View Full Version : My New Little Beasty

tnr4
October 8th, 2012, 07:58 PM
Hey friends,

I finally brought her home -- my new baby! Of course, it was the coldest day of the year so far, with constant rain, so I rode 120 miles through 45 degree showers. Funny thing though, I didn't care! :D

First observations: I was nervous about whether I was really prepared for how much slower this was going to be than my 675, but I didn't need to be. I LOVE this bike. Under 4k or so it's a little tedious, but 5-10k is a lot of fun, and I actually get to use all the gears. In addition, there are several things I like better than my Triumph: better wind protection, easier clutch, smoother throttle, more comfortable, and generally just more relaxing. Since it was raining and the tires were like ice, I didn't get to do any of the less relaxing (fun) riding, but I'm pretty confident that that will go well also. And I have to say, I was shocked at how well the Roadwinner tires performed in the rain -- totally confidence-inspiring. In addition, after 120 miles of hard, break-in riding (lots of warm-up for several heat cycles, revving and engine braking a lot, rather than droning at a fuel-efficient pace), I still had more than half a tank left. I filled it back up just so I could measure: nearly 55 mpg in those gas-guzzling conditions.

The guys at the dealership said that if I want to ride back out there for it, they'll do my break-in service for free. What, you think I would ride into the mountains on any nice day I could pick and let someone else change my oil for free? Why yes, yes I will do that. :thumbup:

It was a good day. I'm thrilled to have a Ninjette in my garage again.

Pic PS: Given the sh***y weather, I didn't have a great photo op. But here's one of me at the dealership getting to know her; one in the 'beautiful' weather while I'm thawing in a coffee shop; and one tucked in back home after I got her in and cleaned her up.

Alex
October 8th, 2012, 07:59 PM
Congrats!

Byakkotai
October 8th, 2012, 08:13 PM
The first rain tested Ninja 300? :thumbup: Seems like the IRCs do what they are advertised to do, which is a good thing to know. Congrats on your new ride as well!

Snake
October 8th, 2012, 08:15 PM
Congratulations it looks great

spawned4562
October 8th, 2012, 08:17 PM
Beautiful bike, glad your happy with it. I was really excited when they announced the new 300 happy to hear people are happy with it.

Surferboy120
October 8th, 2012, 08:39 PM
Congrats to you and the long ride home in the rain. :thumbup: I just got caught in the rain yesterday and had the same fear about the tires but that fear was short lived. They functioned as designed. I love this 300 I am so glad they came out with this bike.

JELY1990
October 8th, 2012, 08:50 PM
The 300 really looks good in that color. Congrats!
Is that a Kriega US-20 on the back? I'm thinking about getting one and am curious about how big it would look on the bike.

tnr4
October 8th, 2012, 08:55 PM
Thanks all!

Congrats!
Is that a Kriega US-20 on the back? I'm thinking about getting one and am curious about how big it would look on the bike.

Yup, it sure is. It's a little tricky to get the straps secured under that tiny pillion seat, but once you've got them there, it works fine. I also have a US10 and the R25 backpack. If you haven't had any Kriega stuff, it's killer. Highly recommended.

JELY1990
October 8th, 2012, 08:58 PM
Okay good to know, thanks. Ya I've heard they make quality stuff. I'll probably pick up the US20 pretty soon.

psych0hans
October 8th, 2012, 09:32 PM
That's a sweet looking bike, congratulations!!! :D

Kokosun
October 8th, 2012, 11:55 PM
I am sooooo jealous.

ChrisMKV
October 9th, 2012, 04:48 AM
Nice, the color matches great with your leathers!

ricochet08
October 9th, 2012, 10:36 AM
Hey friends,

I actually get to use all the gears. In addition, there are several things I like better than my Triumph: better wind protection, easier clutch, smoother throttle, more comfortable, and generally just more relaxing.

The guys at the dealership said that if I want to ride back out there for it, they'll do my break-in service for free. What, you think I would ride into the mountains on any nice day I could pick and let someone else change my oil for free? Why yes, yes I will do that. :thumbup:

Congrats! :D

Being able to use all the gears is one thing i definitely missed about having a Ninjette. Also i've got lower back issues (yet i love doing dead-lifts at the gym), so I enjoy the comfortable seating position.

And going on a ride through the mountains for free service sounds like a winner to me :thumbup: lol

Toly
October 9th, 2012, 10:57 AM
Glad U like it :thumbup:... but I think you are one crazeeeey dude to pick it over a Triumph :D

tnr4
October 9th, 2012, 12:59 PM
Glad U like it :thumbup:... but I think you are one crazeeeey dude to pick it over a Triumph :D

Haha. You're not alone there. If my bike was only a toy, it would have been a different story. But I need a beast of burden, who will be a good, reliable, easy, comfortable commuter every day of the year, but which will still be fun on the weekends. I've already decided the 300 wins in the category. I'll miss that shoulder-dislocating torque eventually, I'm sure, but I'll get a second bike before long. :thumbup:

tnr4
October 9th, 2012, 05:45 PM
I got to some twisty bits of road for just a little bit today to do a bit more exploring. Here are some more observations from that, and just from spending another day on the bike.

