyone is interested. It looked very difficult to apply to me.