View Full Version : Jacket for Skinny Guy

JustRidin
October 9th, 2012, 10:28 PM
Ok, so after finding a couple of jackets that seemed good as far as feature and price, I went around to local dealers to try them on. As I should have saw coming, they are way too big for my skinny self. I'm 5'9, 125 lb. About a 33 or 34 in chest with 33 in arms (from spine, around shoulder, to wrist). Hence in many jackets I'm in the transition from medium to large for arm length but an XS as far as chest goes.

American cut jackets basically are out I suppose. Any suggestions on a jacket that might fit well and falls in the sub $300 range. Looking for a 3 or 4 season jacket. Something I can wear down into the 50s or up to 90 ish. Leather or textile really makes no difference to me. Leather would be nice I suppose as far as protection goes but I can't argue with a functional textile one bit. Thanks for the help!

P.S. Some style is always nice to.

psych0hans
October 9th, 2012, 10:55 PM
Ok, so after finding a couple of jackets that seemed good as far as feature and price, I went around to local dealers to try them on. As I should have saw coming, they are way too big for my skinny self. I'm 5'9, 125 lb. About a 33 or 34 in chest with 33 in arms (from spine, around shoulder, to wrist). Hence in many jackets I'm in the transition from medium to large for arm length but an XS as far as chest goes.

American cut jackets basically are out I suppose. Any suggestions on a jacket that might fit well and falls in the sub $300 range. Looking for a 3 or 4 season jacket. Something I can wear down into the 50s or up to 90 ish. Leather or textile really makes no difference to me. Leather would be nice I suppose as far as protection goes but I can't argue with a functional textile one bit. Thanks for the help!

P.S. Some style is always nice to.

Why don't you try a company which custom manufactures jackets? I'm sure a quick Google search will find you plenty. Won't be too cheap, but at least it"ll fit.

Vanson Leathers Inc. Custom order forms (http://www.vansonleathers.com/vanson-race-suits/order_forms.html)

Byakkotai
October 10th, 2012, 12:04 AM
Might have to look at Dainese...the Euro 44 and 46 sizes. Though you might run into trouble with sleeve length (from top edge of shoulder to wrist bone).

Check out the Dainese Xantum D-Dry Jacket (w/ vid review at Revzilla)...a little over your $300 max but might have some features you're looking for. See if you're able to try on these Dainese jackets locally and buy locally as well.

I had this sizing issue as well...bought a Dainese Zen Evo Euro 46 jacket from Cyclegear. Leather, all black color scheme (other colors as well), some perf, comes with a thermal liner. Might outgrow it soon with exercise though...

**Forgot about the Avro Textile...I guess it looks more sporty, sub $300 - check it out!

Sonofswin
October 10th, 2012, 01:45 AM
Don't know if you can get them there or not, but Hyod jackets are built for skinny people.

I'm 5'7" about 150 and have to wear an XL. It fits well in arm length, though a bit tight in the chest if I wear more than 2 layers underneath it. (I'm more of a barrel chested type than flat chested.)

Great quality, just hard to find sometimes. (They are popular here so they sell out quickly.)

Surferboy120
October 10th, 2012, 08:25 AM
Taichi would work for you in price and cut. They are Japanese sizing so myself being 5'6 150 wears a Large LOL. They also offer a lot of adjustability with their jackets to fit most shapes and sizes. I have their leathers and textile jackets and the quality is super yet reasonably priced.

Good luck with your search. :thumbup:

sc37
October 11th, 2012, 12:24 PM
I'm 6', 150ish. The brand that has fit me the best is Speed and Strength. I'm about a 36 chest and 32/33 sleeve. Their small has fit me very well. I will probably stick with their stuff in the future since they're reasonably priced too. I've been wearing this most of the year (my review is in there if you want to see the pic of how it fits): http://www.motorcyclegear.com/street/closeouts/mesh_jackets_and_pants/speed_and_strength/moment_of_truth_sp_mesh_motorcycle_jacket.html

I just picked up a Fieldsheer jacket on clearance locally for the winter and the small in that fits well too as long as the liner is in (would have went with a S&S if this wasn't only $40!). When it's out, it's a little bigger, but not horrible if I use the straps and buttons to tighten it up: http://www.motorcyclegear.com/street/closeouts/textile_jackets_and_pants/fieldsheer/aqua_sport_2_textile_motorcycle_jacket.html

choneofakind
October 11th, 2012, 02:06 PM
Ah! you're about my size! I'm 5'9" and 135, and about the same size as well.

My jacket is a Speed and Strength Twist of Fate. I think the Twist of Fate 2.0 is the same size. It's skinny enough that it doesn't bunch up, and the arms are long enough that the make it to my wrists. It fit me the best of anything, and it's a great quality jacket. Try one on and see if it fits you as well

alex.s
October 11th, 2012, 04:15 PM
i have the same problem as you and i found the answer... gain some weight, twiggy! :D

choneofakind
October 11th, 2012, 05:25 PM
Bah. alex, let's go for a run. Then you'll be saying you need to lose weight instead :p

dk58
October 27th, 2012, 07:08 PM
I've been looking for a new jacket and I'm having the same problem. I'm 6'1", 150, and my arms are long. The sleeve length is what has been the biggest problem for me.