(1) The biggest negative of the bike is the mirrors; they look sharp, but they're virtually worthless. Mind you -- not worse than my old Streety's stock mirrors, which were also worthless, but I got used to the bar-ends which actually let you see behind yourself. All you get here is elbows.

(2) So I was hoping to get to really push the bike today, but it was only about 60*, and the roads in the park were still damp. So, the IRC tires would NOT warm up, and the rear tire stepped out on me twice from only moderate leans. I don't know if this means that they simply need warmer temps and asphalt that isn't cold and damp in order to stick, or if they suck. I'm guessing the former, but I'll have to hope for one more beautiful day to test that theory. So good touring tires (like I said, fantastic in the rain), but even worse than my Pilot Powers on getting warm and sticking in sub-optimal conditions.

(3) The front suspension, although budget, is nice for a big guy like me. They raised the fork oil level to slow compression and avoid bottoming out, and it works like a charm. Even though I'm 220 with gear, I haven't yet bottomed out the suspension and enjoy a comfortable ride.

(4) The slipper clutch had a strange habit of slowing my upshifts (I think I read Alex saying something similar somewhere) -- there was a one second lag for engagement which started bothering me. I finally figured out that it was because I wasn't closing the throttle enough before getting back on it, and so wasn't perfectly rev-matching, which made the slipper function engage, making it feel a little 'disconnected'. I found the appropriate throttle close/open spacing and timing, and NOW it works brilliantly. It is also a VERY short clutch engagement, at the nearly wide open point, so you can clutch two-fingers, gp style, without crushing your fingers.

(5) Later in the day, it warmed up just a bit, and I got just a couple of semi-aggressive turns in. Still not enough to comment on the tires, but handling is awesome. Clip-ons + light weight + good riding position = lightening fast transitions. Probably wouldn't feel fast coming from a supersport, but it does coming from a standard naked bike.

(6) Biggest substantive negative is the brakes: they're not bad, and you don't need much on such a small bike, but they're weak and vague, and require a very solid pull to bleed off speed. I'm also used to braking with only the front, which I had to stop doing -- I needed both brakes to really slow myself down in a hurry. Not a huge deal, but this is the clearly budget portion of the bike. If you wanted to track the bike, you'd definitely want to upgrade the brakes.

(7) As far as fun factor on the more fun roads: even though I didn't really get to push it, I had a blast. On a tight road where my speed on a perfect run with the Streety didn't usually surpass 45, I could run the whole thing in 2nd, 3rd, or 4th gears on the Ninjette, and pull strong in most any position. Leave it in second for a really satisfying scream on the faster sections, or pop it all the way into fourth, and relax through the turns, pulling smoothly out the other side.

I think that's all I got for now!

Minikin_Jo
October 10th, 2012, 12:42 PM
1.) I didn't see you post until now in the group forum so a belated "welcome"

2.) Nice write-up ^^^up there^^^ on the 300, interesting read.

3.) Did everyone get or see a WHITE 300? Has anyone seen any of the other colors (or are they all going to be white??)

4.) You weigh 220? Did I read that correctly? How tall are you?? You don't look like you weight 220 unless you are over 6' tall.

GearMonkey
October 10th, 2012, 01:14 PM
3.) Did everyone get or see a WHITE 300? Has anyone seen any of the other colors (or are they all going to be white?

I was thinking the same thing! Even at the dealer all I've seen are white. I'm beginning to think the other colors are a myth.

It is a nice looking bike and welcome Jo!

EsrTek
October 10th, 2012, 02:27 PM
Nice bike... Right now is a pretty crucial time for the engine, for your free service I would change your oil now. I changed mine 6 times by the time the 'break in service' was due.

GearMonkey
October 10th, 2012, 04:26 PM
Ahhhh now i know why white is so popular. Posted in another topic by mateo...

About the color thing they have only released the white to the USA market and a few country's in Europe and I think Australia has them all they haven't even put the 2 other colorson their site yet but there is going to be a red one and a grey one as well but the green and black r due later this year for all markets

tnr4
October 10th, 2012, 05:51 PM
1.) I didn't see you post until now in the group forum so a belated "welcome"

2.) Nice write-up ^^^up there^^^ on the 300, interesting read.

3.) Did everyone get or see a WHITE 300? Has anyone seen any of the other colors (or are they all going to be white??)

4.) You weigh 220? Did I read that correctly? How tall are you?? You don't look like you weight 220 unless you are over 6' tall.

Thanks! Haha, yes, I'm 220 *with gear* (about 200 without), and I am 6'1". Would you believe me if I said it's all muscle? Lol. :D

Ahhhh now i know why white is so popular. Posted in another topic by mateo...

I don't think red and grey are supposed to come to the US, but yes, black and green are still on their way. I got lucky, though, cuz I wanted white.

Nice bike... Right now is a pretty crucial time for the engine, for your free service I would change your oil now. I changed mine 6 times by the time the 'break in service' was due.

Yeah, I'm not quite as neurotic as some of you all, but I will change it next week (Tuesday if the weather cooperates). That won't really end up being all that early, though, as I'll probably be close to 600mi by the time I get out there. I'll do one more oil change at 1000, though, just to get out the last of the metal shavings outta' there.